Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Would guards here rather driver automatics over manuals ?

I ask because those Fords above are autos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Manual everytime. Auto just doesn't provide the same amount of control

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Would guards here rather driver automatics over manuals ?

I ask because those Fords above are autos.

Agree manual over auto anytime, lack power in pursuits are bad enough.

Remeber rsu in limerick complain about auto xc70 lacking power

Agreed manual every time for me to. The right autobox can be good for everyday driving, sometimes (and i emphasize sometimes). VW DSG though seem to be the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Agreed manual every time for me to. The right autobox can be good for everyday driving, sometimes (and i emphasize sometimes). VW DSG though seem to be the business.

Definitely manual, Americans are just... Simpler than some, and need automatic gearboxes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

just seen the 5 series bmw estate garda car going southbound on the m50 this afternoon and been driven the way its suppose to be....."hard"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

.243 wrote: »
    just seen the 5 series bmw estate garda car going southbound on the m50 this afternoon and been driven the way its suppose to be....."hard"

Pics + just added on the 'gallery' ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424268&page=83

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/hoch11/Army%20Montero/Jul112flood181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

Capri wrote: »
    that must be it alright,and with your time stamp of it been in deansgrange it must have been the same car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Could still be 2011. 12 regs in the Uk start from Sept 1st 2011 until march 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Could still be 2011. 12 regs in the Uk start from Sept 1st 2011 until march 2012.

Aren't 12 regs for after March 1st 2012?

Also a Motorcheck shows LC12MHK as a 2012 BMW 3.0 530D Auto

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »

Pics + just added on the 'gallery' ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055424268&page=83

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/hoch11/Army%20Montero/Jul112flood181.jpg

So there keeping it so?:)

Great to see that car hitting the streets. Will hopefully come across it someday (doubtful though).

As someone who's a professional photographer, and who has a genuine interest in the emergency services, I do tend to photograph a lot of their stuff. However, I'm aware that the quality of the photos I take are (generally speaking) pretty good, and, although many here, and on other sites, may enjoy viewing them, it annoys me having to put watermarks on them (a watermark is text on the image).

I usually try to make these subtle by making them somewhat transparent and in the corner, so they don't disrupt the actual image too much (and so, in the event of anyone liking the photos or wanting the photographer for whatever reason, there may be future work from it, be if paid or via general interest).

So I'm a little peeved when people take photos of mine, and not only share them online (which I'm fine with) but that make a deliberate effort to completely remove the watermarks (so the photo gets butchered and my name gets removed).

With that in mind, I just thought I'd share a link to this Facebook page, which doesn't have much content, but most (all, I'd guess, but I'm saying most to be optimistic) of the photos on it seem to be lifted from the net, and, in my own case, watermarks intentionally removed (again, no problem with the photos travelling around, the further the better, but removing a watermark is a bit of a sly dig, in my opinion).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Garda-Regional-Support-Unit-RSU/254885491219116

I know at least one other poster on here has their photo on the page (he says so in the comment under the photo, but he doesn't seem to mind).

I know most will read this and think I'm a narcissistic prick, and that's fair enough, but I won't lie: It genuinely annoys me when I see my photos on the net with the watermarks intentionally cropped out.

I just thought I'd share the page incase anyone has any photos of their own on there, with any watermarks removed, and who may potentially find it as annoying as I do.

Apologies for the rant in an otherwise enthusiastic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I reckon you're being a more than fair with the distribution of photographs. Yes you are correct the removal of watermarks is simply not on. Anyone can see the effort you put into these photographs and you should at least be given crowd for that.

Did traffic actually use Avensis ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was that traffic BMW estate with a force in the UK before coming over here or is it purely just a demo model from BMW for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Aren't 12 regs for after March 1st 2012?

Also a Motorcheck shows LC12MHK as a 2012 BMW 3.0 530D Auto

I wonder is it a demo, my thoughts are based on the fact that it has an 11 reg on it, is this because it is easier to reg it as 11 and then cancel it when it goes back to the UK, instead of a 12 which may be more akward paper work wise?
    Also I suppose with an Irish reg, then it is generally regarded as an official Garda vehicle, compared to the UK plates.
    I would imagine though Traffic must be delighted to get a loan of a new vehicle never lone this beauty considering what they are hemorrhaging to the regular units.
    Still I think this may be a bitter pill for Gardai in remote stations who are lucky to source transport neverlone a patrol car. So for the sake of harmony I hope its a demo.
    I do not think this is the right time to be buying them, the message they give both to Gardai in general (I imagine) and to the general public is wrong. I can just imagine Joe Duffys' show the next time someone rings in moaning about Gardai not been able to respond to calls due to car shortages etc.

the irish reg on the bmw could be temp reg as was done with the bmws for the queen and obama visits, comes back to no records on the mywheels.ie search

could mean only testing it not keeping it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

UK reg is by date of first reg. Irish is by birthday. A car sitting in a forecourt till january 1st in ireland will get a reg for when it(officially) arrived in the country. In the UK it will get a reg for the day the paperwork was filled in. Its an anomoly that has been causing lots of problems.

I spotted the BMW X5 coming out the gate of Garda HQ this afternoon, at first I wondered what the Limerick/Cork ASU X5 was doing up there, but then I noticed it had an 11 D not a 09.

Being honest though for a yolk 2 years younger, it did not really look too different (minus the Armed Support Unit stickers of course).

So obviously she is on trial as well.

kub wrote: »
    I spotted the BMW X5 coming out the gate of Garda HQ this afternoon, at first I wondered what the Limerick/Cork ASU X5 was doing up there, but then I noticed it had an 11 D not a 09.

Being honest though for a yolk 2 years younger, it did not really look too different (minus the Armed Support Unit stickers of course).

So obviously she is on trial as well.

Cork rsu is 05 not 09 kub, was parked next to it this evening got nice few pictures of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

the irish reg on the bmw could be temp reg as was done with the bmws for the queen and obama visits
    It seems to be 'optics' rather than the law, German or UK regs on 'Irish' cars mightn't look good
    UK reg is by date of first reg. Irish is by birthday. A car sitting in a forecourt till january 1st in ireland will get a reg for when it(officially) arrived in the country. In the UK it will get a reg for the day the paperwork was filled in. Its an anomoly that has been causing lots of problems.

???? :confused: In both countries are not there a load of cars coming on the streets as soon as the new regs are officially legal so does that not negate your argument. 13 D 1 will be legal on a car that came into the state in 2012, YY 63 DFG will be legal on (1st March? ) 2013. on a car that could have been in stock since late 2012. I have NEVER come across a car that got an earlier Irish reg than the overseas reg it came in with ? :eek:

POGAN wrote: »
    Cork rsu is 05 not 09 kub, was parked next to it this evening got nice few pictures of it

Sorry Pogan, you are correct, my mistake. Did you post the picture?

Sorry Pogan, you are correct, my mistake. Did you post the picture?

Your cool man il put up later I'm on my iPhone won't leave it post il put on flicker when I get home

Your cool man il put up later I'm on my iPhone won't leave it post il put on flicker when I get home

Pogan if you have a chance give us a link ;)

Sorry Kub i put it there today on flicker heres a link to my page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61432778@N03/7562281894/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Sorry Kub i put it there today on flicker heres a link to my page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61432778@N03/7562281894/

The wheels look much too small for the car!

The wheels look much too small for the car!

Better handling i would say but you know tyres are expensive smaller tyres smaller price:)

That facebook page is after annoying me.

Left a nicely worded message asking them to remove my photos (or at least re-instate them with the watermarks) and my comment was removed.

So I went through the Facebook Copyright Protection process and had the photos taken down from the albums. Realised I missed a few from their 'wall posts' (that they uploaded themselves) but said I'd leave it be.

Anyway, a Google search lead me back to page earlier on, and the most recent comment on the page is calling me an asshole for reporting the images ( :rolleyes: ). So now I've had to report the wall posts, too (and it's a pain in the ass having to report them).

Some people are morons.

Anyway, on the brighter side of things, last week I was teaching a class in a local school. It was a week-long class (two hours per day, for five days) for girls, mostly around 12, about photography.

Anyway, to cut the story short; St. John Ambulance agreed to come up for one of the classes to let the kids photograph an ambulance. The officer that came up told them a little bit about SJA, gave them a tour of the ambulance, let them run around it and photograph it and she played with the sirens for them and such, too.

It went down really well and the kids loved it (and the officer, named Angela, was excellent with them. She went above and beyond).

I took one or two quick photos myself (I was obviously keeping an eye on the kids more than anything else, but I rushed a quick few photos in, as I wanted to get a few photos for the local paper anyway, as a way of trying to thank SJA for doing it).

But yeah, I know it's not directly vehicle related, but i just wanted to share the little story and give an enormous Thank You! to Drogheda's St. John Ambulance Division.

No recession in the private security sector then!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79738346&postcount=1243

Comment meant purely as a joke.

Seriously though, where is the amber beacon for being airside? Is it the white thing behind the light bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

foreign wrote: »
    No recession in the private security sector then!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79738346&postcount=1243

Comment meant purely as a joke.

Seriously though, where is the amber beacon for being airside? Is it the white thing behind the light bar?

:D

No buddy and that's only the beginning of the vehicle replacement program ;)

Amber becon is behind the White ATC transponder. Hope this helps.

Same model as used on the K9's Disco.

Advertisement