Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religion of Aliens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bbam wrote: »
    Thats your opinion, I respect that fact even though I believe my original point to be true..

Any kind of back up for that original post?

It would be an interesting point of discussion if it was expanded upon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fair enough. But that doesn't negate the possibility that if life were discovered on another planet, that the life could be itself a God of sorts.

You've been watching too much Stargate again haven't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

mickrock wrote: »
    The mistake you're making is that God(if that's what you want to call it) is not a supreme being outside the universe but is part of nature itself or even is nature itself.

No, an intelligent creator cannot be constrained by, or limited to, it's creation.

Therefore an intelligent designer of the natural universe is outside the realm of the universe and thus outside the scope of natural sciences.

I don't refer to it as god. Other people keep doing that.

God is just a word, one with a lot of baggage.
    Why wouldn't you refer to an intelligent designer as a god?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Seachmall wrote: »
    No, an intelligent creator cannot be constrained by, or limited to, it's creation.

Therefore an intelligent designer of the natural universe is outside the realm of the universe and thus outside the scope of natural sciences.

Just because an intelligent designer might not be limited to its creation doesn't mean it cannot be part of if.

Why wouldn't you refer to an intelligent designer as a god?

Because for most people the word has religious connotations and they end up thinking it's something that it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bbam wrote: »
    In fairness a cuddly toy could be dangerous in the wrong hands...:rolleyes:

That's kind of like saying in reply to someone saying "We need to build defence shields for the possibility of tsumami's to protect our coastline"... "Well, I think the money would be better spent on protecting office workers from the dangers of paper cuts."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

al28283 wrote: »
    Because everywhere like Earth that we know of has life, and everywhere unlike Earth we know of doesn't

That's not really the answer I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just curious. Where are you getting this figure? As far as anyone is concerned I though the universe was regarded as being 13.75 billion years old?

That was a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

so in conclusion we dont know if their is anything out there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

That's a bit simplistic and implies the wrong thing.

other life forms out there i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I know.

so is my opinion wrong?

juryhoney wrote: »
    I get that.
    what?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

How do you know that?

Olber's paradox. Not sure if this particular proof was mentioned before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

We know the universe is expanding, it can't expand if it's infinite.

Can it?
    It can.
    1. If the universe is infinite then there is no physical edge, therefore there is no boundary that is moving outwards into something.
    2. The expansion we observe consists of distant galaxy clusters moving away from each other, in other words there is more space "appearing" between these clusters, and since you can fit as much of anything as you want into an infinite space and never fill it, an infinite universe can indefinitely fill with space between objects, ie, expand.

Just because an intelligent designer might not be limited to its creation doesn't mean it cannot be part of if.
    It can be involved in the universe but because it is not natural (i.e. constrained by the laws of the universe) it does not fall within the scope of natural science.
    It can.
    1. If the universe is infinite then there is no physical edge, therefore there is no boundary that is moving outwards into something.
    You can't increment an infinite. If the universe's size is infinite it cannot then take up more space by expanding, it would have to be finite to do that.

You can't increment an infinite. If the universe's size is infinite it cannot then take up more space by expanding, it would have to be finite to do that.
    I didn't say it would take up more space.

I didn't say it would take up more space.

Fair enough, and I quoted the wrong point, but it remains that you cannot add space to something that is infinite and therefore expansion is not possible.
    The expansion we observe consists of distant galaxy clusters moving away from each other, in other words there is more space "appearing" between these clusters, and since you can fit as much of anything as you want into an infinite space and never fill it, an infinite universe can indefinitely fill with space between objects, ie, expand.
    This sounds more like local expansion as oppose to the universe expanding.

Fair enough, and I quoted the wrong point, but it remains that you cannot add space to something that is infinite and therefore expansion is not possible.
    You can add as much of anything you like to an infinite space, including more space. ;)
    This sounds more like local expansion as oppose to the universe expanding.
    I don't really get what you mean by "local", but if the universe is homogeneous and infinite, then what we observe here is the same everywhere, and every cluster in the universe is moving away from every other, with the result that the amount of space between them is increasing, or in other words the amount of space in the universe as a whole is increasing.

Infinity is a rather odd creature and the mistake people often make is trying to visualise or understand it in a finite sense, it can't be done, because our logic of the finite completely breaks down with infinity. Here is an example where the seemingly logical isn't as simple as it seems.

Infinity is a human construct and whether it exists in reality (eg, an infinite universe) is questionable, but regarding our constructed concept there are things that can happen in an infinite space that can't happen in the finite and vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i am sure aliens whould have there own form of religion. well maybe not, it seems to be human nature to look to god or something like that as a way to put off our fears or someone to ask requests of. most people who beleive in god would say that this reason is for fear of what comes next. if you have no belief that there is any life after this one, and you are not happy here or feel you could do more, the idea of heaven and religion is very attractive.

though i would hope if aliens have a religion they would listen to its message a bit more than the people who pratice it here. i think jesus had a different outlook on religion and how to treat people than the people who supposedly follow his name. look at all our nice irish preists foe example. they dont seem to follow the message of what was being told to them. anyway lets just hope if life exists out there and it is smater than us it knows right from wrong and will come in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Came to this thread expecting fun discussion about Aliens, then notice the auld "Intelligent Design" argument appearing.

*leaves*

It can be involved in the universe but because it is not natural (i.e. constrained by the laws of the universe) it does not fall within the scope of natural science.

The important question is whether intelligent design is true or not.

Since there is an appearance of design in living things, ID is a plausible explanation and is one that has not yet been refuted.

In the absence of an explanation for the origin of life, and in particular the complex information-rich genetic material, it is reasonable to infer that design is involved.

Since there is an appearance of design in living things, ID is a plausible explanation and is one that has not yet been refuted.
    That sounds like the Watchmaker analogy which relies on a misunderstanding of how complexity arises in nature, which leads to the fallacy that it necessitates an intelligent designer.

An Intelligent Designer is possible, but it's neither required nor science. And the fact it hasn't been refuted does not make it more reasonable, infinite possibilities have not be refuted.
    In the absence of an explanation for the origin of life, and in particular the complex information-rich genetic material, it is reasonable to infer that design is involved.

It's reasonable to accept that it's possible, not to infer it.

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Olber's paradox. Not sure if this particular proof was mentioned before.
    The finite age of the universe makes this a non starter.
    Our observable universe is around 27 billion light years in diameter, the actual universe is defiantly larger than that, but we aren't able to see any further because of the finite speed of light, the light from anything beyond around 13.7 billion light years won't have had time to reach us.
    When we look at a part of space around 13.7 billion light years away we are looking back to the beginning of time and we can't see beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

allibastor wrote: »
    i am sure aliens whould have there own form of religion. well maybe not, it seems to be human nature to look to god or something like that as a way to put off our fears or someone to ask requests of. most people who beleive in god would say that this reason is for fear of what comes next. if you have no belief that there is any life after this one, and you are not happy here or feel you could do more, the idea of heaven and religion is very attractive.

though i would hope if aliens have a religion they would listen to its message a bit more than the people who pratice it here. i think jesus had a different outlook on religion and how to treat people than the people who supposedly follow his name. look at all our nice irish preists foe example. they dont seem to follow the message of what was being told to them. anyway lets just hope if life exists out there and it is smater than us it knows right from wrong and will come in peace

They might consider themselves the ''chosen people'' and get quite cross when they discover we exist :D
    If they survive for millions of years ahead of us their society might be quite homogeneous.. in fact maybe even Borglike :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

infinite space doesnt sit well with me. infinite space with infinite atoms means there is infinite earths with exact copys of me knocking around. doesnt seem right to me. but then I supose thats not a requirement..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

RichieC wrote: »
    infinite space doesnt sit well with me. infinite space with infinite atoms means there is infinite earths with exact copys of me knocking around. doesnt seem right to me. but then I supose thats not a requirement..

I walked up to a friend of mine one night in Burkerking blind drunk. He didn't have a clue who I was. I was freaked out by his blank stare. It turns out he has an identical twin who rarely visits Dublin but hates telling everyone as he wants to be his own person or something along those lines. Identical copies of people already exist...

An Intelligent Designer is possible,

Yes.

but it's neither required nor science.

There either is or isn't intelligent design. If it happens to be true that there is ID, your statement makes no sense.

There is no alternative explanation for the origin of life, and neo-Darwinism has weaknesses.

There either is or isn't intelligent design. If it happens to be true that there is ID, your statement makes no sense.
    No, it still makes complete sense. If there is an intelligent designer it still wouldn't be sciences arena as we currently define science. And the current universe does not require an intelligent designer as we understand it, regardless if one actually exists or not (i.e. we can explain the complexity of life without the need for a designer).
    There is no alternative explanation for the origin of life, and neo-Darwinism has weaknesses.
    Evolution does not deal with the origin of life so it doesn't have any weaknesses in that respect. You are thinking of abiogensis which is completely separate to evolution.

You're also falling into an argument from ignorance fallacy.

A gap in one explanation is not evidence for another explanation. If you want to prove ID you cannot say "well our current understanding is weak or has gaps", that's irrelevant. You must prove it on it's own merit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

psychward wrote: »
    RichieC wrote: »

I walked up to a friend of mine one night in Burkerking blind drunk. He didn't have a clue who I was. I was freaked out by his blank stare. It turns out he has an identical twin who rarely visits Dublin but hates telling everyone as he wants to be his own person or something along those lines. Identical copies of people already exist...

true enough but that's not what I mean.

l mean exact copies of earth and its
    inhabitants far off in the infinite universe.

if theres infinite space and infinite atoms then that situation is how it is becausr there is a finite amount of ways atoms can be arranged.

Advertisement