Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Younganne wrote: »
    I entered the London lottery not thinking i had a hope of getting in, but the laugh in now on me.:eek:

Payment has been accepted, apartment has been booked, looks like i'm heading to London 2013:D

London here we come:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

As I said on facebook I'll carry your bags for you:D I'll even hold posters along the route for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 14, Run 4, - Friday 28th Sept

my legs were very tight for some reason so i got a pair of compression sock while in Amphiban King getting my new runners. I also "treated":eek: myself to "The stick", my Friday treat:rolleyes:(how sad)
    Put on the socks for an hour when i got home, had a big of foam rolling and then gave the stick a very small go...headed out for my recovery run and it felt more like a shuffle than a run. Silly me for picking my hilly route for this:o
    anyway did the 2 miles 10.30/150 & 10.33/154. Legs were still very tight on finishing so iced them for a while last night
    2m in 21.04
    new runners = Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 :D changed from the Saucony Ride

Week 14, Run 5 - Saturday 29th Sept
    legs still very tight this morning and it was like after a dryneedling session, sore when full weight put on them(both of them):eek: i had a very tight window to get this done, so i did a few minutes foam rolling and then headed out, knowing i would only get 4m, but if i didn't do the 4m, i probably wouldn't get out at all today.

as soon as i started running the legs felt wonderful, not a peep out of them. New runners worked a threat. I was too fast in this run but evertime i slowed it down a minute later iw as back up again. I tried harder for the last mile and with the long sloping hillhome it slowed me down a bit
    9.04, 8.52, 8.59, 9.10

4.03m in 36.26 @ 9.01/166
    Got home and into the treadmill for 1m @ 9.40pace.

Run finished and legs felt tight again, but not as tight as before the run!!!

Total 5.03m

I got my HR monitor back, email in work to see if anyone had found it and hey presto returned to its rightful owner. All the runners knew where it was as the groundsman who found it was asking everyone running if they owned it!!!

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD:
    28.04m
    MTD:151.60m
    YTD:861.28m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Delighted to hear you are going to London Anne. I remember 2006 watching it on the TV and bawling my eyes out hearing all the sad stories. I started running a few days later and have always wanted to get to London someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woo hoo!!!!! "London calling to the faraway towns....." Congratulations to you! This is HUGE!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Anne, these are the splits I have for our run today:
    10:51, 10:41, 10:13, 19:41 (this is where my lap error occurred, and it was for two miles, even though the Garmin only recorded 1.08 mile - so 9:51 for mile 4). Then we started running together (though you were about 0.25 ahead). Anyway... 9:51 for mile 5 (your mile 0.25-1.25); 9:21; 9:59; 9:57; 9:56; 9:29: 9:57; 10:06 mile 12; 9:49; 9:23; 9:22, 9:28, 9:51; 9:45; 9:01 (this must be where we got excited about being close to the end!); 9:23 for mile 20; 9:27 mile 21: and finally 08:53 mile 22.
    Average 9:45.
    I know our splits were a bit all over the pace with the trying to do MP and then slower, but overall I reckon we did a super run... only one mile slower than 10 min pace, so we were fairly consistent and did show a pattern of speeding up and slowing down.
    Don't have my heart rate because I have blisters from my new HR monitor so I didn't wear it, but I reckon it was about 200+ by the end!

thanks LizzyC, great run, if we had strings attached to us we could have been used as Kites:rolleyes:, the wind was so strong in place. Great running from you and well done on 22miles!

i have averaged my splits and used the moving time for the first mile seeign as we stopped when we met you.... the report is coming up!! averaging them makes them a bit better!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Congrats on London Anne. Didn't manage to get in myslef. You wont find it flying around.

Week 14, Run 6 – Sunday 30th September

Ok the plan for this was 18m with 9m @MP going in a pyramid so 1 easy, 1 MP, 2 easy, 2 MP, 3 easy, 3 MP,2 easy, 2 MP, 1 easy, 1 MP
    I met up with LizzyC andWadi in the Phoenix park at 9am and off we went. It was a bit windy but dry andwe soon realised that it was warmer than we thought.

The first mile was too fast (9.04) and the second one was too slow for MP (9.15) so if we turn them backwards we were onpace:rolleyes:. This ended up being my most difficult run to date. I found the easy miles difficult and sluggish and the MP mile were very hard to get up to MP and i struggled. Lesson here to make sure i have my carbs the day before.
    We headed out on a bit of the marathon route but the wind was very strong in places and this didn’t help for when we were trying to get to MP. We found the road was very slippery in places and me being in my new runners didn’t help. It’s the first time I ever had trouble getting to MP and holding it. I reckon my too fast run yesterday was mocking me.

Anyway we did part of the course then headed back into the park and headed for the cars, reaching it at 9m, halfway. Gel, water and away again and the next few mile just flew by, I reckon it was because we were back in familiar territory. Mile 13 I took another gel praying that it would eventually kick in as i was really finding the run tough.

The windy was nearly galeforce at times and we were running but getting nowhere especially on Northroad!!! The torrential rain came down then when we had 4m left to go and didn’t really stop till we were on out last mile. Strangely the further we ran the better the pacing became and finally i got one proper MP mile. The others were all too slow!!

The avg splits overall were
    1 easy (9.04), 1 MP (9.15), 2 easy (9.50), 2 MP(9.43)Too slow, 3 easy (9.54), 3 MP(9.16), 2 easy (9.42), 2 MP(9.03),1 easy (9.29), 1 MP(8.55), .40 @(9.56)

The positives from this run were that the MP miles were actually getting faster as the run went on. It took a lot of HTFU to complete this and its an 18m run done!! One bad run in 14 weeks is not so bad!!! The company was good and as always the miles were easier to do in company!!:D
    Total 18.40m @ 9.36/164 max 5.56/182

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD:
    46.44m
    MTD: 170.00m
    YTD: 879.68m

Thats my highest months running ever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good session ladies and it will stand to you on the day so well done. Completing these harder runs is worth more than the easy runs!

• Advertisement

Wow anne, sounds like one tough run, in difficult conditions. Getting more comfortable at MP as the run went on- maybe a future career in Ultra running awaits you :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Wow anne, sounds like one tough run, in difficult conditions. Getting more comfortable at MP as the run went on- maybe a future career in Ultra running awaits you :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: don't even suggest that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great run it will really stand to you on the day trust be both mentally and physically

Week 15 :eek: nearly there!!

Plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5 mile easy|6 miles|Session*|20 min recovery|5 miles easy|22m LSR

*Session - 3 miles easy, 4 miles tempo (HM pace)(8.15ish), 3 miles easy

Monday 1st October
    Rest day but for me thats 1hr Pilates and Physio battering me sorting me out. Legs are covered in little bruises again today but definitely not as sore as after the last session. I have a tenderness along the outside of the lower end of my right leg which is new and a bit worrying, i'm hoping its not from the new runners. Never bothered me before, i will see how it is as the week progresses.

Week 15, Run 1 - Tuesday 2nd October
    5 gorgeous sunny miles at lunch time in the park. followed by a lovely chicken salad for lunch, i was starving. :D
    I switched the Garmin from Pace to avg pace and i didn't pay much attention to it, but looking back i see that the last 1.2miles were marathon pace. This didn't feel fast and i wasn't aware i had gotten too fast even though i always seem to speed up coming to the end, but the fact I hadn't the display showing current pace i wasn't aware and it was a comfortable pace, so my delimea is what to have on display from now on in so that i can get use to it for marathon day.
    Pace, Avg pace or lap pace????:confused:

9.40, 9.36, 9.41, 9.33, 9.11, (.20) 9.16,
    Overall 5.20m in 49.32 @ 9.31 (no HR strap today)

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD: 5.20m
    MTD: 5.20m
    YTD: 884.88m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

my delimea is what to have on display from now on in so that i can get use to it for marathon day.
    Pace, Avg pace or lap pace????:confused:

I have three fields on the main display - current lap pace is the bigger one, average pace and distance are the smaller ones. Current lap pace to see if I'm going fast enough now, average pace to see if I'm on target overall. In the marathon you'd want to show time instead of distance, so you could check your time against the time on your paceband when you hit each mile marker. Distance is only going to annoy you when you're halfway through the race and the gap between the distance showing on your watch and the mile markers keeps growing.

RayCun wrote: »
    I have three fields on the main display - current lap pace is the bigger one, average pace and distance are the smaller ones. Current lap pace to see if I'm going fast enough now, average pace to see if I'm on target overall. In the marathon you'd want to show time instead of distance, so you could check your time against the time on your paceband when you hit each mile marker. Distance is only going to annoy you when you're halfway through the race and the gap between the distance showing on your watch and the mile markers keeps growing.

Ray, i have to agree with you on the distance thing, anyway thats what the markers are for.

Thanks i like your thinking on which 3 to display, i usually have 3 on display too, so will change it and go with thes for now..well i'll leave the distance over the time for now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

This is something that I've been wondering about lately as well. I normally switch between 2 screens for a variety of info.
    I like the idea of 'Current Lap time' - do you mean current mile (or KM)?
    Ran with Micilin last week and he also used 'previous KM' as well as 'current KM' - this was helpful.

would be interested to see what others use or whats best for race day?

meant to say, great log btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I like the idea of 'Current Lap time' - do you mean current mile (or KM)?

Yeah, I have Autolap switched on for a lap every km, so 'current lap pace' is showing how fast I'm running this km. It's more responsive than average pace, but not as flaky as 'current pace'.

Yeah, I have Autolap switched on for a lap every km, so 'current lap pace' is showing how fast I'm running this km. It's more responsive than average pace, but not as flaky as 'current pace'.

I autolap every mile(i can't do the KM thing) :o and its great to have the stats when you are finished for analysis, if this is your thing!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Your training seems to be going great Anne, nice 18 miler at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Oh 22 at the end of his week:eek::D I'd love to be up to that! Can't believe its getting so close- I might head up to stand on the side lines on the day. So I'll have to get started on my poster:P

The week so far!!

Week 15, Run 2 - Wednesday 3rd October

This was a very windy run(the weather, not me;)), up Military Rd and Upper Glen road into Gale force winds was a great bit of resistance training:eek:, anyway i feared for my delicate ears the wind was howling so bad, but i made it back in one piece.

6.65m @ 9.35
    I didn't get out for my Tempo run on Thursday as my youngest was sick so couldn't go to playschool and i had no one to mind her.and too dark by time OH got home

Week 15, Run 3 - Friday 5th October (AM)
    Tempo run
    Plan was 3m easy, 4 @ HMP, 3m easy.
    plan was excuted....

the first HMP mile was ok, 2nd was ok too except that i had current pace showing on watch so when i fell a little of the pace, when i got to the Lords Walk, which is slightly uphill, i was shocked to discover that i was at 7.30pace trying to get the average lap pace back up to where it should be and hence i nearly pucked!! 3rd HMP mile was very difficult, along North road into the wind, and as a result of m2 being tough and so therefore mile 4 was even tougher and i came to within an inch of stopping :eek: but held out till the end, I walked for 60 sec and then back into 3m (the walk probably defeated the purpose but i felt that once i had the 4 x HMP done it was ok to take the 1min break or i would have got sick!!)
    But during the final 3m i was grand again!!:D
    10.01m @ 9.10
    9.54, 9.30, 9.22, 8.13, 8.14, 8.26, 8.17, 10.00, 9.44, 9.33

Week 15, Run 4 - Friday 5th October (PM)

