Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB agent asking for my credit card number

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You should start shredding your statements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

J. Marston wrote: »
    Either trolling or as thick as pig shít. One of the two.

Of course he's trolling. But it serves as a handy opportunity to rip the piss out of him while passing on useful precautionary tips so that people reading the thread don't get caught out.

So far:
    1. Never give out your PIN.
    2. Shred all documents before binning.
    3. if in doubt, request the caller's name and role, and immediately call back the firm's official customer service desk number to clarify.
    4. If you run a company, don't give dipsh!ts access to company credit cards and go off to the Phillipines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

bluewolf wrote: »
    i didnt think people actually fell for this

They wouldn't do it if someone wasn't thick enough to fall for it, they only need a couple of successes a day to make it worth their while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Were you selected from their database to receive the free monies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭RichT

OP......... I bet that not even in your wildest dreams did you think they would still be biting after half an hour.

Well played sir! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    nope. My email password todders56

I really hate to hear about people getting ripped off like this.

Now if you just enter your bank account details and online banking password, i'll do a quick check to make sure everything is in order.

You can thank me later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It might, thats worse though because it means the scammers are local and know where the OP lives.

Might upgrade this to a garda call OP.

Other possibility is non-local ie. that they are the the people sorting out rubbish in the recycling facility. Iirc a few years BBC did an exposé on sorters pulling out bank/CC statements and 'recycling' the info on the statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

RichT wrote: »
    OP......... I bet that not even in your wildest dreams did you think they would still be biting after half an hour.

Well played sir! :D

Why thank you. ANother hour past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

..... I wouldn't give this out normally but as they could see all my recent transactions I assumed it was a genuine call.....

Sounds to me like the person calling you had a copy of your Visa statement, either one that was taken from your post, or one that you very carelessly put into your bin :eek:

If I PM you my card number and pin will you process me my prize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Trust me they did ask for my pin.

You still not getting this?

Does anyone actually shred their documents?

daveyid89 wrote: »
    You still not getting this?

No...... YOU are not getting this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ah. A troll thread then. Someone give that guy a can of coke ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Oh really now? And how exactly are you supposed to have cop on? How do you tell over the phone if they are genuine or not?

Because their a bank calling asking for your credit card number and pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

RichT wrote: »
    No...... YOU are not getting this!!!

Yes, I didn't see the latest posts before I posted mine..... shame on me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Does anyone actually shred their documents?

Yup, shredder in the office and at home.

Although the others in the office insist in tearing things up and throwing them in the bins, we should really enforce a fine or something for people who do that.

Home time for me guys. See you tomorrow under a new alias :)

Thanks for your support through this dreadful hangover. Say the boss cant wait to see the back of me. My farts were dreadful today.

And remember please do not give out your bank details

Seachmall wrote: »
    Yup, shredder in the office and at home.

Although the others in the office insist in tearing things up and throwing them in the bins, we should really enforce a fine or something for people who do that.

All documents in the workplace should be soft copy only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'd like to know how they got the transaction details. The scam would probably have failed only for that.
    Probably the same way mytics get their information.

Scammer "ok sir I have a number of transactions here, there was a big on in town there not so long ago."
    Stooge: "oh ya that would be the TV we just bought:
    Scammer " yes thats correct a TV. We also have some purchases in a shop"
    Stooge "oh the shopping?"
    Scammer "yes shopping in Tescos"
    Stooge "In Dunnes?"
    Scammer "oh yeah, almost got you there, of course it was Dunnes. Now about that PIN number, you've got a lovely speaking voice by the way."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

for everyone who didnt realise this was trolling

All documents in the workplace should be soft copy only.

I wouldn't keep any valuable information that I don't need to keep on my office computer. My home directory in encrypted but I've an awful habit of going for a smoke and while my screensaver is password protected it wouldn't be hard to get around that. And that's only keeping the other staff off my computer, we also share our connection with other offices in the building and outside of this office I don't know what protection there is.

It's a lot more difficult to identify 1000 squares of paper out of ~5,000,000 by hand than break into a computer.

for everyone who didnt realise this was trolling

Is this a movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the number format for visa cards say? Do they all begin 44xxxxxxx or somecuch? I think my visa debit starts ike that (my wallet isnt in the room so laziness sets in :) )

How much or of the start would you need in a proper order so the dont know your taking the piss while playing along? I assume if I go "ah yeah heres my details, the card number is 2718 7432 9825 5342" they would know its not a real card by the first 4 or somesuch?

I assume the security code can be any 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Home time for me guys. See you tomorrow under a new alias :)

Thanks for your support through this dreadful hangover. Say the boss cant wait to see the back of me. My farts were dreadful today.

4/10 to be honest. You shot your load when you offered your email password and said your PIN was digits in your phone number. We'll put that down to the hangover, shall we?
    And remember please do not give out your bank details

Very good advice indeed, and thanks for such a useful topic for a troll. Hopefully some innocents will have learnt something today.

Whats the number format for visa cards say? Do they all begin 44xxxxxxx or somecuch? I think my visa debit starts ike that (my wallet isnt in the room so laziness sets in :) )

How much or of the start would you need in a proper order so the dont know your taking the piss while playing along? I assume if I go "ah yeah heres my details, the card number is 2718 7432 9825 5342" they would know its not a real card by the first 4 or somesuch?

I assume the security code can be any 3?

They'd most likely have a program to check the validity of the card.

See Luhn Algorithm

Seachmall wrote: »
    I wouldn't keep any valuable information that I don't need to keep on my office computer. My home directory in encrypted but I've an awful habit of going for a smoke and while my screensaver is password protected it wouldn't be hard to get around that. And that's only keeping the other staff off my computer, we also share our connection with other offices in the building and outside of this office I don't know what protection there is.

It's a lot more difficult to identify 1000 squares of paper out of ~5,000,000 by hand than break into a computer.

I agree totally. We share an office with another company across the way. The issue is corrected now, but a few years ago strange PCs starting appearing on our company network. Turns out we were all connected on same network. Our server was totally exposed also. Just as well we do frig all

4/10 to be honest. You shot your load when you offered your email password and said your PIN was digits in your phone number. We'll put that down to the hangover, shall we?

Very good advice indeed, and thanks for such a useful topic for a troll. Hopefully some innocents will have learnt something today.

Not really. I had to make it more obvious for all the dumb asses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Banned.
    And since its nearly christmas, il make it permanent ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement