Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-Parent Family Payment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Never said you were or did

But you tried to put some responsibility onto the fact that I am qualified to work as a lecturer of Economics for the fact that the country is in sh*te! :rolleyes:

Now again, care to answer my question? You can just tell me you don't know if you want. I don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Why, how did things go?

Ah, so your a smarta*se as well. Fair enough.

Offy wrote: »
    Then pick a thread that doesnt have a title of "One-Parent Family Payment" to post in, that might help! Theres loads of fraud going on but this thread is titled "One-Parent Family Payment" NOT social welfare fraud.

I know, which is why we are talking about One-Parent Family payments and not others types of fraud and wrong-doing, like you're trying to.

Try to keep up old chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But you tried to put some responsibility onto the fact that I am qualified to work as a lecturer of Economics for the fact that the country is in sh*te! :rolleyes:

Now again, care to answer my question? You can just tell me you don't know if you want. I don't mind!

So, you are in economics, i rest my case

Also, a quesion for Fedor, offy and the others in the thread............

Why are you defending people defrauding the state?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

phasers wrote: »
    How do you guys know what benefits all your friends are on?

It's certainly not something I'd ever ask someone :confused:

Btw this isn't a dig or defending fraudsters, but I don't get how you all know all these intimate details about people.

This is it! There are so many stories here on boards that one knows another and he/she is getting this and that and this and the other in benefits and outright claiming it's fraud when in many cases the system allows it ie those on lone parents are allowed to earn a certain sum on top of their lone parent allowance.

Stories of one said this and that and bla bla and then coming on boards and saying that it's fraud. If one is committing fraud do you actually think he/she would be going about singing it from the rooftops.
    I reckon such people complaining with such stories are looking in from the outside, and perhaps they may see a new pair of shoes and jumping to the conclusion that it's fraud. Speculation about one's financial circumstances and that's all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

So, you think that the Social eradicating all of the payments they need to make to those defrauding the state, Social Welfare spending wouldn't come down?

May I ask you to explain how you think this works?

No I dont think that, I think they would fill us full of BS and continue to moan about disadvantaged groups and continue to fill us full of BS figures. Does that explain my views well enough? In other works I dont trust the government, no matter what figures they give us. For how many years have FF and now FG filled us full of BS? Why would I trust anything they say?

So, you are in economics, i rest my case

Checkmate my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ziggy23 wrote: »
    This pisses me off so much. I'm a genuine lone parent my son's father pays nothing towards him doesnt want to see him cos he is a sh1tebag:mad: The amount of people I know living with their partners and claiming OPFP. They are the ones who give genuine folk a bad name. There is never any house checks done just a letter every 6 months or so to say you are still entitled to it.
    That's a plus one from me but I look at them as couples who falsely claim OPFA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is going well, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Try to keep up old chap!
    ohh condescending, I guess AH is the right place of it, welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

gcgirl wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of talk from the current minister for social devastation(thanks david Norris for that one) about fraud and particular OPFA, which seems to justify for all the right wingers that wrongly stereotypes OPFA as young, uneducated and sitting on their ass getting every possible allowance know to man,and opening our legs to every known man along with it, 4*4 anyone , like Handy Sandy off bloody republic of telly, when it's simply not true, average age is 37 and we are educated And also compared to other European country's who have fantastic childcare facilities which allow a lot of people to go back retrain/college/work we have nothing in Ireland unless your willing to pay excessive prices, my older bro is in France and he is pretty much sorted childcare wise + lack of any job creation in this country, just seen Sean Sherlock on pt tonight, if we want more money in coffers we need people back working but they are doing zero

Agreed! Loan parents need to be able to get back to work if they are to get out of the poverty trap.
    I would much rather if the state helped out me with childcare costs rather than giving me the OPFA.
    How else is a single parent supposed to work with a young child? Their whole wage would be swallowed up with childcare costs leaving them nothing to pay bills or live on.
    The changes, in the budget, to the amount you can earn before your OPFA is affected will make it even harder for single parents who are trying to get out to work!
    I would love to be working and paying my own way, but the way things are it is very hard for a single parent to be able to afford to work.

No I dont think that, I think they would fill us full of BS and continue to moan about disadvantaged groups and continue to fill us full of BS figures. Does that explain my views well enough? In other works I dont trust the government, no matter what figures they give us. For how many years have FF and now FG filled us full of BS? Why would I trust anything they say?

That's not the point. The point was, I put forward a simple Economic prinicple, a simple budgetry procedure and got a reply saying "Know I know why you don't teach economics".

I'm not sure whether it was scarier that he thought that was an intelligent reply or that so many people "thanked" it and also thought it was intelligent, therefore failing to understand how the budget works.

Also, a quesion for Fedor, offy and the others in the thread............

Why are you defending people defrauding the state?

Im not, Im making fun of you. This is after hours NOT State Benefits, not Politics, nor is it somewhere to have a serious conversation!!! At the end of the day this thread HAS been done to death and personally I couldnt care less whos defrauding who. I just like making fun of people that like to 'blame' others. You should try it sometime.

Is that because you mind your own business?

Yes thats probably why! :) I think a lot more people should try it by the sounds of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

This pisses me off so much. I'm a genuine lone parent my son's father pays nothing towards him doesnt want to see him cos he is a sh1tebag:mad: The amount of people I've heard of living with their partners and claiming OPFP. They are the ones who give genuine folk a bad name. There is never any house checks done just a letter every 6 months or so to say you are still entitled to it.

If he's such a ****ebag, why were you on your back with your legs in the air with him?

MOD Note: Banned

That's not the point. The point was, I put forward a simple Economic prinicple, a simple budgetry procedure and got a reply saying "Know I know why you don't teach economics".

I'm not sure whether it was scarier that he thought that was an intelligent reply or that so many people "thanked" it and also thought it was intelligent, therefore failing to understand how the budget works.

What are you like?? you take yourself way too seriously, if you want a serious discussion on budgetary matters, there is an appropriate forum for that. I just want to know what you have against lone parents, thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

This pisses me off so much. I'm a genuine lone parent my son's father pays nothing towards him doesnt want to see him cos he is a sh1tebag:mad: The amount of people I've heard of living with their partners and claiming OPFP. They are the ones who give genuine folk a bad name. There is never any house checks done just a letter every 6 months or so to say you are still entitled to it.

I agree with you that it is the people who defraud OPFP that give people a bad name but it is also the people who jump on the bandwagon of "all single parents are lazy b!tches spitting out babies and making a career of it" that gives genuine single parents a bad name.
    I am a single parent of 3 kids. I get €280 per week OPFP. My ex pays €180 per week to social welfare towards it. He also pays me €100 per week which is subtracted from my rent allowance. So I get €24 per week rent allowance per week rather than €124. Which means I get €124 per week from social welfare for me and my 3 kids. So Im hardly fleecing peoples taxes am I.
    I am also educated, only a diploma I admit but still educated but my youngest child is disabled so I cant work as I dont have anyone else to look after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

As I said in another thread it's obviously tough on single parent family's BUT why don't the government pay for childcare? The single parent could then up-skill or work. With the current system why would they bother, it's not worth their while.
    If single parents had the opportunity to work it would make society a lot better. Instead of sitting at home they are actually doing something for the economy, not taking from it.

Oh i wouldn't pass comment on anybody else's spelling if i were you

• Advertisement

What are you like?? you take yourself way too seriously, if you want a serious discussion on budgetary matters, there is an appropriate forum for that. I just want to know what you have against lone parents, thats all

Then keep your ignorance to yourself next time friend, it only makes you look silly ;)

And again, I have nothing against lone parents. At no point have I ever said anything against lone-parents either on or off this thread. If you have that idea then I dunno where you got it from but if a comment somewhere has given you that idea then you could point it out to me and I could clarify.

Oddjob wrote: »
    If he's such a ****ebag, why were you on your back with your legs in the air with him?

See this is the kind of crap single parents have to put up with all the time! People feel that they can be as rude and condesending to us as they like, it makes me so angry! :mad:

Sitec wrote: »
    As I said in another thread it's obviously tough on single parent family's BUT why don't the government pay for childcare? The single parent could then up-skill or work. With the current system why would they bother, it's not worth their while.
    If single parents had the opportunity to work it would make society a lot better. Instead of sitting at home they are actually doing something for the economy, not taking from it.

