Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Best international practice, you'll find.

No problem with Battenburg, It looks quite well if done correctly.
    Its just the way it is done on Garda vehicles i think is poor.
    Half done and the rest of the car just left white/silver unlike the way most UK forces fully do the vehicle's.

http://ambulancevisibilityblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-ideal-battenburg-layout-for-police-sedans-and-wagons.jpg

As in Dublin ? If so I don't think thats true.

That's where I was told it's based. Could have moved since but is still in DMR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    No problem with Battenburg, It looks quite well if done correctly.
    Its just the way it is done on Garda vehicles i think is poor.
    Half done and the rest of the car just left white/silver unlike the way most UK forces fully do the vehicle's.

http://ambulancevisibilityblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/the-ideal-battenburg-layout-for-police-sedans-and-wagons.jpg

There was a document recently produced about the placing of battenburg etc and it found that the pattern in the photo above while highly visible is also counter prodctive at night, as it is difficult to identify what the collection of hi-vis markings in the distance is.

Trying to find it now, but the kiwis came to the same conclusion. Half battenburg is the way the UK are going since 2004, except for motorway only vehicles, which remain full battenburg.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100413151441/http://scienceandresearch.homeoffice.gov.uk/hosdb/publications/road-policing-publications/14-04-High-Conspicuity-Li12835.pdf?view=Binary

http://www.tenone.police.govt.nz/tenone/Nov08Changestolivery.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

That's where I was told it's based. Could have moved since but is still in DMR.

It was based in cabra it was out in checkpoint with armed dos after there couple months back !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I can defiantly tell yous that I have never seen a silver marked focus anywhere near Dublin 7. I often see one out by Sutton/Howth way.
    Cabra has two Focus but one is blue and the other is a mk1 patrol car, as well as a vectra, mondeo, connect and avensis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I think there must be a few silver marked focus's going around, there is one based on the Northside & another one in the north inner city. They look well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 3581

Slightly off topic, but just wondering what was the general consensus on the surbaru forester from anybody within traffic? Some of the 2.5XT models going very cheap now.

3581 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but just wondering what was the general consensus on the surbaru forester from anybody within traffic? Some of the 2.5XT models going very cheap now.

They won't buy used cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

3581 wrote: »

We had 2.0 ltrs in traffic. Terrible machines. Noisy, top heavy and although they had some poke, not much more than the standard petrol Mondeo.

Fine family cars, but not patrol cars.

Hooch wrote: »

Fine family cars, but not patrol cars.

Same goes for a lot of the cars purchased for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

POGAN wrote: »
    They won't buy used cars

They were ok for quick 'point & squirt' on the motorway, but were fidgety in crosswinds & had serious understeer.

Required a lot of TLC, drank oil like the wife drinks wine :P

They were far from perfect, but were a move in the right direction at the time.

Of course, as soon as they realised that, they did an immediate iompaíg thart :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

The one in the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

A Range Rover coming to a station near you shortly ....... Well maybe !

http://www.herald.ie/news/cab-seizes-125m-and-luxury-82k-range-rover-29226046.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Capri wrote: »

Different model than ours, fine for NAS work but again not for AGS, it lacks the cornering needed for a patrol car and at the cost of one, a 2.2 Mondeo would be cheaper, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They're quite well liked from what I hear.

BX 19 wrote: »
    They're quite well liked from what I hear.

Waay back, Scoobys were voted 'Most reliable car' in owner surveys - must count for something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Waay back, Scoobys were voted 'Most reliable car' in owner surveys - must count for something ?

Until the Polis blew one up.... I'm led to believe Subaru Ireland sent the engine back to Japan, they'd never seen anything like it. Pistons were apparently welded into the head.

Subaru may be a lot of things but they ain't Muleproof :eek:

Then again, I doubt even an Abrams Main Battle Tank would be either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

3fullback wrote: »
    A Range Rover coming to a station near you shortly ....... Well maybe !

http://www.herald.ie/news/cab-seizes-125m-and-luxury-82k-range-rover-29226046.html

As there is no such vehicle as a "Range Rover Discovery", I'm inclined to take the report with a pinch of salt.

As there is no such vehicle as a "Range Rover Discovery", I'm inclined to take the report with a pinch of salt.

Or you could just change "Range" to "Land" and be happy that somebody made a mistake. The state got it. It doesn't say AGS got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Or you could just change "Range" to "Land" and be happy that somebody made a mistake. The state got it. It doesn't say AGS got it.

Or take the word Discovery out.

Or change the three words to "Ford Focus Estate".

Or expect a journalist to get the facts right.

Or expect a journalist to get the facts right.

Don't be silly!

But the story does say one was seized and given to the state. So I'm not doubting that. Who got it is another question. One which probably won't be answered.

Even the cars had 'taches in the old days!

41219583477387411053265.jpg

Wonder does the Garda Museum have a gallery of patrol cars since the 30's ?? :cool:

Wonder does the Garda Museum have a gallery of patrol cars since the 30's ?? :cool:

is it open last day i was there it was closed !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nice video of the Toyota Camry.

Excellent patrol car and 3.0L V6 if im not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Turner wrote: »
    Nice video of the Toyota Camry.

Excellent patrol car and 3.0L V6 if im not mistaken.

Great vid, they certainly gave the taxi a once over, nice to see. Traffic Corp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Looks like blanchs car, do see it around sometimes.

Never knew they were V6 autos, always assumed they were 2.2 :)

I like how the video is called "more bored Gardaí" and the person recording it spends nearly four minutes videoing it. Suppose it's better than Winning Streak that's on in the background.

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Ya it's traffic, its Blanchs kept so well maybe because they don't like there Kia

Advertisement