Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a pint

Options
  • 20-12-2011 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

I walk into a pub in my local area,i order a pint the pint gets pulled then the bar person tells me the cost.I refuse to pay as its 5.70 i end up getting barred from the pub.

Should prices be displays better? should prices be offered by person serving you first before they pull it from the tap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I guess they should, but I dont think they ever will be. youre probably best just asking before you order to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

well done. More people should do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

By law all public house must display their prices.
    This is usually inside the door on the way in or some such place.
    Maybe not very visible.... but non the less its on show.
    But to be barred for not paying...well thats a bit mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I walk into a pub in my local area,i order a pint the pint gets pulled then the bar person tells me the cost.I refuse to pay as its 5.70 i end up getting barred from the pub.

Should prices be displays better? should prices be offered by person serving you first before they pull it from the tap?

Come on, they barred you for not wanting to pay the price? Did you kick up a fuss or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Order pint, refuse to pay, get barred.
    Sounds about right to me. What exactly were you expecting? A discount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're required by law to display the prices at the door. Did you look for this, or just decide to ask for a pint before knowing what it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I believe they have to display their prices. Now that your barred you will find it difficult to check. If you had a look around the entrance of the bar before ordering you should have seen the price list, But its too late now.

Would you prefer if they put the prices on the back of the Taps for you? and under the shelves with the bottles?

Perhaps try asking the barman if you are unsure next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I assume he was expecting semi-decent value on the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Getting barred probably doesn't really mean much for the OP, it's not like he was going to be willing to pay them prices on further visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

it was a pint of coors light.

The week before i got 1ltr of vodka&1 ltr of captain Morgans in Dublin airport for 20 euro,that puts things in perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Jeez it's not hard. Just go back in wearing a fake moustache and glasses and order yourself a cheaper drink :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They've just lost a pint now, they can't really just put it back in the keg. €5.70 wasn't going to kill you. You could have paid and said you'd never be back and saved yourself the hassle of getting barred.

Anyway what was it? A pint of gold dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'm sure that your Norwegian girlfriend would find that price reasonable compared to the prices in Norway. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Are we allowed name the local pub that is charging 5.70 a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smash wrote: »
    They've just lost a pint now, they can't really just put it back in the keg. €5.70 wasn't going to kill you. You could have paid and said you'd never be back and saved yourself the hassle of getting barred.
    Or if he was more concerned about the price than the pint, he could have asked before ordering, how much it would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

seamus wrote: »
    Or if he was more concerned about the price than the pint, he could have asked before ordering, how much it would cost.

€5.70 is a horrendous price :eek: It wouldn't even occur to me that a pub could request that much for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldnt pay that in a local, would have walked too. Thats silly money for a pint. Sure even closed events such as festivals its 5 Euro, and those jokers can charge what they like.

Well done OP. dont go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Coors Light?, come on now. Start drinking stout or ale you'll find that they're the cheaper pint option in public houses aswell.

If more people realize a pint of larger isnt worth 5.70 maybe the price would drop along with the price of houses.Only an idiot would pay anything over a 5 euro for a pint of beer.Its twice as expensive as it should be.

Coors Light?, come on now. Start drinking stout or ale you'll find that they're the cheaper pint option in public houses aswell.

I normally pay 3.70 for Guinness,a whopper pint too.

• Advertisement

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Of course, it's public information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Coors Light?, come on now. Start drinking stout or ale

Or a beer that doesn't taste like piss at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Somewhere in Drumcondra probably...

Somewhere in Drumcondra probably...

The ivy house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Are you for real? 5.70 a pint, I would have told them to **** off and stick it up there arse.

And they want to introduce minimum pricing, god help us I can see it now 6.00 a pint and 20.00 for a 6 pack of cans. Then some of these cowboys have the neck to say the supermarkets are doing them out of business when there charging that a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah that's fine. Just keep the post pretty neutral.
    Slagging places isn't on but mentioning prices is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

biko wrote: »
    Yeah that's fine. Just keep the post pretty neutral.
    Slagging places isn't on but mentioning prices is ok.

What about mildly joshing prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I normally pay 3.70 for Guinness,a whopper pint too.

Just askin', what's a whopper pint? Bigger than a normal pint?

Guinness is usually €3.70 - €4.50 depending on rural vs city centre pubs. €5.70 for Coors Light ? I'd drink Bear Grylls píss before I'd drink that (Bear only charges €4.95 for his)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The ivy house

No surprises there. Never seen the attraction with the place. The manager <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Its handy when they advertise the offers though

I'll have your finest pint of 3 euro piss please thank chew.

Advertisement