Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB agent asking for my credit card number

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    Oh really now? And how exactly are you supposed to have cop on? How do you tell over the phone if they are genuine or not?

Simple. They don't ask you for your pin number.

Edit: Wolfie got in there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

How did they get your transaction details?

...maybe there's someone in AIB on the inside helping the scammers.

Quick, call the FBI!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Bin dipping? A statement would give all details bar the requisite PIN.
    It might, thats worse though because it means the scammers are local and know where the OP lives.

Might upgrade this to a garda call OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

bluewolf wrote: »
    they DONT ASK YOU FOR YOUR PIN that's how

Sure thats exactly my issue. They DID ask me for my pin

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

dlofnep wrote: »
    And now I know why these scammers make so much money. OP, have a bit of cop on for yourself. No agent will ever ask for your pin.

Oh really now? And how exactly are you supposed to have cop on? How do you tell over the phone if they are genuine or not?

Private number asking for your card number and pin? That'd be a red flag for me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think the real hoax is the OP.

Surely nobody could be that daft as to give out their PIN number.

Got one card cancelled.Private one. Work one not so easy. My boss is in the Phillipines this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭RichT

bicardi19 wrote: »
    There's one born every minute!
    kfallon wrote: »
    One born every minute

Yep I'm suprised the OP hasn't posted that statement himself yet.

After Hours...... your first point of call for all your security fears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sure thats exactly my issue. They DID ask me for my pin

I'm out of this thread in case stupidity is catching.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Yep you've been scammed, the private number should of been a dead giveaway to be honest, they also never ask for your pin.

• Advertisement

Laisurg wrote: »
    Yep you've been scammed, the private number should of been a dead giveaway to be honest, they also never ask for your pin.

Trust me they did ask for my pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

On the plus side OP, you will never be so naive again.

Even the AIB don't know what your PIN is, and they don't want to. It's user set and then encrypted. And from a system point of view, no one needs it to do anything (i.e. check your transactions, see if you're on the best rate). Only someone about to rip you off will want your PIN.

On the plus side OP, you will never be so naive again.

Even the AIB don't know what your PIN is, and they don't want to. It's user set and then encrypted. And from a system point of view, no one needs it to do anything (i.e. check your transactions, see if you're on the best rate). Only someone about to rip you off will want your PIN.

Without my pin how do they access my account to send me my bill etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Got one card cancelled.Private one. Work one not so easy. My boss is in the Phillipines this week.

Your corporate credit card will still have a number on the back of it to call - just call them to cancel and reissue - if they need your boss' approval to reissue you'll just have to wait till he's back. What would be worse, being without your corporate card for a few weeks, or having your boss think you're extremely careless and foolish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Congrats to your boss, OP.

He's just purchased five grand worth of tractor components.

In Nigeria.

Perhaps he could pop in and pick them up on his way back from the Philippines?

Its not encrypted anyway. Its the first four numbers of my mobile phone number

Ah come on - you gave them your work card number as well? Sure you wouldn't even be authorised to agree to a rate change even if they could give you one.

You are having us on OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

PERSONAL IDentification Number....just saying

Thoie wrote: »
    Your corporate credit card will still have a number on the back of it to call - just call them to cancel and reissue - if they need your boss' approval to reissue you'll just have to wait till he's back. What would be worse, being without your corporate card for a few weeks, or having your boss think you're extremely careless and foolish?

True. Plus its most likely insured. If they do use it he can deal with all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thedoc46

Dear JohnnyTodd,

I work as an agent on behalf of AIB, I am based in the Finglas branch, We are doing random checks on customer details to confirm there details are correct, Can you please disclose to me your full credit card details, also your pin number would be helpful as i would like bleed your account dry of all money, Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards: thedoc46 (AIB Representative) :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

And your email password is passw0rd1234, and you leave a housekey under the pot plant in case you forget your own, and a spare set of car keys on the hallway table too, no doubt.

Mr Todd, can I interest you in a nice tower? One careful owner, name of Eiffel?

thedoc46 wrote: »
    Dear JohnnyTodd,

I work as an agent on behalf of AIB, I am based in the Finglas branch, We are doing random checks on customer details to confirm there details are correct, Can you please disclose to me your full credit card details, also your pin number would be helpful as i would like bleed your account dry of all money, Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards: thedoc46 (AIB Representative) :D:D:D

No way. I'm not falling for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I got that call from "BOI" about a month ago. I told them to try harder next time.

And your email password is passw0rd1234, and you leave a housekey under the pot plant in case you forget your own, and a spare set of car keys on the hallway table too, no doubt.

Mr Todd, can I interest you in a nice tower? One careful owner, name of Eiffel?

nope. My email password todders56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You're just not that smart are you. Either that or a troll.

Anyone who can see your IP address (for example, boards.ie admins) can get your personal details (name, address, etc) and now they have the PIN for your credit card. Do you use the same PIN for other things?

Its encrypted on the bank's side. Nobody at the bank can tell you what it is, furthermore they would never ask for the PIN as they don't need it to see your transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Either trolling or as thick as pig shít. One of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

later10 wrote: »
    I think the real hoax is the OP.

Surely nobody could be that daft as to give out their PIN number.

Listen to Liveline some day, some of the stuff thats comes up there is unbelievable.

Cancel all cards, including your bosses. Contact the bank and the Gardai. The private number can be traced by the Guards or courts through your mobile phone number

Sooo....

083/5/6/7...0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Narrows it down a bit. Change this as well, its too easy for others who know you to decipher.

Without my pin how do they access my account to send me my bill etc?

Ah come on, you don't think there is someone in AIB working through all 100,000 customers they have on a monthly basis entering their PIN numbers and pressing the 'print statement' button do you?

I'm off to waste my lunchbreak on something else, this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thedoc46

No way. I'm not falling for it again.

You cant blame a fella for trying ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

This thread made me lol.

Ah, OP, how silly can you be?

AIB nor any other company be it Microsoft, Eircom, ESB will ever call you asking for your details. If it does happen for some odd reason tell them you'll call them back then get your Yellow Pages out and dial that number. If you get a letter in the post from AIB asking you to contact them do not call the number on the letter, get your Yellow Pages out and dial that number.

Lesson learned I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement