Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due August 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I'm leaving all my stockpiling and organising til June when things have calmed down a bit between work and college, up to my eyes at the mo.
    Aww betsie I'm the same, just home from a long day in work, house completely to myself for the night so had a long hot shower, made a yummy dinner and now have the feet up on the couch! Hope you're enjoying your evening as much as I'm enjoying mine :)

Has anyone else thought much about the whole idea of pain relief or your birth plan? I'm kind of keeping an open mind with regards to the pain relief, not going into it saying I want all the drugs or saying I want to do it all natural. I've no idea how bad the pain will be or how well I'll tolerate it, so I reckon I'm best off with this approach!
    Regarding induction, forceps, vacuum delivery etc I want to avoid them as much as possible. Also I'm terrified of having to have a Caesarean, everyone keeps telling me it's not that bad but I would really prefer to avoid one. All said though if it's what baby needs I'm not gonna argue with it, baby is priority x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

its great to see everyone doing well:-)
    Rose it sounds like your scan was very thorough and i am amazed they could estimate the babys birth weight!!!
    I did have an anomaly scan a few weeks ago and the sonogfofer said everything looked normal but I'm still very worried as i am on medication that could affect baby but it is essential that i take it.
    I would like another opinion just to put my mind at rest.

New look its great you're back! and that all is going well for you, I think its great you will wait until babys are born to find out the sex!!!!! :-) it will be a nice surprise for all of us!!

And betsie ye are thinking of finding out the sex, i think that's great when ye find out it is the most spectacular feeling ever :-)

October as discussing birth plans and pain relief, I am the biggest wuss when i get pain ill be taking everything they give me!!

I've had a rough few days had a massive fight with my boyfriend was crying for two hours solid but we patched things up, only got 8 hours sleep in the last two nights i was off. I just feel that i am doing everything while he's just off having fun.
    I know he'll cop on when baby comes but im still having my doubts .
    Sorry for putting a downer on things . At least I have tomorrow night off I'm just going to take it easy and have peaceful quality time with my bump :-)
    Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend :-)
    xx

Aww pushki you poor thing. I think sometimes men don't realise how much things have changed for us already before baby even arrives, as the major changes for them won't really come until after baby is born. Hope you're feeling better, hugs xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

Pushki I often try to think that we are mammies as soon as we see that positive test because we are the ones that go through the physical process of pregnancy. The boyfriends and husbands can be as supportive and sympathetic as anything but they could still never understand it. They won't be a daddy until they are holding the baby in their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

ah sorry to hear about your fight, hope everything is ok now x x x

hope everyone had a nice weekend, can't wait till Thursday to see the baby again :-)

• Advertisement

thanks guys
    Ya i think ye are right about us becoming mammies as soon as we find out we are pregnant, and all the ups and downs are just natures way of preparing us for motherhood . I guess becoming a parent will only hit him when bab arrives.
    I am feeling better now due to loads of sleep but i still need space from him he's doing my head in!!
    You must be so excited for your scan betsie! is it ananomaly scan?
    Hope all mums to be had a lovely long weekend xx

no had my anomly scan done 8weeks ago, so its just a quick check up,

I just heard of someone that gave birth to a 5lb healthy baby that's due in JULY!!! i would die if that happened me id be no way prepared!! i guess baby was too impatient to wait :-)

ah god i hope the mam and baby are doing ok, there is no way would i be ready for it but i suppose if it did happen there wouldn't be much we could do about it

pushki wrote: »
    I just heard of someone that gave birth to a 5lb healthy baby that's due in JULY!!! i would die if that happened me id be no way prepared!! i guess baby was too impatient to wait :-)

Oh my God this actually scares me... I'm due the 3rd of August which is practically July :eek: Literally all I have is a pack of baby vests and 2 babygrows, I need to get my act together!

• Advertisement

I know its crazy isn't it? i guess after 30 weeks we should have a bag prepared? i don't know i wouldn't even mind not having stuff got for the baby yet, i just don't think id be ready for motherhood yet! Plus im happy at the minute feeling bab safe inside me, im loving the little kicks :-)
    wow October you really are on the cusp of July/Aug you might have a July baby!!!

Sounds like a plan pushki, I'll be 30 weeks the day I finish my exams, starting to organise my bag straight away after now!

its scary to think that we have to start getting our hospital bags ready etc, i must try and make out a list of what i need to buy, there is so much :(

I know there's so much isn't there? I'm bad enough packing for myself but packing for two makes it even harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

The amount of stuff on the hospital list is scary!!
    Decided to wash all the baby clothes today purely because I feel like I've nothing done! And by nothing I mean I'm itching to get started on the baby's room but I can't do alot of it, because it's all DIY pulling up carpet and sanding floors:eek:

By the way is anyone heading to Aldi tomorrow for the baby special offers??

yeah ill head to aldi for a look anyway be rude not to when Im in the hospital as seen as its just across tin road

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlisonRelihan

Hello you guys! I'm due 4th Aug. Cannot wait. Found this list very helpful so i said I would share it:

Nursery and Play
    • Cot
    • Cot mattress, Cot Sheets, Cot blankets
    • Mobile
    • Changing mat and cheap towels to keep bottoms warm
    • Chest of drawers
    • Chair for night time feeds
    • Dimmer switch/night light
    • Curtains with blackout lining
    • Blackout blind
    • Baby monitor
    • Bouncy chair
    • Room thermometer
    • Basket to store toiletries and bits in on top of chest of drawers
    • Grobags.
    • Moses basket, Flat sheets, Top sheets and Blankets for Moses basket
    • Couple of toys!

On the Move
    • Pram
    • Sun parasol
    • Raincover
    • Pram blanket (as Moses basket!), a cotton cellular one and a fleece one
    • Car seat (if not getting a travel system)
    • Sunscreens for car
    • ‘Baby on Board’ sign
    • Baby carrier
    • Changing bag

Feeding
    • Breast pads
    • Steriliser
    • Bottle brush
    • Bottle and teats
    • Breast pump
    • Formula
    • Muslins
    • Bibs
    • Teat brush
    • Infacol drops

Bathing and Changing
    • Aqueous cream (Silcox Base or Children’s E45, can get them in Boots)
    • Baby wipes
    • Baby shampoo
    • Liquid soap
    • Cotton wool pads
    • Sudocream
    • Nappies
    • Nappy sacks
    • Nail clippers
    • Bath thermometer
    • Bath sponge
    • Wash cloth
    • Bath support
    • Baby bath
    • Brush and comb
    • Bath towels

Clothing
    • Bodysuits
    • Sleepsuits
    • Cardigan
    • Socks (3 pairs)
    • Scratch mitts
    • Shawl/blanket
    • Coat/snowsuit for trips out/going home outfits

Hospital Bag
    • T-shirt/nightie for labour
    • Slippers
    • Non-slippery Socks (feet can get cold in labour apparently)
    • Lounge suits.
    • Lightweight dressing gown
    • Evian face spray
    • Arnica 200 (Boots) supposed to help bruising/swelling afterwards
    • Dextro energy tablets

1st night onwards…
    • Big knickers
    • Maternity sanitary pads
    • Sanitary bags
    • Always Ultra Allnight Sanitary towels
    • Breast pads
    • Nursing bras
    • Front opening nightie if breast feeding
    • Toiletries
    • Tissues
    • Vaseline for dry lips
    • Kamillosan cream for sore nipples
    • DARK towels
    • Comfy clothes to go home in
    • Make up
    • Money for phone card, newspaper etc….
    • Magazine

For baby in hospital
    • Towel
    • Nappies
    • Cotton wool
    • Baby soap
    • 3x bodysuits
    • 3x sleepsuits
    • hat, scratch mitts
    • blanket/shawl
    • Teddy bear!
    CAMERA!!!!

I'll probably pop in too would like to see what's on offer but i have a feeling it will be mobbbed !! Betsie best of luck in your scan tomorrow:-)
    Right i know this is probably a really stupid question but why do you have to wash baby's clothes before they wear them?

I'm not sure exactly why, maybe it's cos their skin is so sensitive in case there's any irritants etc on the fabric. Just a guess! I know you have to use a non-bio detergent anyway when you're washing them.

And hi Alison, welcome to the group- that list has scared the bejaysus out of me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlisonRelihan

0ctober wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly why, maybe it's cos their skin is so sensitive in case there's any irritants etc on the fabric. Just a guess! I know you have to use a non-bio detergent anyway when you're washing them.

And hi Alison, welcome to the group- that list has scared the bejaysus out of me! :P

I know scary or what !! But when you go down through it, it doesn't seem so bad!!

P.S. - I've washed all baby clothes too in non-bio detergent just in case there were anything on the clothes in the shop.

Anyone having recurring UTI's? I've had 3 now one after the other with antibiotics on each one. Urine seems to be clear now but still have really bad pains down my left hand side of my back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭new look

Holy moly that's a serious list but it's great to have! Thank you Alison :)
    Went for a scan today and both babies are looking great and moving away, phew! Always a relief :) It's hard to believe I'm 24 weeks already although I look like I'm about 36 weeks!!!
    I know I'm having a section this time which is grand but with my first baby I had an epidural and I have to say it was the job! I had pethidine and gas and air and they didn't do a lot to be honest but that was just me. As soon as I got the epidural I was happy out and it really helped me. I would highly recommend it :)
    Does anybody else feel the weeks are flying by? I seem to be going from appointment to scan and the time is flying. Hope it goes this fast during the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kinioiri

Hi everyone. Trying to catch up on the comments, haven't been on here for ages.
    I saw the offers in Aldi. My nearest Aldi is 35-40 mins away so I don't think I will head there. Might get my friend to pick me up the Muslin Squares, they are a great invention. I have a dreadful pain in my right groin the past few weeks. It seems to be a lot worse today. Scaring the life out of myself reading about it on the Internet. Looks like it could be Pelvic Girdle Pain. On top of that I have a head cold and sore throat :(
    I have done this bag packing twice before but Alison that list scares the crap out of me:eek:

Good luck with the exams October:)

I washed all the boys vests and babygros in Fairy before packing the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kinioiri

yeah ill head to aldi for a look anyway be rude not to when Im in the hospital as seen as its just across tin road

Good luck with the scan tomorrow Betsie. You couldn't pass Aldi tomorrow and not pop in lol

oh that list is terrifying me Im after reading it 3times going oh my god x better start buying stuff haha

oh my god Allison that list is scary must get my act together too!! so many thongs to think of!!! Can't wait for aldi today ( god i sound like a big saddo!) :-P
    Hope your scan goes well betsie!!! xx

thanks pushki, looking forward to seeing the little one today :-)

and aldi afterward :-) here is another sado :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Alison your list made me come out in a sweat. :) So far i have bought one cardigan! that is it.
    Although I was given a bouncer chair by a friend and I got a great deal on donedeal.ie ages ago. A Giordani travel system including isofix chair changing bag e.t.c was 700 newIi got second hand for 120 euro. It is spotless , like new. I have no qualms buying or recieving second hand as long as it is safe and clean.
    I gave away all my baby equipment from my daughter so have to start from scratch. My sis is loaning me a moses basket so I will just buy a new mattress for that, and i am looking at cots at the moment.

One thing I have learned is you do not need all the extras really, dont bother with bottle warmers they take ages. Use a microwave steriliser rather than an electric. babys only need vests and babygros for first few weeks/months. I got loads of cute outfits when I had my little girl but felt she would be much more comfy sleeping and spending the day in a soft babygro rather than stuffy jeans or a dress and tights. I brought back most of my clothes gifts and exchanged them for the same thing in an older size for later on.

Pushki, so sorry to hear about your stress with the boyfriend try not to dwell on it just concentrate on looking after you. I have come to accept now that my husband doesnt really understand how excited i am and will really only bond with the baby when its born, I can see his eyes glaze over with disinterest when I say, feel my bump.he only does it to humour me half the time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

By the way I am flying to spain on Sunday for 10 days WOOHOO. Can not wait for the break, although not looking forward to the stress of flying Ryanair. I did not bother paying for priority boarding as I did last year when flying with my preg sis and people from behind ran past us anyway when boarding, saw an elderly man with two walking sticks being jostled on the stairs by those too eager to get on first!:(
    A
    anyway I will be 25 weeks flying out , my first time flying pregnant, has anyone any tips for me? should i do anything special like wear granny circulation socks?

thanks tisandy, we are really finding it tough at the moment, with accommodation and stuff like that, i want us ti get a place together butn because of stupid Irish law that would be seen as co-habitiing So it'd be likely we can't live together which is really getting me down as ill have to return to work soon after bab is born for money as ill be paying rent onmy own. ugh its just a very messy situation to be honest, im trying not to get too stressed about everything.
    Enjoy your hols tisandy! any room for the suitcase for me :-P
    on a more positive note i headed to aldi got 3 cellular blankets , white clue and pink, 2 sets of 3 muslin clothes a turtle night light and newborn nappies , I've heard they are quite good quality so i said ill give them a look for softness flexibility etc.
    Anyone else go mad in aldi!?! i didn't like the babygros , the towels were super cute but i have 3 of them already!
    October best of luck in your exams you'll be fine :-)
    Allison so sorry to hear about the recurring utis i just think its another nasty symptom of pregnancy but if you are getting pains you should prob see your gp
    New look its fantastic both babys are doing well, will they take you in earlier for the section, might be July babies after all!!!
    i know what you mean i cannot believe how fast the weeks are going too its mad isn't it? 26 weeks today :-) my belly has really popped in the last week !! yey :-)?

Kinorii that sounds dreadful the pain you are having on top of that a pesky cold! i hope you feel better soon xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

tishandy wrote: »
    By the way I am flying to spain on Sunday for 10 days WOOHOO. Can not wait for the break, although not looking forward to the stress of flying Ryanair. I did not bother paying for priority boarding as I did last year when flying with my preg sis and people from behind ran past us anyway when boarding, saw an elderly man with two walking sticks being jostled on the stairs by those too eager to get on first!:(
    A
    anyway I will be 25 weeks flying out , my first time flying pregnant, has anyone any tips for me? should i do anything special like wear granny circulation socks?

Hi tishandy..Yes I would recommend the granny circulation socks :-)
    We were away a few weeks ago and my doctor told me to wear them! As well as it helping to prevent clots etc. it also stops legs and feet from swelling! Also, doc said to drink lots of fluid on the flight and if at all possible get up for a little walk :D And most of all enjoy!!!

Advertisement