Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a Gig Early

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

That was 2001 dude, bit more than a few years ago ;)
    2002<pedant>
    Only gig I can think of that I bailed on was Motorhead at the Xstream (let down) in the RDS sometime around 2003 I think.
    XtremeFest also 2002</pedant>

Back on topic, I have never walked out during a set that disappointed me but have left after the support as that was why I was there, biggest event I've done that at was probably Slane 2003 as I have no interest in RHCP so bailed once Foos were done. I have sat in a corner in Brixton academy playing my DS during Trivium's sets (I went both nights) at the Black Crusade 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

hellyeah wrote: »
    left trivium in the ambassodor after 10 mins of set as we discoveresd it was an Alcohol free event.:eek:
    Was there myself to see god forbid, so was happy with that.
    The amount of people we met in Bruxells who left early cause of no booze.

Bars were open upstairs at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Irish Halo wrote: »
    2002<pedant>

Certainly was. I signed for my new house on the Friday,kipped on the floor for 2 nights and then down to Punchestown on Sunday. Fun times. Seems a lot longer than 9 and a half years ago though!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

That is just bizzare billing, how in the hell could DevilDriver OPEN for BMTH

I'm not a fan of either but ****ing hell that's a retarded schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Aeternitas wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of either but ****ing hell that's a retarded schedule

Yeah I'd imagine DevilDriver volunteered to go on early because they wanted to do a shorter set, or BMTH had a problem and DD needed to go first that night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Yeah I'd imagine DevilDriver volunteered to go on early because they wanted to do a shorter set, or BMTH had a problem and DD needed to go first that night

Devildriver accepted the slot even though they knew they were on before BMTH just because they wanted to be on the Machine Head tour.

Dez has the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J56PtHMwj-4#!

Devildriver accepted the slot even though they knew they were on before BMTH just because they wanted to be on the Machine Head tour.

That's interesting, he's a nice bloke, and he tours quite a lot - more than anyone else I can possibly think of - I remember when I interviewed him he was always very "work work work" and as much as he loves his family he does need to take it easy sometimes.

Still, it's nice to see DD recognize the fact that sometimes you need to accept that you have to take a huge tour opportunity and sacrifice your own billing place. Very humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I left Donington early in 1991 as I only really wanted to see Motley Crue (missed the Dr Feelgood tour as was in the Gulf war!)
    I did stay for Metallica, but bailed before AC/DC finished as wasn't really into them at the time.
    I left early in 92 too as Iron Maiden bore me to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

kbell wrote: »
    Bars were open upstairs at that.

I think that was the first time they played here. Was upstairs for that.
    2nd time they played was alcohol free event. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Never leave a gig early. There might be a late equaliser.

• Advertisement

(missed the Dr Feelgood tour as was in the Gulf war!)

That's as solid an excuse as I've ever heard to be honest, glad it went well for you at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Or that BMTH may be a bigger band than DD?

Heard the singer titled one song 'Sucks to be you, we're opening for your favourite band' or something with that ending anyway, quality. Must have been one of the worst tour package lineups I've ever seen.

Left Judas Priest early last summer...was quite drunk and enjoyable, but then it just went on so long it got boring so left. Prob only two or three songs left anyway.

Mushy wrote: »
    Or that BMTH may be a bigger band than DD?

Good one - I love the sense of humour on these forums:D

You know, your probably right though, as much as it pains me to say that. BMTH have 32 million Google search results...whereas Devildriver have barely 5.2 million...I feel sick seeing that. Or maybe it's all the Christmas food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

You know, your probably right though, as much as it pains me to say that. BMTH have 32 million Google search results...whereas Devildriver have barely 5.2 million...I feel sick seeing that. Or maybe it's all the Christmas food.

I don't think Devildriver get the respect they deserve. They are just awesome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

You know, your probably right though, as much as it pains me to say that. BMTH have 32 million
    Google search results...whereas Devildriver have barely 5.2 million...I feel sick seeing that. Or maybe it's all the Christmas food.

Yeah I always hear of BMTH more. Wasnt a dig at DD, not that I like them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

left Bowling For Soup early because we wanted Eddie Rockets and we were a bit bored, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The only one I have is leaving the Arctic Monkeys in Malahide castle a few years ago. It was a Saturday evening gig, so everyone was horribly drunk, where I got a free ticket ticket last minute, so was completely sober, along with the two lads I was with, who also got em last minute. Added to that, my sisters bf (who I was with) got an absolute hiding the night before from a pack of nackers, so was missing lumps from his face and in terrible form. Added to that, you could tell it was 90% of the crowd's first "rock" concert, so they didn't know how to behave and enjoy themselves, so there was a bad atmosphere with fights breaking out all over the place.

Pants gig and I'm delighted we left (after about 20 mins), though I really love their latest 2 albums, hopefully they've scared off most of their poppy fans now and when they come next it wont be full of a nightclub crowd looking for their earlier stuff.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Steve Vai in Vicar Street a few years back. The most boring ****e ever. Even my mate, who would have been one of Vai's biggest fans had enough. What Vai does is anti-music IMO. It's just self indulgent wankery. I think each musician on show in Vai's band at the time had a ten minute solo each to show off their technique. Get on with the ****ing music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

cournioni wrote: »
    Steve Vai in Vicar Street a few years back. The most boring ****e ever. Even my mate, who would have been one of Vai's biggest fans had enough. What Vai does is anti-music IMO. It's just self indulgent wankery. I think each musician on show in Vai's band at the time had a ten minute solo each to show off their technique. Get on with the ****ing music.

As a guitarist who's seen him twice it pains me to say you're right. Steve vai's an incredible player, who puts on a great show, but it gets pretty boring standing watching someone shred for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I had to leave gigs early so many times back when I was at my parents' place. I can't even remember the whole list of the bands I had to miss.
    And then... and then I got old and now I don't care about "how do I get home". Somehow I do. Hehe, as long as I don't have any kids - noone cares when I come home.
    I guess the only reason I would leave a concert might be a very ****ty band. But I was quite lucky till now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Only gig I remember leaving early was Spiritualized in the POD a couple of years back ... but that was due to sickness so doesn't count !.

I was majorly pissed off ... had never seen Spiritualized live and had to leave about 3 songs into the set ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I did walk out from And So I Watch You From Afar the other night. I was only really excited about seeing I'll Eat Your Face who were supporting and was just a bit curios about ASIWYFA, but I was wrecked and their songs were doing nothing for me.

Other than that, I have never walked out on a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I bought tickets to Linkin Park a few years back because QOTSA were supporting and left after they finished their set. They weren't the best that day so it was a bit of a waste of money

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

saw zebrahead and mc lars supporting bowling for soup, left after 1 bfs song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Think I only did it twice- once was when Megadeth and Priest played here a few years ago, I fecked off after Megadeth cause I had no interest in seeing Priest at all.

The other time was yonks ago at Muse, we waited for about 8 hours outside the 02 in freezing weather, waited through the support acts, saw about half of Muse's set, then I buggered off to get crisps cause I was actually too tired and hungry to care anymore. I don't really regret it cause I'm not the biggest Muse fan, I only went cause my friends asked me too. Generally, I try and stay for the whole gig.

Acacia wrote: »
    Think I only did it twice- once was when Megadeth and Priest played here a few years ago, I fecked off after Megadeth cause I had no interest in seeing Priest at all.

I did the same, but in Glasgow on the same tour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Came very close to legging it from the RDS when Avenged Sevenfold were on as support to Metallica, awful awful band, luckily Alice In Chains (and copius beers) saved the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Came very close to legging it from the RDS when Avenged Sevenfold were on as support to Metallica, awful awful band, luckily Alice In Chains (and copius beers) saved the day.

I'd never leave if a support band was poor. If they're good, it's a bonus but you're there to see the headliner so if the support are crap, just go to the bar or sit down and relax somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I did the same, but in Glasgow on the same tour

I think at least half the audience left tbh , ha!:D I just went for Megadeth really, although Testament were supporting and they were quite good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Actually left early during Metallica (was there to see Mastodon, AiC and i wouldn't have gone if not for the fact i got a free ticket).

Lars is possibly the most incompetent drummer on the planet. Couldn't believe people payed 70 odd quid to watch this moron and his mates ruin past glories :pac:

Advertisement