Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If HoF were to close down then perhaps BT might be interested in the unit, another retailer I could see opening up there would be John Lewis if they decide to enter the Irish market.

heard Fast Retailing, operators of Uniqlo, have looked at Dundrum for their first Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I much preferred the spiraling stair case from the 1st floor to the basement. Since 2001, the only way up or down is the single escalator system and lift located near the back.
    Senature wrote: »
    I much preferred the spiral staircase too. All irrelevant now though I presume.

Spiral staircases are fairly dangerous, without no clear flat space to put your inner side foot down. They're not good for anyone with mobility difficulties, or who is a bit old and frail, or anyone with some sight loss. There's a lot of people in Blackrock who fit into one or more of those categories.
    JaMarcus wrote: »
    Any talk about what's going to happen to HoF in Dundrum? I know it's only a recent development, but it's a huge space. I assume no one will take the whole store over multiple stores (or at least I can't think of anyone who would fill all that space by themselves) so will it just be a few separate retailers instead?

Between HoF, Hamley's and Urban Outfitters, that's a big bunch of empty space for a centre like Dundrum. It's hard to think of too many existing retailers who could fill any of those spaces. I wonder if it would be possibile to get something like a bowling/quasar/jumpzone place for kids and teens into Hamley's old space.
    HOF isn’t an empty unit!!

I wonder if it would be possibile to get something like a bowling/quasar/jumpzone place for kids and teens into Hamley's old space.

Bravo, well played :D

https://cloud.lovindublin.com/images/uploads/2015/10/_blogWide/Dundrum-5.jpg
    It’ll only flood again...,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

heard Fast Retailing, operators of Uniqlo, have looked at Dundrum for their first Irish store.

I would like to see them open here as they have some good stuff in Oxford Street shop but I would think that the HoF unit would be too big for them. Perhaps the Urban Outfitters unit would be more suited to them I would think.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The HoF unit in Dundrum is enormous, could see it being split up into multiple smaller units.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The HoF unit in Dundrum is enormous, could see it being split up into multiple smaller units.

I could see Brown Thomas being interested

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Are hof leaving dundrum ?

Cyrus wrote: »

It's rumoured as they're having financial difficulties in the UK.

Wasn’t hof bought by sports direct already ? And isn’t dundrum seperate or am I imagining all this ?

Wasn’t hof bought by sports direct already ? And isn’t dundrum seperate or am I imagining all this ?

Both correct however that's leading to an uncertain future for them here in Ireland

• Advertisement

The Irish one is profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

From within the industry, its certain that hof Dundrum will be in ownership of sports direct. Its just not as urgent as the uk deal and as its not loss making, there's no absolute urgency.

Probably resolved by 1st week sept.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    From within the industry, its certain that hof Dundrum will be in ownership of sports direct. Its just not as urgent as the uk deal and as its not loss making, there's no absolute urgency.

Probably resolved by 1st week sept.
    Is there not an urgency with regards getting restocked etc?
    I doubt many suppliers would be willing to put stock in there with so much uncertainty about who will pay for the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ted1 wrote: »
    I doubt many suppliers would be willing to put stock in there with so much uncertainty about who will pay for the stuff.

Nope - once in administration new supplies have a payment guarantee.

The good news for suppliers of Dundrum is the deficit is not meant to be substantial and as they are a separate legal entity to the UK stores, dundrum suppliers will see a far greater payment than 3p in the £1 that UK suppliers are getting.

A lot of the non payment will also be covered by invoice insurance as most suppliers would have some form of cover.

Also, it seems that the HOF name will disappear and replaced by "Flannels" (upmarket dept store format of Mike Ashley's) and "Sports Direct". In the case of some stores, Sports Direct will take over an entire floor if that is accessible independently.

So in the theme of this thread - Sports Direct and Flannels Dept. Store may be opening in Dundrum :)

CeilingFly wrote: »

Nope - once in administration new supplies have a payment guarantee.

The good news for suppliers of Dundrum is the deficit is not meant to be substantial and as they are a separate legal entity to the UK stores, dundrum suppliers will see a far greater payment than 3p in the £1 that UK suppliers are getting.

A lot of the non payment will also be covered by invoice insurance as most suppliers would have some form of cover.

Also, it seems that the HOF name will disappear and replaced by "Flannels" (upmarket dept store format of Mike Ashley's) and "Sports Direct". In the case of some stores, Sports Direct will take over an entire floor if that is accessible independently.

So in the theme of this thread - Sports Direct and Flannels Dept. Store may be opening in Dundrum :)
    Flannels is such an awful name. Sports direct is just tack.

Flannels is such an awful name. Sports direct is just tack.

Flannels is better than HOF in fairness, better range of clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Flannels is better than HOF in fairness, better range of clothes

When I see HOF in this thread this springs to mind.

season-4-pictured-david-hasselhoff-as-michael-knight-photo-by-gary-picture-id140764042?k=6&m=140764042&s=612x612&w=0&h=71hVuOr7EfJNzcl2A-k1UTnR_xDpNmqfMPgWTLNAvVY=

Flannels means old cleaning rags to me, terrible name.

I was in the new romayos in cornelscourt, where aldos chipper was. It is like a diner, has booths and a toilet. The front counter is not like a normal chipper (where you see all the half cooked stuff on top through glass), it is more like a sandwich bar. They have chutes for the food to go on like in mcdonalds. They do have pizza ovens again, Aldos had pizza, when romayos first opened they did not. They did not have ice cream like the consilla one, however the counter at the front is full of cans and looks like it could become a place for ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    however the counter at the front is full of cans and looks like it could become a place for ice cream.

Standard design for them now for some reason. Or at least there's no ice cream two years later in my local one, just cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭cobham

Nice to see a new shop in lower Georges Street Dun Laoire, ( opp St Michael's) that is a general hardware store... makes a change from coffee shop or charity one. Hope it survives.... handy to pick up some small DIY item without trek to a bigger store.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sure there'd be much point in a Sports Direct in Dundrum, there is one 10 minutes away in Carrickmines.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Not sure there'd be much point in a Sports Direct in Dundrum, there is one 10 minutes away in Carrickmines.

Lifestyle, Boots and TK Maxx all have a store in both

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cobham wrote: »
    Nice to see a new shop in lower Georges Street ( opp St Michael's) that is a general hardware store... makes a change from coffee shop or charity one. Hope it survives.... handy to pick up some small DIY item without trek to a bigger store.

Your alternative 'trek' would be a 300m stroll to Costello's around the corner in Patrick St. ......

https://goo.gl/maps/6gMbkik8Jz22

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in the new romayos in cornelscourt, where aldos chipper was. It is like a diner, has booths and a toilet. The front counter is not like a normal chipper (where you see all the half cooked stuff on top through glass), it is more like a sandwich bar. They have chutes for the food to go on like in mcdonalds. They do have pizza ovens again, Aldos had pizza, when romayos first opened they did not. They did not have ice cream like the consilla one, however the counter at the front is full of cans and looks like it could become a place for ice cream.

Still no mention of it on their website or on their social media which I find kind of odd. Lots of advertising for it on the side of bins mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Curtain Trader & Gift Shop in Newtownpark Avenue is now back open for business following it's recent renovation work.

There is also another new store open in Blackrock Shopping Centre called Impact Gumshields. It is near the fairtrade coffee shop & The Card Company shop upstairs opposite the florist & near the Frascati Road entrance.

There is another coffee shop now open near the Eir store on Blackrock's main street where that salad bar place was opened before.

I heard on Facebook that Baker's Corner has been sold to the owner of the Lep Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I heard on Facebook that Baker's Corner has been sold to the owner of the Lep Inn

Funny, I passed it on the 46A on Friday last and noticed that the paintwork was looking a bit tatty and all the flower baskets were gone. Wondered if they were about to redecorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Bakers Corner bought by the Leopardstown Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Bakers is sold. Staff and customers know.
    Second post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Still no mention of it on their website or on their social media which I find kind of odd.

They (romayos chipper) were looking for drivers on facebook. There was an electrician there wiring stuff up the other day, and looked like panels needed to be fitted to some things. Maybe they want to take it easy and have things running right and iron out any problems, rather than a big influx of people "trying out the new place".

I wonder when the bakers corner chipper is opening, I think its called "express".

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »
    Bakers Corner bought by the Leopardstown Inn.

jesus differing sites for sure, bakers attracts a different crowd.

Advertisement