Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Would that tender include Traffic Corps and RSU vehicles? Surely not. Assuming the replacement vehicles will be Transits, Mondeos and Focus'.

The largest size engine available in the Mondeo is a 2.5 @ 220PS. Is that enough power for a traffic vehicle? I thought they would need at least a 250hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hogzy wrote: »
    Would that tender include Traffic Corps and RSU vehicles? Surely not. Assuming the replacement vehicles will be Transits, Mondeos and Focus'.

The largest size engine available in the Mondeo is a 2.5 @ 220PS. Is that enough power for a traffic vehicle? I thought they would need at least a 250hp.

Ford do a 3.0litre petrol mondeo. Not available in Ireland. Most motorway TC advanced cars are 3.0litre Mondeos.

Any 07 TC mondeo with alloys, sun roof and fog light is either 2.5 or 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hooch wrote: »
    Ford do a 3.0litre petrol mondeo. Not available in Ireland. Most motorway TC advanced cars are 3.0litre Mondeos.

There are no new model mondeo TC cars though are there?

The new model mondeo doesnt have anything bigger than 2.5 though according to wikipedia.

There are no new model mondeo TC cars though are there?

The new model mondeo doesnt have anything bigger than 2.5 though according to wikipedia.

Im talking about the older 07 Mondeo, sorry. Don't know about the newer one from 08 onwards.

Wonder will they scrap the single yellow stripe. In spite of TC funding continuously disappearing, they still seem to be using it on most cars. The cars in the recent photos on the gallery are even getting the bonnets decalled (yellow block around the word GARDA on the front).

Single yellow stripe, though I'm sure it's cheap and easy to apply, should be long gone by now.

Also, does the contract link posted on the previous page say that they're spending €2.5m?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Hooch wrote: »

Fairly sure both the 2.5V6 and 3.0 have been discontinued and have been replaced with the 2.0 Ecoboost 203ps. For all the cars going forward that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Traffic corps, maybe, rsu I doubt it, Theres a separate tender for police vans on the site. So this one is just for patrol cars.

EDIT: Link to van tender http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN351396

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Of course, those 2.5's are whats in the Focus ST's and a lot of Volvo T5's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Pity Ford don't do a proper Police special, would be ideal for a tender like this. Something based on a Mondeo, with a more powerful engine, extra protection, a security screen and other features.

Of course, those 2.5's are whats in the Focus ST's and a lot of Volvo T5's :)

That's a different engine. The 2.5 in the ST and Volvo's is a 5 pot Turbo, but it's a V6 N/a in the Mondeo. The V6 isn't in production anymore.

Very few manufacturers are building powerful large capacity petrol engines these days, it will be interesting to see what police forces do in the next few years with diesel engines becoming more and more mainstream, and decent performance petrol engines being phased out.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Pity Ford don't do a proper Police special, would be ideal for a tender like this. Something based on a Mondeo, with a more powerful engine, extra protection, a security screen and other features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Hooch... Your just teasing us all now.. Shame on you ;)

Two nice buses.. Love the front of them!

Haha, I knew about the american ones, I meant a european spec one. Don't those american ones have 3.5l engines, I can imagine the look of horror on the commisioners face after seeing the fuel bill for a fleet of them :pac:

That's a different engine. The 2.5 in the ST and Volvo's is a 5 pot Turbo, but it's a V6 N/a in the Mondeo. The V6 isn't in production anymore.

Very few manufacturers are building powerful large capacity petrol engines these days, it will be interesting to see what police forces do in the next few years with diesel engines becoming more and more mainstream, and decent performance petrol engines being phased out.

Yes and isn't that whats in the mk4, the volvo 5 cylinder ? The V6 was in the older mk3 ones with about 170bhp ?

And regarding decent performance petrol engines being phased out, i wouldn't agree, just more of a case that their a lower cc these days with turbos.

Yes and isn't that whats in the mk4, the volvo 5 cylinder ? The V6 was in the older mk3 ones with about 170bhp ?

And regarding decent performance petrol engines being phased out, i wouldn't agree, just more of a case that their a lower cc these days with turbos.

Nope, fairly sure that the MK4 had the V6. Dont think the Mk4 got a turbo petrol engine at all in production models.

Yes, they are coming in lower CC guise now, but that itself leads to potential reliability issues, highly strung small cc'd turbo engines getting used very hard doesn't usually end well. Not only that, but most of these small engined turbo's are fairly poor performance-wise.

Nope, fairly sure that the MK4 had the V6. Dont think the Mk4 got a turbo petrol engine at all in production models.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/mondeo/hatchback-2007/36944/
    Yes, they are coming in lower CC guise now, but that itself leads to potential reliability issues, highly strung small cc'd turbo engines getting used very hard doesn't usually end well. Not only that, but most of these small engined turbo's are fairly poor performance-wise.

Off topic but I do agreed, its early days (especially for the Gardai ) with these new engines. Interested to see how Ford's new 1.0 gets on.

I'll stop now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

mmcn90 wrote: »

They do. It's called Volvo.

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Lads, there is nothing better than a discussion on the Garda fleet that gets this discussion thread alive.

I am delighted to see that Ford got the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Anyone know what specific vehicles Ford are providing? Once it's not the Ford Ka! :p

Probably a load of these? Hopefully some mondeos too

• Advertisement

Anyone know what specific vehicles Ford are providing? Once it's not the Ford Ka! :p

Probably a load of these? Hopefully some mondeos too

They don't make those Focuses anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

They don't make those Focuses anymore.

No, they make these focuses. Very nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

There is a 2011 Toyota Avensis estate now in our district HQ, it was sent up from another division down the country, it has Two Hundred and Eight thousand kilometers on the clock, the log book shows it was doing on average Two hundred kilometers per tour, apparently it got serviced every month, the list of parts replaced is unreal, hence why its now a DMR car. Police specials have to be the way forward, how long can a family car do this kind of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

This Garda Boat is probably going on a back of a trailer and on the way to Galway for the Volvo Boat Race.

There is a 2011 Toyota Avensis estate now in our district HQ, it was sent up from another division down the country, it has Two Hundred and Eight thousand kilometers on the clock, the log book shows it was doing on average Two hundred kilometers per tour, apparently it got serviced every month, the list of parts replaced is unreal, hence why its now a DMR car. Police specials have to be the way forward, how long can a family car do this kind of work!

Thats a lot for a year and a half. I assume like Ford, Toyota won't stand over these cars after 300,000km ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

As long as the family car option is cheaper than the special. We all know how great the short term thinking is in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Seriously crime in that district they should have two district cars hate to see the fuel bill.

I have heard stations in limerick that the district avenais is in the garage once a week. Heard same about one in cork surprise the car lastest to 280,000.

Have to say I do love the look of the estate version of the Toyota I would like one myself

POGAN wrote: »
    Seriously crime in that district they should have two district cars hate to see the fuel bill.

I have heard stations in limerick that the district avenais is in the garage once a week. Heard same about one in cork surprise the car lastest to 280,000.

Have to say I do love the look of the estate version of the Toyota I would like one myself

Could the recent ending of Kearys Toyota Franchise have anything to do with the reliability of the Avensis I wonder?

That said, they are a terrible car compared to the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

sgthighway wrote: »
    This Garda Boat is probably going on a back of a trailer and on the way to Galway for the Volvo Boat Race.

On the back of a trailer; nah! 'Through the lock, Head due west (barring obstacles) and when there's no more land to starboard bear right 'til there is.

Keep her lit for Gaillimh then; no bother if the right crew are on board.

• Advertisement

On the back of a trailer; nah! 'Through the lock, Head due west (barring obstacles) and when there's no more land to starboard bear right 'til there is.

Keep her lit for Gaillimh then; no bother if the right crew are on board.

So it's on the back of a trailer then....

Advertisement