Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Anyone else here taking cymbalta? Just took my first one of these last night (30 mg) after being prescribed them by my GP and they sent me to the moon and back, got all sorts of weird side effects from them in a matter of hours. Within a half an hour of taking it I felt hyperactive, jumpy, had excessive energy and noticed when looking in the mirror that my pupils were very dilated. Then came the most horrible nights sleep of my life, freezing cold and roasting hot all at the same time, at times i couldn't tell weather or not I was asleep or awake, my mind was racing and i don't even really know if i got any sleep last night, then first thing this morning, i vomited, and felt really lethargic immediately afterwards, an hour past, and i'm back to where I was last night feeling hyperactive and jumpy and feeling like I could go out and run a marathon. Took lexapro once before and had side effects as well but nothing as exaggerated as this..

Anyway i'm not looking for advice on weather of not I should I should be continuing these as obviously that's a conversation I need to be having with my GP, but was just wondering about other peoples experiences with Cymbalta and how they first reacted to them when they first started taking them. Also, in the long run if you feel they made a difference to you because obviously ive only been on them 1 day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Have a good Xmas guys and good mental health in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed. Have a happy christmas guys and use this time doing whatever makes you happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Doing a Christmas Day swim in the lake for Aware tomorrow!

It relates to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

subscriber wrote: »
    Anyone else here taking cymbalta? Just took my first one of these last night (30 mg) after being prescribed them by my GP and they sent me to the moon and back, got all sorts of weird side effects from them in a matter of hours. Within a half an hour of taking it I felt hyperactive, jumpy, had excessive energy and noticed when looking in the mirror that my pupils were very dilated. Then came the most horrible nights sleep of my life, freezing cold and roasting hot all at the same time, at times i couldn't tell weather or not I was asleep or awake, my mind was racing and i don't even really know if i got any sleep last night, then first thing this morning, i vomited, and felt really lethargic immediately afterwards, an hour past, and i'm back to where I was last night feeling hyperactive and jumpy and feeling like I could go out and run a marathon. Took lexapro once before and had side effects as well but nothing as exaggerated as this..

Anyway i'm not looking for advice on weather of not I should I should be continuing these as obviously that's a conversation I need to be having with my GP, but was just wondering about other peoples experiences with Cymbalta and how they first reacted to them when they first started taking them. Also, in the long run if you feel they made a difference to you because obviously ive only been on them 1 day..
    yeah,am on a sixty mg capsule of cymbalta,had very few side effects at all where theyre considered-legs spasming/jerking away involuntarily at night time-ended up strapping them together with neoprene straps from a sensory/pressure vest,headaches were very extreme with no other reason for it,and insomnia-both getting to sleep and waking up was a lot worse than normal.
    this all disappeared after a few weeks and it has been successful to a large degree.

all drugs have side effects,when the bad outweighs the good they need reviewing -it can take a few weeks for side effects to settle down.
    if are very concerned about this,check it out with the doctor-or at the least go to a pharmasist who can advise on further action.

it depends on a persons individual neurobiology,neurology and physical...ology?:confused: [whatever the word is] how they react to drugs,and cymbalta is a SNRI which affects neurobiology different to other anti depressents such as SSRIs,it is possible it is pushing the wrong levels out of whack maybe? but give meds time to work and if its the right drug will find the side effects reducing before know it.
    again,see someone medical if are at all concerned about health from side effects.

-its a good thing are having the cymbalta at night by the way,it causes drowsiness,am given it at night as well but still get a bit of drowsiness off it in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

subscriber wrote: »

You should talk to your doctor if you don't feel comfortable. Or even ring A&E, they'll be able to tell you what you need to do.

I don't know if what you listed is considered a possible side effect of the drug or not. Either way, you seem to have "reacted" in some way: whether it was caused by the drug or some form of pyschosomatic reaction I wouldn't know. But if you don't feel comfortable, talk to a doctor or qualifed expert before you make any decisions. It may be Christmas Eve, but this definitely counts as a situation where those people would be happy to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Two articles on page 3 of todays sunday independent of interest.

Titles:
    'Renowned journalist's body taken from the sea'
    'Depression is frustrating and misunderstood'

Sorry can't find them on the website for some strange reason the search doesn't pick them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Santiago Garcia

Having read this thread is it to far a stretch to assume most people are suffering depression? And to some extent it is normal? Almost?

