Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see a couple of 06 Mondeo Ghia's outside GNIB.

They would be the V6 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

I see a couple of 06 Mondeo Ghia's outside GNIB.

They're a lovely machine, as is the insignia they have. The clapped out focus, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

192 Hyundais finally getting PROPER LIGHTS AND SIRENS, surprised H&S let the previous setups thru as they could be construed as posing a risk to the members ('deaf/blind'/Joe Public not being aware of the vehicle)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Met a couple of lads last night and asked the question, 12 year old Mondeo or 2 year old Hyundai.

Said he would take the Mondeo any day and it was only a 1.6 as well!!!!

Says a lot for the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Pity Skoda aren't winning more contracts. Lookimg forward to seeing them in the fleet after the recent tender win. Not sure what prices they bid or if they evnn bid for every contract but they are better cars than hyundai's, all else being equal.

Would like to see SEAT bid for contracts too.

• Advertisement

Met a couple of lads last night and asked the question, 12 year old Mondeo or 2 year old Hyundai.

Said he would take the Mondeo any day and it was only a 1.6 as well!!!!

Says a lot for the equipment.

Most were 1.8 or 2.0 petrol.....

Capri wrote: »
    192 Hyundais finally getting PROPER LIGHTS AND SIRENS, surprised H&S let the previous setups thru as they could be construed as posing a risk to the members ('deaf/blind'/Joe Public not being aware of the vehicle)

Pity they aren't looking at the BMW and Q7 along with many more since 2016 onwards as they're so poor....

Seen a transit 2017 roads policing unit and you wouldn't even know siren was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Most were 1.8 or 2.0 petrol.....

Only telling you what the man said. I wasn't going to call him a liar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

There were a few 07 mk4 (newer model) Mondeos floating about too. Lot of them were 1.6 petrol.

The earlier mk3 1.8/2.0 was the one to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Strange that the Mondeo doesent seem to have been widely used with UK police forces.

Most seem to have favoured Vauxhalls or the Focus with BMWs or Volvos for traffic.

The Avensis fleet that the Gardai bought in 2011/2012 seem to be mostly replaced with Hyundais by now.

• Advertisement

Pity they aren't looking at the BMW and Q7 along with many more since 2016 onwards as they're so poor....

Seen a transit 2017 roads policing unit and you wouldn't even know siren was on.

Hope they haven't cut corners on PPE or Firearms like they did with the lights/sirens.. Surely somebody should have checked them out on the roads instead of the dark echo chamber of the Garage...:D "YEAH PADDY, them lights and siren work GRAND, in here....." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

There were a few 07 mk4 (newer model) Mondeos floating about too. Lot of them were 1.6 petrol.

The earlier mk3 1.8/2.0 was the one to have!

Yeah the Mk4 was the 1.6 and 2.0 (both petrol and diesel). Like the 1.8 mk3 the mk4 1.6 was the detuned version @110 bhp, plus it was a heavier car again.

A few of the UK forces used the St220s as traffic cars, Essex come to mind but the T5 Volvos were always the more powerful and better car in a sense until BMW took over the whole lot probably as a result of Volvo killing off the 5 cylinder turbos and BMWs ability to make a powerful yet economical diesel......and offer better rates and aftersales services.

EI321 wrote: »
    Strange that the Mondeo doesent seem to have been widely used with UK police forces.

Most seem to have favoured Vauxhalls or the Focus with BMWs or Volvos for traffic.

The Avensis fleet that the Gardai bought in 2011/2012 seem to be mostly replaced with Hyundais by now.

Vauxhall do a police fit out from factory so I believe it's a cost thing...

Another big tender winner is Peugeot with 308 hatchback, but recently have noticed they were way too small so are now going the station wagon route.

These would be the normal day to day vehicles and usually not pursuit vehicles as the BMW X5, 330d and 530d.

I couldn't believe they're running near 400hp on the X5.

They have a huge mix in the UK and still use basically any model you can think of....

Biggest seems Vauxhall, BMW, Peugeot, Hyundai, ford focus and so on..... Not in straight order.

Vauxhall do a police fit out from factory so I believe it's a cost thing...

Another big tender winner is Peugeot with 308 hatchback, but recently have noticed they were way too small so are now going the station wagon route.

These would be the normal day to day vehicles and usually not pursuit vehicles as the BMW X5, 330d and 530d.

I couldn't believe they're running near 400hp on the X5.

They have a huge mix in the UK and still use basically any model you can think of....

Biggest seems Vauxhall, BMW, Peugeot, Hyundai, ford focus and so on..... Not in straight order.

Factory fitout should be more economical in theory, has anyone costed how much it actually costs to do each car in terms of equipment and marking. Remember the old days with the zipper in the headcloth and the wiring fitted at the factory so all you did was connect the 'blues and twos ' and you had your patrol car.

Factory fitout should be more economical in theory, has anyone costed how much it actually costs to do each car in terms of equipment and marking. Remember the old days with the zipper in the headcloth and the wiring fitted at the factory so all you did was connect the 'blues and twos ' and you had your patrol car.

UK is coming in at approximately£10k I believe and more for certain fit outs...

UK is coming in at approximately£10k I believe and more for certain fit outs...
    10k for each....?? Defo a case for getting the factory to supply ready made like the US Mondeo (Fusion )
    https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/hybrid-police-responder/

dball wrote: »

I'm a bit lost as to the intent of this 'Carabinieri' RT with a KY reg. There are real Carabinieri stationed in Ireland who might take issue with it? Bit like a chap in D4 who had a Garda emblem and siren on his Valkerie, I think he's been cautioned :rolleyes:

What Carabinieri are in Ireland? Be an issue if it said Garda

I just put G-unit on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Still an issue if those are blue lights that can be activated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Italian Embassy in Dublin has them!

source wrote: »
    Still an issue if those are blue lights that can be activated.

No doubt if they're used.

It's a proper police spec too

Uniformed Carabineiri inside the gates of the Italian Embassy, Gendarmes at the French embassy, and ******* for the Americans. Doubt there's any Gardai posted on our overseas embassies :P

Uniformed Carabineiri inside the gates of the Italian Embassy, Gendarmes at the French embassy, and ******* for the Americans. Doubt there's any Gardai posted on our overseas embassies :P

Well hope not as the other ar.ed units would be well able....

Ha e you seen the US marines

Well hope not as the other ar.ed units would be well able....

Ha e you seen the US marines

They're always nearby, hiding in plain sight so to speak, this being
    Ireland.

On another subject ...squealy Transit Connect sirens. No sure if someone in the Depot has been messing but today heard this fairly loud siren and what comes thru but a Connect :eek: And about a week ago heard the squealy siren on an X5:p .....and roof aerials making a comeback on i40's ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably no VRT on that *if* it was previously registered here. Should get original reg no. too.

Not your ornery onager

On the pic thread, it's very true not all state vehicles have D registered licence plates but these tend to be proper undercover units and customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

On the pic thread, it's very true not all state vehicles have D registered licence plates but these tend to be proper undercover units and customs.

Customs would be my guess, they have a pile of i40s

• Advertisement

Customs would be my guess, they have a pile of i40s

I would say so as the Garda units have cars that don't usually match the crap they're usually provided with such as the i30 or 40 piles of dirt.

Advertisement