Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT CAMP in Ireland for Fat Kids

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

fat/fit camps are a great idea,but why cant ireland and england borrow from americas idea of those awesome looking summer camps offered to kids every year?
    they woud be far more encouraging to get off their arses and do more when they see the sort of sports available-like in american ones-horse riding, camping,hiking,kayaking and whatever.

there shoud be camps to for people who are of the mentality that they need to be skinny and on a limited diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Well, if it's an issue... Here's a tissue.

Though I suspect they'd require quite a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

lol at the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

So you're in control of what your child eats for the best part of two decades wouldn't you want them flying the nest with a clean bill of health if you can do anything about it, the mind boggles.

Its very easy for your child to be deemed overweight but many kids do have puppy fat which isn't being caused by majour lifestyle issues but to have a child with obesity is scary considering they have the fastest metabolism they're ever going to, the least bad habits accrued and choice over what they eat (I hope..)

I still think this fat camp thing is a rich family thing where they send the kid over to it out of shame. I don't view the kid as an embarrasement its not a moral thing I don't think the parents are bad people but they are touchy about their childrens weight but at the same time can be completely oblivious. There is not always an issue but if there is please god do something, but hey maybe its our parents job to fúck us up in one way or another :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

its not a rich thing its something our government could do with Local Gyms. to give kids free Training, outside Normal Training Hours..

Boxing Clubs would have a closed class for overweight kids. same with Judo, or evening force the Gyms around our local area to give a free 2 class a week for kids.. be that of Swimming, Spinning class or Cardiac Training.

As for adults we need gyms are a Much Cheaper Rate then what they are.. to give less off people the choice of joining a gym or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cork24 wrote: »
    its not a rich thing its something our government could do with Local Gyms. to give kids free Training, outside Normal Training Hours..

Boxing Clubs would have a closed class for overweight kids. same with Judo, or evening force the Gyms around our local area to give a free 2 class a week for kids.. be that of Swimming, Spinning class or Cardiac Training.

As for adults we need gyms are a Much Cheaper Rate then what they are.. to give less off people the choice of joining a gym or not.

Call me weird, but when I was a kid I got plenty of exercise just being a kid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Cork24 wrote: »
    its not a rich thing its something our government could do with Local Gyms.

yes it is, although the gov should have been building up fitness amenities years ago. I would love if they supplemented it for lower income fellows but I can't see it happening and I can't see enough people using it, imo most people see exercise, veggies and drinking plenty of water as a form of punishment. :confused:

I don't feel safe exercising outside and its funny to think of how many hours of PE classes I had and I don't know how to do a workout, I know different workout exercises but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

WIZE wrote: »
    I'm 32 and when I was young we played football 5 hrs a day but there was still fat kids everywhere

THIS. Losing weight is more to do with your food intake then exercise. Some kids could play football for 3 hours and will then go to the shop and undo it all with coke, crisp and chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

A change in behaviour of a generation is necessary to save the current kids.
    Unfortunately alot wont change for many reasons but many for the whole idea of doing something they are told. People arent fed up of free will yet, even when its to their detriment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Yes we all did but time are changing kids today would want to spend hours end playin their ps3 or Xbox. This leads to a lack of fitness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I blame fridges.

In the good auld days you would be sent on your bike to the shops for a message. Coming back you would have a bag full of loose spuds on each handlebar, plus a bag of groceries on the back carrier (and no gears on your single speed bicycle to make it aisy gettin' up the hills.) At home you were interrogated to see that you had brought back the right change.

The introduction of cars and fridges did away with the constant scurrying to the shops to get stuff because in the good auld days food went off quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Send 'em to Africa, I hear they have no problems with obesity....

You are poorly informed. Obesity is a major problem in many Third World countries with growing urban populations. As soon as they can afford it, people overindulge themselves with fattening foods and neglect to get enough exercise.:eek:

Rather like Ireland really!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I dispute this whole notion that healthier food is more expensive than junk/fatty food. When I'm shopping, the cheapest things on my list are the fruit/veggies/rice/pasta/potatoes/milk. OK, meat and fish may cost a little more Aldi do great 69c - 99c deals on fresh veg. Herbs/spices and powders for making tasty sauces while costing a bit initially will last for ages! Obviously buying organic or farmer's market type produce is going to be more costly but you don't need to buy such to have healthy food.

If/when I buy processed/junk foods, they always are the pricer things on my shopping list (ready made meals full of additives/pizzas/oven chips/fizzy drinks). Junk food takeaways/deliveries are always going to cost more than cooking healthy food at home. So perhaps it's because the families on unhealthy diets are too lazy to spend time cooking the right food and take the easy option of ordering junk?

I don't have children but if I had, the thought that I was contributing to their unhealthy lifestyle and poor health by stuffing them with junk just because I was too lazy to cook wholesome healthy food for them is just something I could not forgive myself for. Parents know what is healthy or what is not - it's not rocket science so ignorance is not an excuse. I do feel sorry for the fat kids because it really is not their fault. At that young age, they are not going to know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    You are poorly informed. Obesity is a major problem in many Third World countries with growing urban populations. As soon as they can afford it, people overindulge themselves with fattening foods and neglect to get enough exercise.:eek:

Rather like Ireland really!:)

Add to that, cheaper foods are packed with crap ingredients, such as sugars, cheap fats and piles of salt. So even where people aren't over-indulging in fatty foods, traditionally healthier foods are now more costly than nutritionally empty alternatives.

Things like bread would be big on that list -- cheap white breads have virtually no nutritional value but cost a hell of a lot less than whole wheat or whole grain breads. (Cheap brown bread doesn't count either and is a sneaky way of convincing people they're being healthier; those breads are often the same as the white breads but dyed brown with molasses.)

Big food corporations have a lot to answer for in the degradation of human health and increasing obesity.

Advertisement