2m recovery on the thread mill at 9.45pm, nice and handy:D

Week 15, Run 5 - Saturday 6th October
    this was again on the threadmill for convenience sake as i didn't want to leave it till evenin as LSR on Sunday morning.
    Stupid threadmill stopped dead on me during the run twice:eek:, i've no idea why but its not a nice feeling to be tapping along and next thing....bang machine has stopped

Anyway 5m @ 9.30ish,(6.4mph a 5%incline)

Totalsbiggrin.png
    WTD:
    28.86m
    MTD: 28.86m
    YTD: 908.54m

Week 15, run 6 - 7th October

The mornign started off cold and frosty and i had to defrost the car before i could sent off at 7.40 and it was -1, so i was glad i had hat & gloves with me, but as i got nearer to Dublin the fog cleared and the sun came out!! so i left the hat & gloves int he car and set off in my short sleeve top!! It was cold but a lovely crisp coldness and i knew we'd soon warm up.

22m was on the plan and i was approaching this with the mentality that it had to be easier than last week and thankfully it was. It went great and a real confidence booster.

Now don't get me wrong parts of it were tough but I have to say the fact that i was with 3 others really helped me. We had LizzyC acting as pacemaker and keeping a check on the pace and she did a great job. :D 2 from the Novice thread, Rasher_m and Davemcmahon also joined us and it was great to meet both of them and its great having new people to listen to me rattling on chat with;)

We did a round of the park about 9m i took my first gel just before we left the park and then headed out onto the course, we went as far as the halfway stage at the end of Crumlin road. We were out of water and Rasher_m was the only one with money(€2) so we headed in to the shop with a plan to buy some water and share it out, 2 of us were still carrying out 250ml bottles. There was a great offer of 3 x 500ml bottle for €2, but we got cheeky and asjked for 4 bottles and the shop assistant said np problem so we all got a fresh bottle of water!! I was delighted and It was lovely and little pleases the innocent(i'm referring to me, not calling my fellow runners innocents):o!!
    So then we headed back along the route we had just come. I was feeling good, but my right legs (quad & IT area) kept giving me a little hassle on and off but i just gave it a rub and kept going.
    We got back to the park at 19 miles and here i started to feel really tired. We got into the park and LizzyC was itching to go faster so we dispatched her to do her thing. I relaxed into what felt like a much slower paces and withing 1m i was feeling fine again. The Kyber came at mile 20.5 and surprisingly i found it ok and my pace picked up a little bit. Again my last mile felt ok, but the legs knew it was mile 22, but i was delighted to get back tot he cars and realise that i could keep going!!!

So overall it was a much better run, i had a big bowl of spaghetti with my dinner last night. i drank plenty of water yesterday and I had a solid 8hrs sleep on Friday night, not so good last night with a sick 3yr waking me every couple of hours, but thats life so you just get on with it.

i have dropped another 3lbs so thats helping too and i feel that the Pilates that im doing are helping me with my posture and im more conscious of keep the running form relaxed and the core engaged!!

Splits,
    10.21/133, 10.00/164, 10.16/159, 10.06/156, 9.59/158,
    9.59/161, 10.06/158, 10.10/160, 9.46/158, 10.02/158,
    10.04/159, 10.13/157, 10.08/158, 10.09/159, 10.19/157,
    9.54/159, 10.02/161, 9.59/159, 10.08/159, 10.10/158,
    10.07/157, 9.59/160, (.10) 9.56/157

Overall 22.10m in 3.42.57 @ 10.05/157 Burned 3013cals :D

Totals:D
    WTD: 50.96m
    MTD: 50.96m
    YTD: 930.64m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great report Anne. Not long to go now you must be starting the wind down. You will kill the marathon no problem to ya

Week 15, run 6 - 7th October

The mornign started off cold and frosty and i had to defrost the car before i could sent off at 7.40 and it was -1, so i was glad i had hat & gloves with me, but as i got nearer to Dublin the fog cleared and the sun came out!! so i left the hat & gloves int he car and set off in my short sleeve top!! It was cold but a lovely crisp coldness and i knew we'd soon warm up.

22m was on the plan and i was approaching this with the mentality that it had to be easier than last week and thankfully it was. It went great and a real confidence booster.

Now don't get me wrong parts of it were tough but I have to say the fact that i was with 3 others really helped me. We had LizzyC acting as pacemaker and keeping a check on the pace and she did a great job. :D 2 from the Novice thread, Rasher_m and Davemcmahon also joined us and it was great to meet both of them and its great having new people to listen to me rattling on chat with;)

We did a round of the park about 9m i took my first gel just before we left the park and then headed out onto the course, we went as far as the halfway stage at the end of Crumlin road. We were out of water and Rasher_m was the only one with money(€2) so we headed in to the shop with a plan to buy some water and share it out, 2 of us were still carrying out 250ml bottles. There was a great offer of 3 x 500ml bottle for €2, but we got cheeky and asjked for 4 bottles and the shop assistant said np problem so we all got a fresh bottle of water!! I was delighted and It was lovely and little pleases the innocent(i'm referring to me, not calling my fellow runners innocents):o!!
    So then we headed back along the route we had just come. I was feeling good, but my right legs (quad & IT area) kept giving me a little hassle on and off but i just gave it a rub and kept going.
    We got back to the park at 19 miles and here i started to feel really tired. We got into the park and LizzyC was itching to go faster so we dispatched her to do her thing. I relaxed into what felt like a much slower paces and withing 1m i was feeling fine again. The Kyber came at mile 20.5 and surprisingly i found it ok and my pace picked up a little bit. Again my last mile felt ok, but the legs knew it was mile 22, but i was delighted to get back tot he cars and realise that i could keep going!!!

So overall it was a much better run, i had a big bowl of spaghetti with my dinner last night. i drank plenty of water yesterday and I had a solid 8hrs sleep on Friday night, not so good last night with a sick 3yr waking me every couple of hours, but thats life so you just get on with it.

i have dropped another 3lbs so thats helping too and i feel that the Pilates that im doing are helping me with my posture and im more conscious of keep the running form relaxed and the core engaged!!

Splits,
    10.21/133, 10.00/164, 10.16/159, 10.06/156, 9.59/158,
    9.59/161, 10.06/158, 10.10/160, 9.46/158, 10.02/158,
    10.04/159, 10.13/157, 10.08/158, 10.09/159, 10.19/157,
    9.54/159, 10.02/161, 9.59/159, 10.08/159, 10.10/158,
    10.07/157, 9.59/160, (.10) 9.56/157

Overall 22.10m in 3.42.57 @ 10.05/157 Burned 3013cals :D

Totals:D
    WTD: 50.96m
    MTD: 50.96m
    YTD: 930.64m

well done - finishing with the Kyber :eek:!
    great running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

well done - finishing with the Kyber :eek:!
    great running.

I would have had to tackle this last long lsr on my own so it was a great relief when Anne posted on the Novice thread about the run she was doing, though if I had have known the Kyber was coming into the mix at the end I think I would have curled up in a ball and died :D
    It was a tough aul run but I got through it and the chatting and banter kept me going. Great meeting the three of you and thanks for the company:)

I don't know how you were going home to look after 3 kids...I went straight to my mothers house and got looked after with a nice dinner and a bath.
    I ended up going to Malahide park this afternoon and was persuaded to do a 3 mile walk which has really finished me off haha.
    I'm now sitting in bed and I intend on getting at least 9 hours sleep...I hope!

Well done anne, sounds like you have done everything right in the lead up to this race. Must do wonders for your confidence now to get to 22 and feel like you could keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

but we got cheeky and asjked for 4 bottles

Haha, think this was the best part of the report!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Anne, huge confidence boost to know you could have kept going after 22 :)

Advertisement