Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAT CAMP in Ireland for Fat Kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Back in the day we spent all our youth running from randy Priests, now that everyone has such a close eye on the Priests the kids don't need to run as much.

Hence the little fatties rolling about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

RachaelVO wrote: »
    You can have a child eat 3-4 meals a day but it's not how much they're eating, it's WHAT they're eating.

Not really. Simple case of calores in V calories out. I could eat 3 McDonalds cheeseburgers(450kcal a piece) per day and lose weight.

Child education is all well and good, but it's going to be very difficult for an overweight child to try and convince his parents to buy healthy food / parents control the amount of food on the kids plate if the parents are not educated / don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cork24 wrote: »
    After Watching Super Size Kids you have to Wonder wtf..

health in fat people is costing HSE millions per year.. is their a way to Stop this and teach our kids on how to eat and stay in shape. can we point the finger to the parents ? or is it the fact Consoles are part of our lifes kids today would want to spend hours end in front of a TV and play COD or GTA while the parents are sitting back and watching their kids get Fatter and fatter.till soon the only way to fix the problem is going under the knife which can cost up the 16k.
    I feel and have always felt that the Irish Government should open up Judo/Boxing camps in the Summer for fat kids who are 6+ over their BMI

It does seem that we are the only place that doesnt give a Rats AS^ about fat kids. no better way to get their sh*t in gear then have them box their way though the Summer months..

when i was growing up we spend all our days out playing football no worry about fat kids back then but boy have times change..

Thanks god I am pc gamer...

And nope, I wasn't made for speed, I was made for comfort.

Naos wrote: »
    Not really. Simple case of calores in V calories out. I could eat 3 McDonalds cheeseburgers(450kcal a piece) per day and lose weight.

Child education is all well and good, but it's going to be very difficult for an overweight child to try and convince his parents to buy healthy food / parents control the amount of food on the kids plate if the parents are not educated / don't give a ****.

Bingo, kids don't control what they eat, their parents do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Why should we need facts...?? Well, papart from the obvious, so that we don't reat hysteerically to a problem that may not exist and go posting in interent forums trying to whip up a frenzy for one.

As far as I know, Ireland does. And theer are a lot of boxing clubs as well.

That's a bit different from your opening post. However, you are still stating your opinion as if it were fact: is the rate of fast food on the rise?

Yes Fast food is on the rise... i Work in a Food Chain Suppler and we are after seeing a 45% profit in fast food. we have seen a 60% rise in profit in Chinese food. which can be very very unhealthy for you as everything is mostly fried..

the problem of kids getting fatter is a real risk.

Almost one in five adults in Ireland is now obese, while more than 300,000 children are overweight or obese, a major new report has found.
    According to the Report of the National Taskforce on Obesity, which was presented to government today, the prevalence of overweight and obesity has increased 'with alarming speed' over the last 20 years. Obesity is now a major public health problem throughout Europe, including here in Ireland, where 39% of adults are overweight and 18% are obese.
    It is now estimated that obesity kills around 2,000 Irish people prematurely every year.

its one thing saying that Yes theirs Judo MMA boxing clubs all over Ireland but making it Law for 6+ BMI kids to go to Camp for 4months of the Summer is another thing which will force them to lose and join in..

i would you think i fat kid would feel going to a boxing club and all he see is healthy kids boxing ?? where by having them at a Summer camp he is around people like him were he can enjoy himself/herself without the fear of being laughed at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

In my sons class in school there is one fat girl, her mam is obese, as is her grandmother and aunty. In the whole school, of about 500 kids, there is really not that many fat kids that I have seen, quite the opposite in fact. The school does have a healthy eating policy, but I seriously doubt that that alone would make a big difference to the kids weight.
    Anyway there is a good few years of tough budgets ahead, sure wont we all be much slimmer by the end of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Back in the day we spent all our youth running from randy Priests, now that everyone has such a close eye on the Priests the kids don't need to run as much.