How many people go around saying they are happy?

I only know one person who thinks life is great out of about 100. The rest hate their jobs etc.

Is depression normal? But a lot of people are not vocal?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No thats not depression. And it's got nothing to do with hating or loving your job. I love mine , most of the time!

It has little to do with sadness either. For most it's a feeling of apathy and demotivation in the extreme.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Having read this thread is it to far a stretch to assume most people are suffering depression? And to some extent it is normal? Almost?

I only know one person who thinks life is great out of about 100. The rest hate their jobs etc.

Alot of people are depressed but do not have depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

In saying that in someway i cant help but say were spoiled....

I never got much in life. and i dont really look for much but i have been telling myself im happy with the sun and air now i cant wait till summer.

But Ya i think we want more but just cant find it. so therefore were all in the same boat?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Being unhappy about your lot in life isn't the same thing as depression - from what most people here seem to find is that it isn't a general feeling of unhappiness, but rather emptiness.

It's more common than many perceive, but I wouldn't go as far as saying most people suffer from it. Often it's hard to gauge accurate figures since it affects people in different ways. Some have one or two isolated incidents over the course of a lifetime, others are more frequent/regular. Duration of illness varies aswell.

Yes, clinically depressed people don't seem to be very vocal about their illness (funny that), and perhaps because there is still a stigma attached - neither do their family/friends.

Merry Xmas to all, and if you do suffer from depression and feel the warning signs go talk to someone/see a gp/doctor - the rest of us keep an eye out and call on friends/family you might suspect
    (That's advice not just for Xmas)

DeVore wrote: »
    No thats not depression. And it's got nothing to do with hating or loving your job. I love mine , most of the time!

It has little to do with sadness either. For most it's a feeling of apathy and demotivation in the extreme.

DeV.

Actually DeV I would disagree with you there. Sometimes it is to do with sadness. I've at different points had different types of depression. The first time it was a very deep all pervading sadness. Years later I had the apathy/demotivation type. I also think there are other types. At one point over about 6 months I had constantly racing thoughts, super-analysing things from present and past trying to figure things out. I believe thats another type. It was exhausting mentally and emotionally. Looking back on it it was a very very interesting thing really. It was triggered by one thing somebody said to me one day about myself and way of dealing with things that had a very profound effect. Just one short sentence triggered changes that I believe now are what ultimately led me to come out of depression. I now believe with all the racing thoughts my emotional brain was quite literally reorganising itself - cause I sure am running a different operating system nowadays. Of course it continued a on after the 6 months but not as intense.

Its funny - even before this people used to tell me 'you think too much'. My usual retort was 'other people don't think enough'. I actually think 'you think too much' translates to 'you think too much for me to deal with'.
    Anyhow I think this kind of thing is the logical side of the head trying to figure out wtf is going on with the emotional side. It wasn't pleasant, but ultimately it was good for me.

I barely think at all now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I'm drowned myself in sherry. :(

But I feel better now.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever felt depression was benificial to you? Now by this I dont mean enjoyable, pleasent or anything like it. I mean has your depression ever helped you realise a job, relationship or situation wasnt for you?

I was going to give you an angry how dare you response, BUT actually I have thought of something that I now consider a benefit. It gave me the ability to write - to put my thoughts into words. I always sucked at that before.

I got into the habit of writing about my feelings. Sometimes as letters to people (some were sent, some were just kept), sometimes I just opened the laptop and typed away randomly what I was feeling. At first it was not much use. But over time I developed a way of doing it - basically what I did was in the heat of the emotions - I typed out what I was feeling. Just raw as I was feeling it. Then maybe a day or two later I came back to it, read it, edited it, cut bits, added bits, but crucially I made great efforts to more precisely express what I was feeling. This was key. I found that in doing that my understanding of my feelings changed and I could see things differently. The last step was to read it again after a few days and cut. Cut it down to only the most important things. Then repeat the process until I felt what I had written properly expressed what I was feeling. THIS was tremendously useful to me. Simply being able to express the feelings properly in and of itself changed the feelings.

So yes, I think I can say learning to write like this was a benefit and has been enormously useful when writing things for work etc.

That all being said - maybe if my schooling had taught me to express myself properly in the first place I wouldn't have gotten so depressed to begin with:D I think understanding or not fully understanding feelings plays a big role in depression - but thats just my opinion.

Edit: I rarely used this method when posting on boards so don't expect my posts to be finely crafted prose :P

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha :D

Big up Jonjo the Miser.

Laughing at something so trivial, everyday and troubling as depression is a good thing. I've not heard many comedians deal with depression. Clowns have been doing it for decades. I saw a clown show a few weeks ago. Good show. Part of my new jerb, one that I'm lucky to have thanks to a scheme the government set up. Maybe it will help me go on to bigger and better things.

To those feeling bad at the moment: try not to think in absolutes like, "I'll never feel good again" or "I'll never achieve." If you can raise a small smile tomorrow, at anything, even the funny pictures thread, then you'll manage. Christmas is a terrible time because it's so hectic, people don't have time for someone not willing to intrude or make a big case for themselves. A starting step could be to make yourself heard clearly here, in this thread. A lot of people have come through what you have been through. There is an "out." Take it steps at a time. If you feel alone tomorrow, think about all the people who will log on here on Christmas day. People need things like the internet and "e-friends." Some people need to post in the funny pictures thread during the busiest day of the year. They're communicating with you at that time. Be honest with yourself, but not brutal with yourself. You are capable of getting yourself out of your torment, even if it takes medicine and professional help. Try the funny pictures thread, try and see something funny tomorrow, you should allow yourself that.

If you need more, let me and this thread know about what's affecting you. People in general are good, and people do care about you, and you deserve to be cared about. You're part of a community that is dedicated to talking to you and I, just shooting the **** and philosophising about what ails you.

Big up Christmas Boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Just out of curiosity they say the best cure is to talk/Express your emotions and let yourself free?

Is it fair to say that depressed people are Good listeners. because i think its DeV Says your 'emtionless':o Which to me would mean one would have more time. and can concentrate on work. Nothing to distract you. in terms of Emotions. I probably wrong. but good to know:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just out of curiosity they say the best cure is to talk/Express your emotions and let yourself free?

Is it fair to say that depressed people are Good listeners. because i think its DeV Says your 'emtionless':o Which to me would mean one would have more time. and can concentrate on work. Nothing to distract you. in terms of Emotions. I probably wrong. but good to know:cool:

When I'm at my worst I'm an excellent listener. When I'm at my best I can't listen to people being depressed about petty stuff. Luckily it's been going on for too long to be a sign of manic depression so I know it's just a straightforward case I have. :pac:

For me with depression it's myself and circumstances that gets me out of it. During the last really bad episode I got talking to someone at a bus stop and found out he was heading to Dublin for a check-up following a heart transplant. That had me in an excellent mood for a good week and the glow lasted a long time.

Maybe I'm being a bit trite here. On reflection moments like that come along often and I'm probably showing some confirmation bias with associating certain things with getting out of a funk. I dunno, lately I've been worried I was getting back into a hole again, I've been working harder than ever to stay out of it just with thought processes and stuff. Call it self-taught CBT maybe.

That won't work for everyone. For some people it will make them worse. They'll begin to fixate on their emotions when previously they supressed them. For some people it could drive them to suicide.

Broadly, I think it's worth telling people that it's good to talk to someone. A lot of people don't have family or friends they can talk to though (I'm lucky that I have both.) And that's why a GP is a good outlet, they should be the primary listener, in the first instance anyway. Then after that it could be your psychiatrist, therapist or local mental health nurse.

Seperately, I think it's good for people to write down what is bothering them. I've been doing it for years now. I generally write to forums I'm on, one forum has an emo thread, I've written to threads in AH, I've written to the thread in the "long term illness" forum, I've talked about certain subjects in their appropriate forum on boards. I like that I may hit a chord with someone. I like that I am talking to someone, generally, but no-one in particular. And even if I don't get a reply it makes me feel good that I've shared the problem, because a problem shared is a problem halved. On occasion I've looked like a complete ****ing weirdo doing so, but it's good for me to get my thoughts out there, so I don't mind.

