Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go to the pub on Christmas Day, would you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Nope, not mad on pubs myself anyway plus christmas is a family day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's not really fair on the people who don't celebrate Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Na wouldn't be Interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i think its a great idea. friends of mine in the uk get up in the morning, open the pressies, chill for a bit, get glammed up, go with the family to a nice pub near them for xmas dinner and pints, meet the friends and neighbours, good cheer and all that jazz, and mosey home in the evening and continue the celebrations there. no mess, no fuss, no cooking, no stuck on the sofa bored etc. sounds bloody perfect!
    it should be optional for pubs to open on xmas day, and if they choose to do so the workers should be paid a special rate, and the staff that work xmas day should get new years off and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

robinph wrote: »
    Just because the pubs in the UK are allowed to open does not mean that they have to open, so the rubbish about bar staff needing a day off is just that, rubbish.

Who decides whether to open?

The owner.

Will he/she be working aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

gigawatt wrote: »
    i think its a great idea. friends of mine in the uk get up in the morning, open the pressies, chill for a bit, get glammed up, go with the family to a nice pub near them for xmas dinner and pints, meet the friends and neighbours, good cheer and all that jazz, and mosey home in the evening and continue the celebrations there. no mess, no fuss, no cooking, no stuck on the sofa bored etc. sounds bloody perfect!

That sounds utterly depressing tbh.

Each to their own I suppose.
    it should be optional for pubs to open on xmas day, and if they choose to do so the workers should be paid a special rate, and the staff that work xmas day should get new years off and vice versa.

In a perfect world.

The reality is they wouldn't have enough staff for both days to be mutually exclusive in rostering terms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mossyc123 wrote: »

In a perfect world.

The reality is they wouldn't have enough staff for both days to be mutually exclusive in rostering terms

Sounds great to me, I'm supposed to cook for a bunch of eejits on Sunday, other orphans, and I'd rather just get it served to me somewhere! Will be straight to the battle cruiser after dinner though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

That's a bit arrogant, dont you think? Not everyone has the opportunity for your perfect Christmas with the family. Where I was brought up, almost all of the pubs and working men's clubs are open on Christmas day. They are jam packed, with bookings taken months in advance, mostly with pensioners groups who get together for Christmas lunch.

If not for that, then I know many of my Grandmother's friends would have nowhere to go and no-one to see on Christmas day. If there is community demand, then pubs open, and most of them do. If not, they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

No I wouldn't, spend the day with family & the night is for fun with friends at a house party. The Pub would be just too impersonal compared to the craic we have. Happy Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The pub I work in opens Christmas Eve and Stephen's Day, everyone gets sloppy, people bring their families and start arguing, people who come out once a year pile in and then won't leave "I bought 3 pints at last orders even though you explained to me quite clearly that I only had half an hour to drink them but I bought them so I'll finish them and then use the excuse that its christmas" :mad:

Christmas day would be ten times worse, it wouldnt be worth it, they'd kill each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Christmas day would be ten times worse, it wouldnt be worth it, they'd kill each other.

Not if the pub decided to only open for the day and shut for the evening. Again, just because the licenseing hours say that you can stay open until x o'clock does not mean that you have to.

Perfectly civilised for a pub to open and do lunches let people have a couple of pints in the afternoon and then kick everyone back out again and home in time for the Eastenders Omnibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

No, my poor mother would have a psychotic meltdown if me and the oul fella announced we were heading to the pub on Christmas Day.

I cannot understand this. What is it with mothers and being able to act like absolute dictators when it comes to Christmas Day? :mad::mad: I'm absolutely petrified of my mother at this time of year. It's her way or death basically. There's her in the house, my dad, my three brothers and me every Christmas. The five of us couldn't give a shìt if we had a turkey or a microwaved shepherd's pie. But the stresses of the last few days are just awful. And all because she can give us something that we couldn't care less about if we tried.

/rant

To those of you who are religious: I will be living abroad next year. Please pray to whoever you believe in the my local airport's runway will magically just disappear or get coated in unsaltable ice around 20/21 December. I would actually be the happiest person on earth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

A day for spending with the Lord and family for me in front of the fire watching scrooge with Jack frost nippin at me toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Robdude wrote: »
    Is there some law that says you can't?

Not allowed.

Although I assume hotels and the like can server alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

number10a wrote: »
    You have no option for "I would, but pubs are too fùcking dear in this country!".
    You don't have to buy the pub to drink in it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I like the fact the most of the country shuts down for the day, it may be an outdated tradition but it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Also, how crap must someones family life be if you can't spend 1 day at home with them?!

Who the hell are you to make assumptions about other peoples "family lives" or even that they have any family :rolleyes:

Advertisement