Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crean's lager

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I seriously wonder if what they're doing is legal (assuming that the bottles are brewed outside of Ireland). Can you clearly label something as "Fresh Irish Lager" if it's isn't made in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I seriously wonder if what they're doing is legal (assuming that the bottles are brewed outside of Ireland). Can you clearly label something as "Fresh Irish Lager" if it's isn't made in Ireland?
    Yep. See "Caffrey's Irish Ale", for instance. The law says that if a product is associated with a particular place to the extent that people might think it's actually from there, then the place of origin must be stated. Unfortunately the law also allows "Brewed in the EU" to count for that purpose, even though it's not actually helpful to the consumer. You can also put "Brewed in Denmark and Ireland" on a can of Carlsberg in the full knowledge that none of the beer that will ever be labelled so will be brewed in Denmark.

And I'm pretty sure none of that even applies to draught beer, so if the "Craft Collection" Shandon Stout and Rebel Red that are popping up on bars everywhere are indeed made in the UK, there's no obligation for us to be told about it anywhere, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You can label your beer 'Russian Imperial Stout' when its not made in Russia. Maybe 'Irish Lager' is a brand new style theyve invented :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not a problem if they're upfront about it.

It doesnt say 'Brewed in the UK' on any bottle of Fran Well Ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Has anyone asked them where they brew it?

• Advertisement

Chrome.ie wrote: »
    Molsen Coors are Producing,Bottling and keging all Franciscian Well products in the UK
    Chrome.ie wrote: »
    The brewery in Cork is producing draught for the brewpub and a cork pub group. They also do the limited editions
    Two slightly different positions there, Chrome.ie. Is it that pubs who had a previous contract with FW are still getting FW beer, but that new customers buying FW-branded beer via Molson Coors are getting UK-brewed beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

drumswan wrote: »
    It doesnt say 'Brewed in the UK' on any bottle of Fran Well Ive seen.

Just as a matter of interest what Fran Well bottles have you seen? Rebel Red hasn't been bottled since before the take over. There were 3 limited edition brews since the take over (Jameson Stout, Citra IPA & Coffee Porter), each just having two thousand bottles, which the Well could easily do in the brew pub. I can't remember any other of their stuff being bottled off the top of my head now.

Just as a matter of interest what Fran Well bottles have you seen? Rebel Red hasn't been bottled since before the take over. There were 3 limited edition brews since the take over (Jameson Stout, Citra IPA & Coffee Porter), each just having two thousand bottles, which the Well could easily do in the brew pub. I can't remember any other of their stuff being bottled off the top of my head now.
    Good point, Ive only seen Alpha Dawg, IPA and Coffee Porter bottles which were all limited additions AFAIR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Had this on an Aer Lingus flight last Monday

Thought it was absolutely horrible tbh. I simply don't drink lager much anymore (tasteless compared to IPAs & decent stout) but this Reminded me of some of the sh!te I used to drink in college. Won't ever be buying it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Had this on an Aer Lingus flight last Monday

Thought it was absolutely horrible tbh. I simply don't drink lager much anymore (tasteless compared to IPAs & decent stout) but this Reminded me of some of the sh!te I used to drink in college. Won't ever be buying it again

Not all nostalgic, then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I was on an Aer Lingus flight recently and saw Tom Creans with Brewed in Ireland underneath it, did anyone find out if it is brewed in Ireland?, there seemed to be a cover up or we were given a politicians answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

The stuff in pubs is brewed in Dingle. However the general consensus from different info given here is that the cans/bottles are brewed in Europe (probably the UK). This is apparently until the brewer builds up capacity to be able to brew everything in Dingle, but he is rather evasive about the foreignness of the non-pub beer.

Advertisement