Maybe my depression was different to Devs. I'm schizophrenic, not clinically depressed, my depression is only a symptom of my broader mental health issues, ancilliary to the main concern. In general I think I am a good listener, but I'm not sure if that's anything to do with gaining something from depression. When I am depressed I see things in "absolutes." "I will never" do such and such... "I am a complete" failure... "I can't" help myself... "I am a total" burden to my friends and family... Generally I've been quite accepting of other people's problems when I was depressed, telling them they're being too hard on themselves, but not seeing it for myself. And at other times I can just straight up think they're a fool for thinking such things, and they should cop themselves the fcuk on. And have no sympathy for them.

I'm not sure that depression gives anyone anything, other than a fairly ****ty time of it. When people have recovered from it, I think a lot of them have a different outlook on life, especially during intense moments, like when they're really happy, sad or drunk (like me now :p)

When people with depression say they're emotionless, it's not that they're a normal person but without concerns or everyday feelings. They just feel like nothing can brighten them up, they are incredibly down on themselves, they are in almost physical pain or sickness and there will never be a remission from such. So they deaden themselves, they make it all go away and that's where the dead, emotionless feeling comes from . Some people unfortunately find that suicide is the ultimate way of making it all go away. And that's why some say people who have killed themselves seemed happier before their death: because they've had a tragic respite from a horrible condition.

On another topic, shannon_tek, I've seen chatting last night and tonight, and I think it's cool you're interested in this stuff. You seem like a really nice and genuinely interested and caring person. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them. ;)

Buceph wrote: »
    That won't work for everyone. For some people it will make them worse. They'll begin to fixate on their emotions when previously they supressed them. For some people it could drive them to suicide.
    Worst thing I can do is start thinking about things :pac:
    Maybe my depression was different to Devs. I'm schizophrenic, not clinically depressed, my depression is only a symptom of my broader mental health issues, ancilliary to the main concern. In general I think I am a good listener, but I'm not sure if that's anything to do with gaining something from depression. When I am depressed I see things in "absolutes." "I will never" do such and such... "I am a complete" failure... "I can't" help myself... "I am a total" burden to my friends and family... Generally I've been quite accepting of other people's problems when I was depressed, telling them they're being too hard on themselves, but not seeing it for myself. And at other times I can just straight up think they're a fool for thinking such things, and they should cop themselves the fcuk on. And have no sympathy for them.

I'm not sure that depression gives anyone anything, other than a fairly ****ty time of it. When people have recovered from it, I think a lot of them have a different outlook on life, especially during intense moments, like when they're really happy, sad or drunk (like me now :p)

When people with depression say they're emotionless, it's not that they're a normal person but without concerns or everyday feelings. They just feel like nothing can brighten them up, they are incredibly down on themselves, they are in almost physical pain or sickness and there will never be a remission from such. So they deaden themselves, they make it all go away and that's where the dead, emotionless feeling comes from . Some people unfortunately find that suicide is the ultimate way of making it all go away. And that's why some say people who have killed themselves seemed happier before their death: because they've had a tragic respite from a horrible condition.
    It's funny, any time I read stuff about depression or manic depression or even schizophrenia I can identify with about half (normal distribution, small standard deviation) of what it says. Even within just plain depression there's a spectrum of experiences that are more or less common across a sample.
    When it comes to schizophrenia it's got to be the most misunderstood condition ever. I assume one of the main reasons for the misunderstanding is just how scary it is/seems. Everyone hears a voice (usually of someone they know) now and then so then they imagine (inaccurately in most cases) how it would be to constantly have different voices in their head that they had to listen to. Obviously with schizophrenia the most oft-quoted cases will be those with tragic consequences, much like most depressions, manic depressions etc. which is probably what leads to most of the misunderstanding and mystique about emotional and psychological ilnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I saw this thread the last day and wasn't going to write in it until it caught my attention again tonight and I suppose I just want to get something off my chest...
    I recently found out one of my best friend is bipolar. Well from what I got from him is that he's all but diagnosed if that's possible. To be honest, I think I could deal with that but the rest is what has me stumped. He's been prescribed medication but won't go on them. He claims they're too expensive but I don't think this is the main reason for his refusal. He also told me that he's been drinking a lot. As in there's been times we've been chatting in the house and he's been steamed. That hurt the most. You think you know someone but yet you can't even realise that they're drunk when they're talking to you. Apparently he's gone into one or two of his final year exams drunk and because he feels he did well in them, he sees no problem with it. Now the thing is this guy isn't stupid at all. Probably the hardest worker in college I know and is very intelligent...but with this he either just doesn't see the problem or else (which I pretty certain is the case) is that he just doesn't want to face it, and the thought of being dependent on drugs for the forseeable future is what is stopping him from getting help. He also did a very wreckless and fairly dangerous thing recently while out with friends that he put down to his condition. The way I see it though is that at the end of the day he controls his actions, not his condition. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel he was using his condition as an excuse to be wreckless...maybe I'm too harsh but now I'm just worried about him. We're both gone home for the Christmas so I'm just hoping to God that his parents will persuade him to go on the meds for the month. I doubt they know about the drinking etc. though. I can't break his trust by going behind his back but at the same time I don't know if the doctors he's seen know about the drinking. I've told our closest other friend because I just needed to talk to someone. I think the biggest feeling I have over the whole thing is actually anger. I'd do anything to help him but I'm powerless, whereas he has the power to help himself but he won't. I just don't want to be looking back when it's too late wishing I had done something different. Yeah okay I'm more than just "worried" for him.:(

Anyways, writing that has made me realise I think I need to talk to him again and probably get professional advice over what the hell to do. :confused:

Happy Christmas everyone:)

amacachi wrote: »
    Worst thing I can do is start thinking about things :pac:

I've given up on thinking. Doesn't pay off in the long run. :D

It's funny, any time I read stuff about depression or manic depression or even schizophrenia I can identify with about half (normal distribution, small standard deviation) of what it says. Even within just plain depression there's a spectrum of experiences that are more or less common across a sample.
    When it comes to schizophrenia it's got to be the most misunderstood condition ever. I assume one of the main reasons for the misunderstanding is just how scary it is/seems. Everyone hears a voice (usually of someone they know) now and then so then they imagine (inaccurately in most cases) how it would be to constantly have different voices in their head that they had to listen to. Obviously with schizophrenia the most oft-quoted cases will be those with tragic consequences, much like most depressions, manic depressions etc. which is probably what leads to most of the misunderstanding and mystique about emotional and psychological ilnesses.

Yeah, shizoid diseases are a lot more insidious and subtle than people think. I never had voices, I just obsessed over things like whether my internal thoughts were from an internal voice or not. And I saw hidden meanings to things in places logically there shouldn't be. I still think an Emily Dickinson poem is about a psychotic break (much like "Break on through" by The Doors,) but my teacher either didn't understand me, or didn't understand the point I was making. I became obsessed with understanding the underlying meaning of things. There was no voices, or split personalities or anything like that.

I think a lot of people have some element of it in them, they just don't obsess over it, and it doesn't rise up and cause a problem for them. For me it was drugs that caused the disease to rear it's head. I'm cool now though. I haven't had a psychotic episode in about nine years. I've been close, but I knew enough about how to respond to keep it at bay.

Funnily enough, the "pychosis" thing came up here a few days ago, in the, "Things you do others could view as psychotic" thread. I posted about two psychotic episodes I had and no-one said a word. :) Maybe it was because the thread was dying, maybe it's because no-one wanted to engage with it, maybe it's because few people know what pychosis is.

This is the thread, btw. I'm the second post on that page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056489238&page=8

Cygnus wrote: »
    I saw this thread the last day and wasn't going to write in it until it caught my attention again tonight and I suppose I just want to get something off my chest...
    I recently found out one of my best friend is bipolar. Well from what I got from him is that he's all but diagnosed if that's possible. To be honest, I think I could deal with that but the rest is what has me stumped. He's been prescribed medication but won't go on them. He claims they're too expensive but I don't think this is the main reason for his refusal. He also told me that he's been drinking a lot. As in there's been times we've been chatting in the house and he's been steamed. That hurt the most. You think you know someone but yet you can't even realise that they're drunk when they're talking to you. Apparently he's gone into one or two of his final year exams drunk and because he feels he did well in them, he sees no problem with it. Now the thing is this guy isn't stupid at all. Probably the hardest worker in college I know and is very intelligent...but with this he either just doesn't see the problem or else (which I pretty certain is the case) is that he just doesn't want to face it, and the thought of being dependent on drugs for the forseeable future is what is stopping him from getting help. He also did a very wreckless and fairly dangerous thing recently while out with friends that he put down to his condition. The way I see it though is that at the end of the day he controls his actions, not his condition. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel he was using his condition as an excuse to be wreckless...maybe I'm too harsh but now I'm just worried about him. We're both gone home for the Christmas so I'm just hoping to God that his parents will persuade him to go on the meds for the month. I doubt they know about the drinking etc. though. I can't break his trust by going behind his back but at the same time I don't know if the doctors he's seen know about the drinking. I've told our closest other friend because I just needed to talk to someone. I think the biggest feeling I have over the whole thing is actually anger. I'd do anything to help him but I'm powerless, whereas he has the power to help himself but he won't. I just don't want to be looking back when it's too late wishing I had done something different. Yeah okay I'm more than just "worried" for him.:(

Anyways, writing that has made me realise I think I need to talk to him again and probably get professional advice over what the hell to do. :confused:

There's a poster in this thread who is very familiar with manic-depression. He may weigh in.

From what little I know, if he is in a "manic" stage, I don't think there's much you can do but be there to help him when he crashes, or to be there to call for help when he goes seriously off the rails and is a mortal danger to himself or others. If you are there when he's manic, try not to feel bad if he treats you badly, he's high in this stage, and concerned about feeling awesome and continueing to feel awesome. He'll do stupid ****, and he'll love doing it. Just be there to catch him when he falls.

I don't know what you can do yourself. But the most important thing is that you always feel ok and comfortable. Don't do anything you think feels dodgy, even if he asks you to do it. If you have trouble dealing with this I'm sure your Uni's health centre or Disability Support Service can help, or tell you the right people to talk to to deal with your own concerns. You don't need to talk to them about your friend, but about what you can do to feel better about this, and how you can not feel bad should he upset you during his manic phase. When he comes down he'll feel like a tosser, that's the time to try and let him know he needs help.

Also, if he hasn't been fully diagnosed I can see why he might be hesitant about medication. If he's seen a psychiatrist he should probably listen to them. If he's concerned about cost, then it's €135 per month on the drugs payment for pretty much all medicine (I'm not too sure as it's being/been raised with the new budget.) (If the medicince is cheaper than that you only pay the cheaper amount.) If he can't afford that and he has an ongoing, chronic medical condition (which bipolar disorder definitely is) then he is probably eligable for a medical card, which makes it 50cents a prescription. If he can't wait in the meantime for a medical card he can talk to his local Social Welfare Officer and they could sort something out. If he has trouble engaging with any of that, offer to go with him to those meetings. Not into the interview with him, but to the waiting room and wait for him. That always helped me.

Big ups mate. It's good that you're concerned. You're a good friend.

Cygnus wrote: »

It's a tough one. Many of the best entertainers put their "strengths" down to their bi-polarity. Depression has given us some brilliant poetry and art. Even heavy alcohol and drug use (if directed properly) can have amazing outcomes. I wouldn't ever pretend to know enough to help in this situation but the main thing is safety. I'm one of those people who can black out with drink or drugs but people (other than my closest friends) would never notice. Apparently in those situations I'll say more gay things, like start sentences with "Ah yeah, John was telling me the other night while we were bumming..." and the like. :pac:
    I understand your anger, I truly do. Even though that guy is just a friend you feel that it's up to you to look after him because as far as you can tell no-one else will. The one thing I'll say is that if he were ever going to do the worst then there's very little you or anyone could do to stop him. It almost definitely won't happen so put it to the back of your mind :) It's like everything in life as you get older, you just have to dust yourself down whenever bad things happen and do what you can beforehand to stop them.
    When it comes to meds, do what you can to get him to get medical advice but that's all you can do. Think what you can do, realistically, to help out, and once you do that you should NEVER feel bad.
    Buceph wrote: »
    I've given up on thinking. Doesn't pay off in the long run. :D
    Yeah first good drunk in a while, first time drinking alone in a while, coincidence? Been thinking a lot (with it being Christmas etc.) and tonight it's all good, last 3 times, not so much. :pac:
    Yeah, shizoid diseases are a lot more insidious and subtle than people think. I never had voices, I just obsessed over things like whether my internal thoughts were from an internal voice or not. And I saw hidden meanings to things in places logically there shouldn't be. I still think an Emily Dickinson poem is about a psychotic break (much like "Break on through" by The Doors,) but my teacher either didn't understand me, or didn't understand the point I was making. I became obsessed with understanding the underlying meaning of things. There was no voices, or split personalities or anything like that.

I think a lot of people have some element of it in them, they just don't obsess over it, and it doesn't rise up and cause a problem for them. For me it was drugs that caused the disease to rear it's head. I'm cool now though. I haven't had a psychotic episode in about nine years. I've been close, but I knew enough about how to respond to keep it at bay.

Funnily enough, the "pychosis" thing came up here a few days ago, in the, "Things you do others could view as psychotic" thread. I posted about two psychotic episodes I had and no-one said a word. :) Maybe it was because the thread was dying, maybe it's because no-one wanted to engage with it, maybe it's because few people know what pychosis is.

This is the thread, btw. I'm the second post on that page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056489238&page=8
    That extra meaning remind me when I read "The Fish" at 11, it's about heroin! :pac: I hope I remember to post more about this quote tomorrow because I'm too drunk to do it now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Finding things tough right now

efb wrote: »
    Finding things tough right now

Sorry to hear your having a tough time. Want to talk about it efb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jellybee

Me too. My mum was diagnosed with alzheimers in the summer. It's been very bad today. I'm in bed because I just want to hide away. I can't wait for this day to be over. Trying really hard to keep my depression away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

hiya lads, hope you're having a nice christmas. To anyone having a tough time, it's just one day. Sometimes when you're going through a tough time, it's better to take each day as it comes, each day is a new possibility. Look at the things you DO have ie your health, your friends, your family....whatever causes you to light up just at the thought of it.

I went down to an aunt of mine (my mother's sister) today who gave me a huge amount of hassle. It brought me back to my childhood when my father got hassle from the same people. Bloody hell, I was like a briar when I left her. But I decided that it wasn't going to affect me, it's my day to live how I please. I've had a great day with my sister, brother, his wife and son, they're great people and a wagon down in Stradbally ain't going to affect that :pac:

All the best to everybody here, you all deserve to have a peaceful happy day, every day.

I was going to give you an angry how dare you response, BUT actually I have thought of something that I now consider a benefit. It gave me the ability to write - to put my thoughts into words. I always sucked at that before.

I got into the habit of writing about my feelings. Sometimes as letters to people (some were sent, some were just kept), sometimes I just opened the laptop and typed away randomly what I was feeling. At first it was not much use. But over time I developed a way of doing it - basically what I did was in the heat of the emotions - I typed out what I was feeling. Just raw as I was feeling it. Then maybe a day or two later I came back to it, read it, edited it, cut bits, added bits, but crucially I made great efforts to more precisely express what I was feeling. This was key. I found that in doing that my understanding of my feelings changed and I could see things differently. The last step was to read it again after a few days and cut. Cut it down to only the most important things. Then repeat the process until I felt what I had written properly expressed what I was feeling. THIS was tremendously useful to me. Simply being able to express the feelings properly in and of itself changed the feelings.

So yes, I think I can say learning to write like this was a benefit and has been enormously useful when writing things for work etc.

That all being said - maybe if my schooling had taught me to express myself properly in the first place I wouldn't have gotten so depressed to begin with:D I think understanding or not fully understanding feelings plays a big role in depression - but thats just my opinion.

Edit: I rarely used this method when posting on boards so don't expect my posts to be finely crafted prose :P

I didnt mean to cause offense by it having went through suicidal ideation and every spectrum of depression both hypothesised and confirmed I didnt mean my question in a "isnt depression really benifical" sort of way. Im sorry if it came accross as such.

I dont know what I meant when I wrote that question I should have added that depression sort of spurned me to change something in my life I was unhappy about but that came only after I rose out of the depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hugs to anyone who is finding it hard today, tomorrow is another day. Today for me has been good, kids had a great time, my husband treated me, and then i saw the email from boards that others were not having a good day, so took the time to write this.

Today may not be a good day but is doesnt mean tomorrow wont be or next christmas wont be, take each day at a time.

I send my warmest wishes, i am thinking of you, if you need to have a rant go ahead and get it off your chest..... Its good to talk!

Advertisement