Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im not convinced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

hdowney wrote: »
    i don't think that everyone who doesn't have a job doesn't want one. i just do come across a fair number of two groups, the had a good job and doesn't want to work at anything less group, and the doesn't want to work a day dole scrounger group. after a while dealing with these two you can become a bit jaded and judgemental of people in general and possibly jump to conclusions based on the most megar of information

Well clearly you haven`t accounted for the third group then. Now admittedly I am currently not looking I had intended in aggressively trying to get something out of the holidays but I can barely leave bed with morning sickness (which I am renaming all day sickness) but if you have a job my hubby will be there any time you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

braintoxic wrote: »
    And you my friend are an idiot .i bet u live with mammy and daddy . Run along this is sa post for grown ups . Look look a santa grotto .off u go little man

Keep it civil please people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Eoin wrote: »
    Keep it civil please people.

Honestly, do you smell a troll?

There are people out there, in genuine despair at how hard they're finding it to get a job - anything. And there are people who will take pleasure in rubbing it in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

krd wrote: »

There are people out there, in genuine despair at how hard they're finding it to get a job - anything. And there are people who will take pleasure in rubbing it in their faces.

+1

I have a job, but I recognise I'm very lucky to have it. The "on yer bike" merchants sicken me when anyone can see we're in the middle of the biggest economic depression since the 1930's, if not a bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

i have to agree with the op, there are alot of people saying there is no jobs but the only field they want to work in is the one they are qualified in. there are some low level jobs there that people wont do. just because you are qualified at something does not mean thats the only jobs you should aim for. im doing an apprenticeship as an electrician and ill be finished next year, i know there wont be any electrical jobs in ireland and i dont want to work as anything else so ill leave the country if needs be. if you want to stay in ireland you should take any job avaliable and if you dont want to then stop complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

theg81der wrote: »
    Well clearly you haven`t accounted for the third group then. Now admittedly I am currently not looking I had intended in aggressively trying to get something out of the holidays but I can barely leave bed with morning sickness (which I am renaming all day sickness) but if you have a job my hubby will be there any time you want.

believe me i do account for the third group. i am it. i have applied for countless jobs (college student who had to defer a year due to being sick, but still looking for job) had interviews and all but nothing doing yet. still gonna keep trying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Braintoxic - did you target the market and spot a gap? Was security an informed choice? I`ve recently finished a degree in Accounting and there are no accouting jobs. I am 100% willing to retrain but as I have a level 8 now I`m not eligable for any training. I can`t afford to pay for education right now. My husbands not working and has done 7 courses fas recommended and has a huge pile of rejection letters from anywhere and everywhere. He feels so bad about not being able to support me and the baby we have on the way but not everyone has you confidence and I think this is his issue.

Its very simplistic and incorrect to say everyone who doesn`t have a job doesn`t want one really.
    Ok so . I did look into it and for the moment this industry is on the increase , unfortunatly as the recession takes hold there is more need for security so its a good job to be considering . I wont be popular for this comment but most security officers leave a lot to be desired,we all have "that" security guard image!!
    people like me who appreciate being given a ,chance and who have morals and principals n take pride in their apperance and work shine in this industry . There are huge oppurtunities.
    You can choose retail or industrial,some companies pay above the JLC rates n still give shift allowences n unsociable hours premiums . The industry is governed by inland revenue.gardai and social services .the body is called the PSA .so that affords you job protection from unreasonable employers.
    Pm me and il give u an idea of earnings.
    The hard facts are you dont need a high level of education ( iv no leaving cert) but companies desire english speaking presentable people that they can put in any location .when i started i had clients requesting me because im friendly polite helpful and i did not have that usual security guard image n attitude....

Braintoxic - did you target the market and spot a gap? Was security an informed choice? I`ve recently finished a degree in Accounting and there are no accouting jobs. I am 100% willing to retrain but as I have a level 8 now I`m not eligable for any training. I can`t afford to pay for education right now. My husbands not working and has done 7 courses fas recommended and has a huge pile of rejection letters from anywhere and everywhere. He feels so bad about not being able to support me and the baby we have on the way but not everyone has you confidence and I think this is his issue.

Its very simplistic and incorrect to say everyone who doesn`t have a job doesn`t want one really.
    Ok so . I did look into it and for the moment this industry is on the increase , unfortunatly as the recession takes hold there is more need for security so its a good job to be considering . I wont be popular for this comment but most security officers leave a lot to be desired,we all have "that" security guard image!!
    people like me who appreciate being given a ,chance and who have morals and principals n take pride in their apperance and work shine in this industry . There are huge oppurtunities.
    You can choose retail or industrial,some companies pay above the JLC rates n still give shift allowences n unsociable hours premiums . The industry is governed by inland revenue.gardai and social services .the body is called the PSA .so that affords you job protection from unreasonable employers.
    Pm me and il give u an idea of earnings.
    The hard facts are you dont need a high level of education ( iv no leaving cert) but companies desire english speaking presentable people that they can put in any location .when i started i had clients requesting me because im friendly polite helpful and i did not have that usual security guard image n attitude....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I`ve recently finished a degree in Accounting and there are no accouting jobs.

In stead of looking for a job, why not try and offer a service? Accountants are expensive and there are lots of small businesses looking for ways to reduce the accountants fees... Of course you can't sign off on an audit, but here is nothing stopping you doing payroll, VAT returns, accounts to trial balance, Companies office returns, you can even do full accounts for companies with an audit exemption...

If you can show people that you'll add value by reducing their account fees, they'll talk to you. But it will mean a lot of cold calling..

eastbono wrote: »
    I can see and understand where you are coming from... but there are not enough jobs for everyone who now find themselves unemployed to be employed.And not everyone is in a position where they can move for job prospects e.g. family, mortgage. My major bugbear and soapbox was when we had "total employment" we still had 140,000 long term unemployed and had to look abroad to fill our job vacancies.

All the more reason to "push" people who can to get a job off the queue... if after a certain period say 18 months or 2 years a person has not found a job in their area, then they should be required to take what is going, if anything. After a reasonable time frame there is no reason why the tax payer should continue to foot the bill, if a person can find an alternative source of income they should be required to do so. This is what is done in other European countries, so why not here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

My 2 cents to this, if anyone feels offended please let me know.

I am sure that there are people out there that genuinely are fighting to get a job but for many reasons didn't get one yet or for health reasons can't work. My post is not referring to those people but the ones the OP is talking about.

I really think people that think they are too "good" to work "lower" jobs should get a cut on SW. In this regard I really thing the Budget cut in the wrong places. No one can tell me that people can't live for, let's say, 120€ a month if I usually use about 100€ a week(that INCLUDES fuel to get to work, which is 50km from home) without receiving I-don't-know-what other benefits. Also, that money feeds 2 (TWO) people atm.

When I came to Ireland my only qualifications were a leaving-cert equivalent from my country and 2 years of part-time work in a supermarket. I did study 2 courses in the 6 years before I moved and didn't finish either but still....I managed to get a job. Now I am not a confident person and I know I was lucky in so far that my job required fluency in my mother tongue and is in the games industry that I am very passionate about but yet, it did work out.

But people with the attitude that it is better to suck the state than work an honest job really disgust me. What gives them the right to live the high life (because they are the ones that know how to milk every cent and benefit) while others work to finance their livestyle? We do need stricter regulations to see who is in actual need of receiving SW because they have no other choice. People need to prep up, the "good times" are over at the moment (and might never come back to such an extend).

So cut the benefits for those that don't want to work and give it to those that are in actual need. There is work out there for many (even if not all). Don't complain the "foreigners are stealing your jobs" if you would never do the job the foreigner you complain about is doing.

Funnily enough all the cleaning personal in my company is Polish....I wonder why....:rolleyes:

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In stead of looking for a job, why not try and offer a service? Accountants are expensive and there are lots of small businesses looking for ways to reduce the accountants fees... Of course you can't sign off on an audit, but here is nothing stopping you doing payroll, VAT returns, accounts to trial balance, Companies office returns, you can even do full accounts for companies with an audit exemption...

If you can show people that you'll add value by reducing their account fees, they'll talk to you. But it will mean a lot of cold calling..

I can`t do these things yet that what the training contract is for. You learn the theory in college you wouldn`t be anywhere near where you need to be to be able to do these things. We didn`t even have computerised accounts or payroll - these would be the things I would like to learn now but there is no courses available to me or that I can afford. Theres a big difference in leaning IAS`s and tax theory and doing it. I really need to get some exams under my belt for ACCA and the Irish Tax Institute. We are excemped fromt he basic exams because thats the standard you leave college at.

I have approach accounting firms saying I`ll work for free to get enough experience to do this and they refused!

Braintoxic - your blocked from receiving PM`s so I can`t msg you back.

