Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wore the Union Jack today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Why does the thread title keep changing?

Mods are having a laff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

I would point out to Zirconia that people from Northern Ireland are not British. Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

marknine wrote: »
    Sorry, I am sorry, I really don’ty, I am sorry, I really don' believe for one moment, that you wore a union jack T shirt in Dublin city centre. I’m sure you must be aware that the Union Jack flag is known as “The Flag of Oppression” throughout most of the world. Ask anyone from India or Pakistan, or any country that was once a colony of great Brittan. Although the UK and its people have done great things (and continue to do) in this world. They have within living memory, caused,,,, well let’s just say that you really need to read your own history. While you are at it, you should look into the history of Palestine and Israel, as well as our own Ulster. Don’t get me wrong, the UK is a fantastic country with great people that have and do contribute to this world in more ways than any nation. But the scars left by your four fathers, heal very slowly. If you had worn the George cross, it would not have been a problem.
    Lets also remember that if you wore the union jack in England, it would also be seen in the same way unless it was in celibration of some event like a royal wedding or something. I know this as I lived in the UK for a number of years.

im english and didnt know that but as i said i dont know much about it

The reactions are to the shirt, as oppose to the person. A Brtish person wouldn't have got that sort of reaction if they had not being wearing that shirt

I'm not condoning the reaction, it was daft. But equally, its daft to wear something like that down O'Connell St

Well then your cousin's an idiot. I'm also going to assume that what happened with the old man and brother occurred around the early 1900's

lol yeah he is and my brother got slapped in 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I'm not saying I'd be in favour of the 6 counties being handed back tomorrow, in theory I would

You don't have any claim or influence on this decision and neither do I. Northern Ireland is now a long established separate country and member of the United Kingdom and are happy to be so. If they whish to remain so for eternity then the wishes or beliefs of someone from the Republic of Ireland (like me for example) should never be taken into any consideration.

Anyway as others have pointed out, this is not really the topic we started discussing, and I'm not here to support some of the other biggoted posters (we all know who) from north of the border either.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I would point out to Zirconia that people from Northern Ireland are not British. Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland.

Okay then, they are citizens of the United Kingdom then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    Today i wore a union jack tshirt in the city centre of Dublin and was shocked at the amount of abuse i got from people. From living in London nobody wearing a national tshirt ever got abuse apart from scumbags(which are in every country unfortunately). from asking friends i have who are Irish they seem to think its a joke because i'm English , if this happened to an an Irish person in England it'd be a big deal, an unreal amount of Irish people support English teams and wear their shirts with pride yet those are the same people who were givning me abuse about my union jack shirt
    This 'you support British teams' argument gets on my nerves. Though these clubs are based in Britain the big four amongst others are owned by foreigners and field more international than British players. That they're British is a matter of mere geography, it has nothing to do with their success nor the support they command.

That argument is one of logic not politics. I ultimately agree with the OP. This nonsense of abusing the English and the Union Jack is childish and it's a shame to see how many people are wantonly closed minded almost like its cool to abuse our closest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

wears butchers apron in dublin then wonders why people react :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

Shouldn't be a big deal to wear what you were wearing, it's a matter of interpretation, some people would only see a Shankill Road / UDA flag, other would see a 'cool brittannia' motif ie; Noel Gallaghers guitar or some kind of knowing nod to UK youth culture; ie; Mods or Punk Rock, Shane MacGowan used to don a Union Jack coat back in his pre Pogues punk days.

Another issue is that we have a 'Big Brother' issue in this country, where anyone deemed to be a 'knacker' 'gay' 'a Traveller' 'a D4 head' 'culchie' in the eyes of the observer gets some sort of stupid comment or observation made about them. Interaction and Discourse are the only ways to form opinions about people not looking at them and making assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Flags and emblems still cause problems on this island. I don't think you would have got the same abuse with an England football jersey. British flag still stirs something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Next time you're wearing it take a stroll in South Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    Today i wore a union jack tshirt in the city centre of Dublin and was shocked at the amount of abuse i got from people.

Had you, in your hypothetical scenario, worn this union jack, there wouldn't be as big an issue for Irish people. Instead you wore this union jack which claims part of Ireland. Why you think Irish people would not have a problem with the butcher's apron is the surprising thing here.

You wore a Union flag on your shirt. A Union Jack hangs off a ship.

This distinction between the union flag and the union jack is a commonly-held myth.

The Union Flag or the Union Jack?

'It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea.'

/end history lesson.

caspa307 wrote: »
    mate im from london myself ... the irish are holding on to something from **** knows how long ago

They're not the only ones, clearly.

Offy wrote: »
    Common sense should suggest England is one of Irelands biggest supporters, where would we be without their help in the bailout?

The ignorance here is extraordinary.

Theres a lot of g0bsh1tes in both countries.

Including, of course, those who would like to peddle the idea that Béal Feirste/Belfast is in a different 'country' to Baile Átha Cliath/Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Dionysus wrote: »
    Including, of course, those who would like to peddle the idea that Béal Feirste/Belfast is in a different 'country' to Baile Átha Cliath/Dublin.

Same island, different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

any volunteers for an adolf eichmann t shirt in Tel Aviv? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

bayern282 wrote: »
    any volunteers for an adolf eichmann t shirt in Tel Aviv? :pac:

Just in case they don't recognise him, the better option would be the full SS dress-uniform, and a good pair of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

In fairness OP that flag symbolises a lot of bad things for millions of people, and not just in Ireland.

Same island, different country.

Same island, same country, different states. Seán Murphy of the Falls is just as Irish as Seán Murphy of Ballyer, no matter how many people continue to deny him his birthright.

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    They're not the only ones, clearly.

lmao now go back and read the rest of my post instead of reading what you think i say infact theres my post read the bold part and just go away from me you troll

mate im from london myself and put up with so much **** in limerick its a joke, everyone says the english abuse the irish but i honestly and i swear down dont know any english people that would have a go at an irish person just cause their irish, my own cousin(born in limerick lived their all his life) still has a problem with me for being english simply put the irish are holding on to something from **** knows how long ago(because i honestly dont know the specifics of the engish invading) now obviously not all irish people are like this, the same way there are arseholes in england who will abuse irish people, but its definetly more common in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

The Union Jack is offensive as it contains St. Patricks flag (the red diagonal cross),many people see the Union Jack as a flag of oppression still laying claim to all of Ireland because of this (apart from all the other historical baggage associated with it).

If you wore your national flag the St. Georges flag I for one wouldnt hold it against you and I doubt you would have got any abuse.

The Union Jack is to many Irish what the Swastika flag is to many people across the world.

nomnomnom wrote: »
    The Union Jack is offensive as it contains St. Patricks flag (the red diagonal cross),many people see the Union Jack as a flag of oppression still laying claim to all of Ireland because of this (apart from all the other historical baggage associated with it).

If you wore your national flag the St. Georges flag I for one wouldnt hold it against you and I doubt you would have got any abuse.

The Union Jack is to many Irish what the Swastika flag is to many people across the world.

genuinely didnt know it contained st patricks flag.

lmao now go back and read the rest of my post instead of reading what you think i say infact theres my post read the bold part and just go away from me you troll

mate im from london myself and put up with so much **** in limerick its a joke, everyone says the english abuse the irish but i honestly and i swear down dont know any english people that would have a go at an irish person just cause their irish, my own cousin(born in limerick lived their all his life) still has a problem with me for being english simply put the irish are holding on to something from **** knows how long ago(because i honestly dont know the specifics of the engish invading) now obviously not all irish people are like this, the same way there are arseholes in england who will abuse irish people, but its definetly more common in ireland

English people should never be abused by the Irish,the English dont know their history (as you yourself have made clear in your post).Their government has kept them ignorant of the facts and it is their Royals and the rest of the English Establishment who are in fact to blame for the oppression and other evils done here,not the everyday English citizen.

Anyone hurling abuse at English people should cop themselves on,it serves no purpose and very simply - its not very nice.

genuinely didnt know it contained st patricks flag.

Aye mate its got the Andrews,Georges and Patricks flags,they left the Welsh out for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, you just wore something with a crest, a symbol - like people do all the time, so I don't get why people are so certain you're wearing it for attention. I'm appalled to see the horrible bigotry and abuse and assumptions towards you here. The assertion that you're anti Irish - wtf?! The comparing of you wearing that in Dublin to someone walking into a loyalist area with a tricolour symbol showing. Even the swastika was mentioned! What sort of utter idiocy...?!
    Nevermind them though - seeing as they pay for Sky Sports, many of them follow Premiership teams, purchase British newspapers and magazines, watch British TV, shop in Tesco, their views aren't worth bothering with.
    The union jack is what you want to make it. I associate it with mods (the youth culture movement).

Pretty surprised at some posters here...

Also that sounded a bit harsh of me to say the English dont know their history,I meant that the English dont k]ow their hisory whpen it comes to invading and colonising other nations.Their state doesnt want them t know much about it I think.

Im not trying to say they phave no idea abouthistory,sorry if it came acrss like that.

nomnomnom wrote: »
    Aye mate its got the Andrews,Georges and Patricks flags,they left the Welsh out for some reason.
    They couldn't fit a dragon on it without it looking unbalanced.

Dudess wrote: »
    The union jack is what you want to make it.

What vacuous, inane nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So if you wore a Real Madrid jersey to a Barca game, you're telling me you would be shocked to get abuse because it's a 'free country'?
    Come on, Rosie - how is that even comparable? He wasn't at any game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement