Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hijpo wrote: »
    , when will i get a break from paying out more money?

When voters cop the fuhk on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Hijpo

squod wrote: »
    , when will i get a break from paying out more money?

When voters cop the fuhk on!
    Are any of them really any diffrent though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

donalg1 wrote: »
    Provided they dont charge you of course, "raise 160m sure that'd be easy oh but dont charge me for it, make everyone else pay"?

I didn't say don't charge me. I said find a different way of raising it. Stop deluding yourself, and deliberately misinterpreting other peoples post, to make your point seem relevant.
    Hijpo wrote:

For the main part no, but we are told you get what you deserve for electing these self serving knobheads. The sooner we get a few more "upstarts" in the dail the better. Then there may be enough of them to really upset the establishment, and bring the gravy train to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Slick50 wrote: »
    Provided they dont charge you of course, "raise 160m sure that'd be easy oh but dont charge me for it, make everyone else pay"?

I didn't say don't charge me. I said find a different way of raising it. Stop deluding yourself, and deliberately misinterpreting other peoples post, to make your point seem relevant.

I fail to see your point you say you won't pay this charge but will pay €100 if it's called something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I fail to see your point you say you won't pay this charge but will pay €100 if it's called something else?

I think he means find another way besides taxes to raise it.
    Like the €5 increase to the charge that the government collects from planes flying over/near ireland that i suggested but the defenders of the tax conveniently missed.

• Advertisement

My point, as I have already stated is, I object to the charge being levied against my home.

We had several independents running last time 'round. Shane Ross TD said there'd be a sea change in voting for the following elections (2015?).

Anyway it's in everybody's interest to address the issue of party whips. Deciding policy behind closed doors then having a mock ''debate'' on the floor of the house. Complete rubbish.

If we want democracy well have to abandon the idea of big parties running the show and give a red card to the likes of FF, FG.

Cronyism, self interest, corruption.......... it all has to go. This means voting independents. Break up the large parties and put debate back on the floor of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Cronyism, self interest, corruption.......... it all has to go. This means voting independents. Break up the large parties and put debate back on the floor of the house.

Sounds wonderful. 160odd people with different ideas on what to do, and who can't agree on even the simplest policies, spending endless hours arguing with each other and grandstanding for the public.

You honestly haven't a clue, do you?

Sounds wonderful. 160odd people with different ideas on what to do, and who can't agree on even the simplest policies, spending endless hours arguing with each other and grandstanding for the public.

You honestly haven't a clue, do you?

Thought you were kicked out with the other trolls. Oh look wiki is working again. Here's a link on democracy
    The members of the assembly then make decisions with a majority vote

If it results in the established system of cronyism and self serving, closed rank, bullsh*te that is going on at the moment, being dismantled, then it will be an improvement.

And it is coming, because people are totally sick of being taken for a ride. Roll on the next election.

• Advertisement

And it is coming, because people are totally sick of being taken for a ride. Roll on the next election.

yeah, I'm sure that will solve everything :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Good point!

You've said yourself, you can't believe anything these numties say. So you think we should just carry on blindly re electing these lying f*ckers, to take it in turns to milk us?

Thought you were kicked out with the other trolls. Oh look wiki is working again. Here's a link on democracy

Either you haven't a clue how the system you're proposing wouldn't actually work in practice, or you do and you're just being disingenuous.

Either way, you don't come out of this looking too clever.

black francis is not for turning.

Enda has even described the tax as unjust and unfair.

Either you haven't a clue how the system you're proposing wouldn't actually work in practice, or you do and you're just being disingenuous.

Either way, you don't come out of this looking too clever.

I can't be bothered arguing with you. Let's just say you've lost and have it over with shall we? Troll added to the ignore list.

This gem of a link was posted by squod in post 1605.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Agreed Ian. They crib over this tax but bet they wont get rid of a 2.5 ltr vehicle cause they need it to go to the shop to look good.

Actually, I need my 2.5 ltr land rover for work. And no, I wont be paying the tax, and yes, I DO work for the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

"IT IS MORALLY WRONG, UNJUST, AND UNFAIR TO TAX A PERSONS HOME" - ENDA KENNY - 1994

How much we're you bought for by berties pals enda ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1994? That's stretching it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This country needs a bit of a reality check. I met my parents for dinner yesterday and we got talking about this. They bought a house in the south of france last year and they pay €1600 per year property tax on it. They also pay myriad of other taxes in relation to the house, a local council tax etc. We have been bailed out with French and German money and when they hear how little taxes we pay and how much our civil servants are paid in comparison to them they are p*ssed to say the least. I have absolutely no problem paying this charge and paying water charges when they come in.

