Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Speech on Boards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

What started the whole MCD thing anyway, well i know in general, but would love to know the specifics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you had to pay the bill for what I say, you wouldn't be long changing your mind ;)

Now that I think of it, it's probably better this way. Think of all the people who've been saved from their own stupidity by having comments edited or removed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What started the whole MCD thing anyway, well i know in general, but would love to know the specifics...

People generally bad mouthing Oxegen and talking about things happening in certain campsites which they technically didn't provide proof of. So MCD decided to sue.

Since by Irish laws Boards was responsible they could have won, except a test case came up before the boards one so talking about MCD events and Oxegen was allowed again because of some ruling in favour of open discussion.

RE: Free Speech, there is exactly enough free speech as is needed here, I don't want some bigoted cnuts getting to post here on the basis of "Free Speech" so it's good the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

couldn't care less
    I checked both options as someone who should be well versed with the kernel of Macs should know how to put up radial buttons instead of check boxes. Hweh hweh hweh. There's my free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find that the people who shout the loudest and get the most annoyed about "not having free speech" etc. are people in the prison forum.

Normally they're there because they were trying to advertise their company for free or were trying to libel another business/individual.

Of course if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be the first to threaten to sue the website in their hilarious style.

"I am forwarding all this to my solisiter." :rolleyes:

A. I doubt you have a solicitor as you can't spell the word.
    B. Legal threat = instant siteban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I couldn't care less tbh because it's just boards.ie covering themselves.
    What i don't get is the way you're not allowed drag up an old thread to discuss the topic, and a lot of times if you start a thread about said topic, it will be locked because it has been discussed before, this is typical boards.ie bullsh1t :pac:

also, why "******" bad words and allow users to easily get around it if they want, so fucking stupid?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

couldn't care less
    I couldn't care less tbh because it's just boards.ie covering themselves.
    What i don't get is the way you're not allowed drag up an old thread to discuss the topic, and a lot of times if you start a thread about said topic, it will be locked because it has been discussed before, this is typical boards.ie bullsh1t :pac:

also, why "******" bad words and allow users to easily get around it if they want, so fucking stupid?

:pac:

A lot of times when old thread are dragged up they are closed because information may have changed or be no longer relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

The easiest way is to buy boards. Then your in charge. and the law will be laid down. it will be moved out of Ireland and no longer an Irish Site. twill become AmausengIrish
    I had a dream about this last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

couldn't care less
    You have free speech, as long as it's grounded in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

couldn't care less
    I like how Mr. Free Speech, Stiffler, neglected to tell everyone his poll was open and everyone could see who voted where.

Nice one you ******* *********.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Seachmall wrote: »
    I'm going to assassinate the Taoiseach, hypothetically of course.

I brutally murdered a small child, hypothetically of course.

I killed Michael Jackson, hypothetically of course.

I directed The Room, hypothetically of course.

Oh, hai Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Except for the fact you can't talk about open legal proceedings and the odd Mod abusing his authority I find boards fairly open.

Now I have to go. I'm on jury duty in the case about yer man who killed his girlfriend and we're considering sending the bollocks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

to be fair, 4chan is the last post of free speech left on the internet. If AH allowed free speech ID be posting a lot more tidbits of opinions, we all signed up to boards knowing its not a free speech zone, if you dont like it, off to 4chan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    You do not have Free speech on Boards
    How does this make you feel ??

I know in the States if a user posts something on a website the user is responsible, not the site.

In Europe the site is responsilbe, not the user.
    Not sure about the rest of the world tbh.

This is obviously why we don't have free speech on sites in Europe.

Mods - Has Boards ever actaully been sued by a company for slander that was posted by a user on this site or have they just been bullied & threatened to the extend that Mr. Boards pood his pants and said "OK, I give in, let's censor everything.

or

Is boards.ie just really really really PC, health & Safety mad ???

What a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Free speech as long as reasoning and/or proof accompanies it ..! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think you can say what you want,you just have to phrase it correctly
    Indeed .If you come across as somebody typing with one hand and a steak knife in the other it will soon show up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

red menace wrote: »
    A lot of times when old thread are dragged up they are closed because information may have changed or be no longer relevant

That's not the point i made but whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I thought it was against the rules to give or seek advice on how to break the law. But it appears the rules are not applied in threads about the TV licence and the household charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I thought it was against the rules to give or seek advice on how to break the law. But it appears the rules are not applied in threads about the TV licence and the household charge.

To be fair half the TD's in the country are telling people to stand up and not pay the household charge.

tax avoision isnt a crime really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

tax avoision

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

couldn't care less
    Evasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Non-payers then complaining that mainstream tv is rubbish is also the irony which they will tell you , is why they don't pay it .

Evasion.
    Krusty the Clown has been charged with tax avoision. This... *Kent holds
    earpiece*. Avoision. I don't say evasion, I say avoision!

doesnt count as a real tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I can see why this would bother you but the term free speech is obnoxious when people use it to imply what they say will have no consequences opposed to just being able to say what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

saa wrote: »
    I can see why this would bother you but the term free speech is obnoxious when people use it to imply what they say will have no consequences opposed to just being able to say what you want.
    Care to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

couldn't care less
    well certain things like racism or discriminatory comments shouldn't be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    :confused:
    Evasion.

Kent Brockman on the Simpsons says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BBDBB wrote: »
    I have to be honest OP

if you actually had free speech,

I seriously doubt you would have anything to say worth hearing

Tbh, crying about free speech is usually a sign that they didn't have anything worth saying at all, and blaming the lack of free speech is a way of saying I just couldn't tell you to f*ck of enough times.

Plus its pretty self defeating. Everybody would have free speech, the same problem still remains.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

K-9 wrote: »
    Tbh, crying about free speech is usually a sign that they didn't have anything worth saying at all, and blaming the lack of free speech is a way of saying I just couldn't tell you to f*ck of enough times.

Plus its pretty self defeating. Everybody would have free speech, the same problem still remains.

very true, allowing folk to simply insult each other with impunity destroys a site as they seek to get more more and more offensive in attempt to score a hit against their opponent. Sadly it goes way beyond simply telling each other to feck off, the internet does strange things to some folks ability to behave in a reasonable manner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement