Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB agent asking for my credit card number

Options
  • 12-12-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Just got a call from AIB, doing checkups on my credit cards etc. Thet said they can offer me a better rate of interest etc based on my usage of cards aborad etc.

They wanted a lot of personal details Pin number etc. I wouldn't give this out normally but as they could see all my recent transactions I assumed it was a genuine call. Perhaps I shouldnt have disclosed this.

Anyone else get this call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    Just got a call from AIB, doing checkups on my credit cards etc. Thet said they can offer me a better rate of interest etc based on my usage of cards aborad etc.

They wanted a lot of personal details Pin number etc. I wouldn't give this out normally but as they could see all my recent transactions I assumed it was a genuine call. Perhaps I shouldnt have disclosed this.

I'd ring AIB immediately and tell them about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Reverse charge call from Lagos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Oh it's going to be a cold christmas in the todd household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Oh johnny.
    What are we gonna do with you eh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

There's one born every minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

J K wrote: »
    Oh it's going to be a cold christmas in the todd household.

Migh want to change your name to Sweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Ring AIB and cancel your card, as it will be your fault when your card is maxed by a scammer as you handed over your PIN number. Haven't you seen the notices from AIB saying they would never ask for your PIN. They don't hold a record of the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I'd ring AIB immediately and tell them about this.

This ^

And quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

they could see all my recent transactions

Do you shred your bills or just put them in the bin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I rang AIB yes. They wanted the persons name but of course I forgot! It was a private number also so i cannot return the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

As far as I know, banks do not ask for your credit card number over the phone. A lot of banks expressly say that they do not ask for that. I'd say if you did give your credit card number over the phone ring up AIB and tell them you want you credit card number changed before any credit is withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭RichT

Looks ligit.....

The OP however...........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

exador wrote: »
    Migh want to change your name to Sweeney

Johny Sweeney??

As far as I know, banks do not ask for your credit card number over the phone. A lot of banks expressly say that they do not ask for that. I'd say if you did give your credit card number over the phone ring up AIB and tell them you want you credit card number changed before any credit is withdrawn.

Can this be done over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Congrats, OP.

You've just purchased five grand worth of tractor components.

In the Ukraine.

I rang AIB yes. They wanted the persons name but of course I forgot! It was a private number also so i cannot return the call.

You have got to be taking the piss.. you got a call from a private number and gave out your CC details and pin, purely because they SAID they were from the AIB?

frag420 wrote: »
    Johny Sweeney??

No need to take the mickey out of me tough guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

frag420 wrote: »
    Johny Sweeney??

Sweeney Todd...seen as he will be on his own !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

And now I know why these scammers make so much money. OP, have a bit of cop on for yourself. No agent will ever ask for your pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lamb. Of. Jaysus. :rolleyes:

One born every minute, I do hope you get this sorted asap OP!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i didnt think people actually fell for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Outta curiousity, what is your credit card number and PIN? ;)

Just joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

I like when they ring you up

Him: Can you confirm who you are by giving me all your details.

Me:Mmm buddy you rang me, can you confirm who you are by confirming
    my details

Him: I cannot give you these details.

Me: I dont know who you are, I cannot give you these details.

Him: Company protocol not to give you these details.

Me: Personal protocol not to provide these details to unknown
    calls

No need to take the mickey out of me tough guy.

Speaking of mickeys, you're about to get a financial arse-raping. Why are you even still on here, unless of course your OP is a big steaming pile of shyte?

If there's a minuet chance that this isn't a piss-take, cancel your card, immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'd like to know how they got the transaction details. The scam would probably have failed only for that.

dlofnep wrote: »
    And now I know why these scammers make so much money. OP, have a bit of cop on for yourself. No agent will ever ask for your pin.

Oh really now? And how exactly are you supposed to have cop on? How do you tell over the phone if they are genuine or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This is a piss-take, no? Why would someone be foolish enough to do this and then of all places to publish it, After Hours. Are you for serious?

There is a personal banking section for legitimate banking queries.

I'm calling http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KljuTcXd7NU/TlDsBUkly_I/AAAAAAAAAmA/xJlHiO5iHms/s1600/files_troll_2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh really now? And how exactly are you supposed to have cop on? How do you tell over the phone if they are genuine or not?

they DONT ASK YOU FOR YOUR PIN that's how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'd like to know how they got the transaction details. The scam would probably have failed only for that.

Bin dipping? A statement would give all details bar the requisite PIN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement