Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

zerks wrote: »
    You must scare easily,you're the type of person this shower in government love.Wait 'til next year when they want 3 or 4 times the amount you just payed.

And they will. And you'll still have to pay it then too. This isn't going away, all the hot air in the world won't stop this from becoming a reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    So you're advocating sending defaced documents to Phil Hogan's private home address?

Why is that you want to target his home address rather than his Department address or constituency office? Intimidation?

Well, in fairness, he's sending them to our home addresses isnt he?

Good for the goose and all that lark. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why is that you want to target his home address rather than his Department address or constituency office? Intimidation?

Nah, exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And they will. And you'll still have to pay it then too. This isn't going away, all the hot air in the world won't stop this from becoming a reality.

But the huge majority that won't pay it will stop it from becoming a reality.I'd say many wouldn't mind paying it if it was capped at €100 and the money was actually going to be reinvested in the community instead of being siphoned off to pay bondholders and pensions.

Don't let the leaflets and promises from the government fool you,not one cent of this will be used to improve our lives & communities.

Aquila wrote: »
    I wonder will this eventually morph into an Irish version of council tax?

As far as I understand it, that is the plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

Yes, this is going to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So you're advocating sending defaced documents to Phil Hogan's private home address?

Well. The leaflets are coming to our homes, so they should be sent to his. Returning junk to the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Household charge? I've received no bill for it, first I've heard of it, how can I be penalised for not paying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Aquila wrote: »
    I wonder will this eventually morph into an Irish version of council tax?

Definitely - it is being planned at the moment and will be in place by 2014 at the latest. The annual property tax is expected to be at least €560 for a house worth €150k - €300k - and it could be as much as €1125 for house worth 300k to 450k.

More details http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-how-much-will-it-be.html

But the huge majority that won't pay it will stop it from becoming a reality.I'd say many wouldn't mind paying it if it was capped at €100 and the money was actually going to be reinvested in the community instead of being siphoned off to pay bondholders and pensions.

Don't let the leaflets and promises from the government fool you,not one cent of this will be used to improve our lives & communities.

Sure I know all of that. It's a tax, plain and simple. They won't be funneling one cent of it back into local services. It will be going towards the shortfall to keep the country running on a daily basis/pay off our massive debts.

And I really doubt that a 'huge majority' won't pay it. All the TDs etc who were making noise have gone very quiet about this lately, do you not think they are slowly giving up any pretence of protest?

• Advertisement

Take heed all of you considering paying this unjust tax....... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/huge-hike-in-road-tax-as-motor-cash-dries-up-3039261.html
    Those who bought low carbon cars thought they were going to be ok as well
    The only way is up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, he's sending them to our home addresses isnt he?
    No, he isn't.
    This isn't personal correspondence from Phil Hogan. This is being issued by either the Department or by local authorities. That's where it should be returned to. If people want to make a protest to the Minister, they should write to his official address, not his personal home address.

But the huge majority that won't pay it will stop it from becoming a reality.
    Recent polling figures indicate that a majority will pay it.

If it isn't defeated, will the people who have said they aren't going to pay it fall into line?

Recent polling figures indicate that a majority will pay it.

The only real poll is the number registered so far.
    that make heartening reading.
    If it isn't defeated, will the people who have said they aren't going to pay it fall into line?

Judging by the meetings I have been to, no.
    Many stood up took the mic and said they would be prepared to go to prison.
    One lad said he wants to be the first jailed on the issue, so that he can write a book on the subject.

mikom wrote: »
    One lad said he wants to be the first jailed on the issue, so that he can write a book on the subject.
    He might be entitled to artist's exemption on that.

mikom wrote: »

Well, it's great to know that his decision not to pay this charge is being made for all the right reasons then.

Doesn't sound like a very interesting book either.

Well, it's great to know that his decision not to pay this charge is being made for all the right reasons then.

Doesn't sound like a very interesting book either.

Well he'll be able to take an tax-payer funded open university course on creative writing from the comfort of his household tax free cell, so I reckon it will be quite an interesting read.
    This course takes a student-centred approach to creative writing, offering a range of strategies to help you develop as a writer. The emphasis is highly practical, with exercises and activities designed to ignite and sustain the writing impulse. The five-part course starts by showing ways of using your memory and experience and building a daily discipline. This is followed by demonstration and practice of the three most popular forms – writing fiction, writing poetry, and life writing (biography and autobiography). The concluding part aims to demystify the world of agents and publishers, teaching you how to revise and present your work to a professional standard.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/a215.htm

No, he isn't.
    This isn't personal correspondence from Phil Hogan. This is being issued by either the Department or by local authorities. That's where it should be returned to. If people want to make a protest to the Minister, they should write to his official address, not his personal home address.

Yes, he is. His department is taking orders from him. Hopefully if enough people send the leaflets to his home address, he might start to realise how many are really p****d off with him. Any other junk should be sent to Kenny. He won't be getting my support anymore the spineless, two-faced so and so.

goz83 wrote: »
    He won't be getting my support anymore the spineless, two-faced so and so.
    Ye don't say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ghandee wrote: »
    I dont get this response?

Its €8.33 a month too fcuking much!!!

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

This charge is for us to pay back the BILLIONS squandered by them, robbed by them, and mismanaged by them FFS!

It doesnt matter two fiddlers farts the amount, its just the fact that we have to pay it in the first place!

Oh yeah, its 100 this year (TO BEGIN WITH) what will it be next year if we let them away with slipping it under the door this year?

Civil disobedience is the way forward, lets all stand together, tell FG and the greedy bankers to go fcuk themselves!

Typical response from the 'ah sure it'll be grand brigade'!

Fcuk em, Fcuk the lot of them!

Why did you think it was worth paying X amount for it then and not now? Has the house become smaller or been magically re-located to a less expensive area? Seriously I dont get why people are so worked up about their houses decreasing in value. If you were willing to pay half a million quid a few years ago you obviously believed the house was worth said amount?

• Advertisement

Ye don't say.

As always. A very productive comment with lots of vital information. Having a quick look back over the posts, I am thinking you perhaps need a hobbie. One perhaps that doesn't involve petty attempts of criticism. Or, you could get a job. I suspect that's another thread for you support your bum buddies in the Dail.

As always. A very productive comment with lots of vital information.
    I'm listening...
    Having a quick look back over the posts, I am thinking you perhaps need a hobbie. One perhaps that doesn't involve petty attempts of criticism.
    petty attempts of criticism, you say?
    Or, you could get a job. I suspect that's another thread for you support your bum buddies in the Dail.
    My bum buddies?:eek:

Well that was a waste of good bandwidth.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why did you think it was worth paying X amount for it then and not now? Has the house become smaller or been magically re-located to a less expensive area? Seriously I dont get why people are so worked up about their houses decreasing in value. If you were willing to pay half a million quid a few years ago you obviously believed the house was worth said amount?

If your property (assuming you have one) is in negative equity, ignore the rest of this post.

Mate, you either don't have a clue, or are just trying to stir the s**t. The poster you responded to didn't have to have the house morphed to a cheaper location. The value dropped by location and therefore the value of the house too dropped. If someone buys a home for say 400k and over a 15 year period they pay lets say half. If the value drops to 200k, so what! That person can still trade in for a different home. However, If some in the past 5 years paid this amount, they are stuck and that's assuming they can pay the mortgage if they still have a job. That means no way to grow your family if you're stuck in a 1, or 2 bed apartment and no real chance of getting anywhere for a couple of decades.

By nature, we go with the flow and the flow was telling hundred and thousands of people to "buy now, or you never will afford a home". The banks certainly made it easy to borrow massive sums. And this household charge is just another step too far for so may people.

I'm listening...

petty attempts of criticism, you say?

It's quite noticeable that you avoid areas you've been caught out, or areas you don't feel comfortable with. So, get a job and build up that low self esteem. Maybe then you won't feel the need to be a nuisance here. If it helps you out, I can tell you that your comments are causing me to lose sleep, that I am rattling with the nerves you've been causing me and others, that the doctor is on the way now before I tie that knot. Would it help you if I told you that? I can help you. I really can. But you must want to be helped.:rolleyes:

The number of posts to time registered is really not a give away either. You're averaging more than 5 per day as a regular loser user.

That's what she said............... ZING.

*backs away slowly*

Edit: Well that was poor post positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Why did you think it was worth paying X amount for it then and not now?

Have you ever heard of a thing called market value? Houses were changing hands for that kind of money because if you didn't pay it someone else would.
    So if you wanted it that is what you had to pay. And all this money was being provided by banks, who in turn were over extending themselves.
    Many people held out for years believing prices would come back down, but when they seen them continuing to climb, they took the jump. Paying even more, for having held out.
    Has the house become smaller or been magically re-located to a less expensive area?

Not very likely.
    Seriously I dont get why people are so worked up about their houses decreasing in value. If you were willing to pay half a million quid a few years ago you obviously believed the house was worth said amount?

Because they have very little prospect of being able to sell, or move up the property ladder, to a larger or better house that would cost less than they paid for the one they are in. It's called the "property trap".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If your property (assuming you have one) is in negative equity, ignore the rest of this post.

Mate, you either don't have a clue, or are just trying to stir the s**t. The poster you responded to didn't have to have the house morphed to a cheaper location. The value dropped by location and therefore the value of the house too dropped. If someone buys a home for say 400k and over a 15 year period they pay lets say half. If the value drops to 200k, so what! That person can still trade in for a different home. However, If some in the past 5 years paid this amount, they are stuck and that's assuming they can pay the mortgage if they still have a job. That means no way to grow your family if you're stuck in a 1, or 2 bed apartment and no real chance of getting anywhere for a couple of decades.

By nature, we go with the flow and the flow was telling hundred and thousands of people to "buy now, or you never will afford a home". The banks certainly made it easy to borrow massive sums. And this household charge is just another step too far for so may people.

They could be entitled to Mortgage Interest Supplement and by extension not be liable for the Household Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

It's quite noticeable that you avoid areas you've been caught out, or areas you don't feel comfortable with. So, get a job and build up that low self esteem. Maybe then you won't feel the need to be a nuisance here. If it helps you out, I can tell you that your comments are causing me to lose sleep, that I am rattling with the nerves you've been causing me and others, that the doctor is on the way now before I tie that knot. Would it help you if I told you that? I can help you. I really can. But you must want to be helped.:rolleyes:

The number of posts to time registered is really not a give away either. You're averaging more than 5 per day as a regular loser user.

Just ignore their posts. The same thing happened BishopDonal earlier. Where is he now? These state pawns eventually run out of steam when they realise that the real world finally holds sway. I figure Dvpower and Dxhound are one and the same person anyway. I have been copying and pasting all their posts so that, come the end of the month, I shall see them eat humble pie!! Dont Register, Dont Pay, Dont be a bloody Sheep!!

• Advertisement

greenpilot wrote: »
    I have been copying and pasting all their posts so that, come the end of the month, I shall see them eat humble pie!!
    Good on ya. That'll put us in our place:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement