Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah since the eye closed down, the clientele has changed a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in the new romayos in cornelscourt, where aldos chipper was. It is like a diner, has booths and a toilet. The front counter is not like a normal chipper (where you see all the half cooked stuff on top through glass), it is more like a sandwich bar. They have chutes for the food to go on like in mcdonalds. They do have pizza ovens again, Aldos had pizza, when romayos first opened they did not. They did not have ice cream like the consilla one, however the counter at the front is full of cans and looks like it could become a place for ice cream.

Also worth noting that Aldo's were only open for lunch Monday to Friday and didn't open until 5 on weekends and were closed in the afternoon between lunch and 5 o'clock. Whereas Romayo's are open all day everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Also worth noting that Aldo's were only open for lunch Monday to Friday and didn't open until 5 on weekends and were closed in the afternoon between lunch and 5 o'clock. Whereas Romayo's are open all day everyday.

Must have dreamt all those times I'd go for an Aldo's after an early kick off in the tragic on a Saturday :-)

Must have dreamt all those times I'd go for an Aldo's after an early kick off in the tragic on a Saturday :-)

I must have remembered incorrectly. I think they were open all day Saturday and they only opened at 5 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cyrus wrote: »
    jesus differing sites for sure, bakers attracts a different crowd.

I imagine the Leop owners plan to change the crowd it attracts. There are 1,100 new homes settling in on the old golf course, largely at an upper income level, a quality watering hole with good grub is a sure money spinner. Maybe a dedicated restaurant upstairs in the old function rooms.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I imagine the Leop owners plan to change the crowd it attracts. There are 1,100 new homes settling in on the old golf course, largely at an upper income level, a quality watering hole with good grub is a sure money spinner. Maybe a dedicated restaurant upstairs in the old function rooms.

Gentrification :D. On a serious note though I would think McCormacks would be more local for the people living down down in Honeypark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pubs in Dublin suburbs can be largely beholden to people who can walk to them and that's a long old walk from honey park

Interesting to see how they get on in an any event but the one time I had occasion to be in bakers corner in the last 18 months was enough to put me off going back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Honey park and cul nawhatever are a good bit away from bakers. And generally full of families not the young free couples who can frequent pubs

I wouldn't go as far as to say Baker's is a long walk from Honeypark but I would definitely say that McCormacks would be more the local pub in that area.

It seems to me that Bakers is doing well the way it is at the moment so why would the new owners want to change that? At the end of the day it will more than likely remain as a pub for at least the foreseeable future if it wasn't doing well then surely it would have been sold for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

That area has a lot of social housing, including Honey Park. Not exactly the demographic that would be eating out all the time.

• Advertisement

That area has a lot of social housing, including Honey Park. Not exactly the demographic that would be eating out all the time.

And those that have would probably head towards Dalkey or Monkstown as there’s better selection

is there 10% social in honey park?

that would grind my gears if i had paid 800k for a house :rolleyes:

I think thst the corner block by Tesco and Monkstown farm is all social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

To be fair the social housing areas around Dun Laoghaire are very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Social housing in mixed estates would tend to be the cream of the local authority's housing stock and 'problem' families are not going to get anywhere near the place so I wouldn't really worry about it.

If you mess around with the council, are late paying rent, constantly calling the maintenance dept. for trivial issues, the subject of complaints from your neighbours or anything remotely in that ballpark, the last place they are going to give you is a house in a mixed private/public housing development.

coylemj wrote: »
    Social housing in mixed estates would tend to be the cream of the local authority's housing stock and 'problem' families are not going to get anywhere near the place so I wouldn't really worry about it.

If you mess around with the council, are late paying rent, constantly calling the maintenance dept. for trivial issues, the subject of complaints from your neighbours or anything remotely in that ballpark, the last place they are going to give you is a house in a mixed private/public housing development.

i was just looking at it from the POV of what i would have paid versus my neighbour! thats without the risk of a problem neighbour which could can happen with anyone

i was just looking at it from the POV of what i would have paid versus my neighbour! thats without the risk of a problem neighbour which could can happen with anyone

The social ones get a lower spec and finish and tend to be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ted1 wrote: »
    The social ones get a lower spec and finish and tend to be smaller.

Not true at all. Side by side identical, if not at even a higher spec. And will be upgraded at no cost to the tenant over the years also.

One bedroom Social-housing fabulous top of the range fully furnished apartment in the old Dun Laoghaire golf courss/Honeypark at a rent of €14.00 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Chinasea wrote: »
    Not true at all. Side by side identical, if not at even a higher spec. And will be upgraded at no cost to the tenant over the years also.

One bedroom Social-housing fabulous top of the range fully furnished apartment in the old Dun Laoghaire golf courss/Honeypark at a rent of €14.00 per week.

Some out my way I mentioned before, About 600 - 700 k and the houses are Identical (Social & Private)

I was up there the other day (working) and asked why someone had a portable loo in the garden. Your one that moved in not but a year ago (Brand New Estate) got pregnant again and needs more space for the kids and is getting a two story extension built on the back by the council. To a normal buyer that house in that area when upgraded would probably be close to 800k - 1M

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Some out my way I mentioned before, About 600 - 700 k and the houses are Identical (Social & Private)

I was up there the other day (working) and asked why someone had a portable loo in the garden. Your one that moved in not but a year ago (Brand New Estate) got pregnant again and needs more space for the kids and is getting a two story extension built on the back by the council. To a normal buyer that house in that area when upgraded would probably be close to 800k - 1M

The difference is once you buy it its yours and nothing can be done to take it away from you, people on social housing can be evicted at any time for whatever reason so they have to be very well behaved.

You are paying for the privilege of owning a house and knowing full well its yours for good.

People on social housing are just renting and can be moved out at any time.

• Advertisement

tomofson wrote: »
    The difference is once you buy it its yours and nothing can be done to take it away from you, people on social housing can be evicted at any time for whatever reason so they have to be very well behaved.

You are paying for the privilege of owning a house and knowing full well its yours for good.

People on social housing are just renting and can be moved out at any time.

except for the small matter of servicing a huge mortgage ;)

except for the small matter of servicing a huge mortgage ;)

Of course, thats why I mentioned the fact you are paying for it.

tomofson wrote: »
    Of course, thats why I mentioned the fact you are paying for it.

yes but the post reads like its an after thought , no one can take the house from you etc etc

of course they can if you cant pay,

behaving yourself and acting like a normal person so you dont get kicked out is a better deal

josip wrote: »
    Are they 'just renting'?
    I've always believed that people in social housing have more security of tenure than someone renting privately, but maybe I was mistaken.
    Is a well behaved family in social housing ever moved against their wishes as long as their family size doesn't decline?

There has probably being cases but in general no they wont be moved if they are well behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thread-derailed.png

Chinasea wrote: »

The ones I’ve see have been lower spec and in many places you go , you can easily pick out the social blocks.

Some social housing is for elderly

Some like affordable housing and shared ownership are for normal workI got people. I think the limit is up to 45 for a single person and 70k for a couple.

So a teacher or two teachers would be eligible. It’d not just unemployed who get social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some like affordable housing and shared ownership are for normal workI got people. I think the limit is up to 45 for a single person and 70k for a couple.

So a teacher or two teachers would be eligible. It’d not just unemployed who get social housing
    I thought that all the affordable housing and shared purchase schemes were closed down around 2010?

where did being unemployed factor into my post? two teachers would still be paying a lot less than me, anyway not an issue for me personally, but its one reason why honeypark had no appeal for me when we were looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The ones I’ve see have been lower spec and in many places you go , you can easily pick out the social blocks.

I specifically mentioned Honeypark Dun Laoghaire.

Advertisement