Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    He seems to be saying that their working with the Data Protection commissioner, and that is going well, but if there are issues, then they're willing to introduce additional legislation.

He is certainly not for turning - that much is clear.

I couldn't care less if he writes to me personally or calls to my home in person. I am not paying. It is an unjust tax put on a citizen's home by a shower of European lick asses wanting to look good in front of Angela.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Doesn't even BEGIN to compare. That tax is a given.

Sorry to break bad news mate. So is this one.

And you seem to have no problem with people who were provided with houses by the state being exempt. Your "logic" truly defies belief.

They don't own them. Same story with the car owning citizens. You do get the whole logic thing, yeah?

I am not paying. It is an unjust tax put on a citizen's home by a shower of European lick asses wanting to look good in front of Angela.

Again with the 'unjust' stuff. Care to articulate why this specific tax is unjust? No waffle about the IMF or ECB, or negative equity (or castles for that matter) - just some actual directed arguments?

alastair wrote: »
    Again with the 'unjust' stuff. Care to articulate why this specific tax is unjust? No waffle about the IMF or ECB, or negative equity (or castles for that matter) - just some actual directed arguments?

Sure didn't your master even say it

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

A home is the last thing they should be touching. What next ? Child Tax ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Again with the 'unjust' stuff. Care to articulate why this specific tax is unjust?

1. Ground rent on a persons shelter, on top of mortgage and estate maintenance fees.
    2. Ryan Tubridy paying the same as Padraig Nally.

Sure didn't your master even say it

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home" - Enda Kenny, 1994

A home is the last thing they should be touching. What next ? Child Tax ?

So, neither you nor Enda can actually point to a quantifiable problem with property tax? Fair enough. Talk of 'castles' isn't really going to cut it, and last I looked, no-one was advocating child tax.

mikom wrote: »
    1. Ground rent on a persons shelter, on top of mortgage and estate maintenance fees.

1. You think motor tax on top of credit union / car loan payments is unjust? Many homeowners pay neither mortgage nor estate fees btw.

2. Haven't you heard the tiered system, with proper rates is what we're getting after the registration year?

So, neither you nor Enda can actually point to a quantifiable problem with property tax? Fair enough. Talk of 'castles' isn't really going to cut it, and last I looked, no-one was advocating child tax.

I wonder has Enda expressed his true feelings to Angela on this tax ? Would be interesting if she was made aware of his previous statement. She might break it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I cant decide whether to register or not. I can pay the 100 euros all right at the moment but im not so confident that i can pay 500 or 1000 euros in years to come. I have no wages coming in and am not recieving any social welfare due to a redundancy payment putting me above means test limits.
    Also I know many people , family and friends who definetly cant afford to pay any more, they have no more disposable income to give this goverment and i feel that registering and paying would be a selfish thing for me to do.
    Why does the government not understand that many of it,s citizens are on the borderline of poverty right now. Why does Phil Hogan insist that he will take it off you regardless of whether you can afford it or not.

• Advertisement

I wonder has Enda expressed his true feelings to Angela on this tax ? Would be interesting if she was made aware of his previous statement. She might break it off.

You believed FG promises and statements ahead of the election? I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.

jonnygee wrote: »
    I cant decide whether to register or not. I can pay the 100 euros all right at the moment but im not so confident that i can pay 500 or 1000 euros in years to come. I have no wages coming in and am not recieving any social welfare due to a redundancy payment putting me above means test limits.
    Also I know many people , family and friends who definetly cant afford to pay any more, they have no more disposable income to give this goverment and i feel that registering and paying would be a selfish thing for me to do.
    Why does the government not understand that many of it,s citizens are on the borderline of poverty right now. Why does Phil Hogan insist that he will take it off you regardless of whether you can afford it or not.

They have to please the Germans and look after their rich gambling friends as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The interesting thing is that if the Govermnent reduced the CS/PS wages by just €10 for each one, it would bring in €152m per year. Imagine. The ones causing the deficit actually paying for it.

Then do the same with SW. And so it goes on..

This is very basic math and household budgeting. A child in 1st class could manage this. But our "Government"? No.

what makes you think that this scenario won't happen as well?

1. You think motor tax on top of credit union / car loan payments is unjust? Many homeowners pay neither mortgage nor estate fees btw.

Senario:
    A family of 5 can't afford motor tax.......... they get rid of the car

A family of 5 can't afford property tax.......... what again.....

Haven't you heard the tiered system, with proper rates is what we're getting after the registration year?

You'll be waitin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »
    Back to playing obtuse again. And you crying about people selectively quoting you.
    You haven't been paying attention... (people were complaining about me doing the selective quoting, not the other way around)
    Slick50 wrote: »
    How about responding to the bit highlighted in bold, seeing as you won't post a link, like you so often seek from others.
    ...even to the national news.

You believed FG promises and statements ahead of the election? I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.

I am going to have Enda's quote translated to German and put on a big banner for the protest just in the hope that it embarrasses him. Could i have a couple of planks out of your bridge to nail it to ?

jonnygee wrote: »

Higher taxes are going to be a reality here. If it didn't include a property tax component, it would come out of your pocket elsewhere. The tiered system of property taxes will (if every other property tax model provides some guidance), allowances for ability to pay, so if you're genuinely broke, it shouldn't be a concern. Of course there's no knowing what sort of mess could be made of it (or any other taxation arrangement they might drum up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mikom, you're outdoing yourself:pac::pac:

Senario:

Well, two possibilities there my friend - firstly most property tax systems (not 100 euro registration arrangements) make some allowance for ability to pay, so family of five fill in the appropriate exemption forms, and secondly - there's always renting. A four bedroom house would pay for a lot of rental years.

Higher taxes are going to be a reality here. If it didn't include a property tax component, it would come out of your pocket elsewhere.

Cool.
    Just hands off the family home.

Well, two possibilities there my friend

First off, you can shove the "my friend" stuff up your hole.

most property tax systems (not 100 euro registration arrangements) make some allowance for ability to pay, so family of five fill in the appropriate exemption forms,

You'll be waitin'

and secondly - there's always renting. A four bedroom house would pay for a lot of rental years.

Remind me again how you go about that on a mortgaged house in the current property market.

• Advertisement

You'll be waitin'

You think that this whole thing is about pulling as little revenue as possible? There's all that stamp duty to make up for - they need a tiered system asap.

Cool.
    Just hands off the family home.

The govt doesn't have any insterest in taking your family home. They want your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Senario:

'

Option 1: Let the charge build up and hope their circumstances improve in the future to allow them discharge the debt.

Option 2: set up a system whereby people who are in the circumstances you describe, can apply for a waiver.

You think that this whole thing is about pulling as little revenue as possible? There's all that stamp duty to make up for - they need a tiered system asap.

lol, you''ll be waitin'........ or else it will be a shambles.
    Have you seen how well they are managing the registration system.
    It's like an episode of "Some mothers do 'ave 'em"

"Ohhh Betty"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The govt doesn't have any insterest in taking your family home. They want your money.

...And where do they then like to spent it also? HUH?

* http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/374/img741.jpg

* http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3071/img742c.jpg

Right!!!

Nice to have a credit card in your pocket that has allows you to spend €15,000 a month - and the people will pay it for you!
    ...And he's NOT on his own remember. How many in the government and state departments have this perk and to what level?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Carlsberg dosen't do household charges...

but if they did they'd be PROBABLY the best PAYERS IN THE WORLD.

:)

Just don't pay it...shut your door...don't answer it unless
    you know who's calling (and the same for the 'phone)...

IGNORE THEM.

They'll soon go away. ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...They'll soon go away. ;):)
    No, they won't.
    They will now invade your very privacy - possibly home via the bills that come through your door from your ESB and other home bills!

More taking the piss out of the public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Option 1: Let the charge build up and hope their circumstances improve in the future to allow them discharge the debt.
    Would that not be breaking the law that the yes side hold so dear? When it suits them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Biggins wrote: »
    No, they won't.
    They will now invade your very privacy - possibly home via the bills that come through your door from your ESB and other home bills!

More taking the piss out of the public!

It absolutely is taking the piss out of the public. Its astonishing that there are people on this thread that dont see that.

It further shows how seperated the likes of hogan is from the average person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I have a bridge you might be interested in buying.

will ye be putting a tax on it if i buy it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement