Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crean's lager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Bottles will be available from this week according to there Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/TomCreansPremiumIrishLager

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

A limited amount of Tom Creans bottles will be on sale in Dublin from next week- about 20 outlets in total. Confirmed to date Harry Byrnes Clontarf, 101 Talbot, East@King Sitric Howth, Drinkstore, and Martins Fairview. I will update as more come on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

toffeeshel wrote: »
    A limited amount of Tom Creans bottles will be on sale in Dublin from next week- about 20 outlets in total. Confirmed to date Harry Byrnes Clontarf, 101 Talbot, East@King Sitric Howth, Drinkstore, and Martins Fairview. I will update as more come on board.

should be on sale in cork shortly too. They are well priced I am hearing, and should be able to compete with your buds heineken miller etc from that point of view anyway. I havent tasted yet so cannot comment on that. I will update as i hear more on a cork point of view.

Nice branding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

223715.jpg
    Nice bottle, although I don't get the "FRESH.IRISH.LAGER" statement. The word lager means "to store" so it's a bit of an oxymoron. But I'd imagine that level of pedantry would be lost on the average Irish lager drinker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nice bottle, although I don't get the "FRESH.IRISH.LAGER" statement. The word lager means "to store" so it's a bit of an oxymoron. But I'd imagine that level of pedantry would be lost on the average Irish lager drinker.

If you want to be pedantic, 'lager' only means "to store" in German, not English. If you want to be even furtherly pedantic you could say that plenty of ales are technically lagers as they are often stored for a few months before drinking.

I like the bottles, they're very different from what other Irish craft breweries have at the minute however I do think it bears a bit of a resemblance to a certain Rocky Mountain beverage.

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you want to be pedantic, 'lager' only means "to store" in German, not English.
    Yeah, but with either definition it's still a product that had to be stored/matured/clarified for weeks, possibly months, so my pedantry still stands! :p

If you want to be even furtherly pedantic you could say that plenty of ales are technically lagers as they are often stored for a few months before drinking.
    Well it'd depend on the yeast used, and the temperatures used for the "lagering" process.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, but with either definition it's still a product that had to be stored/matured/clarified for weeks, possibly months, so my pedantry still stands! :p
    I envy your inability to tell fresh lager from stale :P

Well it'd depend on the yeast used, and the temperatures used for the "lagering" process.

Lager only means "to store", it doesn't specify yeast or temperature. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

I do think it bears a bit of a resemblance to a certain Rocky Mountain beverage.
    Pictures Van Damme and his frozen underpants. :)

You're contradicting yourself now

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

That would imply it is a verb, whereas in fact it appears to be a noun (storeroom, storehouse, store etc) when used on its own. Lagern is the verb.

You're contradicting yourself now

I was only quoting yourself there.

Has anyone actually tried it? I've not been a huge fan of the draught version. Half tempted to dander up to Martin's to get a bottle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I've had this on two occasions, once in the brewery itself and then again in Dublin city centre. I have to admit there was a marked difference in taste and quality on each occasion- as in it was rather less flavoursome and appealing in Dublin city centre. I'm guessing this is an issue of freshness though it is reassuring to hear they now carry out regular line maintenance.

Not a regular lager drinker but I definitely welcome the addition of a quality homegrown choice, presuming the quality will be consistent. At its best, it's a decent pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I had a couple of pints of this at the taste of Christmas event in the national convention centre last year. I don't claim to be a major beer afficionado but I really enjoyed it. Granted I was dragged to taste of Christmas but this few pints while sizing up the D4 yummy mummies just about made it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Tried it,Liked it...Different to what is on the market,Very easy to drink could easily go on a good session with it.

Nice to see an Irish lager on the market there ain't many.

Labelling is a little "Rocky Mountain" but looks very mainstream not craft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not a lager fan, but my Dad is a Carlsberg drinker.

This was on promotion in O'Neills a good while back, and he loved it.

Are these bottles in the usual places? McHugh's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Anyone seen this availiable in Dublin offies?
    Drinkstore don't seem to have it!

Drinkstore got delivery today, WJ Kavanagh offy have it, as do Gibneys and both McHughs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Drinkstore got delivery today, WJ Kavanagh offy have it, as do Gibneys and both McHughs
    How much a bottle.,?

It's a 330ml bottle- guess maybe 1.99ish

€1.90

I picked up a bottle in Drinkstore earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

€1.90

I picked up a bottle in Drinkstore earlier.

Sipping one of these now, bought from McHugh's, Artane. It smells fine, maybe a bit more pronounced then a Heineken and not really dissimilar. Taste is syrupy, a tad soapy and tangy in a green apple sort of way. Not unpleasent but lagers wouldn't really be my thing anyway. Not bad, as has been mentioned it might be a tough market for them but reports from a mate in a bar that has one of these taps alongside all the macro stuff state that it sells very well, were the O'Hara's taps didn't last in the same bar, I can't work that one out.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Sipping one of these now, bought from McHugh's, Artane. It smells fine, maybe a bit more pronounced then a Heineken and not really dissimilar. Taste is syrupy, a tad soapy and tangy in a green apple sort of way. Not unpleasent but lagers wouldn't really be my thing anyway. Not bad, as has been mentioned it might be a tough market for them but reports from a mate in a bar that has one of these taps alongside all the macro stuff state that it sells very well, were the O'Hara's taps didn't last in the same bar, I can't work that one out.
    I'd be pretty much of the same opinion. It's nice, but nothing special, and just like you, lagers wouldn't really be my thing. I'd certainly have it in a bar if it was a choice between that and any other macro, but the bottled version just isn't different enough for me personally.

My only real criticism is the that the mouthfeel initially seems nice but just seems to be missing a sweetness kick, thereby making it feel like it's lacking something by not being balanced enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I'd be pretty much of the same opinion. It's nice, but nothing special, and just like you, lagers wouldn't really be my thing. I'd certainly have it in a bar if it was a choice between that and any other macro, but the bottled version just isn't different enough for me personally.

My only real criticism is the that the mouthfeel initially seems nice but just seems to be missing a sweetness kick, thereby making it feel like it's lacking something by not being balanced enough.

Yeh, if I had to call it on missing something it would be the crispness you get from a good lager. I'd be drinking Guinness over this, but infairness this does offer more flavour :rolleyes:.

Was just speaking to my mate again and apperently his bar had Crean's and Carrig on tap and Crean's outsold Carrig by a mile, so Carrig was subsequently put out on its ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dingle Brewer

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the reviews and feedback...Good & Bad

We are expanding into Cork & Dublin and the list of our outlets are on the website.

Would love to keep hearing back what you think of Crean's

Happy Drinking

Xav

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Saw bottles of this in McCambridges in Galway the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the reviews and feedback...Good & Bad

We are expanding into Cork & Dublin and the list of our outlets are on the website.

Would love to keep hearing back what you think of Crean's

Happy Drinking

Xav

I like it but I'd prefer if the alcohol % was boosted to around the 5.5% mark.
    Approx 4% is a bit watery for me.
    If it could be produced as a 5% to 5.5% beverage and available in 500mls cans - now that would be Heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

upforit101 wrote: »
    I like it but I'd prefer if the alcohol % was boosted to around the 5.5% mark.
    Approx 4% is a bit watery for me.
    If it could be produced as a 5% to 5.5% beverage and available in 500mls cans - now that would be Heaven!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement