Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I'd genuinely be surprised if at the end of all this; the overall tax-take exceeds the costs of implementing it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pressure-to-scrap-parking-fees-as-councils-lose-money-3026973.html

Which is exactly what will happen. Asking an in-efficient dinosaur to eat cash faster than we can feed it. That's the actual reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RTE news just reported that only one sixth of those liable for the charge, so far have now paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

dvpower wrote: »
    It seems to me that the stamp duty database would be a useful primary datasource.

IMO this is the most obvious way the government would collect details. Even where stamp duty was not paid on the purchase of a house, every single purchase was recorded with the Revenue Commissioners with purchaser's PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Id love to know where these figures come from. A grand you say? It won't be years to track down everyone who hasn't paid. Its only a matter of cross checking the ESB names and address's with those off the HHC database of who has and hasn't paid. Those who haven't paid can be sure of a letter by June id say.

A letter for what ?
    Is it to remind us that we are refusing to pay ? Sure we know that already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

eventually it will being to make money, once the subborn numpties get their late fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

I disagree with this "charge/tax" call it what you will but what i'ld like to know why there are exemptions

egan2020 wrote: »
    IMO this is the most obvious way the government would collect details. Even where stamp duty was not paid on the purchase of a house, every single purchase was recorded with the Revenue Commissioners with purchaser's PPS number.

There's still many houses that haven't changed ownership in generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

squod wrote: »
    And do what? Send the bill to Australia?
    Well, I suppose if people want to emigrate to Australia to avoid the tax ... :rolleyes:
    squod wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

They have to be very specific in legislation.

In this section—

“Act of 2010” means the Value-Added Tax Consolidation Act 2010;
    “relevant person” means—
    (a) the Private Residential Tenancies Board established under
    section 150 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004,
    (b) the Electricity Supply Board established in accordance
    with the Electricity (Supply) Act 1927,

(c) the Revenue Commissioners,
    (d) the Minister for Social Protection, or
    (e) any other person standing prescribed for the time being;
    “specified enactment” means—
    (a) the Tax Acts,
    (b) the Capital Gains Tax Acts,
    (c) the Act of 2010,
    (d) the Stamp Duties Consolidation Act 1999, or
    (e) the Act of 2003;
    “tax reference number” means—
    (a) in relation to an individual, that individual’s personal
    public service number (within the meaning of section 262
    of the Act of 2005), or
    (b) in relation to a body corporate—
    (i) the reference number stated on any return of income
    form or notice of assessment issued to that person
    by an officer of the Revenue Commissioners, or
    (ii) the registration number of the body corporate for the
    purposes of the Act of 2010.

Who gives a **** where they get peoples details from?
    It's one thing knowing where people are, it's another thing getting them to pay.
    My home is in joint names, I wonder who they'll come after for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Biggins wrote: »
    RTE news just reported that only one sixth of those liable for the charge, so far have now paid it.

i emailed them earlier today as to how accurate this was, (whether the figure they quoted included those who had registered for a waiver).
    no response as of yet, (which is as much as i expected from them:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Id love to know where these figures come from. A grand you say? It won't be years to track down everyone who hasn't paid. Its only a matter of cross checking the ESB names and address's with those off the HHC database of who has and hasn't paid. Those who haven't paid can be sure of a letter by June id say.

Oooooh, a letter you say, I'm ****ting myself already.
    I wonder will that letter have to be registered, I don't accept registered letters myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Who gives a **** where they get peoples details from?
    It's one thing knowing where people are, it's another thing getting them to pay.
    My home is in joint names, I wonder who they'll come after for it.

the maturity of some posters is shocking, I can't believe some of them actually have homes in the first place.

misdirected anger and pettiness with a dash of misplaced pride

Well, I suppose if people want to emigrate to Australia to avoid the tax ... :rolleyes:

You know the emigration figures. If you're going to keep standing up for an unfair tax at least let people know you're OK with tax dodging once it's done in another jurisdiction.

I suspect you're also fine with rich folk avoiding it too. (Non resident multi-millionaires who own properties in the state)

Misdirected anger?

I don't think there is any doubt at all about the ability to identify the defaulters. It is idiocy to suggest otherwise (abundant around here).

The only question is around enforcement. That's the real game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

eventually it will being to make money, once the subborn numpties get their late fees

:pac:

bgrizzley wrote: »
    i emailed them earlier today as to how accurate this was, (whether the figure they quoted included those who had registered for a waiver).
    Bank Holiday Monday

How so?
    It seems to me that once they have access to the various data sources, the data matching is a fairly simple matter. It used to be quite difficult in the distant past to match people with variations of their names and address in different databases, but the technology is quite advanced now.

I think people should be wary of taking advise that the task is too big.

As I've said DV, what difference will it make if they 'know where you live' or not.
    I still won't pay, and all these threats by Big Phil make me even more determined not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

the maturity of some posters is shocking, I can't believe some of them actually have homes in the first place.

More artillery being brought into this thread now.
    Too late. The war is lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bgrizzley wrote: »

I can't quote that the figure is accurate but I came across it here:

* http://www.thejournal.ie/people-using-household-charge-to-express-their-anger-says-wallace-389555-Mar2012/
    So far just one sixth of homeowners have signed up for the household charge. Deputy Wallace said the government has “underestimated the amount of anger out in the country”.

The figure was quoted on insideireland.ie › Business & News - but the site link seems to be down at the moment.

I guess they might have sources in the relevant government collection department.

• Advertisement

Wow! another way to find out where you live.

I'm at my wits end here, what with the letters and the fact that they have my address, I don't know what to do, all this worry and stress. NOT!

More artillery being brought into this thread now.
    Too late. The war is lost.

have they retracted the tax? no still there. sorry my mistake thought you were right for a moment

As I've said DV, what difference will it make if they 'know where you live' or not.
    I still won't pay, and all these threats by Big Phil make me even more determined not to.
    That's because, Gerry, you are a person of high principle. You'll refuse to pay come what may, up to the point (and beyond) that you are held in contempt of court for failing to follow a direction.

But others won't have your fortitude.

Bank Holiday Monday

Still would expect someone to be working in the news department. im sure im bottom of their priorty list though lol

srsly78 wrote: »
    They should just collect it through the electricity bill like they do in Greece, cut people off if they don't pay. All the internet hardcases would fall in line pretty quickly then. These new law changes facilitate exactly this kind of stuff.

I have a backup generator, happy days!
    God, you pro-tax muppets are getting more desperate by the day!

Biggins wrote: »
    I can't quote that the figure is accurate but I came across it here:

* http://www.thejournal.ie/people-using-household-charge-to-express-their-anger-says-wallace-389555-Mar2012/

The figure was quoted on insideireland.ie › Business & News - but the site link seems to be down at the moment.

I guess they might have sources in the relevant government collection department.

this is the sentence i queried, (from rte website)

By last Friday, over 260,000 households of the 1.6 million liable had paid the charge.

just wondering were they padding it by saying paid instead of registered (im sure the no side wouldnt do that :D)

I have a backup generator, happy days!
    Gerry is going off matrix to avoid the tax. Admirable determination.

Your a funny person.
    Now it's the maturity of people that's in question because they stand up for themselves.
    As you call people 'numpties'.
    Good chap.

That's because, Gerry, you are a person of high principle. You'll refuse to pay come what may, up to the point (and beyond) that you are held in contempt of court for failing to follow a direction.

But others won't have your fortitude.

This government needs a wake up call, DV, otherwise they'll go the same way as the last 3 administrations. It's up to the citizens to keep them in check.
    I'm sure you wouldn't disagree with me there.

• Advertisement

Gerry is going off matrix to avoid the tax. Admirable determination.
    Only if I have to, the price of diesel is going up too....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement