Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Any suggestion as to having a different view is mocked or replied to with a smart arsed answer.

Pot, meet kettle.
    Sounds like he's stoned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't own a house. My wages aren't nearly high enough to have one

And this is in reference to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    Pot, meet kettle.
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

robbie7730 wrote: »
    But you brought up the embarrassment scenario, not me.

The fact that I brought it up doesn't make your response to it make any more sense, that he made a sacrifice so that he'd have something that he would have had anyway

I don't own a house. My wages aren't nearly high enough to have one
    Why do you think that is Sam?

• Advertisement

He told me to go pay my household tax

Why do you think that is Sam?

Because my company has had pay cuts and freezes since I joined

Here Rob, I need a drink.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Yup, Enda said that not so long ago. And he had to know people would pick up on that line when he announced the charge. Pretty embarrassing for him wouldn't you say? Therefore don't you think he would have avoided it if he possibly could have?

Of course he could, but he seems to have figured it would be a handy way of rummaging up a few bob, and then give us a proper shafting later.

"Sometimes" they get it wrong...

"I admit that we got it wrong," said Mr Quinn. "You get it wrong sometimes, we make mistakes and I accept we got it wrong."

"All government decisions are open to review" Enda Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Not paying bondholders has been ruled out by the trioka.

I didn't vote troika in the last election.
    Further paycuts in the PS would save money, but would probably be even more politically damaging.

Putting their political careers ahead of the needs of the nation? Fuhk 'em.

They do. A property tax is in the MOU.

.and it's not gonna happen. It will have to be negotiated on that basis.

• Advertisement

Anyway, off to bed now so no more replies. Toodles...

Thank **** for that.......

And a final question Sam,
    What's your favourite humming sound?
    Mines, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

squod wrote: »
    I didn't vote troika in the last election.
    Nobody voted for the trioka, but the majority of voters voted for parties who stood on a platform of implementing the MOU.

Perhaps you didn't vote for one of those parties; that being the case, you're side lost. Now you need to suck it up and accept the democratic wishes of the people.

Thank **** for that.......

Sorry what was that about smart arsed answers?

I'm really gone now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

.... accept the democratic wishes of the people.

90+% of the people haven't registered and (it looks like) will not register. That's democracy in action.

My blood is boiling. I'm off.

Sorry what was that about smart arsed answers?

I'm really gone now :p

Only messing!
    It's a bit of banter...

squod wrote: »
    90+% of the people haven't registered and (it looks like) will not register. That's democracy in action.
    Sure it is; if tax evasion/civil disobedience trumps a democratic election as an expression of democracy in action.

Sure it is; if tax evasion/civil disobedience trumps a democratic election as an expression of democracy in action.
    Yaaaawwwwwnnnnn, time for bed!

Here Rob, I need a drink.......

So do i, bloody pc froze, and i couldnt find a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have reached a turning point with this country lately. I really have. Injustice is rife and there is a growing rift between the amount of rich and poor in this country and from reading these threads there seems to be no sense of empathy towards fellow man. People dont seem to care that people are paid obscene amounts in this country and many people in abject poverty are being crucified. Suicide has gone up 13% last year and its no surprise why. Some of the lack of empathy in this country sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bagsmcg

what household charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Not paying bondholders has been ruled out by the trioka.
    Further paycuts in the PS would save money, but would probably be even more politically damaging.
    The public service pay cuts will happen in a year or two anyway : better make them now so they will not be as severe.
    I'm not paying property tax seeing as I paid a fortune in stamp duty already on my house, and seeing as public service pay + pensions , social welfare etc south of the border is double what it is north of the border / in the UK.

The fact that I brought it up doesn't make your response to it make any more sense, that he made a sacrifice so that he'd have something that he would have had anyway

He took the job, knowing there will be awkward and embarrassing times. Why? Because they are small prices to pay (sacrafices) [insert equivelant word here] for a life of likely financial security. It was likely not because he thought he would save Ireland from the abyss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Only messing!
    It's a bit of banter...

I miss the proper invective from our friend The Quadratic Equation. Like this:

Paying the charge, bending over, and sticking your cowardly head in the sand, while leaving your compliant servile ass in the air for riding at will by the corrupt golden circle, is far from a worthy principle.

He seems to have disappeared this last few days, maybe he is away on a pilgrimage somewhere.

gigino wrote: »
    The public service pay cuts will happen in a year or two anyway : better make them now so they will not be as severe.
    PS pay may well be cut again (or at least increments frozen) but, unfortunately, we need PS cuts and the property tax.

We're committed to taking another (I think) 3bn from the economy next year and a further 3bn the year after, so there will have to be further cuts and tax rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

PS pay may well be cut again (or at least increments frozen) but, unfortunately, we need PS cuts and the property tax.

We're committed to taking another (I think) 3bn from the economy next year and a further 3bn the year after, so there will have to be further cuts and tax rises.

The property tax will raise f**k all, and dampen spending even more. Even is 500,000 houses pay 100, thats only 50,000,000. On the other hand the government is giving €600,000,000 in tax free lump sum gratuities to public servants retiring this month. Fifty million versus 600 million.

At least you will know where your 100 euro goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Because my company has had pay cuts and freezes since I joined
    sounds like you're a jinx so. Pottler for one won't be paying. I pay a sh1tload of tax, a shedload of prsi, I pay eight peoples wages in an industry thats fecked and all the tax, Vat and prsi that goes with that responcibility, but on this one, they can go and sh1te.
    Won't pay, no way. Well I might, but it's gonna be at the last minute, just before they start to waterboard me, and waay after they start with the electric shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The property tax will raise f**k all, and dampen spending even more. Even is 500,000 houses pay 100, thats only 50,000,000. On the other hand the government is giving €600,000,000 in tax free lump sum gratuities to public servants retiring this month. Fifty million versus 600 million.

At least you will know where your 100 euro goes.

Is that why you go from thread to thread ? To slate the P.S ?. Every thread you go on you have the same agenda. I can see one of the P.S. posters finding out where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Civil disobedience is a legitimate way of registering your disagreement with what you regard as an unjust or amoral law. If enough people are willing to partake, then it is representative of the will of the people. This is as democratic as you can get, even more so than a coalition government, where each party blames the other for their decisions.

• Advertisement

The property tax will raise f**k all, and dampen spending even more.
    Dampening spending - that's bad. :mad:
    On the other hand the government is giving €600,000,000 in tax free lump sum gratuities to public servants retiring this month.
    Government to the rescue. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement