Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Gah! Would prefer Algesuari

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rascasse wrote: »

Outside of Europe, there's a chance the Interlagos could go, possibly replaced with Mexico. If Mexico does come back I hope its at the old Mexico City track and not a new Tilke abomination. Used to love driving that track on Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix.

Would love to see F1 back at the track in Mexico City. Great track. Best thing about it is the banked Peraltada :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Bernie doesn't care about fans, only money.
    Here is why:

He will when fans become disinterested and it starts effecting his bottom line.
    Also I have to ask why it was necessary to reply to one of my posts with another of my posts, it's not exactly like you were giving me any new info considering I wrote it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Would love to see F1 back at the track in Mexico City. Great track. Best thing about it is the banked Peraltada :D

Me too but not at the expense of Interlagos.

Its probably the second best rack after Spa imo. Even though its short and bumpy it always throws up great races and the weather is never predictably.

Would love to see a GP there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Toro Rosso confirmed Vergne and Ricciardo for 2013 as well today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

frostie500 wrote: »
    Toro Rosso confirmed Vergne and Ricciardo for 2013 as well today

was hoping jaime Alguersuari would get his seat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

was hoping jaime Alguersuari would get his seat back.

He'd hardly go back to that team though, he'd be good in Force India I'd say. Or as a replacement for Narain in HRT (would have two Spanish drivers then).

Daniel S wrote: »
    He'd hardly go back to that team though, he'd be good in Force India I'd say. Or as a replacement for Narain in HRT (would have two Spanish drivers then).

true, i think he has a good chance of getting either seat and that afaik he is a pirelli test driver

• Advertisement

true, i think he has a good chance of getting either seat and that afaik he is a pirelli test driver

He is indeed, so hopefully he won't be too rusty. Deserves a seat in F1 though, he had a great end to his last season.

it was good to have john watsons input on the free practise sessions, very reminiscent of his days as a commentator for eurosport. his big bugbearer was the lack of gravel traps in the run off areas in the abu dhabi track

Tony Fernandes stepping down as team principal of Caterham.

From Autosport:
    Tony Fernandes is to step down as team principal of Caterham before the end of the season so he can focus more on developing his road car business.

The Malaysian entrepreneur had always intended his tenure as F1 team boss to be mid-term, while he worked to find someone suitable to take over from him.

Having just finalised a major tie-up with the Renault group to produce new Alpine sportscars, Fernandes revealed that he and deputy chairman Dato' Kamarudin Meranun have decided that the time is right to appoint a successor.

"On the racing side we have come to the conclusion that it is better if someone else takes over the team principal role to move forward," he said in a joint interview with AUTOSPORT's sister publication Autocar.

"We are definitely better at business than finding tenths of seconds around a lap.

"It was right for us to lead the team initially and set a template of how it should be. That vision is now set and the team is ready to move forward to the midfield."

It is not clear who Fernandes' successor will be, but he revealed it would be someone already working in F1.

"I know who it will be - and can tell you that today as I had confirmation earlier," he said.

"[But] I cannot tell you their name yet. All I can say is that they are from within F1."
    Will it be EJ? :D Bernie Ecclestone? :eek:

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Tony Fernandes stepping down as team principal of Caterham.

From Autosport:

Will it be EJ? :D Bernie Ecclestone? :eek:

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Oh PLEASE PLEASE be Eddie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Schumacher needs a job next year doesn't he :pac:?

Schumacher needs a job next year doesn't he :pac:?

Taken by Mercedes as far as I know for some other job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 El Nacho

Never know might be Adam Parr since he got the boot at William's and he originally was Frank's successor

El Nacho wrote: »
    Never know might be Adam Parr since he got the boot at William's and he originally was Frank's successor

Thought he was still with them?

Im pretty sure it was an ex-Renault (engines) guy mentioned as the likely replacement a couple of months ago when Fernandes announced his plan to step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

El Nacho wrote: »

What happened there anyway. I cant stand Parr but he was the future then suddenly, he was out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Bernie didn't get on with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flavio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jackie Stewart

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tricky to think of anybody inside the sport for the position, really needs to be somebody with a business head on them... Eddie Irvine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

kksaints wrote: »
    Who?! :confused::o

Never heard of him before :o

Top Dog wrote: »
    Who?! :confused::o

Never heard of him before :o

Same here 'til now.

He joined Caterham in September as CEO. He will continue to work at both Caterham and Renault Sport until January 2013 when he leaves Renault.

Its the ex-Renault guy I was talking about the other day. He came into the team as CEO and shortly after Fernandes started talking about plans to step down. Most people expected that Abiteboul was a shoe-in for team principal so no real surprise.

Its the ex-Renault guy I was talking about the other day. He came into the team as CEO and shortly after Fernandes started talking about plans to step down. Most people expected that Abiteboul was a shoe-in for team principal so no real surprise.

Will be interesting to see how he does at Caterham and see how he'll move the team forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FIA mus have nothing better to do:
    FORMULA One drivers have been warned to cut out the swearing after Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen turned the air blue in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

Both the 32-year-old Finn and 25-year-old German used very strong expletives as they summed up their feelings, resulting in the FIA reminding the drivers of their responsibilities when it comes to speaking to the media, particularly when taking part in a live broadcast, as was the case on Sunday.

A friendly letter from the FIA has been issued to all 12 teams' communications directors regarding the use of bad language, for them in turn to address the issue with their drivers.

The letter states it is "very much our collective responsibility to make sure drivers are aware such language has no place during media events".

It adds that it "shines an unwelcome beam of adverse publicity on their teams and sponsors, the sport and FIA".

Motor sport's governing body say they are mindful of the fact that "in the 'heat of battle', adrenaline, elation and disappointment make for a dangerous and heady mix".

The letter adds: "But F1 drivers are not the only ones being interviewed in such conditions: I think of boxers, rugby and football players who are routinely interviewed live on television after a gruelling sporting effort. They manage to avoid inappropriate language."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/leading-formula-one-drivers-warned-to-stop-swearing-3287811.html

oh noes, they said a bad word :rolleyes:

Advertisement