Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Scientists Develop Airborne H5N1 (Flu)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

ahhh - so this is how they are going to reduce the population to save "Mother Earth"

Good Idea IMO - too many of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Conor108 wrote: »
    How did he drive to work each morning without stopping and thinking "Wait wtf am I doing?!"

Being Dutch he probably cycled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Saila wrote: »
    pot. kettle. black

Not particularly, anthrax is naturally occuring and all you need to do to cultivate it is get sheep and brush them down, then put the spores into an oven at ~37 degrees celcius, provided with sufficient nutrient agar. A fairly basic working knowledge of microbiology, a handful of sheep and a kitchen will get you that far. Therefore studying it is fairly important.

However, anthrax isn't that much of a problem. You need to inhale a lot of spores in order to get pulmonary anthrax, which has a 90% death rate provided victims don't seek treatment. Problem is, you'll know you've been infected (you'll see the cloud of spores coming at you) and can get a course of antibiotics to deal with it.

A terrorist group cultivated a large quantity of anthrax spores and dumped it out an apartment window in Tokyo. The wind dispersed the anthrax, and nobody inhaled sufficient quantities to develop symptoms. It was only discovered when members of the same terrorist group were interrogated by the Japanese police for the sarin nerve gas attack on the Tokyo subway system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Banking crisis solved.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Is it worse than diarrhoea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

orourkeda wrote: »
    Is it worse than diarrhoea?

Yes. It's even worse than Chris Rea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

When IT people get bored they flip a colleagues desktop upside down for giggles. When microbiologists get bored they think of ingenious new ways to kill three and a half billion people...

What.the.****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Can't see anything going wrong at all with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

They should release it just once for the craic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

They should release it in offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Aaaaaaargh! Its spread to China already :eek:
    THE WORLD IS FCUK3d!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

Scientists in Netherlands have developed in a lab an airborne strain of H5N1.

"We have discovered that this is indeed possible, and more easily than previously thought. In the laboratory, it was possible to change H5N1 into an aerosol-transmissible virus that can easily be rapidly spread through the air,"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/12/20/scientists-spark-fears-by-creating-highly-contagious-airborne-strain-bird-flu/#ixzz1h5Okw8ON

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/terror-fear-scientists-create-killer-flu-114600583.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

release the hounds! virus!

The fact they've proven it's possible can only lead to other nutjob scientists developing other viruses that spread through the air rather than through human contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm just reading Stephen King's "The Stand". Seems fitting for this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

sounds like it could be fun:)
    I'd love to spray it in work and I'd be the only one left:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Well, let's say they make AIDS airborne, surely that would be fun to find out too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm just reading Stephen King's "The Stand". Seems fitting for this story.

"The White Plague" would be more fitting.
    One scary book - more so because its possible and based on a mans revenge and tech skills.!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Plague

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ah, Scientists! What the most dangerous thing we can do that could possibly wipe out the planets population? Excellent, let's do it sure it could never fall into the wrong hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A friend posted that on Facebook with

"Researchers modify H5N1 so that it is viable for bio-warfare"

Someone responds with

"But it's only H5N1, it's not dangerous"

"Researchers modify H5N1 so that it is viable for bio-warfare" you ****ing idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This couldn't have come at a better time. My neighbours have been blaring music at their fecking Christmas parties until 5 in the morning the past week.

I'll show them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The zombie apocalypse approaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Here is a less sensational, and therefore less likely to be read version of the story.
    Or would people rather continue their demented shrieking about "idiot scientists"?

Here is a less sensational, and therefore less likely to be read version of the story.
    tl;dr
    biko wrote: »
    The zombie apocalypse approaches...

WTFOMG?!?!?!?!??!

Seachmall wrote: »
    tl;dr

I am unsurprised at this predictable response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

spoofilyj wrote: »
    As for releasing the receipe, thats a terrible idea, ever nut job will be trying to recreat it and hold the world to ransome or even worse release it for ****es and giggles!
    Contagion like that isn't something even the nuttiest of the nutty mess around with - even the nazis refused to countenance its use. The problem is its really hard to keep it under control, and once you release it, you're as much of a victim as the next fella. Even if you have a vaccine, these things mutate constantly.

It would be like releasing an invisible serial killer who can float through walls.

I am unsurprised at this predictable response.

And again I'm forced to use this image...

Only in America..

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »

I see your image macro and raise you a youtube clip.

Advertisement