Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best seaside town/city to live in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Wicklow Town is pretty good :) better than Bray & Arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Dunmore East.

Tramore is okay until the Dubs come down in the Summer :P
    Ditto with Brittas Bay shunts come down and all they bloody leave is their decking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

galway city is the best by far, the pubs easily rival dublin and its busy every night, cost of living much lower than dublin, its but a 5 minute drive to the sea from the city centre (try that in o'connell street :eek:), loads of shopping, tons of things to do, few multiplex cinemas, couple hospitals, 2 major third level institutions

the other places mentioned are small towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Howth or Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

rossie1977 wrote: »
    galway city is the best by far, the pubs easily rival dublin and its busy every night, cost of living much lower than dublin, its but a 5 minute drive to the sea from the city centre (try that in o'connell street :eek:), loads of shopping, tons of things to do, few multiplex cinemas, couple hospitals, 2 major third level institutions

I always preferred Cork to Galway myself but each to their own.

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    Ditto with Brittas Bay shunts come down and all they bloody leave is their decking rubbish

To be fair Brittas isn't even a village. Without all those Dubs there wouldn't be any money to be made from the beach at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Roundstone in Galway, although it's more a village.

Renvyle on the very west coast of Connemara is just beautiful. The scenery is spectacular. That's also a village.
    luvnit! wrote: »
    Salthill, oh how i miss it!

Salthill has turned into an eyesore. Go 4/5 miles west to Barna and it's perfect. It has a lovely pub that serves food, a hotel also with lovely food and a bakery on site. Restaurants with lovely food. It's close to Galway city with much more activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Malahide or Howth imo, you've got everything nearby and they're nice areas. Plus they're on the DART line which is handy.

I remember liking Bettystown when I was there too, but that might have been for the amusements :cool:

Loughshinny is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ahem realistically I'm hardly gonna be able to afford to live in Howth anytime soon but I think Greystones would be more realistic for me but I prefer the place.

I like a sea side town with a nice beach not just a pier, greystones is close enough to Dublin but in the country as well

Dingle would be nice I don't mind tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Keel, Achill Island.

Well anywhere on Achill tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

the other places mentioned are small towns

Sure Sligo ticks everyone one of them box's you mentioned but when you have a large town/city it kinda loses its charm. The seaside villages are where its at, nothing better than sitting out in Strandhill on a nice summers day with a bottle of beer and a big bowl of chicken wings watching a load of idiots getting mauled off there surfboards.I would barley classify salthill as a beach either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Camp, co. Kerry, ticks all boxes for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

rednik wrote: »
    Portmagee.

Thats very rude!

Moville in Donegal is my pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

5 minute drive to the sea from the city centre (try that in o'connell street :eek:)

Have you ever been to Dublin? You could nearly walk to the sea in 5 minutes from O Connell Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Ballybunnion and Portsalon does it for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bundoran. :D

Rossnowlagh in Donegal is very nice but it's tiny. As somebody else said Moville in Inishowen is very nice too.

Rathmullan and Portnoo are nice as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Cobh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

rednik wrote: »
    Portmagee.

Love it, when I win the lotto I'm retiring to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭luvnit!

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Roundstone in Galway, although it's more a village.

Renvyle on the very west coast of Connemara is just beautiful. The scenery is spectacular. That's also a village.

Salthill has turned into an eyesore. Go 4/5 miles west to Barna and it's perfect. It has a lovely pub that serves food, a hotel also with lovely food and a bakery on site. Restaurants with lovely food. It's close to Galway city with much more activities.

Yes I have been to Barna also it is a beautiful little spot alright! But my college days lead me back to salthill i'm afraid, I cannot imagine it ever being an eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Skerries.
    `

2nd vote for Skerries. Such a lovely place to live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Ardmore, Co. Waterford. End thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Fergality

Clearly Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

Tramore or Dunmore East

• Registered Users Posts: 34,588 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bray would be perfect for me if it wasn't for all the scum and incestuousness.

I grew up there and loved the place itself - but had to move away to escape the knackbags...and I was sick to death of bumping into people I went to school with 10+ years ago. Nobody seems to leave that damn town.

Living in Clontarf now. It's weird not seeing people with their tracksuits tucked into their socks walking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sandycove for me... would love to live in one of those old houses looking over the sea with Teddy's nextdoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Ardmore, Co. Waterford. End thread

This. Exactly this!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I grew up there and loved the place itself - but had to move away to escape the knackbags...and I was sick to death of bumping into people I went to school with 10+ years ago. Nobody seems to leave that damn town.

This is a pretty typical experience of Dublin in general I find, everyone seems to know everyone around Blackrock/Stillorgan/Dundrum areas. Some people love the small town knowing everyone experience but I really hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Laytown!!!!

Lovely spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Gillington wrote: »
    Come to Bray!

Is that a joke? Maybe 20 years ago it was but not today. I went there for a day during the summer for the first time in years and I couldn't believe what a kip it's turned into. It gone really shabby and run-down looking.

Advertisement