Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crean's lager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had a bottle last night... very good. in fact very very good. My usual lager is brooklyn. this isnt anything as hoppy but has a lovely biscuit malt crisoness to it... will definitly be getting it again. 1.99 for 330ml which equates to 3 euro a 500ml bottle. they could do with a 6 for 10 deal or somthing to get it rollign out

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I like Tom Creans a lot, very tasty as lagers go. Agree that the 6 for a tenner idea to get things going is a good idea. Whats a pint of it it retailing for in the pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I saw it upstairs in O'Neill's yesterday

I was already sipping Punk so didn't want to change but would have tried it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

A group of us homebrewers regularly meet in the Lucan County bar, beside the Spa Hotel. They've recently gotten in Crean's in 330ml bottles, which they sell for €2.50.

At the same time Pilsner Urquell appeared on draught (€4.20 a pint iirc). Crean's sells well but I'm afraid fresh Pilsner Urquell is probably the best lager in the world...

4.20 for a pint of pilsner urquell is smashing value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

grimbergen wrote: »
    4.20 for a pint of pilsner urquell is smashing value.

Sure is. Galway Hooker is the same price, and I've taken to starting with a pint of Urquell followed by a pint of Hooker. :)

Tube wrote: »

Sure is. Galway Hooker is the same price, and I've taken to starting with a pint of Urquell followed by a pint of Hooker. :)

That's quite good

It's €5 in ATG

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

grimbergen wrote: »
    Whats a pint of it it retailing for in the pubs?

Was in the capital over the weekend had a handful of pints in The Bleeding Horse at 4 quid a pint couldnt go wrong !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Originally had a bottle of this in the South Pole Inn last November and was very impressed. Even got a couple of bottles to bring home. Had 2 pints in the bleedin horse a few weeks back and although I wasnt struck with the same wow factor as previous it went down smooth and I enjoyed it. My ladyfriend also had a couple and had no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dingle Brewer

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update,We have installed two of our three new vessel's over xmas,There are plenty of pic's on our Facebook page if anyone fancy's having a look,Also we are finally reaching all corners of the country with our bottles.Fingers crossed for a good start to 2013.

Again feel free to ask any question's about our lager,our brewery or just any general brewing questions and i will try my best to respond.

Sláinte

Xav

bottle-Poster-WEB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do you have any plans for other beers?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do you have any plans for other beers?

Personally i have loads of plan's :D , But as a company we are committed to ensuring that Crean's gets our full attention for the foreseeable future.

I would expect us to be distilling a whiskey in the next few months though.

Xav

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Any plans to have O Briens stocking anytime soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

6 bottles for €10 in WJ Kavanaghs when I was in there over the weekend, in case anyone is interested.

Any plans to have O Briens stocking anytime soon?

We are willing to stock anyone who contacts us,We are doing alot of this ourselves so it takes time to get to everyone.

A full list of where you can get Crean's is on our website

Cheers
    Xav

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hi Xav,

How come the bottle labels say "Brewed in the EU" on them, and not "Brewed in Ireland"? Is any Crean's brewed outside Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've tried it a number of times and think it's ok. It has nothing on the likes of Urquell though. The 'fresh' part is just another example of meaningless marketing - that's not just in the alcohol industry though, it's everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I've tried it a number of times and think it's ok. It has nothing on the likes of Urquell though. The 'fresh' part is just another example of meaningless marketing - that's not just in the alcohol industry though, it's everywhere.

Yeah, 'fresh' isn't a word I'd usually associate with alcohol. In fact 'fresh' in this context' conjures up green, unmatured beer.

Also, 'Brewed in the EU' is a bit of a worry. Where is it actually brewed?

Hi Xav, I'd be interested in the above question re. where it's brewed as I like to give preference to Irish brewed beers. Also do you have a list of Dublin pubs where its 4e a pint, not sure if thats possible but would be handy to know.

Hi Guys,

We brand our lager as "Fresh" because we use no preservatives in our brewing,We also use natural spring water.Which is vital as most beers are up to 95% water,Because we use no preservatives each pint of Crean's you have served to you was kegged no less than 14 days ago.We also clean our lines weekly so each pint is served in the best possibly quality

With regards to the bottle,When exporting beer throughout the EU you need to label your beer different in each country,As we had samples going to numerous countries all over the world initially we tried to use a generic label,As you can imagine the cost of printing and design is very expensive and to be re-designing the label for each country for samples would be just too much.

Our brewery is open for tours from 1st March,7 Days a week,I will be brewing here most days so if ever about Dingle pop your head in and make yourself know to me and we can go through our brewing process.

There are lots of pics of our plant and a list of everywhere you can get a pint of Crean's on our Facebook & Website

Thanks for the questions

Xav

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

With respect Xav, I don't think you answered the question asked by me, grimbergen and Confab.

Is any Crean's brewed outside Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suspect Xav has either a past or a future in politics.;)

Perhaps they make it in the mysterious 'EU' facility that produces the likes of Dutch Gold, Dolmio and Dr. Oetker products.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Perhaps they make it in the mysterious 'EU' facility that produces the likes of Dutch Gold, Dolmio and Dr. Oetker products.

Well, Dingle Brewer being so evasive leads me to believe that some Crean's is indeed brewed outside of Ireland. It would be nice to have a bit of clarity, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

They must be knocking out some volume if they are contract brewing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I'd say it's brewed in Antarctica for that extra authenticity!

BeerNut wrote: »
    With respect Xav, I don't think you answered the question asked by me, grimbergen and Confab.

Is any Crean's brewed outside Ireland?

Hmmmm I noticed this too when I read the reply

Kinda, sorta dodged the question

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Prop Joe wrote: »

The huge push into offies as of late that they are giving their beer, I'd be more shocked if they are brewing it on site than off site. Bear in mind that they are not a year on the market and were almost impossible to get until the last few months, it is quite a big step upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if they were brewing elsewhere either. From what I understand, Crean's was initially a concept by a businessman with no background in the brewing industry, who identified a niche and then hired a brewer(s) to bring his product to fruition. I stand to be corrected here, but if memory serves me right that's the backstory (visited the brewery a while back).

That said, I think it's a decent brew regardless of origin-definitely a good session drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if they were brewing elsewhere either. From what I understand, Crean's was initially a concept by a businessman with no background in the brewing industry, who identified a niche and then hired a brewer(s) to bring his product to fruition. I stand to be corrected here, but if memory serves me right that's the backstory (visited the brewery a while back).

That said, I think it's a decent brew regardless of origin-definitely a good session drink.

He owns a chain of pubs and restaurants I believe.
    Its good to see Irish beers on the market but personally I would have preferred to see the resources that are being pumped into Creans go towards a nice stout or ale.

Advertisement