Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Where To wrote: »
    I will pay and so will 90% of the people who say the won't.

Armchair rebels surrender easily.

Remember this classic?......oh, theres more, theres more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kepler_johan

dvpower wrote: »
    Yeah. Its only a potential cost, as I said.

Big claim from the No campaign in the second paragraph - that they will organise legal representation for anyone brought to court. I wonder how they plan on financing this. Maybe they mean that they will phone a lawyer for you.

Based on the numbers coming from the Alexa website, I'll have a better chance winning the lotto than ending up in court. I've researched the topic and have come to this decision based on the information and the numbers of people who have registered/not registered. I'll take my chances, thanks very much.

If you are happy to pay the €100 this year, then who knows how much more next year on the household tax that's your decision. I won't try to convince you otherwise, it's your business, but I'm not going to pay and I'm not changing my mind based on the comments you've given.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Big claim from the No campaign in the second paragraph - that they will organise legal representation for anyone brought to court. I wonder how they plan on financing this. Maybe they mean that they will phone a lawyer for you.

How do the solicitors of "New Beginning" work then,when they are represnting people in court,who are having their house taken back by a bank??

They work for free (no cost to their client).

Theres also FLAC too.

You really are a clueless idiot.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And the more you post here,the more and more you show it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Biggins wrote: »
    RTE news just reported that only one sixth of those liable for the charge, so far have now paid it.

If they weren't in Gilmore's pocket they'd have said five out of six of those liable have not paid it.

Let's stop paying the TV tax (aka licence) while we're at it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

If our [EMAIL="cr@p"]useless[/EMAIL] politicians start bringing people to court over non payment of this immoral tax, then they will probably need to call the army onto the streets....make no mistake, since the bank guarantee was announced an anger has been building inside the people, it has been bubbling away for the past 3 years and I think this will finally blow the lid, the government have got this one seriously wrong!!!!.....the sooner they realise this the better for themselves and us!

• Advertisement

To DV Power and his pathetic carry on at desperately trying to scare people.........

How do the solicitors of "New Beginning" work then,when they are represnting people in court,who are having their house taken back by a bank??

Theres also FLAC too.

You really are a clueless idiot.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

mod: banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

paddy147 wrote: »

Theres also FLAC too.

You really are an idiot.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have standards slipped that much on boards now that this kind of "post" is not moderated?
    Whether you agree with the poster or not is one thing, when you have to resort to this type of personal abuse,then i feel you're losing any credibility
    and with it the argument

leedslad wrote: »
    Have standards slipped that much on boards now that this kind of "post" is not moderated?
    Whether you agree with the poster or not is one thing, when you have to resort to this type of personal abuse,then i feel you're losing any credibility
    and with it the argument

Well its true.

He hasnt a clue of the facts (post 5761 and many others).

He makes lots of threatening household charge claims that he cant back up or prove.

If you are going to make a claim then at least have the proof or have the homework done.

Clearly DV Power has neither done,with his replies and posts..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    If our useless politicians start bringing people to court over non payment of this immoral tax, then they will probably need to call the army onto the streets....make no mistake, since the bank guarantee was announced an anger has been building inside the people, it has been bubbling away for the past 3 years and I think this will finally blow the lid, the government have got this one seriously wrong!!!!.....the sooner they realise this the better for themselves and us!
    I think you're over egging the pudding here.

There certainly is some anger out there, but also a realisation and a certain resignation that there are going to be more taxes and cuts to services over the next few years at least.

There are some protests planned over the next few weeks where we'll be able to gauge this better, particulary the Ard Fheis protest. I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

I'ts something i've wondered about, but haven't got around to finding out.
    Could you please tell me how they get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Ghandee wrote: »
    I dont get this response?

Its €8.33 a month too fcuking much!!!

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

This charge is for us to pay back the BILLIONS squandered by them, robbed by them, and mismanaged by them FFS!

It doesnt matter two fiddlers farts the amount, its just the fact that we have to pay it in the first place!

Oh yeah, its 100 this year (TO BEGIN WITH) what will it be next year if we let them away with slipping it under the door this year?

Civil disobedience is the way forward, lets all stand together, tell FG and the greedy bankers to go fcuk themselves!

Typical response from the 'ah sure it'll be grand brigade'!

Fcuk em, Fcuk the lot of them!

Absobleedinlutley..

Last year when I was at my friend's in England she explained to me about their tax to the local corporation.. then she explained that this covers the water and bins. I would be totally OK with paying the €100 if we were getting services for our €100 and yes it is €100 too much regardless of whether you can afford it or not. It's basically paying rent to live in your OWN HOME>
    PRINCILPES PEOPLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can anyone begin to envisage the anger that would be shown on the streets if a person was taken to court for non payment of the Household Charge while not one Banker has appeared yet for wrecking the entire economy ?
    They wouldn't have the balls to do that.
    Don't register, don't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

greenpilot wrote: »
    Where To wrote: »
    I will pay and so will 90% of the people who say the won't.

Armchair rebels surrender easily.

Remember this classic?......oh, theres more, theres more!!

What that poster was failing to realise was, an armchair rebellion is exactly, and all thats needed in this protest.

I'ts something i've wondered about, but haven't got around to finding out.
    Could you please tell me how they get paid?

You know what a phone or google is?

Google it,or pick up a phone and ring them and ask them nicely,and they will tell you.

http://www.newbeginning.ie/who-should-contact-us/

"We encourage any homeowners coming before the Courts who face having their homes repossessed, yet have no legal representation, to contact us.

Our advocacy grouping are working around the clock on a voluntary basis, they will not be paid for their time or support in representing these individuals.

Have you been served with a writ claiming repossession of your home?

New Beginning is calling for members of the public who are facing repossession proceedings and have no current representation, to contact us".

make no mistake, since the bank guarantee was announced an anger has been building inside the people, it has been bubbling away for the past 3 years and I think this will finally blow the lid, the government have got this one seriously wrong!!!!.....the sooner they realise this the better for themselves and us!

Yep - as they have no democratic mandate for paying the German bank's gambling debts this could blow! Especially when you read the naked threats being posted here by supporters of the Regime.

When do we get to start stringing blueshirts, Stickies and their apologists from the lampposts?

Pity we have to wait for the default! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wild Bill wrote: »
    When do we get to start stringing blueshirts, Stickies and their apologists from the lampposts?
    :eek:
    'fraid all you get to do is vote them out at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fine Gael 2011 Manifesto.
    The famous 5 point plan.
    And lookie here.......

Funding Local Government: Fianna Fail’s proposal, now endorsed by the Labour Party, to introduce by 2014 an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair. But as we tackle the fiscal crisis, we will have to cut central exchequer funding for local authorities, and we recognise that local authorities will have to find more sustainable sources of revenue appropriate to local circumstances. What will be viewed as fair in South Dublin might be viewed as unworkable in rural Clare.

In this context, we will empower local authorities to put in place, following the 2014 local elections, fairer alternatives to Fianna Fail’s and Labour’s recurring annual tax on the family home. The options would include:
    No extra local taxes, forcing local authorities to close non-priority services and / or to deliver increased efficiencies;
    • Increased local user charges for waste etc.; or
    • The option of a local “site sale profits tax”. Such a tax would be levied on the profit made from the site value on the sale of a residence (sales proceeds, less cost indexed by inflation, less stamp duty paid and less home improvements)

The final measure might be considered as both fairer and more economically sensible than an annual recurring property tax. Whichever option local electorates choose, for the first time since the 1970s local government will have real independence from central government in deciding what services to provide at local level and how to fund them.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

With regards any remote and desperate ploys by FG of courts any legal matters,theres also FLAC

Free Legal Advice Centre.

(waits for all the Enda Fans here to deny this too).

:eek:
    'fraid all you get to do is vote them out at the next election.

No point. As we've seen last year you vote against a policy and get it anyway.

I'm thinking lampposts! :D

No point. As we've seen last year you vote against a policy and get it anyway.

I'm thinking lampposts! :D

I can rig up an electric chair instead if you like, as long as my name is not on the esb bill for running it. They might think i own it then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You know what a phone or google is?

Google it,or pick up a phone and ring them and ask them nicely,and they will tell you.

http://www.newbeginning.ie/who-should-contact-us/

"We encourage any homeowners coming before the Courts who face having their homes repossessed, yet have no legal representation, to contact us.

Our advocacy grouping are working around the clock on a voluntary basis, they will not be paid for their time or support in representing these individuals.

Have you been served with a writ claiming repossession of your home?

New Beginning is calling for members of the public who are facing repossession proceedings and have no current representation, to contact us".

It doesn't say anything there about representing people who break the new law.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Paddy147 banned.
    and with it the argument

Complains about standards.

Doesn't report the post.

With regards any remote and desperate ploys by FG of courts any legal matters,theres also FLAC

Free Legal Advice Centre.

(waits for all the Enda Fans here to deny this too).

The irony here is that those who can easily afford to pay are also those who can afford to refuse to pay.

The tactic of the Regime is to threaten and scare the vulnerable; but it won't work - you can't attack a million households when you have absolutely no democratic mandate.

I'm thinking Ghadaffi's fate might suit Enda - the video would be a hit on youtube and bring pleasure to millions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

while we are at it we should all refuse to pay tv licence....not a joke, i am serious, what will they do, take over 1 million householders to court?...
    a number of years back rte went crying cap in hand to government claiming there had not been a rise in tv licenece for so many years...and the government slapped €40 approx. onto the cost (if my memory is correct)

the tv licence should be no more than €10 per year!!!....168 euro a year to rte....for what ?....time to cut the apron strings i think, let them sink or swim...
    .....a TEN year driving licence costs €25, a ten year passport costs €80 / €110, BUT!!! a ten year tv licence costs €1,680 !!....but I can see why...it's obvious.... a driving licence only permits you to drive a 1 ton vehicle on public roads with all the responsibility that goes with that.... a passport is probably THE most important document an individual will ever posess so enough said....and finally a ten year €1,680 tv licence gives us peace of mind while sitting on our @rses, in our own homes, for as long we like watching a group of public servants on a box wasting our tv licence money!!!!!......makes perfect sense......what a great country we have!!!!!

while we are at it we should all refuse to pay tv licence....not a joke, i am serious, what will they do, take over 1 million householders to court?...
    a number of years back rte went crying cap in hand to government claiming there had not been a rise in tv licenece for so many years...and the government slapped €40 approx. onto the cost (if my memory is correct)

Thats right, i think it jumped from €100 to €150 in a single increase, and we put up with it as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

The irony here is that those who can easily afford to pay are also those who can afford to refuse to pay.

The tactic of the Regime is to threaten and scare the vulnerable; but it won't work - you can't attack a million households when you have absolutely no democratic mandate.

I'm thinking Ghadaffi's fate might suit Enda - the video would be a hit on youtube and bring pleasure to millions :D

That kind of rhetoric does nothing for your cause btw. Totally un-necessary

mconigol wrote: »
    That kind of rhetoric does nothing for your cause btw. Totally un-necessary

My "cause" needs no enhancement - 1.5 million householders can't be wrong. ;)

Usurping democracy is surely a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

My Mother is 86 years old. She lives alone in her house which she paid for over the last God knows how many years. She has no internet, doesn't really read the the papers and doesn't always understand the news. She is not exempt from paying the household charge. She depends on a widows pension and what my family gives her.

Imagine for one minute that she is prosecuted for not paying the charge. Imagine for one minute the storm of publicity that would generate. Imagine how many people like her are out there.

This is the reality that the likes of FG/Labour and DVpower fail to realise.

My family and me are straight up and down law abiding citizens. We pay our taxes and do the right thing. Same with my wife's family. But on this we're unanimous. We're not paying.

For the first time in my life, I'm standing up for something that could result in me getting a record. Not before time, I think.

But in truth I'm not worried. The weight of public opinion is against this. Furthermore the fiscal treaty referendum will be defeated. FF may caused all this but FG and Labour are confounding the whole thing. We all may hate Ahern and Cowen but Kenny is a rat's arse away from being the most hated man in Irish history. Are you listening DVpower?

the tv licence should be no more than €10 per year!!!....168 euro a year to rte....for what ?....time to cut the apron strings i think, let them sink or swim...
    .....a TEN year driving licence costs €25, a ten year passport costs €80 / €110, BUT!!! a ten year tv licence costs €1,680 !!....but I can see why...it's obvious.... a driving licence only permits you to drive a 1 ton vehicle on public roads with all the responsibility that goes with that.... a passport is probably THE most important document an individual will ever posess so enough said....and finally a ten year €1,680 tv licence gives us peace of mind while sitting on our @rses, in our own homes, for as long we like watching a group of public servants on a box wasting our tv licence money!!!!!......makes perfect sense......what a great country we have!!!!!

Just like they are trying to do with the property tax, the government has fooled people for years, into believing a tv licence is actually a licence for a tv.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    fooled people for years, into believing a tv licence is actually a licence for a tv.

We now know it's actually a contribution to Labour Party funds! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement