Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax to be passed onto tenants? No thanks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

"Household charge"

OP, you are the household, not the Landlord.

Not according to the bill that will be passed regarding this payment. It specifically states that owners of property are liable. Not tenants.

Landlords can't take the law into their own hands or bring in "extra charges" when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Branoic wrote: »
    This notion that tenants have that all landlords are some type of fat cat property developers out to screw tenants and who are responsible for the current problems is a joke. Newsflash - landlords are regular people too.

My wife and I are a young couple. We bought a small 1 bed apartment 6 years ago. The plan was to live there for a couple of years then sell it and move on when we were ready to start a family. Didn't quite work out.

Sorry but you shouldn't have believed the hype about getting on the property ladder at all costs. :(

I have to say I know a fair few landlords who have many multiple houses.
    After starting with one they decided post 2001/2002 to start leveraging their existing property and that interest only mortgages could make them millionaires when they eventually sold.
    And for a while they were millionaires on paper, but once the tide went out they have left there sitting holding onto their genitals wailing about it is so hard to survive, how they were misled and even asking where is their bailout.
    Well tough sh** is my reply.
    Branoic wrote: »
    Had to move out 3 years ago and in with the inlaws because with job losses etc we could no longer afford the mortgage.

The rent we get is less than half the mortage repayment.

We have the PRTB expenses

We have the BER cert expenses

We even have the fookin "Non Principal Residency" tax because even though we don't own another property, it's still not our principal residence because we no longer live there.

We bend over backwards to keep our tenants happy whenever they have an issue.

So I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fat cat property developer who screwed over all you poor tenants in the boom years, and yes, I do think the household charge should be passed on to residents / tenants, just like a TV licence. I for one certainly won't be paying it (apart from going halves on the house we're currently in).

You will pay it.
    You might be able to pass on some or all of the cost to the tenants through rent increase, but you are liable for this tax.
    Oh btw there is no law that states you can demand or get rent to cover all your costs.
    It as someone mentioned, like demanding wage increases to meet your outgoings.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    This is the problem when communists like Labour get into power. The folks that voted for them are to blame for this tax, and they will be the ones paying for it.

Oh dear God what planet are you if you think that anyone in Labour is a communist.
    Perhaps you have spent too long listening to republican shock jock radio over there in the sun in Arizona. :rolleyes:
    lolo62 wrote: »
    well said.

what seems to be the problem from where im standing is that the imf have outlined it as a 'property tax' and enda kenny has said its a 'household charge' and this is why there is so much confusion...?

I think this is exactly the point.
    The IMF wanted an ongoing annual tax on property and Kenny has tried to sell this to people by claiming it is a tax on local services.
    Hence landlords claim it should be paid by the tenants and not the owners.

I think there should be a property tax on peoples' personal home and then another higher property tax on investment/rental property, both of which are liable to be paid by the property owner.
    You pay one or other on a property and not both since you can't totally rent your personal home.
    Landlords can attempt to pass on these costs if the market allows it.

Then there should be separate water charges, refuse charges, etc that like electricity, gas, tv are payable by whoever is living in a property.

Of course in Ireland once again we have made a balls of this.

Make no mistake there are hefty property taxes coming and to make a dent in the debts/deficit there is a damm good chance it will be a lot bigger than 100 or 200 a year.
    howtomake wrote: »
    Thank you, finally some sense! Was thinking the same thing! Doesn't matter, the market will always dictate the price of rent. People getting their panties in a bunch. My real concern is if this 100 is just the beginning, we need to keep our eyes & ears open to that and not this blank vs blank nonsense again.

You do know we need to shave another 4/5 billion off our deficit ?
    Where do you expect the taxes to come from ?
    daltonmd wrote: »
    Completely agree. Landlords who think that they can pass these taxes onto tenants are living in a dream world.

These taxes will be raised every year - following on from the logic of some people here, that means that rents will rise?

That is a crazy notion -the fundemantals in the economy have not changed, tenants, like landlords have and will continue to have falling disposable income and rising costs of living.

This year it's 100 euro, what about when it reaches 600 per year? Do landlords think that they can continue passing these taxes on?

Ultimately this will force those accidental landlords who can to try and offload their properties, this will also effect house prices and investors coming into the property market will factor in these costs as well as buying property at a fraction of boom prices.
    They will then rent them out undercutting those who are keeping the rental market artificially high, basing rents on mortgage repayments rather than market rates.

Excellent post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I rent. I have never once seen my LL. I signed lease with estate agent who promptly forgot about me once the documents were signed. I had to go to them once for something and I wasn't on files. Which was fine. I had the washing machine repaired and deducted from rent. Left a message with LL's secretary stating it would be done. He eventually called back to confirm. Haven't heard from them again.

As for refuse services. The council doesn't provide them. It's all taken care of by property management and the cost involved was associated with the rent. I pay my rent in full every month and usually 4 - 5 days early just so it is paid by the day it's due. No problems other than the washing machine.

The place was only given a quick clean and some walls were scruffy when we moved in but I didn't mind. I've kept it clean, damp free and in good order. I pay all my bills on time and nothing outstanding. In other words I'm a damn good tenant.

Should I get a letter looking for an increase it will be denied. I am not paying it. Don't care. If the LL doesn't pay it, it will go against his property and will not hinder me. When water meters come in, then fine I will pay as I use it just like electricity. I won't pay a property tax for a property I don't own. Should my LL not like my decision well he can either like it or lump it. I can find another property to move into and he will be losing a very good tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a shocking and very revealing way of thinking.
    Not really it is the reality. I have stated before that I current rent the place out cheaper to a long term tenant, the government are making this situation untenable. As you pointed before the tenant is not doing any favours for the LL or vice versa it is a business.
    I am actually breaking the law by renting it below the market rate due to bad wording by the law makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Not really it is the reality. I have stated before that I current rent the place out cheaper to a long term tenant, the government are making this situation untenable. As you pointed before the tenant is not doing any favours for the LL or vice versa it is a business.
    I am actually breaking the law by renting it below the market rate due to bad wording by the law makers.

Now I have heard everything!!!! :D roflol!

Reminds me of Monopoly.. go to jail!

• Advertisement

Interesting divide; language too reflects this.

Only E2 or less a week...

Peanuts to the LL... and wonder what landlord would increase the rent by E2 a week only!

As for services; private spring here, and all tenants see to their own refuse. No street lighting here either; not for about three miles in any direction.

Care to link to that law?

If it is a business then landlords have to accept that if they didn't share their profits during the boom then they can't share their losses in the bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

jmayo wrote: »

You do know we need to shave another 4/5 billion off our deficit ?
    Where do you expect the taxes to come from ?

Ah my point wasn't about the deficit, my point was this whole nonsense of landlord vs tenant is getting pretty stupid like the private vs public. Its the govt we need to keep an eye on and how they introduce things. Not in a 'down with the govt' sort of way, but we just all need to be aware & keep focus about being informed on what they do. And to not get distracted. That's all.

Can't we just leave it at 'the market will decide the price':D.

There are a myraid of factors that influence the fluctuations of the price for renting. And I don't think any landlord with common sense who actually has a close enough relationship would do anything to upset a good tenant.

Ah its one of those business relationships where compromises have to be made and everyone will live in reality one way or another. If you are a tenant or landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't often agree with Ming . . . . . but in a recent tv debate on this subject he mentioned that compared to giving it to the council you would get better value for money from your €100 by setting fire to it and standing around it for heat. This is aside from the fact that in years to come this figure will rise and rise and rise.

By way of example Dun laoghaire county council :

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-defends-annual-bill-for-staff-car-parking-2953494.html
    Independent.ie
    Council defends annual bill for staff car parking

By JEROME REILLY
    Sunday December 04 2011

Cash-strapped Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Council is paying nearly €40,000 a year to provide free private car parking for staff as local senior citizens who need their car for mobility face a potential annual parking bill of more than €800.

The council pays for 60 car parking spaces in Bloomfields Shopping Centre car park for its staff, county manager Owen Keegan admitted earlier this year.

Mr Keegan, who has clashed with local residents and retailers in Dun Laoghaire over the council's tough parking regime, justified the free car parking for council staff on the grounds of efficiency.

"It is important in the interests of operational efficiency that staff who need their cars in the course of their work should have access to convenient parking.

In response to a letter from local resident Paul Howard, who had suggested that council staff could easily use the West Pier car park, Mr Keegan responded: "I would not consider the West Pier car park to be especially convenient."

During the first seven months of this year, local residents, shoppers and traders paid more than €3.5m in parking fees and fines.

According to Vincent English of the local Combined Residents' Association, parking is particularly problematic for seniors who need their car for mobility -- especially daily mass-goers who could end up paying €624 a year for the privilege.

The potential annual bill is calculated on the basis of a parking permit (€40 a year), daily mass attendance (€624) a weekly shopping trip (€104) and a monthly medical appointment (€48).

- JEROME REILLY

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

The owner of the house pays the TAX on it not the renter.

THE OWNER OWNS THE HOUSE.

ITS VERY SIMPLE.

TRULY SHOCKING!! THAT THE LL THINKS THE TENANT SHOULD PAY THIS.

THE TENANT IS ALREADY BUYING YOUR HOUSE FOR YOU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

THe governement know they have zero chance of getting money from tenants as they are constantly moving around. This is a property tax that will always be levied on the owner.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Care to link to that law?

If it is a business then landlords have to accept that if they didn't share their profits during the boom then they can't share their losses in the bust.
    What do you think tax is if it is not sharing your wealth? You are assuming it is a loss that LL make just becasue there is an increase. I didn't increase my rent every opportunity but in future I will. Maybe it won't be for a few years but it is swings and roundabouts. No more mister nice guy.

I beleive the 2004 tenancy act uses the term "market rate" overly which effectively meant that you could not charge above nor below. It was actually on this forum that people insisted this was the way it stands legally. Haven't read through the law in a while but been told that by a lawyer too as I didn't beleive it either. So apparently legally you can't rent residential property below the market rate. I have no problem accepting it isn't true and ignore it anwya as they would never charge for it

What do you think tax is if it is not sharing your wealth? You are assuming it is a loss that LL make just becasue there is an increase. I didn't increase my rent every opportunity but in future I will. Maybe it won't be for a few years but it is swings and roundabouts. No more mister nice guy.

I beleive the 2004 tenancy act uses the term "market rate" overly which effectively meant that you could not charge above nor below. It was actually on this forum that people insisted this was the way it stands legally. Haven't read through the law in a while but been told that by a lawyer too as I didn't beleive it either. So apparently legally you can't rent residential property below the market rate. I have no problem accepting it isn't true and ignore it anwya as they would never charge for it

Market rate is the prevailing price, as determined by supply and demand, at which goods, services, etc., may be bought or sold.

You can "ask" whatever rent you want, this is not illegal. The question is if there are 10 houses of equal standard to yours asking less then could you rent it out?

If a tenant does choose to rent your home at an excessive rent that that is not illegal, that is called "consumer choice".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I think we are all feeling just a little angry at the economic situation, that's normal. But I'm sure if one has good tenants they'll want to keep up a good relationship with them. Even from purely a business perspective €100 vs. good up keep of the property? I don't know, I'd be more worried about the value of the property. But also at some time if it means having to increase rent to keep up with the market value then that's what they'll have to do.

Anyway I'm just curious (in a morbid sort of way, it is after all money going out :() as to how this new tax will progress and if they are telling us everything about it.

The owner of the house pays the TAX on it not the renter.

THE OWNER OWNS THE HOUSE.

ITS VERY SIMPLE.

TRULY SHOCKING!! THAT THE LL THINKS THE TENANT SHOULD PAY THIS.

THE TENANT IS ALREADY BUYING YOUR HOUSE FOR YOU.

I agree with the first part - but not the last.

Tenants are paying for a service provided by a landlord. It's a business transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

One hundred euro to start with
    Once the system is streamlined, database sorted and staff up to date they will jack it up. ;)
    Maybe two hundred, maybe six hundred, who knows?

Anyway, the market will sort this out.
    I'm met my landlord once, he has multiple properties, about fifteen I think. Professional landlord, gets things repaired promptly and is easy to deal with.

Now as for some haphazard amateur landlords, they're the ones I've had issues with. . Some people just are not cut out for it, it's not as simple as watching the rent lodged on internet banking and ignore the tenant.
    Not a clue what they're doing. And also not open to rent reductions, I recognize they are under more pressure that professional landlords who bought over a decade ago.

But if they ask me for this property tax I'd laugh at them and then ask do they do think it's worth losing a long term tenant over a small sum as this?
    Just one month's vacancy, even two weeks vacancy on most any flat would wipe out that increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I have to say I know a fair few landlords who have many multiple houses.
    After starting with one they decided post 2001/2002 to start leveraging their existing property and that interest only mortgages could make them millionaires when they eventually sold.
    And for a while they were millionaires on paper, but once the tide went out they have left there sitting holding onto their genitals wailing about it is so hard to survive, how they were misled and even asking where is their bailout.
    Well tough sh** is my reply.

Of course, if a lot of landlords pulled out of renting, then your rents would go up again - fewer properties to rent and even with the same amount of tenants wanting to rent - law of supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

odds_on wrote: »
    Of course, if a lot of landlords pulled out of renting, then your rents would go up again - fewer properties to rent and even with the same amount of tenants wanting to rent - law of supply and demand.

That doesn't really follow. What would these landlords be doing with their empty buildings which they still have to pay property tax on, despite making no income from?

How does that work? If landlords pull out of renting then I presume they will have to dump the properties onto the market, in doing this they will create a surge of properties, they will then have to compete with each other, lots of properties and few buyers mean lower prices.
    Investors tempted onto the markets will buy these at a fraction of the price, they will then put these on the rental market - meaning lower rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I beleive the 2004 tenancy act uses the term "market rate" overly which effectively meant that you could not charge above nor below.

Wrong....In setting, at any particular time, the rent under the tenancy
    of a dwelling, an amount of rent shall not be provided for that
    is greater than the amount of the market rent for that tenancy at
    that time.

There is ionly an upper limit to the amount charged according to the 2004 act....

SOURCE: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2004/en.act.2004.0027.pdf

• Advertisement

:confused: Did I miss something???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

You're missing one crucial thing there, 50% of private rented accomodation is paid for by the state, what would happen if the government drastically cut the upper limits that the state were willing to pay?

Most landlords would then have to cut the prices hugely if the government implemented such a thing.

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused: Did I miss something???
    Yes in your predjudice you missed I improve my property don't put up the rent and give my long term tenants a reduced rate below the market rates. That is me being nice when I don't have to.

Yes in your predjudice you missed I improve my property don't put up the rent and give my long term tenants a reduced rate below the market rates. That is me being nice when I don't have to.

Sounds more like rewarding long standing good tenants and giving them an incentive to stay. Hardly giving it out of the goodness of your heart in all fairness.

big syke wrote: »
    Sounds more like rewarding long standing good tenants and giving them an incentive to stay. Hardly giving it out of the goodness of your heart in all fairness.

I really don't believe many landlords offer their tenants LOWER than the market rent, not unless they threaten to leave, in that case it's not being nice it's being smart...

Thats what i was getting at.

Thats what i was getting at.

Sometimes you need to spell it out :-)

Giving somebody a reward that I don't have to is being nice. I think it is very nice to reduce the rent when a tenant's son moves out and they no longer can pay the market rate as their payments reduce.
    As I don't have to give it and do where do you think it comes from if not the goodness of my heart. I could ask her to move out and put up the rent or simply give her a notice I am putting up the rent and if she can't afford it ask her to move out.
    She is an OK tenant not actually a good tenant.

Giving somebody a reward that I don't have to is being nice. I think it is very nice to reduce the rent when a tenant's son moves out and they no longer can pay the market rate as their payments reduce.
    As I don't have to give it and do where do you think it comes from if not the goodness of my heart. I could ask her to move out and put up the rent or simply give her a notice I am putting up the rent and if she can't afford it ask her to move out.
    She is an OK tenant not actually a good tenant.

I wouldnt call that nice i'd call it a very good business decision. If she couldnt afford it and/or asked to move out you would have to Re Let the property, mayb do a few bits around the house and possibly lose a couple of months rent. Smart move on your part no doubt, but your hardly mother teresa.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt call that nice i'd call it a very good business decision. If she couldnt afford it and/or asked to move out you would have to Re Let the property, mayb do a few bits around the house and possibly lose a couple of months rent. Smart move on your part no doubt, but your hardly mother teresa.
    Longest I have ever had a place empty is a week in 20 years. Really €150 a month cheaper and I am not doing her a favour. You guys have some sense of entilement when it comes to other peoples' money. As I said I am not going to do it any more. Much better than other places in the area and will easily get an extra €150 if not €200 a month. Condesing boiler, new double glazed windows and the whole place is insulated way above new build standards.

If I am am not even seen as doing her a favour might as well look out for my own financial interest

Advertisement