Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Cork had a Camry in 1995, the Alfa replaced it, late 1997/98(2.5 Vectra came immediately after the Alfa).

I was thinking of the last Camry's in the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was thinking of the last Camry's in the 00's.

2004 was last year reg I've seen. Haven't seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Down these parts that was the time when Traffic moved away from unmarked fast cars, and went the opposite way, with battenburg Hi-Viz cars you could spot, parked on the side of a 5 mile straight stretch, as management decided whether or not it was safe to chase anyone.
    Deterrent, they called it.
    That and the camera vans operated by Gardai.
    The next proper fast unmarked down this way was the Souped up Mondeo, around 2010 with the POL checklist written in sharpie on the airbag cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Cork had a Camry in 1995, the Alfa replaced it, late 1997/98(2.5 Vectra came immediately after the Alfa).

When the Alfa all got crash you mean

POGAN wrote: »
    When the Alfa all got crash you mean

Ice, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

In relation to the Nissan and the Sabb marked patrol cars, how did they come about? Surly AGS sign with a manufacturer that won a tendering process and don’t go around buying individual cars?

justshane wrote: »
    In relation to the Nissan and the Sabb marked patrol cars, how did they come about? Surly AGS sign with a manufacturer that won a tendering process and don’t go around buying individual cars?

There was and is certain purchases.

Nissan Almera were quite common even as unmarked units.
    Not a huge number of primera.

Corolla 1.4 petrols were common too...

Huge selection over the years.

They tend to go with cheapest or what looks like the cheapest.

Sure fiats were a think too with Punto and the uleseses

Don't forget the Subaru that we had to buy after someone had an "oops" with a demo vehicle.

Don't forget the Subaru that we had to buy after someone had an "oops" with a demo vehicle.

They done well though.
    They were quick too.

There was quite a few about at one point

Think I remember seeing an unmarked Subaru knocking around Longford years ago...is there any pics of the Alfa? What Model was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Santry had a Blue Subaru jeep for a while, must try dig out the photos.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭selectamatic

White unmarked Subaru Forester used make an appearance down here in west every so often. Particularly around the Sligo area.

Be near 10 years ago at this stage though.

Story was someone in the Garage took it for a spin and pranged it, problem was they were a civvy, not a police driver. Scooby Do said, "not our problem buddy, its our only police kitted demo, we may have lost other contracts while this is being repaired. Ne never said it was ok for Non-Police to drivve. It'll cost ye".
    OPW agreed to buy 50 or so to placate the nice people at Subaru.

Or so I heard.

2005 Subaru Forester.

They worked a hard life.

Ambulance sector bought them too and there are still a few but around 2013 or so models now.

They were a very quick machine but like anything of their type they were top heavy so had to be driven with caution.

Suppose we are going that way again with Tucson and Kona just with a lot less power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

d51984 wrote: »
    Santry had a Blue Subaru jeep for a while, must try dig out the photos.

That Subaru took a some serious hits, I remember seeing being a lead car in ballymun and it rammed a transit and sent sideways. TC lad new how to use it properly,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The blue Forester used to be a regular on the M1 around Swords. It used its blending in power to catch many a speeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

delly wrote: »
    The blue Forester used to be a regular on the M1 around Swords. It used its blending in power to catch many a speeder.

It was indeed, born in Whitehall moved to Santry and then moved on its main patch was that stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Navy and wine foresters use to be up the around the airport loads. I had one myself, the 2.5XT version... absolute monster power. Think the AGS ones were 2.0XT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

The uk forces use a lot of Peugeot and Vauxhall for patrol and vans wonder would that be considered here

The uk forces use a lot of Peugeot and Vauxhall for patrol and vans wonder would that be considered here

We have fiat vans, ford too.

They would use anyone for the cheapest bid.

Although some special buys were done on tender for Skoda.

2014 Opel got a contract for mostly traffic units. Insignias

• Advertisement

We have fiat vans, ford too.

They would use anyone for the cheapest bid.

Although some special buys were done on tender for Skoda.

2014 Opel got a contract for mostly traffic units. Insignias

A disaster of a car. Not a hope of getting an adult in the back seat. (unless they are under 5'2)

Hyundai... only standard this year

Lot of Fiat Mini Vans about also. Were they last contract or this?

Lot of Fiat Mini Vans about also. Were they last contract or this?

Limited purchase not that many really around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

A disaster of a car. Not a hope of getting an adult in the back seat. (unless they are under 5'2)

Insignia A rear seat? Always had to move drivers seat if anyone sat behind me. 😡. Vectra C estates had 5" more in the back seat than the saloons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Do you think the tech guys get strobe jealousy when they see the way other police forces kit their cars with some very clever positioning of the lights? :)

Do you think the tech guys get strobe jealousy when they see the way other police forces kit their cars with some very clever positioning of the lights? :)

Don't mind police forces, some trauma docs have better bells and whistles on their (fit for purpose) vehicles than any garda vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I have found Whelen products excellent. I have used their Lin 3 LED on 3 vehicles now, swapped between each since first bought 10 years ago. All you need is a power source, a ground and a switch. They have an Irish Agent.

• Advertisement

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116343576&postcount=2234

So many stories on that wall. The K75, best garda bike ever, never seen outside the DMA for some reason.
    The Jeep Cherokee, with everything on the roof. 4 litre petrol, you got around 9mpg at motorway speed if you were lucky.
    The Honda CX and VT, from the day when radio workshops drilled holes in bikes to add lights and radio, and wired it up using lots of insulation tape.
    The CBX, when honda showed workshops there was a better way...
    The ACTUAL black mariahs.
    Do i see a dreadful Mazda there too?

Advertisement