Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

IMF did not appear on the ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Slick50 wrote: »

It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home!

Yup, Enda said that not so long ago. And he had to know people would pick up on that line when he announced the charge. Pretty embarrassing for him wouldn't you say? Therefore don't you think he would have avoided it if he possibly could have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yup, Enda said that not so long ago. And he had to know people would pick up on that line when he announced the charge. Pretty embarrassing for him wouldn't you say? Therefore don't you think he would have avoided it if he possibly could have?

That embarrassment is a very small sacrafice, for the wages and pension for life he will recieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Ok, so where are all these better ideas that will get us out of the hole we're in without an ounce of pain for anyone?

A refusal to pay the promissory notes on anglo, after all it is just an IOU from OUR government to OUR central bank.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Post 3162, re; corporation tax.

if you really think it's the answer to all of our problems might I suggest you contact your TD, start a campaign etc and get your idea out there. If it's as good as you think it is I'm sure you'll get massive support

• Advertisement

if you really think it's the answer to ask of our problems might I suggest you contact your TD, start a campaign etc and get your idea out there. If it's as good as you think it is I'm sure you'll get massive support

Where`s your solutions?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Your a few years too late asking that one regarding the pain bit.

That's the thing though isn't it? Just about every suggestion to fix the crisis that I've heard is about start we should have done. Unfortunately time machines don't exist so we're left in a situation where our country has to get its finances in order and that unfortunately involves austerity

A refusal to pay the promissory notes on anglo, after all it is just an IOU from OUR government to OUR central bank.

So why do you think they didn't do that?

if you really think it's the answer to ask of our problems might I suggest you contact your TD, start a campaign etc and get your idea out there. If it's as good as you think it is I'm sure you'll get massive support
    I have contacted my local TD about this and the household charge. He lives about 300 meters from me.
    He is a labour backbencher and whilst he agrees with me he says there's not a lot he can do.
    The idea about corporation tax is out there only enda & co. are too scared to even contemplate doing it.

That embarrassment is a very small sacrafice, for the wages and pension for life he will recieve.

Now that's just silly. The household charge will only have a negative effect on his re-election chances. So he's being embarrassed and at the same time negatively affecting his his future wage and pension prospects

• Advertisement

That's the thing though isn't it? Just about every suggestion to fix the crisis that I've heard is about start we should have done. Unfortunately time machines don't exist so we're left in a situation where our country has to get its finances in order and that unfortunately involves austerity

Well then, tell us your suggestions, or you`l have donal in saying you wont answer. And il thank his post then.

So why do you think they didn't do that?

Why do you think they don't do that??

Well then, tell us your suggestions, or you`l have donal in saying you wont answer. And il thank his post then.

Again, my point is that there are no easy answers that the government are just ignoring for no apparent reason

I think there may have been a PM or two there....donal is having a night off.
    Why do YOU think that is??:D

Why do you think they don't do that??

Because the people who are currently keeping our country afloat wouldn't let them, or any other government that happened to be in charge

Now that's just silly. The household charge will only have a negative effect on his re-election chances. So he's being embarrassed and at the same time negatively affecting his his future wage and pension prospects

Not silly at all, his salary and pension will be wildly above almost all the workers in this country, no matter what he does now.

Because the people who are currently keeping our country afloat wouldn't let them, or any other government that happened to be in charge

Not true.
    In order to scrap the promissory notes they just need the backing of two thirds of governments in the eurozone.

I think there may have been a PM or two there....donal is having a night off.
    Why do YOU think that is??:D

Not being able to say "credibility" or "insult me" left feck all else to say, or could it be a rebadge or relation?

Not being able to say "credibility" or "insult me" left feck all else to say, or could it be a rebadge or relation?
    Sounds like he's stoned...

Not silly at all, his salary and pension will be wildly above almost all the workers in this country, no matter what he does now.

That's not in dispute but you said that the embarrassment was a "sacrifice" for his wages and pension. Now you're saying that his pay is irrelevant because it'll be high regardless. Which is it?

• Advertisement

Not true.
    In order to scrap the promissory notes they just need the backing of two thirds of governments in the eurozone.

Do they have that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Not true.
    As easy as that?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Again, my point is that there are no easy answers that the government are just ignoring for no apparent reason

There's several hard options the government are not taking. Putting it up to unsecured bondholders, putting it up to PS unions, putting it up to NAMA chiefs, etc.........

They're having a go at a soft target and hoping to get away with it by introducing this property tax. They won't. EU/IMF couldn't care where the money comes from once it gets paid back.

Do they have that?
    dvpower wrote: »
    As easy as that?:rolleyes:

Listen lads, go and pay your household tax.
    You both really add nothing to this thread.
    Any suggestion as to having a different view is mocked or replied to with a smart arsed answer.
    I really don't know why you bother yourselves by coming on here.
    Why do YOU think that is Sam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

squod wrote: »
    There's several hard options the government are not taking. Putting it up to unsecured bondholders, putting it up to PS unions, putting it up to NAMA chiefs, etc.........
    Not paying bondholders has been ruled out by the trioka.
    Further paycuts in the PS would save money, but would probably be even more politically damaging.
    I don't understand how 'putting it up to NAMA chiefs' raises anything?
    EU/IMF couldn't care where the money come from once it gets paid back.
    They do. A property tax is in the MOU.

That's not in dispute but you said that the embarrassment was a "sacrifice" for his wages and pension. Now you're saying that his part is irrelevant because it'll be high regardless. Which is it?

But you brought up the embarrassment scenario, not me.

They're having a go at a soft target and hoping to get away with it by introducing this property tax. They won't. EU/IMF couldn't care where the money come from once it gets paid back.

Putting it up to bondholders is something the EU are very much against. And if they didn't care how they got the money back I wouldn't think they would have made a property tax a binding part of the agreement

As for putting it up to PS unions, why do you think they haven't done that yet?

Cue the "are you now saying that we should pay the household charge, gerry?"
    smart arsed reply......

Any suggestion as to having a different view is mocked or replied to with a smart arsed answer.

Sam hire of dvpower perhaps?

• Advertisement

I don't own a house. My wages aren't nearly high enough to have one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement