Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dutch dont want tourists anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Liamario wrote: »
    Well I making comparisons. This country has shameful stats when it comes to tobacco and alcohol consumption.
    But as you mentioned they're in our culture, why do you assume it will apply to cannabis?

Suggesting we, as a people, are more prone to excessive drug use, regardless of the drug, is also an assumption.
    Well obviously one of the main ways that cannabis is consumed is through smoking; which normally contains tobacco in the joint as well.
    Only in Ireland and the UK, because it's so expensive due to it's legality.

Most people don't smoke with tobacco, although some do to make the joint burn smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Seachmall wrote: »
    But as you mentioned they're in our culture, why do you assume it will apply to cannabis?
    Suggesting we, as a people, are more prone to excessive drug use, regardless of the drug, is also an assumption.

Of course it's an assumption, but it's not without merit. I'd be quicker to learn from the past in this country than to use countries with significantly different cultures/take your word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

IF it were possible to properly controlled and tax it, I'd be all for it's legalisation. (coming from someone who is straight edge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Of course it's an assumption, but it's not without merit. I'd be quicker to learn from the past in this country than to use countries with significantly different cultures/take your word for it.

How did alcohol prohibition work out in the U.S?
    Similar enough culture?

In terms of affects, addictiveness and usage they are two entirely separate drugs.

I have shown that the legalization of cannabis itself does not necessarily cause an increase of users. Your assumption that our history of alcohol use is directly related to cannabis is without merit.

You may refute that, but it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Thread of the week! One dumb girls struggle to get people to sympathize with the cuts to her free money. Heart wrenching.

In the first few posts she used the term our human rights. Your human rights are shelter and clothing I believe. You get that. Anything else is not your entitlement, it's money that is very very generously given to you for doing nothing. You did not earn this money, you do not deserve this money. Our country decided to appropriate funding to people in your situation, that's all it is.

"if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not"

Harsh?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Thread of the week! One dumb girls struggle to get people to sympathize with the cuts to her free money. Heart wrenching.

In the first few posts she used the term our human rights. Your human rights are shelter and clothing I believe. You get that. Anything else is not your entitlement, it's money that is very very generously given to you for doing nothing. You did not earn this money, you do not deserve this money. Our country decided to appropriate funding to people in your situation, that's all it is.

"if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not"

Harsh?

Easy on the sauce there Wompa1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

mikom wrote: »
    How did alcohol prohibition work out in the U.S?
    Similar enough culture?
    Not similar at all to be honest. For one prohibition happened over 80 years ago, where America was effectively a different world to what it is now. Besides, I'm not talking about prohibition, I'm talking about legalisation.

Besides, I'm not talking about prohibition, I'm talking about legalisation.

Read that back to yourself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

....which have huge bustling tourism industries. :confused:

Ever been to Bruge for instance, about a tenth of the size of Amsterdam, has far less to offer culturally, and is one of the most visited cities in the world.

Far more people travel for culture and architecture than they do for access to legal drugs, it supports the tourism industry in most European cities.

And btw Amsterdam is a very beautiful city, I've been many times, and I will return despite this rule.

But Bruge has the canals, that kinda sets it apart from other cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do people realise that to legalise it in this country would be the worst decision ever. This country has a problem and it's the inability to consume things in moderation. Alcohol and cigarettes for example.
    What do you think will happen if cannabis is legalised in this country?!?!?
    Something completely different, you can't compare the problems alcohol create the the possible problems cannabis would cause. They are completely different, even in a worst case scenario where people start abusing cannabis on mass (which hasn't happened anywhere) it's better than abusing alcohol if we where to replace our alcoholic s with stoners it would be an improvement, even if our alcoholics just added cannabis to their life it would be an improvement because it would drastically reduce their alcohol intake.

Overall I hate this argument, us Irish can't make logical changes because we're to stupid/dumb/prone to badness. It's a stupid argument that will see us stuck in the past and ignorant. If it makes more sense to legalise cannabis (and it clearly does make more sense) then we should do it.
    Well I making comparisons. This country has shameful stats when it comes to tobacco and alcohol consumption.
    Well obviously one of the main ways that cannabis is consumed is through smoking; which normally contains tobacco in the joint as well.
    Only in Ireland and the UK due to our soap past where you needed tobacco to make a spliff. If cannabis was cheaper people wouldn't use tobacco. Ireland doesn't top the charts of alcohol abuse any more, we're up there but not the worst same goes for tobacco.
    The only way I could accept its legalisation is it was available on prescription only. Not necessarily for health reasons, but for the purpose of ensuring that it's consumed in moderation. I don't trust this population to use it appropriately to be honest.
    Maybe your not able to control yourself but that's your problem the rest of us shouldn't have our rights restricted because of a tiny minority.
    Not similar at all to be honest. For one prohibition happened over 80 years ago, where America was effectively a different world to what it is now. Besides, I'm not talking about prohibition, I'm talking about legalisation.
    Prohibition in the states was a religious smear campaign. It was an attack against certain foreigners and began by Christian women's groups that didn't like the idea of people drinking because of their religious leanings. It's exactly the same as today, prohibition is completely political, science doesn't support it and even the police force admits it's an impossible law to enforce effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

HovaBaby wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with cannabis being legalized?

Tom here get's a stern warning for possessing cannabis, he has a peaceful smoke on a Saturday night. 2 years down the line he gets a fine. Meanwhile drunks drive around the place causing deaths, beating up their wives and messing up their families. Oh, and die from liver failure.

I raise my flag to the Swiss and Spanish, at least they have some common sense. Hopefully Ireland will have some common sense too, someday. Once the current crop of old-timers TD's die out, and the OAP's who would protest morning, noon and night if Cannbis was close to being legalized die out too, maybe it'll happen. In the meantime people need to go to interbred scumbags who'd cut you in less than a second to get some weed.

People always say this ,but cannabis leads to a lot of mental illness ,depression ,pyscosis etc. i dont think it would be a good idea if it was legal

maxfresh wrote: »
    People always say this ,but cannabis leads to a lot of mental illness ,depression ,pyscosis etc. i dont think it would be a good idea if it was legal

Troll?

Can't tell.

maxfresh wrote: »

Correlation does not imply causation.

Most rapists drink tea rather than coffee.
    Therefore tea must be the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Do people realise that to legalise it in this country would be the worst decision ever. This country has a problem and it's the inability to consume things in moderation. Alcohol and cigarettes for example.

Dealers will be out of business. Government will make lots of money on taxes. And smokers will smoke. Kinda looks like a win-win to me.

Ps the Government and Legislature's job is to create laws that assist in the functionality of the State. It isnt their job (or shouldnt be) to save us from ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Less hangovers. Less drunken violence. You wouldn't find stoners causing mayhem in A&E.

The legal status is kind of irrelevant anyway as it's so easy to get drugs if you want them. I don't buy into this apocalyptic scenario because the drugs are already out there. The only thing that legalisation will do is ensure that you are getting good quality stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Don't be silly, you're comparing chalk to cheese. The last thing this country needs is more substances to get ****ed up on.

people still smoke regardless of it being illegal. and it cost the state health system also.

legalising it would make it safer (controlled by regualtions)and the tax take would mean less austerity measures would be needed and more tax money to improve the health system.

Well I still have a full year left to participate in dutch coffeeshop culture. I might make one last trip for old times sake. With other European countries decriminalising Holland will become kind of irrelevant anyway. Go to Portugal or Spain. Sunshine and spliffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Do you think people only go to the netherlands for dope?:rolleyes:

They also go there to see windmills and tulips and to wear clogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

I just wanna be able to buy enough for the weekend, maby even one nights worth. For me , i smoke a minuscule amount in a ciggy for flavor and obviously buzz. having to buy on the streets i end up with a years worth (ish) that i will smoke in (arbitrary number) of days instead, because its lying around.

What pisses me off.... a good friend and trainee psychologist got caught at a music festival with a tiny amount. Ends up in rural court house on a drugs charge. This charge could effectively wipe out his career as it would lead to him failing garda clearance forever, 5/6 years of education gone in a puff for a spliff at a summer concert. thats the state failing him and all of us.
    Thats why i think the european project has failed. tolerance in one state and punishment and life altering consequences in another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thats why i think the european project has failed. tolerance in one state and punishment and life altering consequences in another.
    That doesn't make any sense to me. Countries can have their own laws, It's not the EU's fault any particular country has stupid laws to appease it's people. The EU is individual countries it's not supposed to be a superstate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'm sure respectable people are welcome, but why would they want a bunch of pissed up sex tourists and hash heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'm sure respectable people are welcome, but why would they want a bunch of pissed up sex tourists and hash heads?

because they keep the country going..... and 'hash heads' arent exactly a bad thing, they buy food, buy weed and walk around thinking everything is more amazing than it actually is

ScumLord wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense to me. Countries can have their own laws, It's not the EU's fault any particular country has stupid laws to appease it's people. The EU is individual countries it's not supposed to be a superstate.

bla bla bla. The eu is the only reason the anti-homosexuality laws in this country were reversed. I was hoping bla bla bla.....

should have chose my words properly in the first place, im not (just yet) saying europe has failed, im saying its over for me.

'What pisses me off.... a good friend and trainee psychologist got caught at a music festival with a tiny amount. Ends up in rural court house on a drugs charge. This charge could effectively wipe out his career as it would lead to him failing garda clearance forever, 5/6 years of education gone in a puff for a spliff at a summer concert. thats the state failing him and all of us.
    Thats why i think the european project has failed. tolerance in one state and punishment and life altering consequences in another.[/QUOTE]

I was watching a program on 183 the other night, the difference in the laws across the states was mindboggling. In Seattle, while against the law, seldom prosecuted, as part of decision of Mayor and District Attorneys office. You can basically puff away in front of the law, and they will leave you alone :) They are making great money from taxes, saving great money on prosecuting and incarcerating people. Taking it out of the hands of cartels etc. its a Win Win for Seattle as far as the mayor and city chiefs are concerned.

yet in across the country , in New York, you will be F***** if caught with a few grams.
    ridiculous.

Seattle , seems like a good place to visit.:)

Jake1 wrote: »
    'What pisses me off.... a good friend and trainee psychologist got caught at a music festival with a tiny amount. Ends up in rural court house on a drugs charge. This charge could effectively wipe out his career as it would lead to him failing garda clearance forever, 5/6 years of education gone in a puff for a spliff at a summer concert. thats the state failing him and all of us.

I was watching a program on 183 the other night, the difference in the laws across the states was mindboggling. In Seattle, while against the law, seldom prosecuted, as part of decision of Mayor and District Attorneys office. You can basically puff away in front of the law, and they will leave you alone :) They are making great money from taxes, saving great money on prosecuting and incarcerating people. Taking it out of the hands of cartels etc. its a Win Win for Seattle as far as the mayor and city chiefs are concerned.

yet in across the country , in New York, you will be F***** if caught with a few grams.
    ridiculous.

Seattle , seems like a good place to visit.:)[/QUOTE]

Google Rasta Vacations. I'll say no more.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Holland has been turning very right winbg for years now. And this is onlt the beginning.:(

Seattle , seems like a good place to visit.:)[/QUOTE]

Google Rasta Vacations. I'll say no more.....[/QUOTE]

ive been and stayed with the rastas of St Lucia many times, but Ill keep that site in mind :)

I only travel to user friendly countries.

yeah Mon LOL

rastas hate queers & love smoke
    dutch hate smoker tourists & love queers
    im going to have to start my own state.

Ill get you beer barron

no you wont!

Yes, I will

WONT!

• Advertisement

Love the bit at the end on the jamaican vacation :

'spliff rolling lessons ' :D