But its not a secret his industry is renewable energy - wind turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I had a great job and d company folded like many others.my work was construction related.i took a few months off n den knuckled down to finding employment.i was prepared to do anything as long as it gave me an honest wage.i applied dor every job i saw from fast food outlets to public service jobs . I was serious about finding a job .e.this is the way i looked at it . I get x amount on the job seekers allowence.any few euros i earn over that amount is worth working for.i got a job easy enough and need not have stressed so much . Sure i work d odd night and every other weekend but im earning a healthy honest wage.my life is great and im so happy.iv an easy job compared to my previous and my life is stress free .
    .what promts this thread is a conversation i had with a guy i know.
    He WAS a block layer .i asked him if he had any work lately ( a conversation iv had a lot lately) . He said . No nothing out there I HAVE NOT LAYED A BLOCK IN TWO YEARS..i know ww can all talk anout individual cases but iv spoke to a lot of different people and nothing seems to have changed ..i dont understand?? Im not convinced people are trying and r as deaperate as the government n media lead us to believe. I think the work is out there but we as a nation have big ideas avout who we were..am i alone in this view? Wat do u think?

I have read the first page of comments and while I doubt that you are a perfect human being, I think a lot of people are being harsh. It seems that you were smart enough to recognise that there was little work in what you were trained at and retrained for something whee you can find work. I wonder whether you'd really have worked for a few euro more than the JSA but that's of little relevance.

Not sure how old you are and whether the block layer might be more settled in his life/job but fair fecks to you for getting on in life in a hard environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

krd wrote: »

And no back-seat moderation either, please. If you have a problem with a post, use the report button.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As someone else said why not... in most other European countries unemployment benefits are limited to a specific period and after that you become what is commonly called a "social case" meaning that to get any further financial assistance you have to show that you have exhausted all other financial resources - savings, sold the BMW, moved to cheaper housing and so on. You still qualify for training courses etc... but no cash!

The same is true here: JSB is for 12 months after that, you are means-tested against the net value ALL your assests. And the "income-equivalent-value" of those assets is rather high: I own a very modest house in another country, with a small mortgage. The rent I get from it (before tax) is roughly the same as the rent I'm paying here, but still it was enough to totally disqualify me from JSA after my JSB eligibility ran out.

Actually, it's harsher here, because to get rent-allowance, you need to be living somewhere cheap from the very start of the claim: if your housing is too nice (and in Galway, practically everywhere is "too nice") then you get not RA at all.

I can`t do these things yet that what the training contract is for. You learn the theory in college you wouldn`t be anywhere near where you need to be to be able to do these things. We didn`t even have computerised accounts or payroll - these would be the things I would like to learn now but there is no courses available to me or that I can afford. Theres a big difference in leaning IAS`s and tax theory and doing it. I really need to get some exams under my belt for ACCA and the Irish Tax Institute. We are excemped fromt he basic exams because thats the standard you leave college at.

I have approach accounting firms saying I`ll work for free to get enough experience to do this and they refused!

Well first of all bookkeeping is a very practical skill, so if you have a degree in accounting you have enough to do what I'm suggesting, what you need is a bit of confidence and a bit of cheek to get going...

As I see it, you can either sit around in the hope that a training contract might come or get up and do some thing about it. BTW, I'm a chartered accountant myself, so I know a bit about this area.

I've worked in Switzerland on a freelance basis for well over 20 years now and during that time I've never been unemployed and it is mainly because I work hard at networking and tacking down assignments. My German is passable and my French is terrible, but yet I often get assignments over natives, simply because I'm open to what the clients are looking for and push that little bit harder. I know cold calling is not much fun, but in these times it is probably your best bet.

JustMary wrote: »
    The same is true here: JSB is for 12 months after that, you are means-tested against the net value ALL your assests. And the "income-equivalent-value" of those assets is rather high: I own a very modest house in another country, with a small mortgage. The rent I get from it (before tax) is roughly the same as the rent I'm paying here, but still it was enough to totally disqualify me from JSA after my JSB eligibility ran out.

Actually, it's harsher here, because to get rent-allowance, you need to be living somewhere cheap from the very start of the claim: if your housing is too nice (and in Galway, practically everywhere is "too nice") then you get not RA at all.

Not the same thing, means tested implies that you are allowed to have some assets and still get state support... here (Switzerland) you got to be at zero and really zero, before you get anything, meaning you have to sell the house etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

BTW, I'm a chartered accountant myself, so I know a bit about this area.

That's probably the problem, what you are suggesting is very basic for you, but would be unchartered (see what I did there!) territory for her.

theg81der,

Registering with a professional body (not technician) is your next step, and start getting more exams.

Well first of all bookkeeping is a very practical skill, so if you have a degree in accounting you have enough to do what I'm suggesting, what you need is a bit of confidence and a bit of cheek to get going...

As I see it, you can either sit around in the hope that a training contract might come or get up and do some thing about it. BTW, I'm a chartered accountant myself, so I know a bit about this area.

I've worked in Switzerland on a freelance basis for well over 20 years now and during that time I've never been unemployed and it is mainly because I work hard at networking and tacking down assignments. My German is passable and my French is terrible, but yet I often get assignments over natives, simply because I'm open to what the clients are looking for and push that little bit harder. I know cold calling is not much fun, but in these times it is probably your best bet.

Its not a confidence issue I can`t offer a service I`m unable to provide. I`ve never worked with a real accountant. What your taught in college is always very different from reality.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Registering with a professional body (not technician) is your next step, and start getting more exams.

Yes, but as you can see at the moment the OP is having difficulty doing this...

I also am aware of at least 3 people offering bookkeeping type services and they probable are not as well qualified as the OP!!! Desperate times calls for desperate measures...

smcgiff wrote: »
    That's probably the problem, what you are suggesting is very basic for you, but would be unchartered (see what I did there!) territory for her.

theg81der,

I know and before my excemptions run out but money is a bit of an issue it`ll be very expensive because I have to pay per excemption and registration kinda was holding out hoping I`d get a job but now with baby on the way don`t think thats happening so will have to try register for next exams.

Would you prioritise ACCA or tax institute registration? I really like tax but realise I have to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I can't believe some of the posts in here.

"Would you expect an unemployed doctor to work in McDonalds?" Eh, YEAH. If he needs the money and while waiting for a suitable position to come up. I can't even believe that is a question.

And that is the epitome of so many Irish people who think certain jobs are below them. To them I say, grow a pair.

I see it all the time. I was in the Pavilions last year with a mate who had been unemployed for 2 years. I noticed a sign in a sandwhich/coffee shop looking for full time workers. I pointed it out to him and he gave me the dirtiest look ever and a "f*ck that!", as if there was no way he was ever working there. Another mate I'm currently working with said he'd never be caught dead working in places like McDonalds even if he was desperate for money.

You'll never get the Irish out of this country.

Well im off to work again tonight as a security officer . Il get double pay for a 12 hour shift .i only have to work 40 hours which means 3 shifts a week n 4 at d end of d month . Life is good and again i feel proud wen i pay my own bills and dont need hand outs ..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

my work was construction related
    Do you think that this sort of job gave you a body that could dish out more physical force? Also, are you stuck to one area with a family or not? Finally, have you gotten attacked due to your job, after job hours?
    Chessala wrote: »
    Funnily enough all the cleaning personal in my company is Polish....I wonder why....:rolleyes:
    Often because the employer knows that they'll stay long term, and not move to another job when one comes up.

the_syco wrote: »
    my work was construction related
    Do you think that this sort of job gave you a body that could dish out more physical force? Also, are you stuck to one area with a family or not? Finally, have you gotten attacked due to your job, after job hours?

I have a mortgage so i live and work here .id never have to move .you dont need to be physical to work industrial or retail security .your thinking of door work.i work in a control room .security work is highky regulated now so we never ever have to put ourselves at risk in any way shape r form .wat gets me is i work 60 to 70 hours some weeks because its so busy n still none if my old work mates have tried this work !! ...but still complain they have no work

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

@ braintoxic, fair play to ya for working in the security industry, not an industry I'd be fond of being in. It might not be too bad doing the shops or something similar but patrolling schools, factories etc on your own at night is a different matter, theres always the risk of getting a hiding from some gurriers looking to get their thieving hands on something.
    While I agree with the sentiments of some posters saying it's better to be working than being on the dole and that also that there are jobs out there, the problem is the location of jobs in relation to a persons place of abode.
    I have found with jobs I have applied for the question of experience is the killer not whether I had the qualifications, hell I even offered to go on an internship for one local business just to try and get my foot in the door but that offer was dismissed without a thought.
    I have over 20 years work experience with good references, have done a few courses since I became unemployed but I'm finding it difficult to find any employment I'm capable of doing.
    The statement that there are a good number of jobs out there is only true in relation to some industries and/or locations, I understand there is even a shortage of people in some sectors of the I.T. industry, but not everybody is cut out/is able to be retrained/has the experience/able to relocate or travel to take up those jobs.

Fair point i suppose but like i said u have a choice .u can work retail I
    Or industrial and there are lone worker procedures to protect u . U could get beat up in any job where u work with the public . All our officers have to check in hourly and we we have mobile vans on patril all d tine if needed . All night officers only patrol lit up areas with set points and d gardai will be on location immediatly if a security office is worried or sees people he or she dont like the look of .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there - can you use less text speak please?

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    Hi there - can you use less text speak please?
    ..ok il try

Advertisement