Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Did you actually watch the post race show on Sky?

No,
    Only what I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It was already slipped, although not 100% confirmed
    Esteban Gutierrez

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-sauber-announce-new-driver-brazil-111631806.html

Might have been interesting to see a more experienced driver in their

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    No,
    Only what I have read.

His analysis is quite fantastic, he is a great contributor to the coverage that sky have. You should give him a chance with it.

Did you actually watch the post race show on Sky?
    He's not always right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It was already slipped, although not 100% confirmed
    Esteban Gutierrez

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-sauber-announce-new-driver-brazil-111631806.html

Yeah just been confirmed that it was Gutiérrez

• Registered Users Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Charles Pic off to Caterham. Didn't expect that.

So Kovalainen or Petrov will have to make way him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Kovalainen should get down on his hands and knees and beg Mallya for a drive at Force India next year. Caterham don't look they are going to move up the grid anytime soon.

Maybe the new team principal will improve things at Caterham but we won't see that till 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

recyclebin wrote: »
    Maybe the new team principal will improve things at Caterham but we won't see that till 2014.

Plus thats when the new engines come in isn't it? God knows how that will shake things up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Kovalainen should get down on his hands and knees and beg Mallya for a drive at Force India next year. Caterham don't look they are going to move up the grid anytime soon.

Well they did boot Gascoyne out of the F1 team earlier this year and Mark Smith is now in charge of the techincal side. They also signed up McLaren's aerodynamicist (they must be giving him serious $$$ to make that move!) so there is hope for next year.

Losing $10m in prize money will be a big set back, but most will be made back dumping Heikki and signing GvdG with a little sponsors money.

You wonder if Fernandes regrets getting into sports. I can't fathom the money he has spent to have a bottom of the table football team and back of the grid F1 team.

• Advertisement

According to Kovalainen, his chance of getting a seat next year are slim.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Plus thats when the new engines come in isn't it? God knows how that will shake things up

Yeah, new engines are coming in 2014.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    Well they did boot Gascoyne out of the F1 team earlier this year and Mark Smith is now in charge of the techincal side. They also signed up McLaren's aerodynamicist (they must be giving him serious $$$ to make that move!) so there is hope for next year.

Losing $10m in prize money will be a big set back, but most will be made back dumping Heikki and signing GvdG with a little sponsors money.

You wonder if Fernandes regrets getting into sports. I can't fathom the money he has spent to have a bottom of the table football team and back of the grid F1 team.

That's some coup for Caterham by getting their hands on McLarens aerodynamicist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Not sure if its been mentioned but besides Grosjean getting replaced for one round has this been the first season where all drivers on the grid that start the year also compete in all rounds? Every other year I can think of drivers get replaced halfway through due to performance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's rare, but I think it happened a few years ago too.

I'm not really looking forward to next year. Too many good drivers being ditched for rent a drivers. Can't remember it ever being this bad. Add in a season that's too long, rubbish tracks, and nonsense like DRS.

Mind you I'm sure I'll still be watching in March...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Yes I used to lap them quite a lot in Grand Prix 2, I'll never forget them :D

Holy cow that website is older than the Space Jam website. "This site is optimized for Netscape 1.1". Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Amazing that that website is still online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

All the photos seem to be taken down though. Looking at the source HTML it all looks so basic.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yes I used to lap them quite a lot in Grand Prix 2, I'll never forget them :D

Holy cow that website is older than the Space Jam website. "This site is optimized for Netscape 1.1". Brilliant.

I think both Belmondo and Gachot even failed to qualify in the game lol :eek: :D
    Daniel S wrote: »
    Amazing that that website is still online!

Isin't it just. Website is going seventeen years after the team closed it's doors :eek:

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Not sure if its been mentioned but besides Grosjean getting replaced for one round has this been the first season where all drivers on the grid that start the year also compete in all rounds? Every other year I can think of drivers get replaced halfway through due to performance etc.

In 2008, no drivers were replaced during the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Just looking through the predictions thread at the start of the season, makes for funny reading now we are coming to the end.

• Advertisement

Just looking through the predictions thread at the start of the season, makes for funny reading now we are coming to the end.

Got a link handy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got a link handy?

The second sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Just put 20 quid on Alonso to win the title today. I don't want him to win it, and he's the outsider.

20 quid on Vettel yields 23 euro.
    20 quid on Alonso yields 100 euro.

I hope Vettel wins it, but if Alonso does so, I'll be kept placated by winning 100 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

If HRT isn't bought by next week, who wants to pool together some cash and make the Boards.ie Ligier Cosworth F1 Team?

I mean, who doesn't love Ligier? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

ottostreet wrote: »
    Just put 20 quid on Alonso to win the title today. I don't want him to win it, and he's the outsider.

20 quid on Vettel yields 23 euro.
    20 quid on Alonso yields 100 euro.

I hope Vettel wins it, but if Alonso does so, I'll be kept placated by winning 100 quid!

Ha logged into paddy power and won back a free bet. €1 on Alonso so no matter what happens I'm happy:D

This year is the first time an Adrian Newey designed car helped the same driver (Sebastian Vettel) to win the drivers championship three times in a row.

His designs have helped six drivers win championships:

Sebastian Vettel: 2010, 2011, 2012.

Mika Hakkinen: 1998, 1999.

Jacques Villeneuve: 1997.

Damon Hill: 1996.

Alain Prost: 1993.

Nigel Mansell: 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

This year is the first time an Adrian Newey designed car helped the same driver (Sebastian Vettel) to win the drivers championship three times in a row.

His designs have helped six drivers win championships:

Sebastian Vettel: 2010, 2011, 2012.

Mika Hakkinen: 1998, 1999.

Jacques Villeneuve: 1997.

Damon Hill: 1996.

Alain Prost: 1993.

Nigel Mansell: 1992.
    He's worth a few bob for sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All of those cars had either advanced electronics/aerodynamics or something 'outside the box'. Not that I'm defaming Newey. He is a genius in his own right and constantly tries to push the envelope in innovation. A legend of engineering and F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9695835/Formula-One-2012-season-awards.html

Some good polls going on there.

Alonso with 55.41% of the vote for driver of the year, can't say I disagree.

• Advertisement

Advertisement