Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Pope visited..

Options
  • 12-12-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

The last time he visited, Pope John Paul attracted almost 1million People in Phoenix park, 300,000 in Limerick and Galway.

Its rumoured that Pope Benedict XVI will be visiting Ireland next year.

If he does will you attend his visit, if you do will it be in support or to protest?

How many would attend in your opinion 1million in 1979, how much have we changed since then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if it visits it should be arrested for covering up decades of child abuse, tried and then deported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I would be completely indifferent and carry on as usual. Just like when Barry and Liz came over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You'd easily get 1m people alright.

Irish people love a good protest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The Knights of Columbanus would love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

You'd still get huge crowds,but nowhere near the figures of '79. He might sell out the 02 though. Or Whelans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Probably hundreds of thousands will show up and it'll be deemed a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You would have all the Celtic fans out in force anyway with them being such a holy bunch and all that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd go purely to see him landing in an Imperial Shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

About three'fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say you still might get a million people or close to it. But that would probably be the ceiling. You'll get plenty of people going along just to see it, regardless of their beliefs.

However, you need to consider that in 1979 the population of Ireland was 3,368,217, whereas this year it was counted at 4,581,269.

So a million people next year would be a drop in attendance of more than 25%.

Two things worth considering are that many of the immigrants who've moved to Ireland over the last 15 years would be quite Catholic, Poles in particular, which will bolster the figures a bit. And also that any visit of the Pope would also involve something which was not seen the last time: Protests. Huge, loud and visible protests against the Pope.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see what it does bring. The Ireland of 2011 looks nothing like the Ireland of 1979, in religious terms anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I was always under the impression that the Catholic Church totally exaggerated those figures in 1979 to prove how powerful they were. If you totalled the numbers who went to see him it meant that everyone in the country saw him at least once which is total boll0x.

A couple of hundred thousand would show up to see him, maybe more if its a one off event. If he decided to apologise for the Vatican covering up decades of child abuse he would get a good few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd go purely to see him landing in an Imperial Shuttle.

The Pope always draws a big crowd, and well dressed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

bijapos wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that the Catholic Church totally exaggerated those figures in 1979 to prove how powerful they were. If you totalled the numbers who went to see him it meant that everyone in the country saw him at least once which is total boll0x.
    A lot of the diaspora would have travelled back to Ireland from the UK, as well as British Catholics, since he only visited Ireland and not the U.K.

As well as this, I'm not sure the Roman Catholic Church needed to invent figures to prove how extensive their influence was over the country, their influence really was that massive.

I'd imagine the figures are reasonably accurate alright.

However, given the worsening diplomatic relations between Ireland and The Holy See (worsening in a diplomatic way, but nevertheless...) I don't think there's a chance in Hell of the Pope going to Ireland in the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

seamus wrote: »
    If nothing else it will be interesting to see what it does bring. The Ireland of 2009 looks nothing like the Ireland of 1979, in religious terms anyway.

!?
    Its 2009 again ? Christ how much did I drink this weekend ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You'd still get huge crowds,but nowhere near the figures of '79. He might sell out the 02 though. Or Whelans.

I think if he did an acoustic set in Whelans it would go down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think if he did an acoustic set in Whelans it would go down a treat.

His predecessor knew how to work a crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Angela's just sending him over to campaign for the new Treaty, nothing to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Anyone know what the story is regarding the charges that were presented in The Hague this year is? Or is the case still ongoing?

If the Pope came here I'd love for him to be arrested, justice is justice regardless of the politics involved.

Nuremberg '34. What a gig! I still have the ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

schhhhhh ! Actung. he does not wear the swastika on his arm anymore.

gigino wrote: »
    schhhhhh ! Actung. he does not wear the swastika on his arm anymore.

I've heard he still has them on his unterhosen tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Wont support nor protest.

Huge waste of tax payers money tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

He's always had an evil, Darth Sidious look about him. At least with JP there was a kind exterior to the church's wickedness. Good ol' Benny is just too villainous looking, too easily associated with repression and the clandestine fumblings of cadaverous hands in the darkness. I doubt he'd be anywhere near as big a draw as his kindly predecessor.

Dotrel wrote: »
    Nuremberg '34. What a gig! I still have the ticket.

I think of it as the start of him selling out.

I think of it as the start of him selling out.

Nah, like the Beatles he did his best work once he stopped touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm surprisingly myself by saying this but I would probably go to protest. Not against religion, but against him specifically and the Catholic church as an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If the pope visited, id ask a few of my uncles friends from the orange lodge to come down and start booing and throwing projectiles at him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

The last time he visited, Pope John Paul attracted almost 1million People in Phoenix park, 300,000 in Limerick and Galway.

Its rumoured that Pope Benedict XVI will be visiting Ireland next year.

If he does will you attend his visit, if you do will it be in support or to protest?

How many would attend in your opinion 1million in 1979, how much have we changed since then?

Mothers, lock up your sons, the pope is coming to town. :D

Advertisement