Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go to the pub on Christmas Day, would you?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

One of my friends was complaining about the fact that he cannot go to his local for a few on Christmas Day. IMO Christmas Day is for relaxing and stuffing my face full of as much food as possible, then a quick tipsy row with a random family member and Bed. FFS he can drink all he wasnt from Stephens day on!

Would you go to the pub on Christmas Day given the chance?

A Drink to Jebus 206 votes

Hell Yea, another day, another session!
    0% 0 votes
    No, other things to be doing...tomorrow though..
    27% 56 votes
    I don't Drink that much, so no.
    49% 101 votes
    I dont drink at all, so no.
    16% 35 votes
    Sit at home and play Atari Jaguar all day.
    6% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Country pubs never close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nah i like doing the family thing at home on Christmas day and the pub with my mates on Stephens day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Probably, after a day with my extended family it is warranted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

probably would this year, spending it with a friend and all, but a regular Christmas, no I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

yes, probably just for a while,to supplement the festivities which become quite boring year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

No. You get to have a few drinks with family members you probably wouldn't over the course of the year. What's one day missing out on the pub. Pub is so quiet these days you can tell who'll be there and when, and how the conversation will go. Quite boring really. Sayin that. Stephens day with some ballads is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Nah, get pissed during the Christmas dinner on beer and cheap wine and let the ****ers know what I really think of them for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No its family time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Probably not, think it's ridiculous that in Ireland it's a purely hypothetical argument though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Who wants to work Christmas Day, not bar workers I'd imagine. Plus family run pubs should be allowed have a second day off in the year, especially on Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The pubs are open on christmas day where I live anyway and while I have sometimes gone to the pub on the day , I'm equally happy to stay at home all day with family if that is the plan . This year instead of going out on boxing day as usual we will be going to a 21st ,karaokee themed party at chinese restaurant on the 30th .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Not a chance, love a few drinks at home with the family Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

well isnt it obvious that workers wouldnt want to spend their christmas in a pub. fair enough if he wants a few drinks. buy them so. But its fair enough that they be closed. It's a bit of selfish view, considering someone has to give up their christmas for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think people should have choice.

I wouldn't go though - Xmas day is for friends and family.

I suppose for lonely people it would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I think people should have choice.

I wouldn't go though - Xmas day is for friends and family.

I suppose for lonely people it would be handy.

Would the Bar workers get a choice though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I think laws like that, which are designed to suit Christians, are quite unfair to members of our growing Muslim community. Why shouldn't they be able to pop down to the pub and enjoy a few pints if they feel like it, especially with all that corny Christian stuff on TV?:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Guill wrote: »

Meh, I know someone working in a shop on all the "main days" over the next few weeks. That's life. And double time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

my OH is from the north, it's the done thing up there to go the pub and get smashed after all the family stuff

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I think laws like that, which are designed to suit Christians, are quite unfair to members of our growing Muslim community. Why shouldn't they be able to pop down to the pub and enjoy a few pints if they feel like it, especially with all that corny Christian stuff on TV?:):):)

I didnt think Muslims were allowed drink? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I no a place that opens Xmas day they get a good crowd in too mostly old widows and widowers its good that they have somewhere to go rather than being home on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Guill wrote: »
    Also Taxi drivers would have to work, if they didn't someone else would.

Due to lots of people out drinking Garda, who would normally be able to take the day off, would have to work.

Not to mention nurses, doctors and other hospital workers.

Next people would clamor for public transport to be available on the day, seeing as so many people are feckin well working.

Finally we end up with a crappy version of Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MGHOW

Is it just me or do Irish Women get even pickier around Christmas time (if that's even possible)?

MGHOW wrote: »
    Is it just me or do Irish Women get even pickier around Christmas time (if that's even possible)?

Ah you're starting your shíte again tonight, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Kiera wrote: »
    I didnt think Muslims were allowed drink? :confused:

I don't think unmarried christians are supposed to shag, either. But I've heard it sometimes happens. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

God no. Free drink and lovely food at home, with no venturing out into the cold.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I don't think unmarried christians are supposed to shag, either. But I've heard it sometimes happens. :D:D:D

:eek: Never!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't think it's just Irish women (if that's possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We'll just cut to the chase I think.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Would love a couple of pints round 11am, home for the dinner, go back to the pub then from around 5pm til closing, bring the folks, it'd be great!

Advertisement