Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a pint

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

The slops from the trays under the taps getting used was always a big rumour around my area when I was growing up. Another urban myth then?

Not an urban myth but depending on the publican could be quite true. Some publicans didnt care what the pints were like so would throw a small bit back into pint glasses as they were being sold to drunken customers that probably wouldn't notice.

Other publicans would fire you on the spot for doing this as they wanted to keep a good name for their pints.
    smodgley wrote: »
    its very easy to do, just degas the keg, open the center part, pour in said pint, replace center part re gas and away you go

Can you re gas the keg? We used to use a funnel to de gas it, then pour the waste back in and send it off. Never in 15 years did I see or hear of one being actually tapped up again!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Surely it wouldn't be worth anyone's time and effort to put one pint back into a keg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Surely it wouldn't be worth anyone's time and effort to put one pint back into a keg?
    Apart from the fact it can't be done easily like?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

when you re connect the line to the beer pump on the bar there is also a gas line into it the one in the link is the ones that were very similier to the ones used in the uk, very easy to do it with these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7E9kzwgsCI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

smash wrote: »

obviously not for just one pint no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Order pint, refuse to pay, get barred.
    Sounds about right to me. What exactly were you expecting? A discount?

You shouldn't get barred for refusing to pay. Fair play to th OP E5.70 for a pint is disgraceful:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

You can't put a pint back into a keg with beer the thing would blow back into your face. It's an urban myth. I worked pubs in Dublin for years and believe me it's not possible.

The slops go into empty kegs with no gas and Guinness give you a full keg for everyone you fill back to them by way of compensation. There's no benefit of putting it back into a 'live' keg even if you could, but you can't.

Well, based mainly on the fact it can't be done easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DCUlad

Think thats bad. Once was asked to pay 6.20 for a pint of Carlsberg in Fitzsimons Temple Bar! Needless to say it wasn't paid for either.

Well, based mainly on the fact it can't be done easily.

Not without you wearing half of it at the end of it after it's sprayed all over your face:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, the prices are almost always displayed at the door. They should be.

Or you could just ask before you decide whether or not to get one :/

In the bar I work in the pints are €4.20. Stout is €3.90. So when we have city folk in they are delighted with the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

jackie1974 wrote: »
    Ive worked in bars for the past twenty years and cannot recall ever being asked for prices. €5.70 is a ridiculous charge for a pint.

It's about 5.60 for a pint of Bulmers in 2 of the pubs where I live, and they wonder why pre-drinking is alive and kicking with all age groups :)

bscm wrote: »
    It's about 5.60 for a pint of Bulmers in 2 of the pubs where I live, and they wonder why pre-drinking is alive and kicking with all age groups :)

It's one thing that annoys me going back home is the price of the gargle, it's a bloody scandal. The wages for the staff is not that good anymore but the prices are going up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

there is a lot of misunderstanding on the legality of pubs changing prices during the course of business.

Any pub can change its prices at anytime during the day, it can also do this any number of times in a day.

BUT the prices can only be changed upwards

eg 1pm Stout €4
    2pm Stout €5
    3pm Stout €4.50

The 3pm price is illegal, these pricing laws were put in place to stop "Happy Hour" styles promotions which apparently encouraged binge drinking.

there are many varied ways around them like having €3 drinks until 7.30pm and opening at 5.30pm.

or

have smirnoff vodka €3 between 7pm and 9pm. all that is needed to be done to make it legal is have no smirnoff on the premises until a delivery arrives at 7pm (from the booth of your car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Frynge wrote: »
    there is a lot of misunderstanding on the legality of pubs changing prices during the course of business.

Any pub can change its prices at anytime during the day, it can also do this any number of times in a day.

BUT the prices can only be changed upwards

eg 1pm Stout €4
    2pm Stout €5
    3pm Stout €4.50

The 3pm price is illegal, these pricing laws were put in place to stop "Happy Hour" styles promotions which apparently encouraged binge drinking.

there are many varied ways around them like having €3 drinks until 7.30pm and opening at 5.30pm.

or

have smirnoff vodka €3 between 7pm and 9pm. all that is needed to be done to make it legal is have no smirnoff on the premises until a delivery arrives at 7pm (from the booth of your car)

At midnight would passing into the next day not allow a price change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

They're shíte. You can't light a sambuca and you can't slam a tequila.
    As good a reason as any to use them then.

You can't make a tequila slammer in a normal Irish shot glass (well you can but there'd be fuck all alcohol in it)and most Irish people have no idea why they're lighting the sambuca and do it wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Are the sneaky price increments that happen as it gets later, in Dublin pubs, published e.g. in kips like Cafe En Seine ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

drdeadlift wrote: »

That would come under the previous days trading in terms of the licensing hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,608 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I walk into a pub in my local area,i order a pint the pint gets pulled then the bar person tells me the cost.I refuse to pay as its 5.70 i end up getting barred from the pub.

Should prices be displays better? should prices be offered by person serving you first before they pull it from the tap?

What would be the normal price, around €4.50? So if you had drank it and left all you would have been out of pocket is around €1.20. A lot of fuss for €1.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

JoeySully wrote: »

Would you prefer if they put the prices on the back of the Taps for you? and under the shelves with the bottles?

Good idea. Why not? Other retailers display their prices on the shelves or on the individual items.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Good idea. Why not? Other retailers display their prices on the shelves or on the individual items.

I'd rather they did it on a backlit menu up behind the bar. like in fast food joints. Seriously!

bscm wrote: »

I'm not sure it's healthy to have homes in two pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

well done. More people should do this.
    More people should ask the price first, just like you do in most other retail outlets. Especially when the item is not easily "returnable", like a beer, a freshly made sandwich or a haircut. I would love to do it with a pub I know is overpriced, walk in with a gang of lads, a stag or something, order up ****loads then ask the price of something and walk, and let them know they lost business.

By leaving the pint behind it will probably go to some other poor unfortunate an hour later. Or else be tipped down the drain and the cost added to other pints, so it goes on again. Just ask the price, and yes I have asked before, and have asked what their cheapest pint was, dunno why you need to be shy or embarrassed about wanting good value. It reminds me of these cliche high price shops "if you need to ask you can't afford it"
    chef wrote: »
    By law all public house must display their prices.
    seamus wrote: »
    They're required by law to display the prices at the door.
    They only have to display a few prices, e.g. price "of at least one kind of draught stout", and one kind of various other drinks . I very much doubt coors light was listed. The law is pretty crap.

And they can increase prices all they want, people need to start looking at www.irishstatutebook.ie all these laws are there. Seems a lot of the lawyers around here got their degree in the back of a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They are required by law to display the prices outside, if they did and you didn't see them (or simply ignored them) then I have no sympathy for you.

Nothing stopping you asking the price beforehand....

.... although a little bit of me also says thank fcuk someone is willing to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

You've never been in the grafton lounge before so

A Peroni bottle was *cough* €6 *cough* ... and it was just under €12 for a pint of bulmers and a pint of coors light

We had 1 and then left. No matter what I wouldn't go back. Sad thing it it was wall to wall in there. Couldn't move in it

im guessing you were there for the royseven aftershow party nov 26th ???

that place ( Grafton lounge ) is full of w**kers and D4 heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

in the licensed trade a day is considered start of business to close of business e.g 10.30am to 12.30am on a fri is one days trading

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JoeySully wrote: »
    Would you prefer if they put the prices on the back of the Taps for you? and under the shelves with the bottles?

Great idea. After all the prices of goods are underneath them in supermarkets.

Or would certain people in Kildare St have a vested interest in ensuring this doesn't happen? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Well done OP, that is too much to pay, however, you should have checked the price first and not bothered entering the premises when you seen it was not displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kingtut wrote: »
    They are required by law to display the prices outside, if they did and you didn't see them (or simply ignored them) then I have no sympathy for you.
    FFS If you didn't see the post before yours or simply ignored it I have no sympathy for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

5.70 :eek: the most i paid was 5.50 at a gig in marlay park , absolute rip off

Advertisement