Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed here for you anne, hope the physio sorts you out:)

+1 on the above Anne. It's frustrating, trying to work hard and with all the will in the world the legs have a mind (or at least muscles) of their own!
    I'm sure you'll be fine, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Hope the injury is not to bad Anne. You are flying in training all the same.
    I see you were on about getting a bike in another thread thinking of doing the same in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks guys, you're all so good. went to the Physio and thankfully its nothing too serous...my Fibularis longus muscle (lateral fibula muscle)..that's my calf muscle to you and me;) is very tight and this is pulling on my shin and giving me the pain. Its not too serious but the treatment had me in tears!!!!literally:eek:

I had dry needling on both my upper thigh for the IT band, which she thinks is not too bad and on my calf and OMG:eek::eek::eek:...
    now i have a very strong pain threshold and while the treatment was being done it was bearable...just, but when i got up to leave i couldn't walk, put weight on my foot or even put back on my trousers or shoes.....she had to do it for me....the pain was so bad and i was so shocked by this that i ended up in tears..i never thought i was a wuss..:rolleyes:
    I had 12m to drive home and it was not pleasant or easy......I asked her if she really expected me to pay her for inflecting that torture and she laughed...i didn't:o

anyway no running for a few days(and i missed my run today as i had to work through lunch to make my apt) but the more I ice it the quicker it will improve...back in 2 weeks for another session!!!!:eek::eek: I have been icing it on and off for the last few hours but every time i get up to walk the pain is back.....and i still can't put the weight on my foot properly, just hopping on my toes......

If i had left it much longer i would have been in serious trouble within a couple of week...delighted I went, but like i said i'm a wuss...

Went into the cycle shop after but the guy working there hadn't great English and wasn't very helpful so i just left, and will go else where...when i can walk again:D:D

hoping a nights sleep will make it much more managable tomorrow...i have to drive to work(42m/65km):o

I'm hoping i'll be laughing at this post tomorrow!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Ouchy, that sounds painful alright Anne. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery! :) If looking for a bike do your research (but not too much, it can drive you nuts!) and get advice from the folks over on the cycling forum if you didn't ask already.

Anyway be good and show that fibularis longus who's boss! :D

davenewt wrote: »
    Ouchy, that sounds painful alright Anne. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery! :) If looking for a bike do your research (but not too much, it can drive you nuts!) and get advice from the folks over on the cycling forum if you didn't ask already.

Anyway be good and show that fibularis longus who's boss! :D

Thanks Dave, ye doing a bit of research on bikes, but might as well have been in a foreign language, i havent a clue:eek:.....but will look a bit more..i have never owned a bike so its a big purchase for me;) and its at least 25 yr since in was on a bike.
    what i really need is someone to say look at a, b or c and one of these will see you through!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Aw Anne, u poor divil. You sound like you were tortured altogether. I bet tmrw though you'll be a different person. Keep icing with your ten mins on and off and you'll be back in no length!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, ye doing a bit of research on bikes, but might as well have been in a foreign language, i havent a clue:eek:.....but will look a bit more..i have never owned a bike so its a big purchase for me;) and its at least 25 yr since in was on a bike.
    what i really need is someone to say look at a, b or c and one of these will see you through!!!

Deffo ask the guys over in the cycling forum then. I just got a bike but don't know much... however this is the knowledge I went in with (assuming you're going for a road bike similar rules would apply!)

- most obviously, get the correct size frame for your body
    - try a few bikes out
    - carbon front fork = better to absorb vibration than aluminium/steel
    - crankset: 2 cogs on front crank (e.g. 34/50) (better than 3)
    - spend as much as you can on the bike itself, get the accessories as you go

You won't go far wrong if you start by looking at the Giant Avail range (numbering = 1 best, 2 next best etc) http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/avail.1/9351/49918/. As you click through the models, note the groupsets - you want to get a good groupset (as someone explained and gave me the link to the shimano range in this post).

Also, colour is important :) I went for the Defy 2 because it was black. The cheaper, lower-specced Defy 3 was a much uglier white. Aesthetics are important :D

I'm obviously no expert... anyone who is, reading the above, may be laughing right now... but hey... if nothing else that should give you something to start looking at while you recover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yikes Anne that sounds like total torture. Reminds me of some physio sessions I've had in the past. The pain durning in awful and then the pain at home is just as bad and you feel like you are worse than when you started!! Still it passes very quickly and I'm sure you will be right as rain in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

It's crazy alright paying these people to inflict torture on us.
    Here's hoping you're back on your feet in no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Haven't been on much lately Anne, hope it clears up soon.

• Advertisement

Well when i went to bed last night i remembered/realised that she had also needled my hip so i was sore there too and could only sleep on one side...

Anyway when i got up this morning I was is no condition to drive to work so had to take the day off and so i headed back to bed...The 3 kids got in with me(and out & in again etc) and i didn't get up until 10.30:eek:, after that my leg was much better but still sore and it has continues to improve throughout the day...but don't think i'll be doing my sub 50 attempt in Ardee Turfman 10k tomorrow!!!!

davenewt wrote: »
    Deffo ask the guys over in the cycling forum then. I just got a bike but don't know much... however this is the knowledge I went in with (assuming you're going for a road bike similar rules would apply!)

- most obviously, get the correct size frame for your body
    - try a few bikes out
    - carbon front fork = better to absorb vibration than aluminium/steel
    - crankset: 2 cogs on front crank (e.g. 34/50) (better than 3)
    - spend as much as you can on the bike itself, get the accessories as you go

You won't go far wrong if you start by looking at the Giant Avail range (numbering = 1 best, 2 next best etc) http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/avail.1/9351/49918/. As you click through the models, note the groupsets - you want to get a good groupset (as someone explained and gave me the link to the shimano range in this post).

Also, colour is important :) I went for the Defy 2 because it was black. The cheaper, lower-specced Defy 3 was a much uglier white. Aesthetics are important :D

I'm obviously no expert... anyone who is, reading the above, may be laughing right now... but hey... if nothing else that should give you something to start looking at while you recover :)

Thanks a mil Dave, great advice there..
    Technology and Boardsies are great.. i logged off here last night and within 10mins i had a text with my a, b, c...Thanks guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

great Ro, kids had a ball even though we had most of the picnics in the car:rolleyes:..and had to leave beautiful Keem beach on Achill Island because of the rain....but it was a change of scenery and we ate & drank plenty!!:D Thanks Ro...

Small world Anne - I'm in Achill for the summer and we're on Keem at every opportunity - was probably there that day too ! Pity you didn't get a chance to run there - nothing like Keel beach when the tide is out. Hope you are recovered soon. C

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

So sorry to hear that you've an injury Anne - and that physio session sounded like torture. Hopefully with some rest and TLC you will be back in the game in no time!

Thanks Liz, its much improved and i'll see how it figures when i go for a run tomorrow!!! You're flying now, no bother to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, best to you on the recovery. Mind the orders and take care. :)

Thanks DD and i have to say, You'r some woman for one woman....do you not get chafting in a dress???:eek:

Thanks DD and i have to say, You'r some woman for one woman....do you not get chafting in a dress???:eek:

Def no chafing in a running dress (other than the normal chafing potential from the sports bra I wear)......and it is cooler. It also has a couple of nice pockets strategically placed for gels or whatnot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Hope you're sorted now.
    There is a 10k in Annagassen on Saturday morning, I ran it last year its a nice course one draggy hill but its nothing major. I'm nearly 100% I read its chip timed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

How are you recovering from your dry needling? Hope you're back on the road.
    I had a session today and it takes a lot out of you for sure, although mine wasn't as bad as your's sounds.
    I'll get my mother-in-law to include you in her novena:)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    How are you recovering from your dry needling? Hope you're back on the road.
    I had a session today and it takes a lot out of you for sure, although mine wasn't as bad as your's sounds.
    I'll get my mother-in-law to include you in her novena:)

Thank you Martha thats very nice, no wonder i'm improving,
    You're obviously made of sterner stuff than i am:o
    madon wrote: »
    Hope you're sorted now.
    There is a 10k in Annagassen on Saturday morning, I ran it last year its a nice course one draggy hill but its nothing major. I'm nearly 100% I read its chip timed too.

Hi Madon, ye i had my eye on it seeing as i missed Turfman 10k Last weekend in Ardee, but not sure if i can make it now. Family funeral in England and not sure when it is or if i can travel as I have break with the kids booked from Sunday for a few days and i can't cancel on them as they have no other availablility(the hotel, not the kids;))...
    I will know more tomorrow and if i can i'll be there...will arrange to meet you!!!
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Def no chafing in a running dress (other than the normal chafing potential from the sports bra I wear)......and it is cooler. It also has a couple of nice pockets strategically placed for gels or whatnot. ;)

Sounds good, but I don't wear dresses much so don't know if you'd ever get me into a running dress.....i don't think the running skirts every took off her so don't know if the dresses will.....but i might see what they are like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Hi Madon, ye i had my eye on it seeing as i missed Turfman 10k Last weekend in Ardee, but not sure if i can make it now. Family funeral in England and not sure when it is or if i can travel as I have break with the kids booked from Sunday for a few days and i can't cancel on them as they have no other availablility(the hotel, not the kids;))...
    I will know more tomorrow and if i can i'll be there...will arrange to meet you!!!

Don't know if I'll be running- I want to get 15 miles in Sunday before I go on holidays, was thinking of including the 10k in my 15 miles (run home after it) but the OH is on nights and I've no one to mind the kids- but we'll probably head over as spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sounds good, but I don't wear dresses much so don't know if you'd ever get me into a running dress.....i don't think the running skirts every took off her so don't know if the dresses will.....but i might see what they are like!!!

I'm thinking that if all the boards girlies started wearing the little black running dress it might catch on... ;)
    We'll be needing photos though DD!

Emer911 wrote: »
    I'm thinking that if all the boards girlies started wearing the little black running dress it might catch on... ;)
    We'll be needing photos though DD!

Emer, if you treat yourself to a little black running dress, is there any chance Krusty might accidentally wear it at a race? ;)

Emer, if you treat yourself to a little black running dress, is there any chance Krusty might accidentally wear it at a race? ;)

ha ha, he'd have to wear a wig too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

something like this?

man_in_qipao.jpg

Well my plan didn't go exactly as i would have liked but it was better that i though it would have been last Thursday

Week 7, Run 1 - 7th Aug
    3.5m @ 10.18/147...this was slow and legs were very tired so decided i wouldn't do the 6m as was planned. Shin/calf and IT still annoying me

Week 7, Run 2 -8th Aug

MEath running group...again legs were annoying me but as i warmed up they got a bit better.. Warm up, stretching, drills and then intervals,
    3min(7.08) with 2min recovery, 4mins(7.18) with 2 min recovery, 5 mins (7.01) with 2.5min recovery, 4 mins(8.02 i chatted all through this:o) with 2min recovery, 3 mins(7.17). I deliberately kept these slower that i had been doing in the past few weeks..read somewhere that Ray was say people do these intrvals too fast, so that stuck with me.
    Total 5.01m

Week 7, Run 3 - 9th Aug
    9.15 when i got out for this and it was a lovely cool evening for running, i found parts of this very difficult and some of it easy.
    Pitch darkwhen i got finished,
    Total 6.52 @9.50/154

Week 7, Run 4 - 10th Aug

recovery run, 2m kids came with me so it was very slow....no need to tell you how slow, but i did run it(crawl)....

Week 7, Run 5 - 11th Aug
    11m @ 10.11/157 & 4m @ 10.32/159 Total 15m
    I wasn't sure how the legs would preform for my LSR so idecided i would do out and back x 2, but as usualy the thoughts of it were killing me so i added loops and extra bit to get me back tot he house in 11m, i popped into the house, changed my tshirt, had a glass of water, muesli bar, stretched and back outh the door al within a few minutle.
    Hubby suggested this wasn't a good idea but i said i'd be fine....but my last 4m were on a hilly course and as i set off my legs were screaming at me, i had to stop after the first set of hills and stretched, have to say i nearly turned and went home.....but decided i go another bit and see if i could stretch then out....it was a very tought run but each mile managed to get faster so delighted i managed my 15m

Heading to the SouthWest now for a few days so won't get a run in today.

Totals:D
    WTD: 32.03m
    MTD: 44.08m
    YTD: 682.12m

Another mixed week so far this week, and it’s not going to get any better.:mad:

Headed off to Killarney for a few days with the family on Sunday and thought i might get a few miles in but, not so. Monday was rest day, had hoped to get a sneaky run in but no, but plenty of walking. Did the Torc waterfall walk and its a fantastic walk with plenty to stretch the legs...

it’s so different when staying in a hotel as opposed to a house as you have less control over your mealtimes. I headed out Tuesday morning for a run but had to be back in time for a shower before breakfast ended so managed 6m @ 10min pace of the 7m scheduled...legs were tired and tight and sore but not sore enough to stop...

no other running so far this week but plenty of walking and swimming(well time in the pool with a little bit of swimming)

Back to Physio today and she discovered the cause of my problems. My left leg is slightly shorter than my right leg and therefore its taking all the pressure while running. My back muscles are very weak, due to a fall i had 14yrs ago and still gives me some problems from time to time so i need to start a strengthening program to get the support I need from my back. I have an insole to try out in my shoe for the moment to see if this helps and in the meantime i’ll have to go for weekly apts to see me through to the marathon!!

She dryneedled my right hip, quad and calf and it definitely wasn’t as sore as last week when she was finished. I’m allowed to keep running but only if i’ve no pain. I’m not allowed to run through pain, but its usually just tired and achy not painful so i’ll see how i get on over the next few weeks while treatment is started...:mad:

Totals
    WTD: 6m
    MTD: 50.08m
    YTD: 688.12m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I take it you're back home now, you got the best of the weather. I'm here since Sunday too. Running between the showers!

• Advertisement

Jcsmum. Ye we were very lucky with the weather. Got down in time for a swim, dinner and watch Olympics closing cermony. Beautiful sunny days Mon & Tue, Wed windy and showery but not too bad. we were out on the boat from Ross castle at 12.30 and it was a bit rough but not too bad...headed home then and the wind was terrible.
    Pity i didn't know you were there we could have met up for a run round the park!!! Enjoy the rest of your stay...theres so much to do we'll definitely take a house and stay longer next time!!!!

Advertisement