Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a Gig Early

Options
  • 14-12-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So we've had threads about going to see the support band specifically and what not, but in the same way, have you ever left a gig early (we're not talking 10 minutes before the end here) for one reason or another (other then because of food poisoning or something) and why?

I once left a gig after the first band had been on. They were the only one's I wanted to see and I had gotten free tickets. It was Theory Of A Deadman, they played 30 minutes, and then I buggered off and sold the tickets I had in hand to a tout outside the venue - nice profit:D

Having said that, first time I've ever sold tickets like that:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

GNR at The O2. When Axl threw a hissy fit and ruined the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Napalm Death and Immolation. I had to leg it before ND came on to make sure I got home! Was back when it was bucketing snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

went to see Noel Gallagher in NYC last month and some people were strangely still arriving upto an hour into the gig, imo its worse than leaving early

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Went to see A Perfect Circle in Wembley few years back, Deftones were headlining. A Perfect Circle were immaculate, then Deftones hit the stage, the sound was ****, couldn't tell what song they were playing 'til Chino started singing - out of time, dropping words to fit into the verses (it turned out to be 'My Own Summer'). Second song was the same, atrocious sound, so I left, and I wasn't the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Never did that. I even got a taxi from Essen to Dortmund, paid around 150 Euro, because I missed the last train. Never mind, I had to see Cannibal Corpse by all means :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Dublin heads have it all too easy -think of your country brothers that travel all day for a gig-im thinking of the gnr fiasco.Ya i stayed and it was great:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Only once,at the Def Leppard/Alice Cooper gig in the point. Alice was brilliant but then Leppard came on and proceeded to bore me to death and i left after half an hour of their set.

Edit: Make that twice. Spaceboys post reminded me of something i'd consigned to the back of my brain. Tool bored the bejaysus out of me,ended up leaving with a beer and waiting in the bus park for the after-show buses to get going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

lord lucan wrote: »
    Only once,at the Def Leppard/Alice Cooper gig in the point. Alice was brilliant but then Leppard came on and proceeded to bore me to death and i left after half an hour of their set.

Aye. Def Leppard, the ruination of any gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

i left after about 45 minutes of a motorhead gig in wembley, hawkwind and anthrax supported. tubes in london were finishing early this night for some reason so i had to go early. what made the night was an irish lad doing security took pity on me for being on my own and left stand at the side of the stage. i got to say hello to lemmy who was a gentleman. a very drunk gentleman but a gentleman all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Only once when Tool played Ozzfest in Punchestown a few years ago. The most boring, self indulgent tripe I ever had the misfortune of seeing & I was'nt the only one either, lots of people were leaving early during their set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Got free tickets to see Satyricon at the TBMC (as it was then) many years back. Took my girlfriend along as part of my plan to educate her on all things metallic. I think we lasted about 15 minutes before we bailed out to the pub.

A shocking load of cack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

illness aside I've left a few things early -

left about 6-7 songs into Leppard in the O2 in June, was the 4th time seeing them in a couple of years and decided to get my last bus which was 11 rather than get stuck (if I remember correctly it didn't finish till about 5 to 12).....

Tool at Ozzfest too - mate and myself thought they were cack and he was driving so sensible move was to head off......

pretty much anything else was due to illness.......but there is something I just couldn't stomach, but have obviously blocked it from my mind.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I left RHCP at Oxegen 2006 after 20 minutes. Absolute ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Don't think i've ever left a gig early...........?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I've never left a gig early although if I went along to Amon Amarth, Ensiferum and Children of Bodom when they were here earlier in the year I probably would have left as soon as Bodom hit the stage.

I stuck around for Def Leppard's entire set in June and it only properly ended at 10 past midnight, I don't know why I did. The last Luas was gone too so I had to walk from the O2 after having been standing up since around 4 o'clock onwards between getting there, queueing and standing for the entire show itself without taking a seat once up to Connolly Station to get a taxi home. I'll know my lesson for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

left trivium in the ambassodor after 10 mins of set as we discoveresd it was an Alcohol free event.:eek:
    Was there myself to see god forbid, so was happy with that.
    The amount of people we met in Bruxells who left early cause of no booze.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never left a (relatively big) gig early, though I've never been to a gig I've considered less than very good :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Went to see American Head Charge and Soil in the TBMC a good few years ago. AHC were on first and were amazing. Soil came on and the first couple of songs were ok, they just weren't as good. If it was the other way around I would have had no problem listening to Soil while waiting for AHC. Went off to the pub after 2 Soil songs because they just weren't as good as AHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aeternitas

I only leave a gig early if I have to. I had to leave Judas Priest early to catch a train because I was working the next day.

Other than that I paid for a full ticket so I catch the full show.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Left Metallica in RDS after Creeping Death before crowd were looking for Whiskey which I think never came. St Anger rubbish so one CD was over I was happy to drift back into town for few leisurely pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

spaceboy wrote: »
    Only once when Tool played Ozzfest in Punchestown a few years ago. The most boring, self indulgent tripe I ever had the misfortune of seeing & I was'nt the only one either, lots of people were leaving early during their set.

That was 2001 dude, bit more than a few years ago ;)

Only gig I can think of that I bailed on was Motorhead at the Xstream (let down) in the RDS sometime around 2003 I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I had to leave Opeth once before the end, I'm not sure how long was left though. I had to go cause I had no way back to Longford otherwise that night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Only once and not by choice, was the Unholy Alliance in Dublin a few years back. Had to leave two songs into Slayers set to make it home, was gutted! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went to Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Steel Panther in Manchester a couple of weeks ago.
    TBH we were only there to see the Crue (saw them once before, Hammersmith Odeon 1985)
    I thought Steel Panther and the Crue were great.
    Def Leppard came on and we looked at each other and said "let's go" after 2 songs.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Similarly a few weeks ago I was in Manchester too, but to see Machine Head. Would have walked if it were not for the fact Machine Head were the headliners. Bring Me The Horizon were on before them...absolutely shocking band...pure sh*te (they got copious amounts of abuse, bottled etc, but the lead singer had the absolute gall to hurl a drumstick at a guy 3 rows behind me, caught him right in the chest).

They even put Devildriver on before those clowns ffs!

Glad I stayed anyway...savage set :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Urgh, I'd hate to see BMTH live..

Denny M wrote: »
    Urgh, I'd hate to see BMTH live..
    It's not something I'd wish upon anyone :(

Still, saw it through, MH opened with "I Am Hell" and chaos ensued. Got Rob's main plec afterwards too, happy out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

yea i left during woodstock 1969 when this strange black dude was murdering my national anthem, other than that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They even put Devildriver on before those clowns ffs!

That is just bizzare billing, how in the hell could DevilDriver OPEN for BMTH

• Advertisement

That is just bizzare billing, how in the hell could DevilDriver OPEN for BMTH
    Tell me about it. The billing was:

Machine Head
    BMTH
    DevilDriver
    Darkest Hour

Definitely not how it should be.

Advertisement