The people who are against this charge and water charges are delusional and especially the TDs who are refusing to pay are a f*cking disgrace and an embarrassment to us all.

• Advertisement

1994? That's stretching it a bit.

The principals are the same, just Enda and Co have forgotten them, (along with a few on here). Must be the rare atmosphere in the dizzying hight of power.

@MadYaker, they don't pay VRT in France, should we dispose of that?. We don't have to replicate everything other countries do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Do try keep up. France was done already. 5% VAT on food, a wealth tax and incentives for job creation and sustainability.

The reason why so many people move there from here and the UK. It's cheaper and the weather is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

MadYaker wrote: »
    We have been bailed out with French and German money and when they hear how little taxes we pay and how much our civil servants are paid in comparison to them they are p*ssed to say the least.

Replace ''pissed'' with ''jealous'' and you might be closer to the point. You know full well they get proper services in return for their taxes. Perhaps they don't realize that not all of us get the same services as they do. Their taxes in return for the services they get are their own internal business. In Ireland we decided to put up with sh1t services in return for low taxes so we could spend the extra money in our pay packets on fancy weekend breaks to cities where jealous ingrates in France and Germany benefit the most from it and on French wines and German cars the exact same way. The whole point of raising our taxes in Ireland is not to improve our services but to send the money to private stockmarket gamblers in France and Germany. Hence they can fu(ck off with their attitude. They have no right to have an attitude. They are using us to launder money into their own banks and to bail out their greedy immoral elites. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    This country needs a bit of a reality check. I met my parents for dinner yesterday and we got talking about this. They bought a house in the south of france last year and they pay €1600 per year property tax on it. They also pay myriad of other taxes in relation to the house, a local council tax etc. We have been bailed out with French and German money and when they hear how little taxes we pay and how much our civil servants are paid in comparison to them they are p*ssed to say the least. I have absolutely no problem paying this charge and paying water charges when they come in.

The people who are against this charge and water charges are delusional and especially the TDs who are refusing to pay are a f*cking disgrace and an embarrassment to us all.

Spoken like a good Party man. You will go far ... well to daddy's hideaway in France. is he a bondholder like Noonan?

psychward wrote: »
    Replace ''pissed'' with ''jealous'' and you might be closer to the point. You know full well they get proper services in return for their taxes.

It is true that they get better services but their system is clearer superior to ours when you consider the mess were in. Im in favour of higher taves if it means better services in the long run and hopefully once we are out of recession and have paid off our debts that is what we will get.

is he a bondholder like Noonan?

No. And I resent your accusation that I'm a party man I'm not a member of any political party.

Do try keep up. France was done already. 5% VAT on food, a wealth tax and incentives for job creation and sustainability.

The reason why so many people move there from here and the UK. It's cheaper and the weather is better.

Keep up yourself. The point of the post was we don't have to replicate what others do or have done. Phill Ewlose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Keep up yourself. The point of the post was we don't have to replicate what others do or have done. Phill Ewlose.

Latest news for those not keeping up. Ireland has introduced a property tax. We didn't have to but we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

As they toiled in the fields,
    thick arms and backs of steel,
    praying only for a chance
    they never had
    held them close
    like only a father can
    and dreamed through their eyes

So as they pass the baton on
    those once dreamy eyes forlorn
    and bleek and greedy,
    "For I shall have all
    those were your dreams not mine"
    as they sell his toil
    to the devil in fine.

• Advertisement

psychward wrote: »
    Replace ''pissed'' with ''jealous'' and you might be closer to the point. You know full well they get proper services in return for their taxes. Perhaps they don't realize that not all of us get the same services as they do. Their taxes in return for the services they get are their own internal business. In Ireland we decided to put up with sh1t services in return for low taxes so we could spend the extra money in our pay packets on fancy weekend breaks to cities where jealous ingrates in France and Germany benefit the most from it and on French wines and German cars the exact same way. The whole point of raising our taxes in Ireland is not to improve our services but to send the money to private stockmarket gamblers in France and Germany. Hence they can fu(ck off with their attitude. They have no right to have an attitude. They are using us to launder money into their own banks and to bail out their greedy immoral elites. Nothing else.

1) they get better services for their taxes mainly because they have a denser population density allowing public services to be delivered more (ahem) efficiently.

2) France and Germany couldn't give a **** how our tiny country spent our after-tax euros, we're a footnote on their balance sheets.

3) please explain (in as much detail as you're able to manage) how we fund our country after we've told Germany to **** off?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement