Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-Parent Family Payment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Typical rubbish attitude which has a massive part to play in why we're in the sh*t we're in

Two wrongs don't make a right! Nobody has denied that others aren't doing it. But just because others ARE doing it, doesn't make it right for everyone else to!

I didnt say it was ok for people to defraud the OPFP I asked why single parents are constantly being attacked on this forum and why they are all treated as if they are defrauding. Why are there no threads about single people screwing social welfare? A lot of people on here seem to have a problem with single parents. I cant help but think its a lot of bitter men who cant deal with the fact that women have other options now rather than staying in relationships/marriages that they are not happy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How do you guys know what benefits all your friends are on?

It's certainly not something I'd ever ask someone :confused:

Btw this isn't a dig or defending fraudsters, but I don't get how you all know all these intimate details about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

In fact only recently the Dept of Social Welfare concluded a huge investigation into thousands of OPFP claimants and found very few cases of fraud. It appears to be very common nowadays for people to go looking for scapegoats for current economic hardship they are experiencing in terms of tax hikes, wage cuts and so on, and single parents seem to be especially targetted, to my mind very unfairly.
    Listen up, people. The bankers and Fianna Fail screwed you, not single parents, who are paying disproportionately with the cuts to child benefit and welfare in the latest and recent budgets.
    If you have ACTUAL EVIDENCE of fraud, present it to the Dept of Social Welfare and they will act on it swiftly. If you just want to bitch about your taxpayer's money being squandered, I suggest you direct your attention to the banking bailout instead, If you just hate single parents and want to rant a load of spoof, prejudice and lies about them, I suggest you go and throw balls of your own excrement at yourself.
    That's all. :)

Really, I taught they saved 100million in the first 7 months of the year from this kind of fraud. Higher then any other type

Really, I taught they saved 100million in the first 7 months of the year from this kind of fraud. Higher then any other type

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The ratting out is strong in this thread. I wonder would ye go to the people you intend to rat on and tell them your intentions?? would ye fook. Snakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I didnt say it was ok for people to defraud the OPFP I asked why single parents are constantly being attacked on this forum and why they are all treated as if they are defrauding. Why are there no threads about single people screwing social welfare?

There are. There's threads about people on the welfare every 2 minutes on After Hours. you must be new here!! If you've failed to miss welfare threads on AH then there's no hope for you!
    A lot of people on here seem to have a problem with single parents. I cant help but think its a lot of bitter men who cant deal with the fact that women have other options now rather than staying in relationships/marriages that they are not happy in.

Women? Who said anything about women?

You know a single parent can be a man too right? How insensitive of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I didnt say it was ok for people to defraud the OPFP I asked why single parents are constantly being attacked on this forum and why they are all treated as if they are defrauding. Why are there no threads about single people screwing social welfare? A lot of people on here seem to have a problem with single parents. I cant help but think its a lot of bitter men who cant deal with the fact that women have other options now rather than staying in relationships/marriages that they are not happy in.

I don't think single parents are attacked more than anyone else (accused of defrauding the social welfare system) TBH. Maybe you're just particularly sensitive to the issue for some reason?

Anyway, my tuppence is that we should end the system whereby you don't have to declare the father's name on the child's birthcert. I do think that if you don't you should have a reduced level of one parent allowance. It's unfair to the state, and to the child. It means you can't pursue the father for child support and that the state has to take up the slack. And that the kid potentially doesn't know who their father is (which is horrifically unfair to them).

And I do understand that not everyone (tiny percentage) won't want to put the father's name down (because they don't know who he is, or if it's incest or rape something awful), but the majority of 'unknown' fathers out there are present, and should participate. Especially the ones who are still in a relationship with the mother!!!!

fedor.2. wrote: »
    The ratting out is strong in this thread. I wonder would ye go to the people you intend to rat on and tell them your intentions?? would ye fook. Snakes.

Of course you wouldn't. That would be borderline retarded now wouldn't it?

"Alright lads? Here, remember the 6 of yas went on that speight of burgleries and thought you were getting away with it but got arrested the other day and face being buggered by massive tattood men for the next 10 years in prison? Well it was me who ratted yas out! I even gave them your addresses and details of other past crimes you've been involved in!

Anyway, enough about that, what are yas drinking? Mine's a Bulmers!"

Honestly I think there are very very few people who would put "father unknown" on their childs birthcert just so that they can claim OPFP. Who would do that to their child.

Mr stuffins- I'm not new to this forum and I know men can be single parents as well but we both know in this country the vast majority of single parents are women. So no shame on me really.

Of course you wouldn't. That would be borderline retarded now wouldn't it?

"Alright lads? Here, remember the 6 of yas went on that speight of burgleries and thought you were getting away with it but got arrested the other day and face being buggered by massive tattood men for the next 10 years in prison? Well it was me who ratted yas out! I even gave them your addresses and details of other past crimes you've been involved in!

Anyway, enough about that, what are yas drinking? Mine's a Bulmers!"

Oh is this thread about burglaries? my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nope. You're conflating two utterly different investigations. In 2008, a full scale investigation into all social welfare fraud brought in over 100 million from OPFP fraud. It brought in nearly half a billion overall. Proportionately, the most fraudulent cases related to old age pensions. Yet you don't see the elderly repeatedly smeared as fraudsters on boards. The recent investigation was by Revenue, examining the payment of the one personal family tax credit. It found 6,400 cases which were problematic, and of those only 1,339 had their credit removed. (The bulk of these cases related to single men claiming for the credit without contributing to the upkeep of their children, incidentally. Revenue don't investigate entitlements to welfare payments, which is a separate investigation conducted by Welfare.)

Oh is this thread about burglaries? my bad

Don't worry about it.

Don't worry about it.

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I don't think single parents are attacked more than anyone else (accused of defrauding the social welfare system) TBH. Maybe you're just particularly sensitive to the issue for some reason?

Anyway, my tuppence is that we should end the system whereby you don't have to declare the father's name on the child's birthcert. I do think that if you don't you should have a reduced level of one parent allowance. It's unfair to the state, and to the child. It means you can't pursue the father for child support and that the state has to take up the slack. And that the kid potentially doesn't know who their father is (which is horrifically unfair to them).

And I do understand that not everyone (tiny percentage) won't want to put the father's name down (because they don't know who he is, or if it's incest or rape something awful), but the majority of 'unknown' fathers out there are present, and should participate. Especially the ones who are still in a relationship with the mother!!!!

This thread has been done to death. Sad, sad, sad. I expect all this grassing up of single parents will end the recession, well done people.
    Im sute the government will thank you with lower taxes. After all its your money and Im sure they want to give it back to you.
    I always suspect its people that earn crappy wages that do the grassing, perhaps Im wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Thats an assumption that the fathers name is not on the birth cert,most parents I know have the children's father on the birthcert, the father is on my own kids bc, and in fairness the father has to be present to sign the register if your not married, if your married it's automatically done in the hospital, my only regrete was giving them his surname as a legacy, his family have minimal input and he takes them every 2nd Saturday for a couple of hours, my family have more of an input do in fairness they should have my surname

Offy wrote: »
    This thread has been done to death. Sad, sad, sad. I expect all this grassing up of single parents will end the recession, well done people.
    Im sute the government will thank you with lower taxes.

This is possibly true. If all social welfare fraud was eradicated we'd have more money in the coffers, we could cut spending massively in this area which would have knock on effects on further budgets, concerning the likes of income tax, VAT and other types of taxes.
    I always suspect its people that earn crappy wages that do the grassing, perhaps Im wrong?

I don't see how this matters really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

And again, as in 2008, it is pensions which are proportionately by a mile the most fraudulent. When do any of you intend to start grassing up all those fraudulent seniors?

This is possibly true. If all social welfare fraud was eradicated we'd have more money in the coffers, we could cut spending massively in this area which would have knock on effects on further budgets, concerning the likes of income tax, VAT and other types of taxes.

Now i know why you dont teach economics

Im sute the government will thank you with lower taxes.

I don't see how this matters really.
    Try reading between the lines!

• Advertisement

Honestly I think there are very very few people who would put "father unknown" on their childs birthcert just so that they can claim OPFP. Who would do that to their child.

A LOT of people would do this. It has reletively minimal effects on the future of the child when compared to the benefits for the parent who looks to do such a thing in order to manipulate the state. If you don't believe people do this, then I can assure you you're wrong.

[uqote] Mr stuffins- I'm not new to this forum and I know men can be single parents as well but we both know in this country the vast majority of single parents are women. So no shame on me really.[/QUOTE]

If you are not new then I have no idea how you have been able to miss the almost daily threads of social welfare.

Post of the year.

You deny this is the case? You deny that eradicating social welfare fraud would lead to cuts in social welfare spending?

I'd rather not have to.

You deny this is the case? You deny that eradicating social welfare fraud would lead to cuts in social welfare spending?

I'd rather not have to.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

she got her rent allowance, fis, loan parent, childrens allowance, dole, you name it, she got it.

How could she possibly get loan parents, fis AND the dole?
    we asked them did they plan on getting married and they said no and laughed. "why should we, we will lose everything".

Also, you said yourself that she'd probably still get the same if they were married so I don't see why they would think they would lose everything,

They'd still get childrens allowance, they'd still get rent allowance, they'd probably claim nearly as much in the dole if they went to social welfare as a couple so they wouldn't really lose anything at all.

I'm not saying that they didn't say it but i've heard this story loads of times... and then they said "no we'd lose everything", if these people manage to claim each and every thing that the state lets them claim and seem to be so aware of how to screw the system over then I'm sure that they know they would be just as well off going legit!!

A LOT of people would do this. It has reletively minimal effects on the future of the child when compared to the benefits for the parent who looks to do such a thing in order to manipulate the state. If you don't believe people do this, then I can assure you you're wrong.

[uqote] Mr stuffins- I'm not new to this forum and I know men can be single parents as well but we both know in this country the vast majority of single parents are women. So no shame on me really.

If you are not new then I have no idea how you have been able to miss the almost daily threads of social welfare.[/QUOTE]

You obviously dont have kids. Do you think it would affect you if father unknown was on your birthcert? I know it would fairly sicken me:(

I have seen all of the welfare threads on AH if they dont start out beating up single parents they end up that way.

Why?

It would be best if I didn't just presume the point you were trying to make don't you think?

You obviously dont have kids. Do you think it would affect you if father unknown was on your birthcert? I know it would fairly sicken me:(

I have seen all of the welfare threads on AH if they dont start out beating up single parents they end up that way.

That's not the point I was making. If you re-read my post you'll understand.

Why?

It would be best if I didn't just presume the point you were trying to make don't you think?
    The point I was trying to make is that you cant see the light of day.

• Advertisement

What have you got against single parents though. Be honest, whats the problem?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement