Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go to the pub on Christmas Day, would you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes if the pub was even open for a few hours or a short period of time like an hour or two in the day. Bring more festive cheer whether you drink or not shouldn't matter. Then again Christmas is a family day after all....but if you have friends the pub is the best place to hang out....

Sure its open Christmas Eve, St Stephen's Day, New Years Eve. Not sure think it open New Years Day too?

If given a choice I rather be in a pub on Christmas Day than in the Church!

It be handy to have a bit of a party in the pub like brighten up good spirits and all that. Be Merry be Happy!

Though there be more plonk to go around though if at home...tough choice! You can drink as much as you want I guess till you go to bed. Remember drink lots of water/fluids and minerals in between. If you don't drink then, be merry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think people should have choice.

I wouldn't go though - Xmas day is for friends and family.

I suppose for lonely people it would be handy.
    Guill wrote: »
    Would the Bar workers get a choice though?

I guess they should have a choice too in an idea world.

Point taken though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

sit at home and play Rolando Jaguar all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

You have no option for "I would, but pubs are too fùcking dear in this country!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Good Friday - yes.

Christmas Day - no.

Fourth Monday in January - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Not at all. Plenty of drink at home, why would you want to? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Also Taxi drivers would have to work, if they didn't someone else would.

Due to lots of people out drinking Garda, who would normally be able to take the day off, would have to work.

Not to mention nurses, doctors and other hospital workers.

Next people would clamor for public transport to be available on the day, seeing as so many people are feckin well working.

Finally we end up with a crappy version of Sunday.

+1 on that.

Opening the pubs would be slippery slope time as far as keeping it a really proper rest day.

Also, how crap must someones family life be if you can't spend 1 day at home with them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Guill wrote: »
    Would the Bar workers get a choice though?

But the bar workers don't get a choice now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Snakeblood wrote: »
    But the bar workers don't get a choice now?

Touche..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

I used to work Christmas day in a hotel, it used to make Christmas dinners mostly for OAP's. Double time and OAP's are the best tippers especially around Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yes. I will be there tomorrow drinking my ass off. I have a good relationship with my family but I hate the trapped feeling I get on Xmas day when everything is shut. I am in London this year so I'm looking forwad to the novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, to be fair id say a lot of people might like to go to the pub to break up the day with the family

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No, my poor mother would have a psychotic meltdown if me and the oul fella announced we were heading to the pub on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Kiera wrote: »
    I didn' think Muslims were allowed drink? :confused:

No but some of the young lads I know who have come over to study also drink, some of them go a bit mad breaking some of the rules when they're over here before they go back to reality.

Just like any religion, mormons aren't allowed to have tattoos and some do, and Catholics aren't allowed to do this and that and loads do.

Although thats not true for a majourity of Muslims so I'm not arguing for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

saa wrote: »
    No but some of the young lads I know who have come over to study also drink, some of them go a bit mad breaking some of the rules when they're over here before they go back to reality.

Just like any religion, mormons aren't allowed to have tattoos and some do, and Catholics aren't allowed to do this and that and loads do.

Although thats not true for a majourity of Muslims so I'm not arguing for it.

The "Muslims" I work with are pisshead! They still go to mosque though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I probably would.

The kids make it fairly entertaining for me now but it used to be the most boring day of the year unless I had or went to a party in the evening.

Christmas eve is far better than Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just because the pubs in the UK are allowed to open does not mean that they have to open, so the rubbish about bar staff needing a day off is just that, rubbish.
    Also, the pub being open and heading there for a pint does not mean that you have to stay there all day and get pissed. Many times been along for a pint or two during the day, gets out of each other hair at home or wherever you are. Or if some people want to go along and do whatever they do in a church on xmas day, why shouldn't the rest of us be allowed to go to the pub for a pint if we want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think the whole build up to christmas is a buzz in itself and once you have done opening the prezzies and have dinner, christmas day can just be like a sunday so while I enjoy the day with family having the option to pop out for a few is a nice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

If I was spending Christmas with family I wouldn't bother, but as that's not happening this year it will be spent down the pub with friends (after dinner).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Is there some law that says you can't? Or do all the pubs just happen to close for the holidays because they want to?

To be perfectly honest, I'd love to go to a pub with my wife on Christmas. We don't have any family here and from what I can tell, there isn't much to do this weekend.

We found some hotels that were open and even served Christmas dinner - but it was way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

later on in the night probably

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Who wants to work Christmas Day, not bar workers I'd imagine.

lots of people work on christmas day, the entire country doesn't just shut down you know

people will still be ill so you need nurses, places could still be robbed so you need security, hotels will still be open so you need managers, cook/chefs, gardai will be working, babies will still be born so you need midwives, farmers will still be working, cows sure won't milk themselves ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lots of people work on christmas day, the entire country doesn't just shut down you know

Was delighted to be working christmas day myself back in the mists of time. Quadruple time for that shift and then triple time for the 26th as well, that is what kept me in beer tokens through uni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'd have zero interest in the pub on Christmas day. I do like a few drinks with my Dad on Christmas Eve and with friends on St. Stephen's Day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

rossie1977 wrote: »

people will still be ill so you need nurses, places could still be robbed so you need security, hotels will still be open so you need managers, cook/chefs, gardai will be working, babies will still be born so you need midwives, farmers will still be working, cows sure won't milk themselves ;)
    Pints in pubs don't pull themselfs either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

one of my locals opens up from 10-1 for just regulars, they put a big glass bottle out and everyone throws anything from a 20 upwards into it, goes to the local hospital, think myself its a great tradition!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I think laws like that, which are designed to suit Christians, are quite unfair to members of our growing Muslim community. Why shouldn't they be able to pop down to the pub and enjoy a few pints if they feel like it, especially with all that corny Christian stuff on TV?:):):)

I see what you did there.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nah, I was never much of a Christmas drinker anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭RichT

........ and miss The Queens Speech. :eek:

Advertisement