Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

POGAN wrote: »
    They blend in

Not really with them lights.... The antenna is a dead give away....

Have the rear lights improved as in one can see day and night when flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The average gouger isn't an anorak comparing lighting setups in the cars thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Luck.
    Ford won the 4x4 tender, and past winters have demonstrated their necessity, so more were bought than in the past. The Beast from the east demonstrated that if you didn't have 4x4, you were staying home. West cork even has one that isn't marked up for roads policing, and they have plenty of use for a vehicle of that type. Some have an underpowered engine though. 2.2 Duratorq is fine for a mondeo, but not for a 2 tonne pickup expected to maintain motorway speeds.
    There was a few pajeros too, I think the water unit have one, but Mitsubishi stopped making them, and have now withdrawn completely from the European market, so we'll see no more of them. That said, those we have will last forever.

The same as the original ESB rangers they where the small engines. Why do they do this to literally save a couple of euros over performance

Witcher wrote: »
    The average gouger isn't an anorak comparing lighting setups in the cars thankfully.

Unfortunately the ones they don't want to know will know though, I'm sorry but they stick out like a sore thumb....

Unfortunately the ones they don't want to know will know though, I'm sorry but they stick out like a sore thumb....

I don't know what you think DDU members do be upto that they're so desperate to stay hidden, it's the guards...not the CIA ffs:pac:

Gougers get used to the make and model of the cars, they're not there like Hawkeye picking out light clusters at 100 yards.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    I don't know what you think DDU members do be upto that they're so desperate to stay hidden, it's the guards...not the CIA ffs:pac:

Gougers get used to the make and model of the cars, they're not there like Hawkeye picking out light clusters at 100 yards.

I get bored in traffic ok;-)

I get bored in traffic ok;-)

Fair dues :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

roadmaster wrote: »
    The same as the original ESB rangers they where the small engines. Why do they do this to literally save a couple of euros over performance

They aren’t response though well not suppose to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Like the Capitol riot, security have to be ready at any moment. King of Morocco security motos just about nailed the attacker https://youtu.be/m13VQXHH4JU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Capri wrote: »
    Like the Capitol riot, security have to be ready at any moment. King of Morocco security motos just about nailed the attacker https://youtu.be/m13VQXHH4JU

Pinned by a fleet of Goldwings. That in itself is an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Wig-wag headlights, better to have full beams like at 3.02 on this NL ambulance. Seen Nordics with 2 large spotlights used in the same manner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKESQjDYG5E

I think either Midleton Distillery or the Refinery in Whitegate has a Mitsu Canter as an appliance, though theirs is much older.

That dash cam was in great spot to catch that moped getting binned...

Anyone watched that cop car workshop on Dave? It’s daytime telly and gimmicky but interesting all the same...they seem to lose a lot of squad cars to ‘tactical collisions’ by the looks of it they were repairing or writing of a car every few days...

Would gardai be trained on similar manoeuvres or is it something that’s not encouraged? Or do we just not hear about it when it doesn’t happen

A bit cheeky of the moped rider to breakdance on the bonnet of the Patrol Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Here, I would think purposefully instigating a collision with a motorcycle would generally be seen as excessive and disproportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Here, I would think purposefully instigating a collision with a motorcycle would generally be seen as excessive and disproportionate.

Depends on what they've done.

Run a few red lights - yes
    Street robbery or a smash and grab - no

Moped crime in London had become pandemic because the gougers knew the police wouldn't chase/ram bikes. Now they will, that type of crime has significantly reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Not really as it is tactical contact, which is widely implemented across most European states but not Ireland.
    There is a video of Norwegian police chasing a moped and trying to do the same contact.
    PA and GSOC would have a field day if a gard did such action, that as well as the Facebook comment contributors “my little angle wouldn’t hurt a fly”.

I digress, the contact is proportional and the danger of the public is taken into account when the call is given to block. The moped gangs in London use the pathways and on coming traffic as bid to get away. It is rampant in London so I believe that why they have such calls.

I think the public would rather a tax payers patrol car get damaged than themselves or there property get damaged.

Not really as it is tactical contact, which is widely implemented across most European states but not Ireland.
    There is a video of Norwegian police chasing a moped and trying to do the same contact.
    PA and GSOC would have a field day if a gard did such action, that as well as the Facebook comment contributors “my little angle wouldn’t hurt a fly”.

I digress, the contact is proportional and the danger of the public is taken into account when the call is given to block. The moped gangs in London use the pathways and on coming traffic as bid to get away. It is rampant in London so I believe that why they have such calls.

I think the public would rather a tax payers patrol car get damaged than themselves or there property get damaged.

My point was that you don’t see that here and such action would be seen as excessive but in the most exceptional of circumstances.
    I would see that as a positive reflection of Irish society and indeed the effectiveness of our policing service in avoiding the need for such force and the high level of associated risk.

Depends on what they've done.

Run a few red lights - yes
    Street robbery or a smash and grab - no

Moped crime in London had become pandemic because the gougers knew the police wouldn't chase/ram bikes. Now they will, that type of crime has significantly reduced

Well I was referring to this country. It wouldn’t typically be seen as a reasonable use of force in response to a street robbery.

London and other UK cities are big into moped and motorcycle.

In Ireland it's very low, so low that bikes are rarely used.

I can remember back in 2000/01 bikes were much more visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't remember the last time I saw a 50cc moped on our roads. In the late 90's the place was awash with Yamaha Aerox, Peugeot Speedfight etc, I think insurance and legislation around licencing killed them off which is a shame as they were pretty much one step up from a fast pushbike in terms of complexity to get up and running.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 50cc moped on our roads. In the late 90's the place was awash with Yamaha Aerox, Peugeot Speedfight etc, I think insurance and legislation around licencing killed them off which is a shame as they were pretty much one step up from a fast pushbike in terms of complexity to get up and running.

In places like Belgium, a 50cc Moped is the only transport option for someone over 16. They can use the cycle lanes too, which helps. Thing is, if it goes wrong on a 50cc, you won't be doing speeds that will get you seriously hurt. No more so than falling off a bicycle.
    Here we have 18 year old's driving sports cars "owned" by their mum, bouncing off trees on fast country roads at 4am and killing them and their 4 mates in the back too. And we think that's better?
    The new licencing system for motorcycles was a necessary step, unfortunately the insurance companies increased their premiums meaning it is next to impossible for a novice to get on 2 wheels.
    I see it myself, at different motorcycle events, we are all old timers. The young lads have Polish or other eastern european licences. A mate gives bike lessons, most of his pupils are in their 20s and 30s.

My point was that you don’t see that here and such action would be seen as excessive but in the most exceptional of circumstances.
    I would see that as a positive reflection of Irish society and indeed the effectiveness of our policing service in avoiding the need for such force and the high level of associated risk.

Ok, it seems like a statement against a manoeuvre, I believe another commentator picked up on it that way also, maybe worded slightly different or the way you stated above. It would be a progressive move on ags part if it was back from the top down but unfortunately it isn’t.

Very true, it’s more of a continental mode of transport now. A friend of mine was in Barcelona for work and the bike units are driving the new BMW C evolutions...they a very quick and travel in twos normally.

Very true, it’s more of a continental mode of transport now. A friend of mine was in Barcelona for work and the bike units are driving the new BMW C evolutions...they a very quick and travel in twos normally.

In Malaga, a street the same size as O'Connell st is dedicated moto parking only.
    (Alameda Principal). It's the only practical solution to the narrow town centre streets.

Czech Republic They still like the clip on / magnetic roof light, remember the SDU Granadas had them, gave all round blue where the current setup here does leave room for improvement

https://youtu.be/m0e33q4tArg
    Every unmarked had them. They sat in the passengers footwell all their life, gathering mud and scratches. They connected to a 3 pin circular socket on the passenger side of the centre console, near the footwell. Same connection could power some speed guns.
    The problem with them was this.
    If you stuck them on before leaving, everyone knew who you were. If you needed them for a call, the best thing was to stop and run the cable out the open door. The observer just had to deal with the cable in his mouth for the journey.

If you stuck them on when you needed them in a hurry, you did so by the observer sticking them on, by putting his hand out the open window, and the cable trailing to his feet.
    During transit, it was important to keep a hand free as the magnets weren't as good ad you get today, and light would frequently slide off.
    When the observer had to get out of the car in a hurry 2 things happened
    1 Opening door with closed window meant cable pulled light off the roof.
    2 Opening door with open window meant observer gets caught up in the cable.
    They were more trouble than they were worth. The Dashboard strobe worked better. The combination of stand off LED strobes built into the indicator lenses , led flashers on the rear headrests is better for modern policing.
    Another problem with the magnetic roof light is it rotated like a searchlight, and was very distracting when driving. Particularly when a decision was made not to put it on the roof at all, but instead just sit it on the dash.

The solution of course was to put the socket in the roof interior, but nobody in radio workshops wanted to deal with the literal fallout from that.
    Dash strobes came along, and magnetic roof lights ended up stuck to the top (or side) of a locker somewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Back when I first got a digital camera, I kept it in the car and took photos of anything remotely interesting, so happen to have some photographic evidence of said issues.

delly wrote: »
    Back when I first got a digital camera, I kept it in the car and took photos of anything remotely interesting, so happen to have some photographic evidence of said issues.

The auld green corolla, one of the longest kept motors in the fleet....

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

The auld green corolla, one of the longest kept motors in the fleet....

It's only a few years since I saw it parked outside Pearse street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 onmia

Ah the old magnetic roof light , i had a member shake one at me on lower bridge street , tryin to cut traffic :D it wasnt even plugged in. Im nearly sure it was that green Corolla

Advertisement