Hence the little fatties rolling about the place.
    The flipside is there are lots of paedos now - on every corner they are, so the kids gotta be driven everywhere. There were no paedos til the 90s. :cool:

Naos wrote: »

Yes but how much are your burning, to lose weight you need to be burning more then what you take in.. so yes if you are working out alot it doesnt really matter what you eat as a means of energy. but it would help if you eat green then sh(t you get in Dirty Ds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes Fast food is on the rise... i Work in a Food Chain Suppler and we are after seeing a 45% profit in fast food. we have seen a 60% rise in profit in Chinese food. which can be very very unhealthy for you as everything is mostly fried..

How do you know people are buying it and feeding it to kids? Chinese food, if cooked well, can be quiet nutritious.
    the problem of kids getting fatter is a real risk.

It could be. But then so is driving while drunk - doesn't mean that people are actually doing it.
    Almost one in five adults in Ireland is now obese, while more than 300,000 children are overweight or obese, a major new report has found.
    According to the Report of the National Taskforce on Obesity, which was presented to government today, the prevalence of overweight and obesity has increased 'with alarming speed' over the last 20 years. Obesity is now a major public health problem throughout Europe, including here in Ireland, where 39% of adults are overweight and 18% are obese.
    It is now estimated that obesity kills around 2,000 Irish people prematurely every year.

its one thing saying that Yes theirs Judo MMA boxing clubs all over Ireland but making it Law for 6+ BMI kids to go to Camp for 4months of the Summer is another thing which will force them to lose and join in..

i would you think i fat kid would feel going to a boxing club and all he see is healthy kids boxing ?? where by having them at a Summer camp he is around people like him were he can enjoy himself/herself without the fear of being laughed at

Soucre for the above study, please. We can't debate it if only one of us has read it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=7503

most a lot of Parents are working and dont have the time to cook meals for their kids so they feel that fast food would be to easy then cooking a good meal. Chinese food i dont cook it my self but i get it as take away always get boiled rice.. with Chicken Curry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Yes but how much are your burning, to lose weight you need to be burning more then what you take in..

I understand that, hence the calories in V calories aspect in my post :)
    so yes if you are working out alot it doesnt really matter what you eat as a means of energy. but it would help if you eat green then sh(t you get in Dirty Ds

Greens help in terms of health yes, but fat kids are simply overeating regardless of what it is they're eating, so education on portion size is pretty high up on the importance level for losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if a child is obese the parents should get charged with child abuse

most a lot of Parents are working and dont have the time to cook meals for their kids so they feel that fast food would be to easy then cooking a good meal. Chinese food i dont cook it my self but i get it as take away always get boiled rice.. with Chicken Curry..

That article is from 2005.

Accordign to the EASO (European Association for the study of Obesity) , we're somewhere in the middle when the figures were last looked at in 2002. The actual document is dated 2010, but there appears to be no more recent data and is they don't have it, I don't think it exists.
    http://www.easo.org/documents/ChildEU27September2010.pdf

No one is saying that children should not be brought up with good dietry and exercise habits, but your claim that Irish kids are particualry at risk is groundless.

So your saying we should just do nothing.. and lets see how it plays out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

There are mentions of paedos in this thread but the fat kids would be safe enough, sure they'd be easy to catch but who wants to fiddle with a fatty?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I am sick of people blaming games or tv or the internet for people being obese.

We all did these things, some people are just prone to becoming fat and some are just lazy and have bad parents.

The source of the problem is not external. Also calories are getting too much attention recently, moderation is where it is you do not need to watch calories just use common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

I've never seen a person who eats and drinks in moderation without starving themselves or over indulging becoming heavily overweight.
    You'd think the lack of cash in Ireland would mean smaller waistlines but people seem to be comfort eating and eating junk instead of cooking it's not that difficult perhaps he hse should offer cooking courses. And that fat tax wouldn't be a bad idea - I for one don't savage myself on rubbish I do occasionally and would be happy to pay for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

it is one of the best ways to lose Weight, 800 + cals per hour only Spinning class can match this type of cal Burn per hour.

I don't believe that for a second. Got a source? And would 800+ cals be for a class or an hour of solid sparring, because they're very different.

Here's the first table I found with a list of cals per exercise type. At a glance, looks like swimming, running, diving, skiing, cycling and rowing can all beat it.
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

So your saying we should just do nothing.. and lets see how it plays out ?

I never said that, I said that we are nowhere near as bad as you portray us to be and that research shows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Pretty extreme statement Dude.

I'm a parent myself & despite myself & OH working full time, we try to get our kids to eat healthily & involve them in sport insofar as we can.

It's a difficult balancing act & we don't always succeed.

That said, I basically agree with your statement though.

• Advertisement

Pretty extreme statement Dude.

I'm a parent myself & despite myself & OH working full time, we try to get our kids to eat healthily & involve them in sport insofar as we can.

It's a difficult balancing act & we don't always succeed.

That said, I basically agree with your statement though.

I think a level is child abuse but a child being slightly chubby is hardly a problem but when you see children who are just noticeably far too fat well that is child abuse allowing your child to not get the best start in life!

it is one of the best ways to lose Weight, 800 + cals per hour only Spinning class can match this type of cal Burn per hour.

Hate seeing people talk about stuff in this way.

Calories burnt by any exercise depend on the effort put into it and the body composition of the person doing it.

heate wrote: »
    I think a level is child abuse but a child being slightly chubby is hardly a problem but when you see children who are just noticeably far too fat well that is child abuse allowing your child to not get the best start in life!

I agree.

Despite our busy lifestyle, we involve our kids in a variety of intrests, such as Hip Hop Dancing, Beavers, & Running in the Community Games.

These activities are usually done during the week, so myself & Wifey can usually do drop-offs/attend training sessions.

Local GAA people have identified them as 'having potential' & want us to get them involved in that line.(myself & OH ourselves were both gifted athletes in our time).

We've no objection to this whatsover, but we just couldn't commit to all the travelling to training & matches that would entail.

However, we've had offers of help on that score that we're considering..

If you can get te help take it! I don't even have kids (well known that is - I think someone would have called me up by now to garnish my income if I had).
    But I do have an interest in Ireland not becoming a nation of fatties - funny thig is that the majority of exercise just involves some trainers - and less money spent on fatty foods will pay for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Comments like that drive me up the wall! You should say that a lot of parents never learned how to shop for and make quick healthy nutritious meals. You can knock up a tasty low fat meal as quickly as you like. Or spend a couple of hours on a Sunday cooking and freezing healthy meals for the week.

heate wrote: »
    If you can get te help take it! I don't even have kids (well known that is - I think someone would have called me up by now to garnish my income if I had).
    But I do have an interest in Ireland not becoming a nation of fatties - funny thig is that the majority of exercise just involves some trainers - and less money spent on fatty foods will pay for them!

I agree totally.

Unfortunately, family life nowadays is fairly hectic & way diffrent than when I was growing up in the '70s.

Our weekends are involved with catching up with household chores, visiting extended family around the country & just BEING together as a family.

For the Record, our kids are not obese, or anything like it, but I can easily see how this kind of thing can happen with genuine hard working couples.

It's the unemployed 'chipper families' with obviously overweight & illmannered kids that gets my goat.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

What about a skinny camp for skinny kids who wont eat any pie at all?

An hour or two a week to throw together frozen meals is what I grew up with.
    Mum would always have something in the freezer that was nutritious and it never seemed to tax her time wise.
    And the rest of the time something would be rustled up pretty quickly!
    Cooking doesn't actually take anytime the oven does that for you preparation for most things is less than 20 minutes.
    I eat out a lot but cook for myself and sometimes have a few friends over I take great leisure in guzzling a bottle of wine while preparing a meal for people I certainly don't spend any real time doing it.
    I often come in from work and end up eating good leftovers or having fresh food cooked within an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Lock the fat b@stards up in a concentration camp and starve them for a month, that should do the trick :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

all they need is a tapeworm

Advertisement