Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So the services are not €10 a month, you said we can get our services for €10 a month a couple of posts back. #4849

You're not paying so its free for you.(illegally that is). Less than a tenner a month is a tuppence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gurramok wrote: »
    You're not paying so its free for you.(illegally that is). Less than a tenner a month is a tuppence.

How is it illegally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mconigol wrote: »
    They are arguments for a general property tax. Not valid arguments for the justification of this specific charge.
    This specific charge is a precursor for a property tax - the reason we have this charge now and haven't gone straight to a property tax have been well aired.

How is it illegally?

You have to ask? Its the law of the land as laid down by our Dail, a law that was passed by our democratic reps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Less than a tenner a month is a tuppence.

It really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I think the Pro Tax crowd are absolutely hysterical. Did you not see the baldy lad on the news the other night threatening all sorts of things he has NO power to carry out. I had a great laugh at him.

Councillors going DOOR TO DOOR in Waterford asking people to sign up.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You have to ask? Its the law of the land as laid down by our Dail, a law that was passed by our democratic reps..

Like suicide or man on man lovemaking being a criminal offence a few years back..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

seamus wrote: »
    1. The state needs money to pay for everyday costs

Another pearl of wisdom, jeez, I'm convinced now.
    2. Property taxes are one of the most stable forms of income you can have, i.e. they do not vary with the strength of the economy

Of course they do, people can't pay what they don't have.
    It's got nothing to do with the ability to pay. If you live in your property, then I don't see the problem.

Which is exactly what makes it inequitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

F**K the lot of them. You'd swear half the people posting here are actually TD's themselves within FG promoting the Tax.

Idiots - the bankers, Sean Fitzpatrick / Bertie can pay my house tax charge.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Like suicide or man on man lovemaking being a criminal offence a few years back..........

Nope, very poor comparison. The charge mandated by the people who elected FG\Lab\FF\(most others bar the far left) as it was part of the IMF bailout. Same for water charges on the way, ignorance of current affairs is no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Don't forget Martin Luther King either - he's always a good one to mention. Tireless anti-property tax campaigner that he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You might need a lot more straw to build that man.
    Slick50 wrote: »
    Another pearl of wisdom, jeez, I'm convinced now.
    The anti-campaigners seem to have missed it though, a simple fact of economics. It's nothing to do with bankers or bondholders. The State needs money. How else do you propose it gets it?
    Of course they do, people can't pay what they don't have.
    Again, a fundamental misunderstanding of the real world. Stable taxes are stable because they can be predicted in advance. Even if some people have difficulty meeting the tax, the majority will pay it. Unstable taxes can't be predicted in advance because people will do their best to avoid paying it, even when they can afford it.
    Which is exactly what makes it inequitable.
    I have no problem with inequitable taxes at the moment. We are massively top-heavy at the moment, lower earners do not pay enough tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Whats all this rumour i'm hearing about a household charge?

Less than a tenner a month for your services, that's a bargain you should grab right now!

But its not. We pay lots of other taxes. €50 euro from a back pocket or front pocket has equal value. So any tax paid is toward the state.
    Do you expect to get your services for free? Freeloading is not nice.
    Were you free loading up until now?
    You're not paying so its free for you.(illegally that is).

If you can point out anyone in the country who has broken a tax property law, that would be good.

I've heard this also been reported on Newstalk.
    No doubt the usual suspects will be on telling us that this is just government propaganda designed to scare people into submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

25% increase on 12% is hardly a surge. More propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dvpower wrote: »
    [/URL]
    I've heard this also been reported on Newstalk.
    No doubt the usual suspects will be on telling us that this is just government propaganda designed to scare people into submission.
    Or I love the comments on Breakingnews; "Sure 25% is really only 3% more people paying. That's not a surge. Don't believe the propaganda!". Of course I would expect this level of mathematical genius from the kind of people who oppose being taxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Im expected to pay this charge.

But TDs can break rules on purpose,use 50k in ink,give 37k salary increases to advisors,run up massive dail bar drinks bills and so on.

Im not paying,and it will cost the goverment more money to chase me down and make me pay.And even then I still wouldnt pay.

MY esb bill states that no information will be used,only for the purpose of the leccy bill.#

So if the goverment try this tactic,they will breaking both my european civil and human rights,and I will have them up in court on this matter.

The leaflet thing is a shambles too.

My case in court will be that I never recieved a bill/invoice to pay the tax,I never recieved a leaflet informing me on the various ways to pay.

Therefore Im not legally oblidged to pay it,as I knew nothing about it.

Oh and Vincent Brown tore that Fine Gael minister a new ar5ehole last night.

She was well and truely put in her place.

But its not. We pay lots of other taxes. €50 euro from a back pocket or front pocket has equal value. So any tax paid is toward the state.

Were you free loading up until now?

If you can point out anyone in the country who has broken a tax property law, that would be good.

They will after March 31st. Why oppose the law as decided by your democratically elected Dail?

Do you wish to see a dictator in power to dictate your needs? You shouldn't as we have a democracy which reflects the will of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

paddy147 wrote: »

But TDs can break rules on purpose,use 50k in ink,gibe 37k salary increases to advisors,run up massive dail bar drinks bills and so on.

Im not paying,and it will cost the goverment more money to chase me downa and make me pay.

The leaflet thing is a shambles too.

My case in court will be that I never recieved a bill/invoice to pay the tax,I never recieved a leaflet informing me on the various ways to pay.

Therefore Im not legally oblidged to pay it,as I knew nothing about it.

Good thinking Perry Mason - doubt you'll have your day in court, just a large bill for you or your heirs to discharge in the future.

paddy147 wrote: »

But TDs can break rules on purpose,use 50k in ink,give 37k salary increases to advisors,run up massive dail bar drinks bills and so on.

Aengus O Snodaigh won't be paying the household charge either, so you're in good company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I just got a cheque from the postman for 1000 euro . It was tax back . I dont see what all the fuss is about . The taxman is cool as far as Im concerned.

dvpower wrote: »
    [/URL]
    As if by magic:
    25% increase on 12% is hardly a surge. More propaganda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

They will after March 31st. Why oppose the law as decided by your democratically elected Dail?

Do you wish to see a dictator in power to dictate your needs? You shouldn't as we have a democracy which reflects the will of the government.

Fixed that for ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Or I love the comments on Breakingnews; "Sure 25% is really only 3% more people paying. That's not a surge. Don't believe the propaganda!". Of course I would expect this level of mathematical genius from the kind of people who oppose being taxed.

Well 3% isn't a surge.

They will after March 31st.
    I was a law abiding citizen yesterday you said. Now im a future criminal.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya :rolleyes:

A true intellectual you are, Stiffler2.

mconigol wrote: »
    Well 3% isn't a surge.

Id be surprised myself if there was not a fairly big surge in the last few days though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Councillors going DOOR TO DOOR in Waterford asking people to sign up.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Freddie which councilers are they and what part of waterford are they going door to door?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement