Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dutch dont want tourists anymore

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I went to Holland for a joint and ended up a heroin junkie.
    I had no say in my demise.
    Fortunately, I got home, drank 10 pints, took 4 anadin and ate some msg infused takeaway food and now I'm fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Jake1 wrote: »
    Love the bit at the end on the jamaican vacation :

'spliff rolling lessons ' :D

I'm just back from Negril Jamaica. Stayed across the bay from Bob Marley's old gaff. I 'highly' recommend it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I just wanna be able to buy enough for the weekend, maby even one nights worth. For me , i smoke a minuscule amount in a ciggy for flavor and obviously buzz. having to buy on the streets i end up with a years worth (ish) that i will smoke in (arbitrary number) of days instead, because its lying around.

What pisses me off.... a good friend and trainee psychologist got caught at a music festival with a tiny amount. Ends up in rural court house on a drugs charge. This charge could effectively wipe out his career as it would lead to him failing garda clearance forever, 5/6 years of education gone in a puff for a spliff at a summer concert. thats the state failing him and all of us.
    Thats why i think the european project has failed. tolerance in one state and punishment and life altering consequences in another.

The Gardaí love it, With a few token possession of cannabis charges for the local court every month it makes them look like they are having a impact on the drug scene. Its some state and they know it too, Solicitors must be making a fortune off the custom they get from the defendants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ahhh Pity Amsterdam is a great city. I have to say I always felt wellcome there. The Dutch of late seem to be slowly dropping their famous toleration and liberalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

44leto wrote: »
    Ahhh Pity Amsterdam is a great city. I have to say I always felt wellcome there. The Dutch of late seem to be slowly dropping their famous toleration and liberalism.

Great city it is not.I go over twice a year have been over 9 times in total the place is full of hawkers trying to extract as much from people as possible.Denmark is supposed to be legalizing it in a few months.Amsterdam is a dirty kip if they take away the weed it will be like a ghost town.Go to Rotterdam ,Eindhoven,or Haarlem better smoke at cheaper prices.And with regards to stag parties ect to be fair i have never seen any trouble and often enough i have been walking around the RLD at 5 am i did see a big gang of morricans fighting though that was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

It seams the end has come for holidays in Holland. And with that, my faith in the European project (if the euro wasn't enough). anyone else think its pressure from other Euro country's to conform? Not Portugal obviously.

prohibition = failure.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1215/breaking52.html

Jesus, this europhobic paranoia shít is incessant. I never realised so many people read British tabloids in this country.

The EU has been brilliant for this country. Most of us don't want to go back to the Ireland of pre-1973. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Dionysus wrote: »
    Jesus, this europhobic paranoia shít is incessant. I never realised so many people read British tabloids in this country.

The EU has been brilliant for this country. Most of us don't want to go back to the Ireland of pre-1973. Fact.

If they let us grow our own weed here i am all for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Great city it is not.I go over twice a year have been over 9 times in total the place is full of hawkers trying to extract as much from people as possible.Denmark is supposed to be legalizing it in a few months.Amsterdam is a dirty kip if they take away the weed it will be like a ghost town.Go to Rotterdam ,Eindhoven,or Haarlem better smoke at cheaper prices.And with regards to stag parties ect to be fair i have never seen any trouble and often enough i have been walking around the RLD at 5 am i did see a big gang of morricans fighting though that was funny.

Well I wouldn't touch the stuff, I just don't like it. But I do like the Dam, I think it is a nice compact city. I never did meet any trouble there, but I can see why others would not like it.
    You are right it is a rip off and the acc is terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Seachmall wrote: »
    The difference is even extreme use of cannabis is far less dangerous than those mentioned, posing no overdose risks and little, if any, long term negative health effects. ...
    The usual platitudes spouted with zero credible scientific data to back them up.

Regular cannabis smokers have double the risk of developing mouth and lung cancers as regular tobacco smokers. Tobacco smoking poses no threat to a smoker's mental health; young male cannabis smokers are (depending on race) anywhere from 3 to 8 times more likely to develop a cannabis-induced psychosis.

Have a look at monographs and other papers authored by Wayne Hall, Nadia Solowij and Jim Lemon and others for the US NDARC.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    There's also a huge flaw in the idea that if it's legalized there would be a massive jump in the number of users. There may be a small jump but you would not see people on every corner smoking joints as some seem to believe. ...
    So while positing misleading platitudes and unsubstantiated nonsense as "fact" you are now gifted with prescience. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Liamario wrote: »
    Do people realise that to legalise it in this country would be the worst decision ever. This country has a problem and it's the inability to consume things in moderation. Alcohol and cigarettes for example.
    What do you think will happen if cannabis is legalised in this country?!?!?

This has nothing to do with the actual argument going on itself but I'd just like to mention that your use of superlative here diminishes your argument. It comes off as a little childish for some reason. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mathepac wrote: »
    The usual platitudes spouted with zero credible scientific data to back them up.

Regular cannabis smokers have double the risk of developing mouth and lung cancers as regular tobacco smokers.

Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. “Legalization: Panacea or Pandora’s Box.” New York. (1995): 36.
    Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
    Nahas, Gabriel G. and Nicholas A. Pace. Letter. “Marijuana as Chemotherapy Aid Poses Hazards.” New York Times 4 December 1993: A20.
    Inaba, Darryl S. and William E. Cohen. Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders: Physical and Mental Effects of Psychoactive Drugs. 2nd ed. Ashland: CNS Productions, 1995. 174.

young male cannabis smokers are (depending on race) anywhere from 3 to 8 times more likely to develop a cannabis-induced psychosis.

There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

Iverson, Leslie. “Long-term effects of exposure to cannabis.” Current Opinion in Pharmacology 5(2005): 69-72.
    Weiser and Noy. “Interpreting the association between cannabis use and increased risk of schizophrenia.” Dialogues in Clincal Neuroscience 1(2005): 81-85.

"Cannabis use will impair but not damage mental health." London Telegraph. 23 January 2006.
    Andreasson, S. et al. “Cannabis and Schizophrenia: A Longitudinal study of Swedish Conscripts,” The Lancet 2 (1987): 1483-86.
    Degenhardt, Louisa, Wayne Hall and Michael Lynskey. “Testing hypotheses about the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 71 (2003): 42-4.
    Weil, A. “Adverse Reactions to Marijuana: Classification and Suggested Treatment.” New England Journal of Medicine 282 (1970): 997-1000.

Have a look at monographs and other papers authored by Wayne Hall

See Wayne Hall highlighted above.

http://forum.grasscity.com/legalization-activism/553882-myths-facts-about-marijuana.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

Its time to bring the drug war to the next level bomb some pubs kill a few alcos. Then they start to listen. Alcohol has taken friends money mobile phones my dignity from me. Illegal contaminated cannabis has given me a disease which has cut my life short. Drug dealers are to blame AND irish government. CAB just take the proceeds of crime off the businessmen drug dealers and so are indeed profiting from the prohibition of cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Regular cannabis smokers have double the risk of developing mouth and lung cancers as regular tobacco smokers. Tobacco smoking poses no threat to a smoker's mental health; young male cannabis smokers are (depending on race) anywhere from 3 to 8 times more likely to develop a cannabis-induced psychosis.
    Unless someone can show me some evidence to the contrary I'm going to go with the assumption that there's no such thing as "cannabis-induced psychosis". In ten years of smoking cannabis and knowing people that have smoked much, much longer I've never met or met someone that knows someone who's had this psychosis.

I've known a handful of people that have ended up in a bad way from drugs, most from drink but for the majority of them they where nuts going in and the drugs only exacerbated problems they had anyway, the point being the drugs didn't help but they didn't cause the problems the problems where there from the beginning.

All I can take from that is that if this psychosis does exist it's so rare as to be a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

the dutch don't want tourists anymore

prohibition = failure.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1215/breaking52.html
    Watch the population jump though.:D
    As an aside, talking about population, I hear people saying 'The population of Holland is very dense'.
    The population of Holland is not dense. :mad: Holland is densely populated.
    There's a difference. Also, we're just stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

as125634do wrote: »
    Its time to bring the drug war to the next level bomb some pubs kill a few alcos. Then they start to listen. Alcohol has taken friends money mobile phones my dignity from me. Illegal contaminated cannabis has given me a disease which has cut my life short. Drug dealers are to blame AND irish government. CAB just take the proceeds of crime off the businessmen drug dealers and so are indeed profiting from the prohibition of cannabis

Illegal contaminated cannabis ??? do elaborate please , didnt know it could be contaminated?

eimear10 wrote: »
    Illegal contaminated cannabis ??? do elaborate please , didnt know it could be contaminated?

Just another thing the government fail to tell you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

mikom wrote: »
    Just another thing the government fail to tell you.....

scary alright , but not that common !! Id say id have more luck getting a bad pint in an old bar than getting contaminated weed!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

scary alright , but not that common !! Id say id have more luck getting a bad pint in an old bar than getting contaminated weed!
    Unless you are intelligent about Cannabis and/or have a good source then you're almost certainly getting sprayed or dipped weed in this country.

It's incredibly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It is bad news because it undermines the arguement for legalisation in other countries. Yes most people who smoke are normal people however it does attract another element as well, there are a lot of wasters living in Amsterdam who are not dutch and half the reason is that its legal. If it was legal everywhere in Europe they would not really have that element because they would not be attracted just for that.

Great news about the Basque area though, I would imagine the rest of Spain will go that way as well, its very much tolerated there in comparision to other countries.

Regulated vs. unregulated.
    It's more common than you'd imagine.

This page may help you keep up to date on the subject in Ireland..... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sprayed-Weed-Ireland/319824681361833

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mikom wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Spain and Switzerland......
    Probably Copenhagen soon enough too.

There is massive money to be made from drugs, and drug tourism, especially if it was legalised and regulated like tobacco/booze(cannabis is NOT legal in holland).

I was amazed reading about a small island who actually permitted the opening of the doors of a recreational drug manufacturing lab there and turned it into a tourist attraction! you probably haven't heard of the drug (C2H5OH) but its listed in the number 1 most harmful drug by the Lancet medical journal, ahead of heroin, crack cocaine, methampehtamine (crystal meth), and regular cocaine. And foreign tourists are even bringing kids to this drugs lab :eek: You can see locals openly abusing the drug inside, off their fucking skulls on the stuff, some violent, meant to be real nasty stuff. I don't think they restrict sales to locals either, not certain. You would think the locals would be up in arms but most encourage it, searching now they say its the island's main tourist attraction and in recent years -they even announced a special day to commemorate the now dead gangster who used to run the whole operation.

Heres an article about the Lancets journals report on it, scary stuff http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes most people who smoke are normal people however it does attract another element as well, there are a lot of wasters living in Amsterdam who are not dutch and half the reason is that its legal.
    They hide them well. There are a few junkies hanging around the red light scamming tourists but the rest of the Dam is nothing like the red light.

rubadub wrote: »
    Probably Copenhagen soon enough too.

There is massive money to be made from drugs, and drug tourism, especially if it was legalised and regulated like tobacco/booze(cannabis is NOT legal in holland).

I was amazed reading about a small island who actually permitted the opening of the doors of a recreational drug manufacturing lab there and turned it into a tourist attraction! you probably haven't heard of the drug (C2H5OH) but its listed in the number 1 most harmful drug by the Lancet medical journal, ahead of heroin, crack cocaine, methampehtamine (crystal meth), and regular cocaine. And foreign tourists are even bringing kids to this drugs lab :eek: You can see locals openly abusing the drug inside, off their fucking skulls on the stuff, some violent, meant to be real nasty stuff. I don't think they restrict sales to locals either, not certain. You would think the locals would be up in arms but most encourage it, searching now they say its the island's main tourist attraction and in recent years -they even announced a special day to commemorate the now dead gangster who used to run the whole operation.

Heres an article about the Lancets journals report on it, scary stuff http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

Have not clicked the link, but I'm gonna guess....... "To Arthur".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Have a look at monographs and other papers authored by Wayne Hall, Nadia Solowij and Jim Lemon and others for the US NDARC.
    So while positing misleading platitudes and unsubstantiated nonsense as "fact" you are now gifted with prescience. That's impressive.

That's what bongs pipes and vaporisers are for. No need to mix in deadly tobacco with your weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

Dionysus wrote: »

Im not afraid of Europe, I think its a useless bureaucracy.
    the only rag brit tabloid I would read is the ones i find on public transport for s**ts and giggles.

If Europe ( I say europe here and not dutch as i believe its an EU behind the scene policy as stated in op) wants to stop people traveling to The Netherlands to buy their weed, as thousands upon thousands of Italian/French/Germans do every weekend, the obvious solution would be to allow the sale of weed in all of europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Amsterdam is a dirty kip if they take away the weed it will be like a ghost town.

You do know an entire city exists beyond De Wallen?

Visit it sometime, lovely place.

Advertisement