Im a single parent and I work :) God I feel so proud of me :) Really I am, three kids, do I get a medal????

Oh i wouldn't pass comment on anybody else's spelling if i were you

i should be I.......:p

Then keep your ignorance to yourself next time friend, it only makes you look silly ;)

And again, I have nothing against lone parents. At no point have I ever said anything against lone-parents either on or off this thread. If you have that idea then I dunno where you got it from but if a comment somewhere has given you that idea then you could point it out to me and I could clarify.

No it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This thread has been done to death. Sad, sad, sad. I expect all this grassing up of single parents will end the recession, well done people.
    Im sute the government will thank you with lower taxes. After all its your money and Im sure they want to give it back to you.
    I always suspect its people that earn crappy wages that do the grassing, perhaps Im wrong?

Yeah, I think you're wrong. I don't earn crappy wages, but I do have a problem with people defrauding the state. And why wouldn't I, cause that is my tax money?!? But I think the single parents issue is way more complex than that. And I have a real problem with the amount of birth parents in this country who pay nothing (men mostly, but a few women). And what I feel is nothing against lone parents (who to be honest, I admire to bits), my issue is that if we had a rigorous system for pursuing the 'abandoning' parent, the country would be in a much better state. I believe every child needs 2 parents and that the current system doesn't give both their rights and reponsibilities equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    gcgirl wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of talk from the current minister for social devastation(thanks david Norris for that one) about fraud and particular OPFA, which seems to justify for all the right wingers that wrongly stereotypes OPFA as young, uneducated and sitting on their ass getting every possible allowance know to man,and opening our legs to every known man along with it, 4*4 anyone , like Handy Sandy off bloody republic of telly, when it's simply not true, average age is 37 and we are educated And also compared to other European country's who have fantastic childcare facilities which allow a lot of people to go back retrain/college/work we have nothing in Ireland unless your willing to pay excessive prices, my older bro is in France and he is pretty much sorted childcare wise + lack of any job creation in this country, just seen Sean Sherlock on pt tonight, if we want more money in coffers we need people back working but they are doing zero

Agreed! Loan parents need to be able to get back to work if they are to get out of the poverty trap.
    I would much rather if the state helped out me with childcare costs rather than giving me the OPFA.
    How else is a single parent supposed to work with a young child? Their whole wage would be swallowed up with childcare costs leaving them nothing to pay bills or live on.
    The changes, in the budget, to the amount you can earn before your OPFA is affected will make it even harder for single parents who are trying to get out to work!
    I would love to be working and paying my own way, but the way things are it is very hard for a single parent to be able to afford to work.
    The min any lone parent in Ireland to try and cover costs and childcare was something in the region of €23k and that's only with only 1 child in mind , they've zero support childcare structure with zero job creation and with the current changes it's madness

No it doesn't

You're right, it makes you look ignorant.....:pac:

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Yes thats probably why! :) I think a lot more people should try it by the sounds of this thread!

In fairness, I wouldn't try to push someone into dobbing somebody in for social welfare fraud as it's their decision.

BUT...... if someone knows people who are defrauding the state and don't report it, they waive their right to then go and complain when the budget comes around and the government raise income tax or cut spending in something that effects them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think you're wrong. I don't earn crappy wages, but I do have a problem with people defrauding the state. And why wouldn't I, cause that is my tax money?!? But I think the single parents issue is way more complex than that. And I have a real problem with the amount of birth parents in this country who pay nothing (men mostly, but a few women). And what I feel is nothing against lone parents (who to be honest, I admire to bits), my issue is that if we had a rigorous system for pursuing the 'abandoning' parent, the country would be in a much better state. I believe every child needs 2 parents and that the current system doesn't give both their rights and reponsibilities equally.

I dont, I say defraud away if you can get away with it. In first year, many years ago, one of my teachers said "the difference between smart students and stupid students is that stupid students get caught". I agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement