Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT CAMP in Ireland for Fat Kids

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

After Watching Super Size Kids you have to Wonder wtf..

health in fat people is costing HSE millions per year.. is their a way to Stop this and teach our kids on how to eat and stay in shape. can we point the finger to the parents ? or is it the fact Consoles are part of our lifes kids today would want to spend hours end in front of a TV and play COD or GTA while the parents are sitting back and watching their kids get Fatter and fatter.till soon the only way to fix the problem is going under the knife which can cost up the 16k.
    I feel and have always felt that the Irish Government should open up Judo/Boxing camps in the Summer for fat kids who are 6+ over their BMI

It does seem that we are the only place that doesnt give a Rats AS^ about fat kids. no better way to get their sh*t in gear then have them box their way though the Summer months..

when i was growing up we spend all our days out playing football no worry about fat kids back then but boy have times change..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Cork24 wrote: »

health in fat people is costing HSE millions per year.. is their a way to Stop this and teach our kids on how to eat and stay in shape. can we point the finger to the parents ? or is it the fact Consoles are part of our lifes kids today would want to spend hours end in front of a TV and play COD or GTA while the parents are sitting back and watching their kids get Fatter and fatter.till soon the only way to fix the problem is going under the knife which can cost up the 16k.
    I feel and have always felt that the Irish Government should open up Judo/Boxing camps in the Summer for fat kids who are 6+ over their BMI

It does seem that we are the only place that doesnt give a Rats AS^ about fat kids. no better way to get their sh*t in gear then have them box their way though the Summer months..

when i was growing up we spend all our days out playing football no worry about fat kids back then but boy have times change..

Unless their eating the consoles then its not that thats making them fat. I can spend hours at the playstation but I eat in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Easy way out of it...

Make fruit and veggies cheaper than chocolate, crisps and junk food!

That's pretty much half the battle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

health in fat people is costing HSE millions per year.. is their a way to Stop this and teach our kids on how to eat and stay in shape. can we point the finger to the parents ? or is it the fact Consoles are part of our life's kids today would want to spend hours end in front of a TV and play COD or GTA while the parents are sitting back and watching their kids get Fatter and fatter.till soon the only way to fix the problem is going under the knife which can cost up the 16k.

It does seem that we are the only place that doesn't give a Rats AS^ about fat kids. no better way to get their sh*t in gear then have them box their way though the Summer months..

Why not prosecute the clearly negligent parents who let their kids get into that state in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

There is no real reason for anyone really needing to go under the knife for weight control purposes.
    It starts at home and in school the value of excercise and participation in sport is good for body and mind!
    Patents are to blame for fat kids (omitting medical problems) they have control of their children's diets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I'm 32 and when I was young we played football 5 hrs a day but there was still fat kids everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You don't often see skinny parents with fat kids. The kids eat what the parents eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Easy way out of it...

they are, a LOT cheaper too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

heate wrote: »
    There is no real reason for anyone really needing to go under the knife for weight control purposes.
    It starts at home and in school the value of excercise and participation in sport is good for body and mind!
    Patents are to blame for fat kids (omitting medical problems) they have control of their children's diets!

School Shops sell crap food, when i was in school and in the Student Union we got the school to ban, sugar sweets and fizzy drinks in the canteen. which didnt go down well with the students but still it was one way in getting the message out..

I do fell its not as easy as tell kids eat 4 meals a day and your done.. i think we need to look into Summer Camps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Send 'em to Africa, I hear they have no problems with obesity....

Easy way out of it...

In England Schools are teaching Kids on how to grow their own veggies here how to get a 18 year old to buy drink for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

heate wrote: »

thats the problem, lots of people think they have a genuine medical condition but they dont they just have self control issues and dont exercise enough.
    obesity is not something you are born with but a condition you develop through nutritional neglect and not eating a balanced healthy diet

I do fell its not as easy as tell kids eat 4 meals a day and your done.. i think we need to look into Summer Camps

You can have a child eat 3-4 meals a day but it's not how much they're eating, it's WHAT they're eating.

Alot of families sit down and watch telly while eating. You will actually eat MORE eating this way. Sitting down to a proper dinner. I know kids can be fussy buggers, and trying to get veggies into them can be a curse, this is why I LOVE my hand mixer, my kids get veggies and they don't even know it. Tomato bases sauces cover a multitude of tastes, and on home made pizza day (thursdays usually), my kids thing they are getting cheese and pepperoni. Nah, they are getting the extra advantages of spinach and carrots in the tomato sauce.

It will take a bit of parental effort and imagination to get kids to eat properly and stop serving up nuggets, potato croquettes, burgers and sh1te like that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Fat people are funnier. Let them be fat.

If all the kids are strutting around absolutely shredded what will we have to laugh at then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see many fat kids tbh but kids seem to walk places a lot less than they used to - whether it's the notion that there are more paedos out there.
    The "In my day we climbed trees from morning to night" stuff though has been said for decades...

In England Schools are teaching Kids on how to grow their own veggies here how to get a 18 year old to buy drink for you.

Growing veggies with kids is class. I grow herbs and tomatoes with my kids, and this year they thought it was great being able to eat the tomatoes, even though they would NEVER eat them before that. I still have trouble getting veggies into them, but as I said in an earlier post, I try to use a bit of imagination!

It does seem that we are the only place that doesnt give a Rats AS^ about fat kids.
    amerikay, dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How much does alcohol cost the HSE?

BAN ALCOHOL!!!!

Oh wait no we like alcohol, better do something else.

Growing veggies with kids is class. I grow herbs and tomatoes with my kids, and this year they thought it was great being able to eat the tomatoes, even though they would NEVER eat them before that. I still have trouble getting veggies into them, but as I said in an earlier post, I try to use a bit of imagination!

Kids see it as fun stuff doing with their parents and want to share that by tasting the items they grew them selfs..

but i dont think tricking a kid is the way to go.. if they found out that it was fruit and not something else they thought it was then they could have eating issues where they will just stop eating

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd say it's more fat adults that is costing the HSE money, not kids.

I don't remember Ireland having a prticularly high level of chidhood obesity compared to other European countries, perhaps you could dig up so data for me to mews over? In fairness, it has been a while...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'd say it's more fat adults that is costing the HSE money, not kids.

I don't remember Ireland having a prticularly high level of chidhood obesity compared to other European countries, perhaps you could dig up so data for me to mews over? In fairness, it has been a while...

fat kids have a higher rate of getting diabetes in adulthood.

diabetes in pregnancy for the women is nothing to worry about but can have a risk of passing that onto a child, the mother should within a month or so after birth lose the diabetes

• Advertisement

fat kids have a higher rate of getting diabetes in adulthood.

diabetes in pregnancy for the women is nothing to worry about but can have a risk of passing that onto a child, the mother should within a month or so after birth lose the diabetes

I know what the problems caused by obesity are which is why I didn't ask about them. I asked for something to back up the fact that there are higher levels of it in Ireland than elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Why boxing/judo? As punishment?!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I know what the problems caused by obesity are which is why I didn't ask about them. I asked for something to back up the fact that there are higher levels of it in Ireland than elsewhere.

Why should we need facts to state yes Ireland does not have a high Level or yes Ireland has a high level of obesity in kids then Europe before we can act on the problem..

how much would it cost to have Summer camps in Ireland to get kids in shape and maybe find a sport they enjoy and would keep it up @ home ?

Russia has Judo camps for their fat kids..

Even if we do have a lower rate of obesity then the rest of Europe doesnt mean we should sit back and do nothing with the Rate of Fast Food is on the rise. its only a matter of time before this mini America becomes America with obesity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

At least we aren't as bad as the people of Tonga yet

marketty wrote: »
    Why boxing/judo? As punishment?!

it is one of the best ways to lose Weight, 800 + cals per hour only Spinning class can match this type of cal Burn per hour.

HazDanz wrote: »
    At least we aren't as bad as the people of Tonga yet

WTF fanta in bread ?

Any childhood obesity problem is more likely to be similar in the two countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

WIZE wrote: »
    I'm 32 and when I was young we played football 5 hrs a day but there was still fat kids everywhere

They're called goalkeepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There is this kid that gets the bus with me sometimes, her Mam is dropping her off to school (with some other random girl). Anyway, the kid's Mam is about 5 foot tall and 5 foot round, with really long hair. The kid is about 3.5 foot tall and the same girth (with really long hair). They both get off the bus and waddle down the street. The random normal sized kid skips happily along beside them. I feel so sorry for that poor kid. She's about 9 years old. She is a little 'mini me', in the worst possible way. Maybe the Mother and daugher have some genetical propensity to obesity, but I doubt it. That little girl's arms and legs are like hams. She looks like she's never run in her life. Her whole future is obesity, health problems and people laughing at her.

Depresses me everytime I see her.

• Advertisement

Why should we need facts to state yes Ireland does not have a high Level or yes Ireland has a high level of obesity in kids then Europe before we can act on the problem..

Why should we need facts...?? Well, papart from the obvious, so that we don't reat hysteerically to a problem that may not exist and go posting in interent forums trying to whip up a frenzy for one.
    how much would it cost to have Summer camps in Ireland to get kids in shape and maybe find a sport they enjoy and would keep it up @ home ?

Russia has Judo camps for their fat kids..

As far as I know, Ireland does. And theer are a lot of boxing clubs as well.
    Even if we do have a lower rate of obesity then the rest of Europe doesnt mean we should sit back and do nothing with the Rate of Fast Food is on the rise. its only a matter of time before this mini America becomes America with obesity

That's a bit different from your opening post. However, you are still stating your opinion as if it were fact: is the rate of fast food on the rise?

Advertisement